Stuck In Tier 5

118 replies to this topic

#21 Cyzxxikz

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

Also of note when my brother plays with me he gets nearly zero bar progress for matches he does well in , but if he's solo. It progresses noticeably even with mediocre matches. We figure it's somehow because I was already t2 before he started playing, but don't really know.

#22 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 04:13 PM

OP the teir system is broken. This is nothing new. My suggestion is this, if you have not already, find a good unit to teach about the game. Then turn off your tier rank, so its not starring you in the face. Keep playing the game and note when you screw up, so you keep improving your game. Then many months down the road you may find yourself in tier 3. The tier bar sometimes it moves sometimes it does not. So no point looking at a broken mechanic. What will keep you in tier five is the endless hordes of players not willing to learn the game, players who continue to use bracket builds, and the mother of all team killers LRM boats trying to hit something with indirect fire 900+ m away, and then get rolled by the other team and take you down with them. If the tier mechanic is working correctly, and that is a big if. Your goal should be to get 500 damage each game. Even in a loss it will stabilize your standing, meaning you wont go down or up. In a win you will go up if the tier mechanic is working properly. I hope this helps.

#23 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 05:01 PM

If you are in tier 5 and cannot get out, then that is where you really need to be. The system is generally criticised as being a glorified XP bar. Take the opportunity to learn with your peers.

The game is a lot less forgiving at the upper tiers.

#24 I throw Dim Sum

• Pip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBC

Posted 26 January 2019 - 05:08 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 26 January 2019 - 09:49 AM, said:

Great name by the way OP Posted Image

ooooo tank u

i played about 35 games so far. I didnt do very well for the academy games initally but thats because i kept picking the big mechs with the big guns. Now that i passed academy ive loaded up a flee with stealth and 5 ER small lasers and its not only hilarious, but just plain sad. Half my team gets shot in the back and i shoot other assaults in the back and nobody ever turns around. I watched a few youtube videos and they said once youre in tier 1, the games are wayyy better. I guess this is not really the case?

#25 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 26 January 2019 - 05:19 PM

View PostI throw Dim Sum, on 26 January 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

ooooo tank u

i played about 35 games so far. I didnt do very well for the academy games initally but thats because i kept picking the big mechs with the big guns. Now that i passed academy ive loaded up a flee with stealth and 5 ER small lasers and its not only hilarious, but just plain sad. Half my team gets shot in the back and i shoot other assaults in the back and nobody ever turns around. I watched a few youtube videos and they said once youre in tier 1, the games are wayyy better. I guess this is not really the case?

Think if Tier level as more of an experience bar, provided you are able to hit a minimum average Match Score, approx 170ish while breaking even on win/loss. Just because someone levels up does not necessarily mean they are a great team player either..

Your first 25 matches you have a cadet bonus (academy is not part of those matches), which we also acts as a multiplier on your MS. Right now though your average MS is 144 with 38 games in. As some others noted you will not be leaving T5 anytime soon. Damage has 50% of its points applied to the MS makeup.

Tier 3 is about the sweet spot, in that on my alt in T3 there is more actual communication than in T1 games by a large margin.

#26 I throw Dim Sum

• Pip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBC

Posted 26 January 2019 - 05:26 PM

how do you find out the MS average (match score i take it?) is it linked to the forum profile?

#27 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 26 January 2019 - 05:30 PM

Don't worry about tiers, because you will get to tier 1 eventually. Enjoy tier 5 while you can!

#28 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 26 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

I watched a few youtube videos and they said once youre in tier 1, the games are wayyy better.

Nobody has ever said that.

Edited by RickySpanish, 26 January 2019 - 05:36 PM.

#29 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:17 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 26 January 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

Nobody has ever said that.

With a straight face.

Now, once you're out of tier 5...that I could see.

#30 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:44 PM

View PostCyzxxikz, on 26 January 2019 - 03:15 PM, said:

Also of note when my brother plays with me he gets nearly zero bar progress for matches he does well in , but if he's solo. It progresses noticeably even with mediocre matches. We figure it's somehow because I was already t2 before he started playing, but don't really know.

You really have to deliberately play bad to actually go down in tier.The only way to do that is by using really old hardware well below the minimal hardware specs making the game unplayable. I've ran mwo on many windows systems with a variety of cpus and gpus or integrated video cards ie laptops. Pretty much the only real system requirement to run mwo is a 64 bit win os.

About the only way to get stuck in a tier is by playing solo q only and not chasing the meta.

#31 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:51 PM

View PostI throw Dim Sum, on 26 January 2019 - 05:26 PM, said:

how do you find out the MS average (match score i take it?) is it linked to the forum profile?

PGI maintains a leaderboard. Each season is a month, starting on the first, ending on the last days of the month. It's searchable.

https://mwomercs.com...le/leaderboards

Some MWO players have created their own leaderboard, that uses PGI's tracked values makes it much easier to view. It's updated a couple days after a season ends though, so you're not on it yet.

https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/

#32 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

View PostI throw Dim Sum, on 26 January 2019 - 07:31 AM, said:

Why am I stuck with these (Tier5) guys who can't even turn around when they are getting shot in the back.

Because that's where we put them :)

Hint : Take a light and go shoot their backs :P

#33 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:59 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 26 January 2019 - 06:44 PM, said:

You really have to deliberately play bad to actually go down in tier.The only way to do that is by using really old hardware well below the minimal hardware specs making the game unplayable. I've ran mwo on many windows systems with a variety of cpus and gpus or integrated video cards ie laptops. Pretty much the only real system requirement to run mwo is a 64 bit win os.

About the only way to get stuck in a tier is by playing solo q only and not chasing the meta.

Very deliberately. Trust me. Great news is its easier if you insist on fighting up close with flamers and ACs and MGs or flamers and streaks or machine guns and flamers while sporting flamboyant Orange paint and do it with the worst mechs to the hardest things to chase...or with lrm 75/90/100 and no backups....or by giving yourself conditions like "only gonna attack left sides" or my personal favorite... "only can attack while standing on top of the enemy." Though I call this having fun

Better news.. if you get good at that.... well meta might still rip you a new one if you stand up to 3 or 4 enemies at a time...

But sometimes you just make it out.

Despite all this time trying to get down in tier, since trying to stay in four was too damn hard even with the AC/10 and AC/2 Piranha, I've started to kinda do more than tinker and troll with enemies. These events are sorta helping with that. Just how it goes.

Edited by Koniving, 26 January 2019 - 07:33 PM.

#34 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 26 January 2019 - 07:39 PM

If you've played 35+ matches you are better off creating an entirely new account, if you want to get out of T5 before the next few hundred matches.

You can get out of T5 in one or two matches. I did that messing around recently.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 26 January 2019 - 07:41 PM.

#35 iwbs

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:24 PM

Tier 4/5 has the most enjoyable games, where people actually stand and fight instead of nascaring all day long

#36 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:41 PM

View Postiwbs, on 26 January 2019 - 09:24 PM, said:

Tier 4/5 has the most enjoyable games, where people actually stand and fight instead of nascaring all day long

Not sure if abusing unskilled people is 'enjoyable' in the normal sense of the word. People 'stand and fight' because they don't understand the mechanics of the game, not because they are somehow more noble and righteous in battle.

Given it is a team game, I much prefer being part of a team working together than 12 newbies all standing around dying solo. To each their own though.

#37 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:36 PM

Might be fun if each Tier did open more options :
- Tier 5 : 20-40T mechs.
- Tier 4 : 20-60T mechs.
- Tier 3 : 20T-80T mechs.
- Tier 2 : 20T-100T mechs.
- Tier 1 : Faction Play opens.

Edited by Humble Dexter, 26 January 2019 - 11:37 PM.

#38 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:30 AM

ooooo tank u

They do get better in higher tiers.

There is a lot of hyperbole about how "tiers don't matter", but not a lot of people really understand or remember what tier 5 is like. Where you are now is where people play their first games and are still often learning which buttons to push and what's what on the UI. There is bad players in the other tiers but they aren't bad in quite the same way as complete newbies who haven't learned the game yet are.

Moving up in tiers is very fast if you perform well, so if you're moving slow it's because you aren't performing well. 35 games is next to nothing though, so expecting to move up that quick would be a bit ridiculous. You should also be able to predict this yourself just by looking at how fast the bar fills up.

Welcome to the game, it's great to see new players.

#39 Sagara Sousuke 011011001

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 62 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon UK

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 26 January 2019 - 11:36 PM, said:

Might be fun if each Tier did open more options :
- Tier 5 : 20-40T mechs.
- Tier 4 : 20-60T mechs.
- Tier 3 : 20T-80T mechs.
- Tier 2 : 20T-100T mechs.
- Tier 1 : Faction Play opens.

That’s a cool idea. I’d probably tweak the tonnage to this though.

Tier 5 - 40 to 60 tons
Tier 4 - 40 to 80 tons
Tier 3 - 20 to 80 tons
Tier 2 - full range.

#40 TheBossOfYou

• PipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 03:21 PM

View PostCyzxxikz, on 26 January 2019 - 03:15 PM, said:

That's not how PSR XP works.

Match score is broken down into tiers. I may not have the match score numbers correct

Less than 100, loss = "medium" PSR XP loss, win = no PSR change
100-250, loss = "small" PSR XP loss, win = "small" PSR XP gain
250-500, loss = no PSR change, win = "medium" PSR XP gain
500+ loss = "small" PSR gain, win = "large" PSR XP gain.

That's it. It's not an ELO system or anything, it doesn't care about your teammates or enemies. It simply looks at your match score and whether you won or lost. Each tier requires progressively more "XP" to get to the next tier. Also, you will have a lower W/L ratio when you group in small numbers(like 2 people) due to the cliques present in group queue(there is no PSR consideration in GQ, but many of the larger groups are working from friends lists filled with pilots above your skill level)

Edited by TheBossOfYou, 27 January 2019 - 03:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users