Start Your Engines Event!

42 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:49 PM

Start Your Engines Event
Complete these challenges in any Mode to earn Rewards.
Earn Rewards and Buy Engines (on sale)!

#2 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:13 PM

Have fun, Everyone... I don't think I've even got a chance to start this one, let alone finish it. Being as I can be reasonably sure that I won't have the weekend due to things beyond my control, I'm already certain that I would need 2 Extra Days more on This Event to have any chance at doing reasonably. Yeah, I figured it would be best to leave a useful note just when I'm having to go offline right at the start of This Event's run. One can only hope the constructive info is useful, albeit I've probably made it transparent-yet-cryptic... -_-

~D. V. "stares at challenges and rewards... is forced to accept most of it being beyond their reach..." Devnull

#3 Pak Hammond

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTrying to run on a connection that has to cross oceans

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:12 PM

You can complete parts of each reward with any mech. It looks specific to a class but isn't, but such as components destroyed.

#4 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:34 PM

The tricky ones are :
- Earn 10 Protected Light Rewards
- Earn 15 Flanking Rewards
- Earn 10 Hit and Run Rewards

The rest builds up by itself.

#5 GamerPro4000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationSian

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for the event PGI. I completed all of them, but just a warning, the quality of quick play matches have really gone down and it gets frustrating at times. Take a 15 minute break and then come back and do the challenges.

Edited by GamerPro4000, 12 January 2019 - 10:41 AM.

#6 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:45 PM

View PostGamerPro4000, on 11 January 2019 - 08:59 PM, said:

just a warning, the quality of quick play matches have really gone down and it gets frustrating at times.

Let me guess, kamikaze teammates pushing into entire enemy teams on their own and into your field of fire trying to snag those kills?

#7 Krucilatoz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:40 PM

I would prefer having some popular engine as reward, such as LFE-300, LFE-280, XL-280, etc

pls?

#8 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:57 PM

Great event! Thanks Matt.

#9 GamerPro4000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationSian

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:09 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 11 January 2019 - 10:45 PM, said:

Let me guess, kamikaze teammates pushing into entire enemy teams on their own and into your field of fire trying to snag those kills?

yes, or everyone just stays under cover afraid to get their paint scratched. Then we get surrounded and die a gruesome death.

#10 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:44 AM

Ooooooooookay......... I got a chance to catch up with the discussion now... That's bad when I'm slow like this... :unsure:

View PostPak Hammond, on 11 January 2019 - 08:12 PM, said:

You can complete parts of each reward with any mech. It looks specific to a class but isn't, but such as components destroyed.

I just took a second look, and see what you mean. At least some of those indirect actions won't be so heavily problematic like I originally thought. However, there's still all those ones that remark of requiring a specific weight class (Kill/KMDD, Protected Weight, Kill Assist, and Victory)... That may be where I hit trouble if teams won't put on their proverbial 'Thinking Caps' and get things in gear. Thanks for making me take a second look, though! :o

View PostHumble Dexter, on 11 January 2019 - 08:34 PM, said:

The tricky ones are :

Those do require a "Strike & Fade" twist in your own combat style to do well. Lights were absolutely never meant to facetank, right? :)

View PostGamerPro4000, on 11 January 2019 - 08:59 PM, said:

Thanks for the event PGI for the event. I completed all of them, but just a warning, the quality of quick play matches have really gone down and it gets frustrating at times. Take a 15 minute break and then come back and do the challenges.

Holy [MEGA-BLEEP]... You did this whole sheet of Challenges in a mere 5 Hours?!?!?!? I totally never have those kind of odds at Event Completion. :(

View PostKrucilatoz, on 11 January 2019 - 11:40 PM, said:

I would prefer having some popular engine as reward, such as LFE-300, LFE-280, XL-280, etc

pls?

I'm gonna digress here, because I think that's not quite so necessary. On the other hand, the (C-Bills) Rewards could have stood to be double what they are, while still having the same (MC) & Cockpit Items, in order to better attract honest player effort, as well as fund Engine purchases a little more appropriately. ;)

View PostAppogee, on 11 January 2019 - 11:57 PM, said:

Great event! Thanks Matt.

Only took you 8 Hours to finish, eh? Alright... Maybe I'm over-estimating the effort that the Event will ask of me, even though I tend to meet a hard wall of difficulty every single time. Either that, or I'm about to find out how lucky you were... :mellow:

And now to get my rear out to the battlefields... I wonder what awaits me out there... :wacko:

~D. V. "still can't tell if they're over-estimating the problems ahead or not" Devnull

#11 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:18 AM

Hi, is there a glitch in the Assault portion of the event? I have 10/10 Saviour Kills and 1/5 Solo Kills, but the progress is 0%.

#12 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:23 AM

it's measured against the 1500dmg goal. 1 Dmg is equal to 1 saviour for the evaluation.

#13 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:21 AM

The tricky ones are :

The 20 UAV detections is the the only one that makes me groan, I usually only get a few to count per match which makes it a real grind.

#14 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:48 AM

Stopping by real quick, and noticing these two posts needing a really constructive answer... :blink:

View Postarcana75, on 12 January 2019 - 07:18 AM, said:

Hi, is there a glitch in the Assault portion of the event? I have 10/10 Saviour Kills and 1/5 Solo Kills, but the progress is 0%.

No, there does not happen to be a glitch. Have you piloted any Assault Mechs as of yet, in order to get Kill/KMDD or Damage or even a Victory? If not, you'll need to before a bit more shows up. Basically, you're only at "0.71% Complete" on that specific Challenge, from what little you're telling me. Read below on my reply to the other person to learn more! :o

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 12 January 2019 - 07:23 AM, said:

it's measured against the 1500dmg goal. 1 Dmg is equal to 1 saviour for the evaluation.

Actually, it's not measured in quite that manner, at least from how I'm reading your wording. The meter is designed to...
  • count up the 'Required Amounts' of all the parts of a Challenge
  • add those 'Required Amounts' into one aggregate number for the 'Grand Total'
  • add up all of 'Your Progress' on the particular Challenge so far
  • divide 'Your Progress' by the 'Grand Total'
  • multiply that "0.####..." decimal amount by 100
...and then that final value is your 'Percentage Of Completion' on the particular Challenge in question. For example, let's take the "Assault With A Deadly Weapon" Challenge, and say someone has...
  • 1/5 Solo Kills
  • 7/10 Savior Kills
  • 655/1500 Damage Dealt with an Assault Mech
  • 7/20 Kill or KMDD while using an Assault Mech
  • 1/1 Victory in an Assault Mech
(Above values are not my actuals... My completion is currently higher on this one... I made these ones up for a fast example!)

...which then comes to '671 of 1536 Total', and happens to factor out to '~43.68% Complete' on that particular Challenge in the Event's Set. Ultimately, it's all measured in 'points of value, totaled within a whole', and so progression on ALL the parts is critical in order to complete each Challenge and see actual progress. I hope you find all this information useful, and hopefully this gives anyone else that's reading this a better insight into how Event Challenge Progression is calculated. B)

...and now here I go speeding off again!!! :ph34r:

EDIT (A tiny few minutes later) :: By the way, if a PGI Developer would be willing to stop by and give their two cents on my own findings here, it would be really appreciated. I think I've hit it on the head, though! ^_^

~D. V. "Just providing some helpful & simple enlightenment about Challenges and Progression Measurement" Devnull

Edited by D V Devnull, 12 January 2019 - 09:52 AM.

#15 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:29 PM

Hey Dev, that's exactly how I meant it. Lazy wording on my part, most likely.

#16 BrunoSSace

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:55 PM

Took me 7 hours but mucking around with fits, grinding skillpoints and saving up mc for a future Hero thats not for sale yet. Thank PGI for event.

Could you maybe make one mission slightly harder, for people to grind for?

#17 WiNNiep00h

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:05 PM

The tricky ones are :

for me the hardest part is to get 5 kills with a light mech Posted Image its not my favorite class^^ after 5 rounds i am still at 0

EDIT: ah just i saw its not just kills also KMDD,..so its not that hard. i have 1/5^^

Edited by WiNNiep00h, 12 January 2019 - 06:06 PM.

#18 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:29 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 12 January 2019 - 07:23 AM, said:

View PostD V Devnull, on 12 January 2019 - 09:48 AM, said:

No, there does not happen to be a glitch. Have you piloted any Assault Mechs as of yet, in order to get Kill/KMDD or Damage or even a Victory? If not, you'll need to before a bit more shows up. Basically, you're only at "0.71% Complete" on that specific Challenge, from what little you're telling me.

Thanks both. I dropped once in an Assault and it started to tick as per normal.

#19 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for the event . always appreciated.

#20 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:00 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 12 January 2019 - 02:29 PM, said:

Hey Dev, that's exactly how I meant it. Lazy wording on my part, most likely.

Alright. Glad I was able to help. And don't worry, I know how the whole "didn't feel like doing a long answer" thing happens to feel. :)

Hey, any chance I could ask for a 'Like' on that earlier post for having expanded and elaborated on the matter? :P

~D. V. "gets that there is always more than one way to express a thought" Devnull

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users