#41 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 January 2019 - 04:11 PM

View PostI throw Dim Sum, on 26 January 2019 - 07:31 AM, said:

How many games does it take to get out of tier 5 !?! Why am I stuck with these guys who can't even turn around when they are getting shot in the back.

Honestly you just described most of the tier 1 players as well.

#42 PhilTKaswahl

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:25 AM

How many games does it take to get out of tier 5 !?! Why am I stuck with these guys who can't even turn around when they are getting shot in the back.

Only started playing October and managed to claw my way up to tier 3 by December. Mind, I am not a good player by any means. I only have a barely positive W/L ratio (527/500 as of this writing) and a dismal K/D ratio of 0.73 because I get easily impatient annd overly aggressive and my 'Mech piloting, positioning, and aim suck. Me running questionable builds a lot or just going with trial 'Mechs for shits and giggles does not help.

EDIT: Also, first time I finally decided to participate in the forums. So, hello.

Still, as long as the win-loss ratio is positive, however slightly, you'll steadily climb. Pulling a high enough match score can also give you a positive or neutral tier point stat after a game, and I suspect that when I get those it's my match stats being padded from scouting and assists (pressing R a lot and hit-and-run plinking on as many 'Mechs as you can help a lot). Also, being attentitve to comms and even participating in calling out targets for focus fire when possible (I can't always since I go mic-less when I'm playing when the family is sleeping). Some kind of communication won't always lead to a win, but I notice my match score is often better in games with than without. Additionally, if your 'Mech can mount it and you have spare tonnage/space, grab AMS. In the frequent LRM-y weather of QP Puglandia, you can farm match stats and C-Bills from shooting down enemy missiles.

But, again, that's just from a noob PUG who'll probably stay in QP because I have neither the confidence or commintment for the more serious competitive modes.

Edited by PhilTKaswahl, 28 January 2019 - 06:28 AM.

#43 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:38 AM

@title.

Stating facts here.

140 average match score.
0.67 kid
1.16 w/l

So with those 3 stats this is what I see. The reason you are "stuck" in teir 5 is because you're playing as someone in teir 5 maybe 4.
The wins you do have seem to be more thanks to your teammates carrying you to the win.

My recommendation is get with a unit that is willing to train you, teach you tactics and mech builds. Practice practice practice. You'll see yourself out of teir 5 soon enough if you put in the work.

#44 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:24 AM

Don’t worry ITDS, it took me over a year to get out of T5, seriously, lol. Took about six months-ish to get through T4. Hanging on by the skin of my teeth in T3.

I found a noticeable difference when I got to T3, the matches became much more difficult. That said, I end up in drops with some top-tier players from the likes of EMP and EON, and/or players on the first page of the leaderboards, so I’m learning quite a lot these days.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 28 January 2019 - 09:26 AM.

#45 DisasterTheory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 371 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:28 AM

Oh don't worry, you still get teamed with those idiots in T1 and T2, some nights there are so few players that the match maker throws T5's into the match with you just to fill empty holes. 12-0 wipes prove this 10 times over. Add in Nascar and you have yourself a nice FusterCluck of a 4 minute game that you waited in the queue 10 to 15 minutes for.

Enjoy T5 while you can.... it only gets worse.

#46 ZippySpeedMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 356 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Dropship Earth

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:23 PM

Started from the bottom, now you're tier

Started from the bottom now the whole team's tier

Started from the bottom, now you're tier

Started from the bottom now the whole team's tier

#47 Kells hounder

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 05:12 PM

why why why a tier system anyway? just match k/d raitos

#48 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 January 2019 - 05:18 PM

You do realize this is a Troll account, created a little over a day ago.

#49 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:32 PM

makes no sense, he's a new player. why wouldn't he ask questions?

p.s. OP since your other topic got locked, here's my hellbringer Virago doing quite well at almost 1600-1800 range "tickling" people as other's have so stated. It is possible, and you dont need a stupid level 7 targeting comp, just a targeting comp level 1 is ample. Fortunately the Virago is behind a paywall so you wont see it much in quick play, but a few clanners run them in faction warfare.

Posted Image

Edited by Hellbringer, 28 January 2019 - 10:46 PM.

#50 I throw Dim Sum

• Pip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBC

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:35 AM

thanks for the advice everyone. so far im doing okay, im almost out of tier 5

#51 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:30 AM

Be happy your in tier 5 because from my personal experience, the game gets alot less fun up at the top. Everything is Meta this, Meta that and each battle pretty much follows a pre-planned pattern of events that have been establish by players with sometimes 10s of thousands of matches. At the lower tiers you still have people experimenting, having fun and often running less predictable builds. I also feel the game play tends to be more random and varied.

Honestly, if PGI gave me the option, I would drop down to Tier 3 in a heartbeat. That tier was just so much more fun that Tier 1.

Edited by Angel of Annihilation, 29 January 2019 - 09:31 AM.

#52 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:29 PM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 29 January 2019 - 09:30 AM, said:

Be happy your in tier 5 because from my personal experience, the game gets alot less fun up at the top. Everything is Meta this, Meta that and each battle pretty much follows a pre-planned pattern of events that have been establish by players with sometimes 10s of thousands of matches. At the lower tiers you still have people experimenting, having fun and often running less predictable builds. I also feel the game play tends to be more random and varied.

Honestly, if PGI gave me the option, I would drop down to Tier 3 in a heartbeat. That tier was just so much more fun that Tier 1.

So much this. It's depressing to lose the moment you bring a new build / unskilled 'Mech / bit of fun to a match. Just got off of a Polar Highlands Nascar that was as hilarious as it was sad. Enemy team had PPC mediums and mobile lurm boats and we were... Something. Whole team just spun endlessly until the match was over. We actually won, but it was very close and I managed to tie up their PPC boats at close range by hiding behind a hill and waiting for them to rotate to me. Apparently they didn't call enemy spotted and Vapor Eagles are naturally good at blending into the scenery.

#53 PhilTKaswahl

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:01 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 29 January 2019 - 03:29 PM, said:

. Apparently they didn't call enemy spotted and Vapor Eagles are naturally good at blending into the scenery.

What, you thought the "Vapor" part was just fancy naming? When the Vapor Eagle stands unnoticed for long enough, it has a passive that turns it into literal ethereal vapor. (Though when you do get noticed, you get vaporized in a slightly different manner . . .)

#54 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:58 AM

Once your stats begin to show that you're capable of more than just holding your own.
https://mwomercs.com...row%20Dim%20Sum

#55 PhilTKaswahl

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:56 AM

Funnily enough, I ended up in a QP drop with OP earlier today. Assault on HPG Manifold. Couldn't say anything about his in-game performance since he wasn't in my field of view most of the match, though he did sometimes spam text chat—but nothing too egregious from a lot of normal chat spam/jokes. When he was in my FOV, he was participating in the team fight though.

Drop went well at 12-3, though can't say if it was because our team was coordinating well enough (four people on VOIP calling targets or giving info and people seemed to respond promptly enough) or if the other team was just too timid.

Edited by PhilTKaswahl, 30 January 2019 - 02:59 AM.

#56 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:57 AM

OP. Great advice above and read it carefully ! remember, some of the commentators are from different era's of this game and have the value of seeing all of MWO's contortions.

My advice as an average and retired player is to: not rusk and measure yourself against anything but "was if fun?" Yolo'ing or teams. Big mech or small mechs...... Faction Play or anything else......... The only metric that is important is "was it fun..."

Personally, the most fun I had in this game was pre-skill tree and at level 4 and 5....... Some of the most fun games I've ever played were at lower levels...... They weren't toxic. They were being played by people whom were "just having fun" and win or lose, we had a blast goofing around being "potatoes !" It was fun......

#57 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:30 AM

View PostI throw Dim Sum, on 26 January 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

ooooo tank u

i played about 35 games so far. I didnt do very well for the academy games initally but thats because i kept picking the big mechs with the big guns. Now that i passed academy ive loaded up a flee with stealth and 5 ER small lasers and its not only hilarious, but just plain sad. Half my team gets shot in the back and i shoot other assaults in the back and nobody ever turns around. I watched a few youtube videos and they said once youre in tier 1, the games are wayyy better. I guess this is not really the case?

Assaults and lights are the most difficult to play in the beginning. try a medium or heavy, faster than 64 kph, stay with the group and share target with R. Locking target can make you single out enemy way faster or farm components easy.

#58 I throw Dim Sum

• Pip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBC

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:51 AM

My 4 mechs so far are:
stalker with 4 er large,
flea with 5 er small,
cat with mrm20s,
and a raven with ac20.

All these remind me of the old mech2 mercenaries days. I'm having fun and most people are friendly enough to help out a noob.

#59 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:58 AM

View PostAsym, on 30 January 2019 - 05:57 AM, said:

Personally, the most fun I had in this game was pre-skill tree and at level 4 and 5....... Some of the most fun games I've ever played were at lower levels...... They weren't toxic. They were being played by people whom were "just having fun" and win or lose, we had a blast goofing around being "potatoes !" It was fun......

Exactly. I really miss those days of just playing for fun without all that, "I am a godlike Tier 1 player that knows all" attitudes so many players display at Tier 1. You can talk to them, you can't reason and they all want to tell you how best to play because they are apparently the gods of MWO". It isn't everyone, not by a long shot but there are so many of them at the top Tier 1 that is gets old quickly.

#60 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:23 AM

View PostI throw Dim Sum, on 30 January 2019 - 08:51 AM, said:

My 4 mechs so far are: stalker with 4 er large, flea with 5 er small, cat with mrm20s, and a raven with ac20. All these remind me of the old mech2 mercenaries days. I'm having fun and most people are friendly enough to help out a noob.

If you are looking for suggestions, I myself am highly partial to the Crab. I own at least one of pretty much every chassis. They are very good for teaching some of the basic skills required to be successful in MWO like twisting, etc. It is fairly tanky and well suited for beginners.

Here a suggestion for one of the builds.

I myself prefer the Crab 27 with double AMS, but the 27B is quite nice as well. :) Also, the Buswacker X1 and X2 are quite sturdy medium Mechs.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users