62 replies to this topic

#41 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:56 AM

I like the Marauder (especially the PGI designed ones). I say...The more the merrier.

BTW, if you think the Marauder is bad when it comes to models, the Timber Wolf/Madcat ain't much better. TimberWolf, Madcat MKII, Madcat III, and although not technically a Madcat, the Inner Sphere clone, the Rakshasa.

One could say, how many Madcats do we need? Then again, I'm overall ok with all those too Posted Image

P.S. Speaking of which...Rakshasa soon?.. :)

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 16 January 2019 - 03:56 AM.

#42 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:06 AM

I love the MAD, especially the BH2. If the MAD 2 turns out good I'll probably like that too. Art looks good IMO.

I wish there was a variant with ballistic mounts in both torsos though, the hardpoints look a little anemic in general except for the 9 missile one.

#43 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:17 AM

I absolutely adore Marauders and if I was told that I could keep and only use one mech, it would without a doubt be a Marauder. Be it the IS Marauder or the Clan Marauder IIC, they tend to be an almost perfect blend of firepower, durability, speed, and agility at least in regards to my personal playstyle and what I find comfortable fighting with.

I am not 100% sure the Marauder II will live up to the same characteristics at the two versions already in game as PGI always tends to make it so 100-ton mechs wallow about like a brick in mud but I am curious and excited to see if the Marauder II can live up to the performance expectations that I have experiences with it current in-game siblings.

#44 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:41 AM

View PostY E O N N E, on 15 January 2019 - 07:13 PM, said:

Those hitboxes are going to be exactly as miserable as the Nightstar's. Jeezus.

Not even close. The Marauder II is much more narrow and compact and doesn't have its arms sticking out at a 90 degree angle from its body. Honestly those arms are half the reason the Nightstar sucks, at least for me. Every time I try to maneuver, they get tangled up in building, rocks, my teammates, etc and I end up standing there like an idiot trying to untangle myself all the while getting shot to pieces. Also when you try to peek around something those arms stick out telegraphing to the world that your about to pop out and try to fire giving the enemy plenty of time to prepare to shoot you in the face when you are finally out enough to line up your crosshairs. Point is, I really don't know how much of the issue with the Nightstar is due its hitboxes and how much the issue is with the stupid arms.

As far the Marauder, honestly I feel like a slippery eel when playing them. I can kind of slide around corners easily and quickly bringing all my guns to bear due to its narrow profile and just as easily slide back into cover because there is nothing protrouding and getting stuck on things. Then due to its narrow profile and tightly clustered weapons it is very easy to find a small gap between your teammates and fire into that game to score hits on the enemy. Also all I have to do it wiggle my nose a bit any time I am taking fire and the damage gets spread pretty easily across all torsos and even the arms which makes them ungodly tanky. Potentially the Marauder II will be similar. My only real concern is its lack of mobility. It isn't going to have the straight up agility of the Marauder nor will it have the raw speed of most Marauder IIC builds. On the other hand from my test builds, you should be able to come up with a decent build using a 350 size engine which will get you 56.7 kph untweaked and 60.9 kph tweaked which is fairly decent considering it is a 100 ton mech.

#45 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:44 AM

I have 3 MAD and 5 MAD IIC. First was great, second was average but OK.
In the end I don't care how the mech looks because I never play in 3rd person.
What is most important to me is how the mech plays and if it brings a new and unique feeling to the game.
And that is the problem with the new MAD II.
To me it looks just like another slow 100 t IS mech and I could not figure out any loadout I am interested to play or master.

So my answer to your question is very clear. I don't like them and definitely skip them.
The only way I get them is as MW5 preorder bonus (but I still hope I can resist and wait for the release and the first reviews).

#46 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:04 PM

As someone who bought the IS Marauder pack back when it was first announced, I did it to show support for the return of the unseens. I do like the artwork direction that they did with the Marauder II. The MAD-5D is still one of my best IS heavies that I use for occasional quick plays.

#47 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

I'd love to see the whole Marauder family reunited in MWO, including the cousins.

#48 NimoStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:52 PM

I DID. I ASKED FOR MARAUDER 2 FOREVER

YAY

#49 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:56 PM

Everyone complaining about the Marauder II being added seems to forget it is also a mech that will likely appear in MW5 as it was with in the time frame of MW5 as being post 3012 while being one of the more high end mechs. Not to mention it could be added to BT as well in a future update.

#50 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:16 PM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 16 January 2019 - 06:41 AM, said:

Not even close. The Marauder II is much more narrow and compact

You need to have your eyes adjusted, friend. Wishful thinking will not save this 'Mech, only quirks or being smaller than expected will.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Y E O N N E, 16 January 2019 - 09:18 PM.

#51 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:29 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 16 January 2019 - 09:16 PM, said:

You need to have your eyes adjusted, friend. Wishful thinking will not save this 'Mech, only quirks or being smaller than expected will.
*snip*

You can blame the forumites for that blunder.

#52 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:18 PM

View PostShadowomega1, on 16 January 2019 - 09:29 PM, said:

You can blame the forumites for that blunder.

I'm not even looking at the arms, I'm looking at that useless mass on the rear end...which is also there on the Marauder.

Convergence was going to suck on the NSR regardless of whether or not the arms were droopy, and you can do some of your own trigonometric drawings to discover that truth if you want. Better to be higher and wide than low and still wide.

#53 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:08 AM

View PostShadowomega1, on 16 January 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

Everyone complaining about the Marauder II being added seems to forget it is also a mech that will likely appear in MW5 as it was with in the time frame of MW5 as being post 3012 while being one of the more high end mechs.

I am painfully aware that PGI's guiding principle for the release of IS Mechs is their use in MW:5, and has been for quite a while. The last IS unit that was not suitable for the late SW-era (and thus MW:5) was the Fafnir.

Even if we ignore how poorly the FCCW-era is represented in MWO (i.e. missing key Mechs like the Dragon Fire but getting Mechs which were largely irrelevant in the lore and perform poorly in game like the Uziel)... even if we chose to ignore that, there would have been better SW-era Mechs for MWO&MW:5. Singer or Wasp alone would have added so much to the gameplay.

I also don't think the lore of Marauder II makes it a stellar choice for a SW-era game. It was exclusive to the Dragoons until 3030, and even after that it was sold in limited numbers to selected units only. For a typical low-level merc it was rather unlikely to encounter a Marauder II, and extremely unlikely to ever pilot one.

Edited by FLG 01, 17 January 2019 - 07:09 AM.

#54 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:57 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 15 January 2019 - 05:55 PM, said:

...though PGI ruined the geometry so much that it is not recognizable as such anymore.

I'm still a touch saddened when I think about it....

#55 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:09 AM

View PostY E O N N E, on 16 January 2019 - 09:16 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yeah I am looking at those pictures and that is why I say it is much more narrow than the Nightstar, well at least if they match the art.

As for the Nightstar, those silly arms are directly a result of the whining of the community because EVERYONE (except for me and a few others) wanted their high mounts. All we heard was how it was going to be DOA if the arms weren't high mounted. Well the community got what it wanted and what they wanted insured it was DOA.

Back to the Marauder II. Hopefully, unlike the Nightstar, since they have 2 separate mechs already in the Marauder family to draw from for inspiration, they will take visual ques from those mechs and model the Marauder II off them. I mean scaling up from 75 to 85 tons only made the Marauder IIC slight larger in its size so scaling from 85 tons to 100 should have a similar effect providing they are using the 85 ton Marauder IIC as a base and slightly changing the form to give it a slightly different appearance.

Then again, lets not underestimate PGIs ability to totally screw things up so it is pretty much a coin toss on who, between us, will be right about the final design.

#56 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:58 PM

Marauders, Who Really Likes Them?

I do. I love Marauders. Posted Image

#57 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:10 AM

The Uziel needs Vindicator-level torso buffs or it needs to be 3/4 it’s current size. I like it but it’s fragile even with the last buff it got. It’s a beach ball, all torso. Once people realized where to shoot, that was all she wrote.

Do I like the Marauder? Yes. Yea, I do.

Edited by Chados, 20 January 2019 - 05:11 AM.

#58 Variant1

• 1,148 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:26 AM

i like the marauder it looks nice, but pgi should not have used up dev time on making another one. we already have 2.

Instead pgi should be using that mech dev time to create more Inner sphere mechs that can be used for the upcoming mechwarrior5

just my 2 centurions

#59 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:32 AM

The MAD II can be used for MW5, though, that's probably one of the reasons they picked it

#60 Paulosaurus

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:05 PM

Love the base Marauder. Probably have more matches done in the BH2 than any other Mech I own. (currently running LBX-20, 6 ERML and 1 ERSL. the ML range quirks on the chassis actually work on ERML as well, so those poke out to 900+ meters).

Haven't played the MAD-IIC at all, and I was quite disappointed at how bad the Nightstar turned out since it looked to have good potential when first announced (I still own the full range of them but rarely run any besides the 9S doing 3 ERLL and 2 Gauss).

Not going to bother pre-ordering the Marauder 2. Too expensive in RL money and I have a feeling it'll be decidedly "meh." Probably better than the Nightstar, but PGI has a nasty habit of making IS assaults too hardpoint-starved.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users