Marauders, Who Really Likes Them?

62 replies to this topic

#21 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:59 PM

The marauders are absolutely beautiful mechs and I am super excited for when I finaly get this mech for C-Bills.
I don't know how some of you may judge the Marauder II as undergunned whatever when it hasn't even come out, it's quirks haven't been revealed or anything other than the most basic of stats.
I don't care if it ends up being the worst mech, I can't wait for that head cannon and all the armored glory that its design is.

You all negative nancies can go get LRMed for a few days for all your negativity.

<3 Marauders

#22 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:17 PM

Marauders are f*cking awesome and a joy to pilot. both the original and the IIC (though mobility on the IIC was nerfed hard..);
if the MarF (for fattie) is gonna be like it's smaller cousin, I'm a happy camper.

goes without saying that it a) doesn't bring anything new to the 100t range (yet, maybe mobility), b.) is probably undergunned c) is no Crusader or UrbieIIC ..
but they could have done a lot worse.

#23 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:48 PM

Considering the abundance of mechs currently not in the game, it's moronic to have three variations of the same chassis.

Edited by - World Eater -, 15 January 2019 - 03:48 PM.

#24 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:18 PM

they were nice when they were new but now i never use them. i certainly hope pgi will keep their current mw5 preorder going with different mechs over then next 4 months.

#25 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:07 PM

View Post- World Eater -, on 15 January 2019 - 03:48 PM, said:

Considering the abundance of mechs currently not in the game, it's moronic to have three variations of the same chassis.

4 actually. The Nightstar is part of the family.

#26 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:55 PM

View PostS 0 L E N Y A, on 15 January 2019 - 05:07 PM, said:

4 actually. The Nightstar is part of the family.

...though PGI ruined the geometry so much that it is not recognizable as such anymore.

#27 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:08 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 15 January 2019 - 05:55 PM, said:

...though PGI ruined the geometry so much that it is not recognizable as such anymore.

To be honest, if I wasn't specifically told that the Nightstar was supposed to be patterned after the Marauder, it would take me a hefty amount of booze to even begin to see a resemblance. It doesn't help that the original design looks abysmal to boot.

#28 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:09 PM

View PostReposter, on 15 January 2019 - 07:25 AM, said:

Did PGI win the Copyright lawsuit with Harmony Gold? I was thinking the Zentradi OBP was something of a sensitive issue?

I personally don't like the fact that they are adding another Marauder but whatever. Yes PGI has come to an Agreement with Harmony Gold and can do whatever they want pretty much now.

#29 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:49 PM

The Marauder IIC is not a giant in MWO because of clan tech. If you think that is the reason, you have allot more to learn about MWO. The first reason is its a battlemech. Meaning it can be souped up for your purposes. Expensive yes but well worth the cost. The second reason is because the right/left torso are mashed in with the ct. Another words the right and left torsos are hard to hit, unless your point blank range. Now if the Marauder II shares the same characteristics of the Marauder IIC as far as right and left torso then the IS just got themselves one hell of a deadly mech. Not to mention these days you guys have Light engines. So I would not say the Marauder II is going to be fail until we see how the hit boxes work in game. Regardless of the right and left torso, the Marauder II will share the same weakness as the IIC its legs.

#30 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:58 PM

I loved the Marauder back in 1986 when I got into the game at a local gaming convention. It wasn't a typical humanoid robot and the idea of tracking targets with the dorsal cannon seemed so cool. So for a lot of table top enthusiasts as well as myself, it's a big deal as a mech being in the game. I think the 75 ton Inner sphere marauder still remains one of the game's strongest heavies in the game, period. The Marauder IIC on the other hand got nerfed way, way too hard in the agility department when one is forced to look at its target profile versus the complete lack of durability quirks. It's still neat though.

I have no excitement for the Marauder II being included in the game at all. The King Crab will continue to do a better job while looking far more fearsome in doing it. If I had been given a choice in the matter at all, I wish PGI had taken a page from the Riot Games playbook and gave the NIghtstar a much needed makeover. THAT is the intended 'next generation' IS Marauder chassis, and it got so screwed in terms of just about everything.

#31 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:12 PM

Marauders are my favorite mechs! well at least the 75 ton ones. The IIC has kind of a turkey body with human torso thing going on...but they are strong as well

They are so versatile in their builds and they have some durability and a nice narrow front profile that lets you spread damage like a boss, or dead side tank

Good with all kinds of ACs, PPCs, RACs, MRMs, Lasers...
MAD-BH2 and MAD-3R are the stand outs for me

I am looking forward to the Marauder II because I love 100 ton IS mechs. Looks okay, even if I think the wings are a bit funky

Posted Image

#32 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:13 PM

Those hitboxes are going to be exactly as miserable as the Nightstar's. Jeezus.

#33 Gen Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:18 PM

I like the IS Marauders, and the Clan IIC version as well, for a variety of reasons. I'm still on the fence about these new assaults. I want to see what kind of quirks they get before I make my mind up on any, or all, of them.

I gotta say, in MWO there are some really good Marauder and mechs related to them. That MAD-3R is one tanky little 75-tonner, and just the variants we have to work with in that group are interesting, fun, and varied. I can see why PGI would want to introduce another mech in the Marauder family tree.

#34 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:29 PM

I personally greatly enjoy my Marauders and my single IIC. I'll probably try at least one of the II's. To answer the other part of the question however: Whales. PGI will always introduce more classic, favorite mechs that they know the whales will buy immediately, no questions asked, viable or not. Whales support this game, always have, always will and PGI is very aware of this. That's precisely how this game is still alive despite every horrific thing PGI has done over the years. Just enough rich middle-aged guys with cash to burn who will burn it on all their favorite robots from the '80s. Hell I even occasionally spend money when I swore I was done years ago, so PGI definitely has a handle on how to play to addictive personalities and take advantage of people's weaknesses. I want to hate them for it, but it's pretty smart. Plus I can still hate them for many other reasons anyway ;P .

#35 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:00 PM

View PostKodyn, on 15 January 2019 - 09:29 PM, said:

I personally greatly enjoy my Marauders and my single IIC. I'll probably try at least one of the II's. To answer the other part of the question however: Whales. PGI will always introduce more classic, favorite mechs that they know the whales will buy immediately, no questions asked, viable or not. Whales support this game, always have, always will and PGI is very aware of this. That's precisely how this game is still alive despite every horrific thing PGI has done over the years. Just enough rich middle-aged guys with cash to burn who will burn it on all their favorite robots from the '80s. Hell I even occasionally spend money when I swore I was done years ago, so PGI definitely has a handle on how to play to addictive personalities and take advantage of people's weaknesses. I want to hate them for it, but it's pretty smart. Plus I can still hate them for many other reasons anyway ;P .

Kodyn can you play some Quick Play so i can shoot at you again... I miss those days of shooting at you, missing, and you shooting me back in the face :)

#36 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:31 PM

View PostReposter, on 15 January 2019 - 07:15 AM, said:

Hi guys, just wondering why are there so many versions of the Marauder for MWO?

Who voted or asked for the 100 ton Marauder 2?

Anyone hate Marauders?

I personally think the Heavy Marauder and Marauder IIC was enough, did not really asking for another version of the Marauder... so why is it being Launched?
Love them.

I love the fact that so many of them are coming out after HG's epic "near" court loss (they settled out of court before the judge could stomp a mud hole in 'em).

#37 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:47 PM

Indeed. Marauders are not my very favoritest 'Mechs evar! but the mere fact that they represent Harmony Gold getting its nose rubbed in moose crap would be enough to make more Marauders tempting even if I hated them. Whether the TooMAD is bad, mediocre, or decent, it's a little slice of schadenfreude and I'm utterly, completely cool with that.

#38 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:26 PM

I like them both a lot. I don't pilot the heavy ones as much, but there are builds I go back to consistently for old time sake (2lbx10 4-5ml/hgr 6ml/3ac5 4ml).
But I pilot the madiic a lot. Combined number of matches across the variants, it is the mech I pilot the most.
Though I don't see the appeal of the 100 tonne IS mad 2, its free for the pre order of mw5, which I'm getting anyways. So it's good

#39 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:55 AM

I like the 75 ton IS marauder . It was my favorite mech in the first MW game . But I dont think we need 3 marauders .

If lots of players asked for Marauder II , then PGI made the right call .

Edited by Pain G0D, 16 January 2019 - 01:02 AM.

#40 BoldricKent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:54 AM

Well,you have to think about MW5, which will be set in around 3020 its, so no clan stuff and you have to build up your IS model base, i am betting Marauder II will be one of "boss" mechs, so far we saw Kingcarb, Marauder and am not sure about 3rd.
Marauders and warhammers are still one of strongest heavy chassis, if we consider their low defensive quirks compered to others IS heavies. Nightstar was an evolution of Marauder chassis, in original art it was sleek and low mech, MWO model of it is one of few complete misses and it suffers for it (even engine rating is of, since there ware version which had 64 speed in lore). It has more of wedge design look, while Marauder II sits more on Marauder shape, which leaves me hoping for a narrower profile, still dont know how top gun would be implemented.... but there was an idea, that top mount could be articulated/synch with arms, that would be something.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users