74 replies to this topic

#21 Tom Sawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:32 AM

Can we at least get the old forest colony cave back where all can just get jam pack stuck :P And oh yeah the missile bug where they fly in sideways and then turn corners to chase you out the other side lol

#22 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:40 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 December 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

Old Therma = Literally one place to fight (the center, good luck convincing the pugs to go elsewhere), and usually whoever gets there first wins the engagement. 12v12 means people will get stuck at the entrance even more, and contribute to even worse snowball effect.

Old Terra Therma was one of the best, if not the best, settings for a domination fight. Many battles were waged in which the side holding the center desperately tried to keep the enemy out, while at the same time the one outside desperately tried to kick out the enemy inside.

And while we're at it, dump both map and game mode voting. Instead, create map-game mode pairs and select them randomly.

Edited by Mystere, 14 December 2018 - 08:45 AM.

#23 The pessimistic optimist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:44 AM

View PostMystere, on 14 December 2018 - 08:40 AM, said:

Old Terra Therma was one of the best, if not the best, settings for a domination fight. Many battles were waged in which the side holding the center desperately tried to keep the enemy out, while at the same time the one outside desperately tried to kick out the enemy inside.

The pug zapper is what we use to call the center on Terra Therma. It was fun if it was team on team but small groups on quick play it was just funny to watch all the pugs run out in to the center and die quickly.

Edited by SirSmokes, 14 December 2018 - 08:46 AM.

#24 Eatit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:08 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 14 December 2018 - 07:22 AM, said:

Those maps were awful lol. They are unsuitable for the 12v12 modes we have now and if added, people would pick them because they are dumb, then complain to the developers on these very forums that the map designers don't know what they are doing. How God damn often do HPG, Canyon and Mining Colony get picked? All the time. How often do people charge into the middle and die in a meat grinder on those maps? Every time! ... Well except HPG, because ramps confuzzle people so they just naturally nascar into a slightly slower meat grinder. You want to put these same geniuses into even tighter, meat grindier maps?

Argh! I'm triggered by your post OP.

I'm triggered by your post.

Your suggestion that picking a map you personally don't like makes a person dumb is somewhat Narcissistic.

Your suggestion that the most picked maps are the least fun doesn't make sense. Why are they picked more often if they are less fun?

I would like to see the old maps back in rotation. More than that I would like to see some new maps in the rotation. But since I don't think that will happen lets have the old ones back.

My self serving notion is that I want a greater variety of maps to play on. I'm sure there are plenty of people that disagree with me but that doesn't make them dumb, just different.

#25 Rhialto

• Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:43 AM

I would really like to play on old Terra Therma again.

Even if it's kind of present in a corner of the current version, nothing even happen there.

#26 axerion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Davion
  • Hero of Davion
  • 297 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOdenwald

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:24 AM

if those maps don´t suite the 12vs12 Quickplay mode

Put them into the Lobby - so we can pick them for classic 8vs8 matches or tournaments Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#27 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:20 PM

View PostEatit, on 14 December 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

I'm triggered by your post.

Your suggestion that picking a map you personally don't like makes a person dumb is somewhat Narcissistic.

Your suggestion that the most picked maps are the least fun doesn't make sense. Why are they picked more often if they are less fun?

I would like to see the old maps back in rotation. More than that I would like to see some new maps in the rotation. But since I don't think that will happen lets have the old ones back.

My self serving notion is that I want a greater variety of maps to play on. I'm sure there are plenty of people that disagree with me but that doesn't make them dumb, just different.

I'm definitely a little narcisisstic, but that also makes me right. I wouldn't settle on having a dumb opinion since that would make me look stupid, and I don't like looking stupid.

Moving on, I don't necessarily hate those three maps, nor do I hate the old maps. But fighting on them was awful, and so is fighting on those popular ones. Why? Because they encourage poor decision making among disorganized groups of players. There is just something about old Terra Therma Calderra for example, that players just could not resist. Match after match after match was lost on old 'Therma in precisely the same way - some idiot walks out and gets shot. A bunch follow, they get stuck. Then they get shot.

Why do people routinely pick these maps? Christ knows. But there sure are a lot of posts on the forums about bad games and stomps and nascar and so on that maybe there would be less of, if the maps weren't so trollishly good at enticing foolish behaviour. And if the old maps were reintroduced, you can bet money that the frequency of these posts would increase.

#28 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:35 PM

I loved old terra. Lights and meds would constantly run into the enemy lights and eds while the fatties and heavies either got stuck on the ramps afraid to go center or they got back shot by the fast movers. Forest city had a TON of fun with the tunnel and cave. You could ambush from inside,push both sides, wait them out or fight some place else. River city pretty much plays the way it always has. Nascar around the dam citadel.

#29 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:58 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 14 December 2018 - 12:20 PM, said:

I'm definitely a little narcisisstic, but that also makes me right. I wouldn't settle on having a dumb opinion since that would make me look stupid, and I don't like looking stupid.

Moving on, I don't necessarily hate those three maps, nor do I hate the old maps. But fighting on them was awful, and so is fighting on those popular ones. Why? Because they encourage poor decision making among disorganized groups of players. There is just something about old Terra Therma Calderra for example, that players just could not resist. Match after match after match was lost on old 'Therma in precisely the same way - some idiot walks out and gets shot. A bunch follow, they get stuck. Then they get shot.

Why do people routinely pick these maps? Christ knows. But there sure are a lot of posts on the forums about bad games and stomps and nascar and so on that maybe there would be less of, if the maps weren't so trollishly good at enticing foolish behaviour. And if the old maps were reintroduced, you can bet money that the frequency of these posts would increase.

Bro your mad at potatoes, not the map. The best map design played by spuds will still bring about the things you dont like.

#30 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:45 PM

No need to bring back the old Caustic unless you want the aesthetics. Old forest colony is way too small. Old frozen city is way too small. Old River City is way too small. They could work as Solaris maps though, or 4v4 or 8v8 private matches. I kinda liked the old Terra Therma minus the congestion of the center. If they had reworked that, it would have been fine. The middle could have been flatter, a little more like caustic but with lava and not quite as large across or with cover around the circle.

#31 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:57 PM

damn i do miss the old maps too

#32 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:09 PM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 14 December 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

Bro your mad at potatoes, not the map. The best map design played by spuds will still bring about the things you dont like.

Fair enough, but certainly making the maps a tad larger with better avenues for counterplay and cover worked out in the long run. And even though potatoes will potatoe, older maps imo will bring out the greater potatoe in most.

View PostTheLuc, on 14 December 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

damn i do miss the old maps too

Got to admit, brawling underneath Forest Colony bridge was usually the best way to spend the last 15 seconds of your 'Mechs life :P

#33 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 815 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:36 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 December 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

Those maps are no good due to common player behavior + 12v12 format we have in QP.

Old Frozen City = Bad spawn locations, literally one place to fight (around the downed dropship) and thanks to 12v12, flanking secretly via the tunnel and/or below the cliff are very hard to successfully pull off.

Old Therma = Literally one place to fight (the center, good luck convincing the pugs to go elsewhere), and usually whoever gets there first wins the engagement. 12v12 means people will get stuck at the entrance even more, and contribute to even worse snowball effect.

Old Caustic = You think LRM spam in current Caustic is bad? Old Caustic has far less cover against LRMs. You think Nascaring is bad in current Caustic? Old Caustic is even more Nascar inducing due to less rocks blocking your progress.

Old Forest Colony = In 12v12? Now that's a good joke. Even with 8v8 back then the map was too small and crowded, and choke points were too punishing.

Old River City = Yeah, lets shoot each other straight from spawn from the beginning. Those with high end PCs will really love it.

That's pretty much it as to why. At this point, getting old maps going in QP again is a lost cause since they were originally built for 8v8 fights. These old maps were never meant for 12v12 purposes. If we were using the old maps for 4v4 scouting fights for faction play, it would work again. Sadly, its not likely going to work.

#34 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 05:18 PM

This is a unique phenomenon only found in MWO.

Person 1: Let's have more sh7t!

El Bandito: I am old and veteran, I hate everything.
Few Others: NO NEW SH7T! WE LIKE EVEYRTHING THE WAY IT IS FOR TWENTY YEARS IF POSSIBLE, BUT WE WILL GET MAD AT PGI RANDOMLY AT MECHON BECAUSE, NO NEW CONTENTS!

Yup, that about sums it up.

Personally, I don't want to see old maps. I want to see old maps, but WITH TWISTS!!

"Years after devastating wars... nuclear fallout covers the planet..."
New Old Frozen City, what you see is not snow. It's salt, like in Star Wars. Temperature, not heat negative, but slightly heat positive.

"Years of pollution has done the planet in, it's now as toxic as ever..."
New Old Caustic Valley, now with a purple shade filter. Heat slightly more neutral rather than extreme heat positive, but everything looks... purple.

"The cloud finally clears as volcanic ashes settle, sun penetrates the earth with light for the first time in ages..."
New Old Terra Therma, now 70% brighter, Heat neutral, splotches of green from place to place. Instead of a lava underneath, it's a giant pool.

etc etc

BAM, razen, once again with extreme brilliance. Turned an already great idea that was brought up by... none other than myself about a year and a half ago (PS. if you look at other thread on the forum right now... that bounty idea? Also mine from about a year ago after theb33f posted the TK video. So forum, you,re welcome)

While people like nightbird make 4k posts sh7tting on other people's idea. I am continuing at a 50% original idea creation rate.

Again, you're welcome forum.

Edited by razenWing, 14 December 2018 - 05:20 PM.

#35 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:16 PM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 14 December 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

Seeing how SQ (the most populous mode) is full of potatoes, I'd rather have maps that are designed to have the potatoes not to derp too hard/too fast. Which enables players like me to lead/carry the team better.

#36 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:20 PM

View PostMystere, on 14 December 2018 - 08:40 AM, said:

And while we're at it, dump both map and game mode voting. Instead, create map-game mode pairs and select them randomly.

With limited avenues of approach it has old Therma is not good for non-organized teams to fight over. If PGI adds more pathways and cover then perhaps...

I do agree with random maps/modes.

#37 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:24 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 December 2018 - 08:56 PM, said:

If you consider pugs being more derpy than usual as fun then sure those maps are fun--the same fun as Canyon where pugs **** up almost every match.

If the maps are bad, they wont be picked? What are you smoking? MWO's population is terrible at picking good maps. Presently, they often pick small maps such as Canyon, HPG, and Mining whenever they appear just so they can fight faster, not realizing that their ineptitude snowballs those matches within 1-2 minutes for one side. When they pick old Forest, or old Frozen (and they will pick those maps cause pugs are dumb), the matches are gonna be over in 3 minutes--making it as short as their entire queue time. Such fun!

As if current MM is bad enough, now you wanna give more options for the playerbase to screw it up even harder?

As for your L2P comment, it is not cause I don't know how to play those maps that I dislike them. I simply have harder time fixing the stupidity of my teammates on those maps due to their fast pace.

I have to respectfully disagree. While fun is rather subjective and quite a few people would agree with you to some extent plenty of others would disagree. The old maps were in some ways better and is some ways worse, and I think they would still have a place. While I like a lot of the new maps I still miss some of the old ones.

I'm also rather bemused by your hatred of Canyon(and for that matter HPG and Mining). It is a good map and it gets voted on by people because it is an enjoyable map to play on. Sure, everyone has their opinions but I would take Canyon over Rubellite or Grim Plexus pretty much any chance I get, and while I like the idea of Solaris City it frankly looks and runs like ****.

#38 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:32 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 14 December 2018 - 06:24 PM, said:

I have to respectfully disagree. While fun is rather subjective and quite a few people would agree with you to some extent plenty of others would disagree. The old maps were in some ways better and is some ways worse, and I think they would still have a place. While I like a lot of the new maps I still miss some of the old ones.

Those do not have a place in 12v12 format. As other said, in Scouting those can be used and I agree.

View PostWarHippy, on 14 December 2018 - 06:24 PM, said:

I'm also rather bemused by your hatred of Canyon(and for that matter HPG and Mining). It is a good map and it gets voted on by people because it is an enjoyable map to play on. Sure, everyone has their opinions but I would take Canyon over Rubellite or Grim Plexus pretty much any chance I get, and while I like the idea of Solaris City it frankly looks and runs like ****.

Canyon is not a good map in terms of design. The D4 death valley always attracts noobs, like flies on shite. Mining and HPG are balanced maps and I do not hate them but pugs play dumber than usual on those maps, which detracts from my enjoyment.

#39 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:38 PM

Yes please.

I don't care what anybody thinks either, I miss old Therma (I like new one well enough too but...). Don't care about the predictable race to the centre or how agitating conquest could be on it....I miss it.

Come on PGI even if only for special events or something, all that is retro is steaming hot with your target mechjockies.

Do this for us Paul and you'll even be cool again like when you eliminated the knock down trolling. Been a while since you been cool Paul, win our love and adoration back, and git urself some fan boys.

Edited by Feral Clown, 14 December 2018 - 06:39 PM.

#40 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:45 PM

View PostrazenWing, on 14 December 2018 - 05:18 PM, said:

This is a unique phenomenon only found in MWO.

Person 1: Let's have more sh7t!

El Bandito: I am old and veteran, I hate everything.
Few Others: NO NEW SH7T! WE LIKE EVEYRTHING THE WAY IT IS FOR TWENTY YEARS IF POSSIBLE, BUT WE WILL GET MAD AT PGI RANDOMLY AT MECHON BECAUSE, NO NEW CONTENTS!

Yup, that about sums it up.

Personally, I don't want to see old maps. I want to see old maps, but WITH TWISTS!!

"Years after devastating wars... nuclear fallout covers the planet..."
New Old Frozen City, what you see is not snow. It's salt, like in Star Wars. Temperature, not heat negative, but slightly heat positive.

"Years of pollution has done the planet in, it's now as toxic as ever..."
New Old Caustic Valley, now with a purple shade filter. Heat slightly more neutral rather than extreme heat positive, but everything looks... purple.

"The cloud finally clears as volcanic ashes settle, sun penetrates the earth with light for the first time in ages..."
New Old Terra Therma, now 70% brighter, Heat neutral, splotches of green from place to place. Instead of a lava underneath, it's a giant pool.

etc etc

BAM, razen, once again with extreme brilliance. Turned an already great idea that was brought up by... none other than myself about a year and a half ago (PS. if you look at other thread on the forum right now... that bounty idea? Also mine from about a year ago after theb33f posted the TK video. So forum, you,re welcome)

While people like nightbird make 4k posts sh7tting on other people's idea. I am continuing at a 50% original idea creation rate.

Again, you're welcome forum.

I have to say this made me chuckle...that said so did that other pot stirring ***** poster when he started his fixation on getting dino's into MWO.

Been nice though if you didn't sort of specifically name folks, you could have gotten around it easy enough. Specially since one of those fella's you mentioned is my buddy and he's just misunderstood....by people with understanding issues.

Anyways shine on you crazy diamond.

Edited by Feral Clown, 14 December 2018 - 06:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users