74 replies to this topic

#41 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:45 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 14 December 2018 - 06:32 PM, said:

Those do not have a place in 12v12 format. As other said, in Scouting those can be used and I agree.[color=#222222]
Old Forest Colony is the only one that was a little too small in my opinion and I still had a lot of fun on it. The other ones 12v12 was plenty manageable. Old Frozen City did have options for flanking as I pulled it off on many occasions in 12v12. Yes, things got clustered up on the old maps, but lets not pretend that doesn't happen on all of the current maps as well. That being said I would happy if they were added to scouting or one of the other game modes if nowhere else.[/color]

[color=#222222]

View PostEl Bandito, on 14 December 2018 - 06:32 PM, said:

[/color]
Canyon is not a good map in terms of design. The D4 death valley always attracts noobs, like flies on shite. Mining and HPG are balanced maps and I do not hate them but pugs play dumber than usual on those maps, which detracts from my enjoyment.
Most of the maps seem to have trap areas and that doesn't make them bad. Personally I find it adds character to matches. I guess I just don't have the issue of being overly concerned about potatoes as they have existed in every online game I have ever played. You just play around them and do your thing. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't such is life.

#42 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:42 PM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 13 December 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

We all love the old maps. From what I understand however they either erased them or are stored in such a manner that they can't put them back in the rotation. This was addressed years ago by PGI and reasons given to why its not feasible. That and apparently the person who heads up the maps is embarrassed by the "quality" of those maps, in his opinion.

there is never any reason for a game company to delete assets. i still have all the assets from every mod i ever did (including various iterations and variations of models/textures), likely doomed to forever stay in their 7zip archives, but its not like they make up a lot of backup space. the potential for asset reuse in future games more than makes up for any storage costs. its cheaper to buy hard drives than to hire artists to remake stuff you already have.

the game itself hasn't changed significantly since the old maps were discontinued, so they would probibly work without modification. though i would limit them to custom games and would not be placed in qp rotation.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 December 2018 - 07:43 PM.

#43 BlackDeathLegion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:00 PM

I miss the old maps too!

Now in the case of all the lame *** folks that QQ about "those maps are too small for 12v12" n ****, think about how ALL CURRENT MAPS ONLY USE THE 4 CENTER GRIDS!!!

Old maps are perfect for 12v12. No ******* bullshitting around for 2-3mins JUST TO END UP IN THE CENTER OF ALL MAPS TO NASCAR ANYWAYS!

Let the **** fest start @ drop I say!!!

WIN WIN WIN for all!!! :)

#44 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 15 December 2018 - 12:00 AM

View PostBlackDeathLegion, on 14 December 2018 - 08:00 PM, said:

I miss the old maps too!

Now in the case of all the lame *** folks that QQ about "those maps are too small for 12v12" n ****, think about how ALL CURRENT MAPS ONLY USE THE 4 CENTER GRIDS!!!

Old maps are perfect for 12v12. No ******* bullshitting around for 2-3mins JUST TO END UP IN THE CENTER OF ALL MAPS TO NASCAR ANYWAYS!

Let the **** fest start @ drop I say!!!

WIN WIN WIN for all!!! :)

Sir, you are a shining example of why those old maps should never be reimplemented.

#45 StolenMadWolf

Rookie

• The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:28 AM

Frankly, I would just rather have bigger maps all together and force the teams to spread from their murderballs. Old maps sound interesting but the bigger maps are just essential now.

#46 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:42 AM

I want Old Terra Therma back the most. :c

#47 Herod

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:53 AM

I have been singing this tune since they were removed. I felt like most (if not all) of the "upgrades" were worse then the originals.

-Maybe- old Forest Colony is small for 12v12, but with more maps, it won't come up as much. It's OK to have a smash mouth small map once in awhile, in the same way it's ok for people endure Alpine in their AC20/SRM 50kph brawl mechs.

I'd very much enjoy old Frozen City (night) and Caustic again.

H

#48 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 15 December 2018 - 12:24 PM

Old Frozen would be great.

Dunno about Forest. I think it would be a Nightmare for light mechs

#49 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 12:27 PM

View PostBush Hopper, on 15 December 2018 - 12:24 PM, said:

Old Frozen would be great.

Dunno about Forest. I think it would be a Nightmare for light mechs

It was but, honestly, no more so than New Forest. You have the tunnel, the city, or the water to approach from and they are all easily defended from the same spot. On New Forest, you have the arch, the pass, the water, and the far beach...and all are easily defended from the same spot. The real difference is the amount of tree cover you have to block targeting and thermal, but that's token if your opponent is competent.

#50 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:58 AM

I will +10 this. Having the old maps back in rotation would be an easy nostalgia fix.

#51 Maugged

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 03:43 PM

Old map colors and atmosphere looked so much better. When they released the new maps i thought i was having a lsd trip.

Edited by Maugged, 16 December 2018 - 03:43 PM.

#52 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:01 PM

Frozen City Night. Three viewing modes, none of which let you see anyrhing. Posted Image

#53 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:48 PM

View PostMagnus Santini, on 16 December 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

Frozen City Night. Three viewing modes, none of which let you see anyrhing. Posted Image

Wut, that version was clear as day. It was Frozen City Day that was blind!

#54 The Image

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:24 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 December 2018 - 08:56 PM, said:

As for your L2P comment, it is not cause I don't know how to play those maps that I dislike them. I simply have harder time fixing the stupidity of my teammates on those maps due to their fast pace.
See, now I know you're lying.

You can't fix stupid.

#55 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:48 AM

Old Frozen and Forest were fun. The rest of the maps that were replaced are all at least slightly better than the previous, so they are unessesary imo.

Adding a Seasonal Rotation to The Current Forest Colony would be like Forest Colony Snow, the current would be summer, add in some color for fall, snow that creates new paths in winter, (like snow) and flowers and other springy things in spring.

#56 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:02 AM

View PostThe Image, on 17 December 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

See, now I know you're lying.

You can't fix stupid.

You can fix their stupidity by having enough time to carry the match before the odds become insurmountable--something small maps usually do not allow.

Edited by El Bandito, 17 December 2018 - 10:03 AM.

#57 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:06 AM

View Postjuxstapo, on 16 December 2018 - 06:58 AM, said:

I will +10 this. Having the old maps back in rotation would be an easy nostalgia fix.

This and removing the map-voting would do a lot too.
Seeing only a few maps again and again is boring.

#58 The Image

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:01 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 December 2018 - 10:02 AM, said:

You can fix their stupidity by having enough time to carry the match before the odds become insurmountable--something small maps usually do not allow.
Responding seriously to what was supposed to be an obviously funny tongue in cheek retort...

Sad days... Sad days...

Either there is a general lack of humor, or I failed to get the intent across.

Ah well...

#59 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 06:16 PM

#60 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts