Headshot Requirement

71 replies to this topic

#21 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:55 PM

As difficult it is for someone like me with the reflexes of a moist sloth and general shooting skills of a similarly moist sloth, I have no dramas with it being the requirement for a challenge.

I am almost certainly not going to get it. I have 2 headshots in about 2000 games I think and only 1 of them was a deliberate attempt. For those who get it- without cheating in Solaris- well done. For those who don't, maybe next .

I agree with previous poster pointing out 'challenge' implies some effort or skill required.

#22 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:02 PM

As someone who views events not as "challenges" but as a reward/bribe for playing the game, a headshot challenge is an instant "yeah, not bothering" and thus a complete failure to encourage me to play the game.

Not that there's anything wrong with not bothering with events, I recommend you try it.

#23 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:16 PM

its easier to get headshots in solaris. div 1 where everyone and there mother uses the annihilator with that distinct easy to hit square cockpit window and slow torso twist. its a headshot farmers paradise.

Edited by LordNothing, 08 February 2019 - 04:16 PM.

#24 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:15 PM

Many pilots strip their heads to less than max armor. Just watch for a shut down mech. I got a headshot a couple of days ago on an Orion. He shut down, I aimed at the head, and when he powered back up he had a red or orange head... aiming at that area let me pop it with my next salvo.

#25 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:26 PM

View PostCurccu, on 08 February 2019 - 12:33 PM, said:

But there are like at least two players in every solaris queue Posted Image might not get your friend...

Find an empty division.

#26 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:02 PM

View PostAcersecomic, on 08 February 2019 - 02:26 PM, said:

Ok now, calm down there Billy the Kid... it's not supposed to be an event for people who want to rig matches and scores.

You dont design events around cheaters. If people cheat then ban them

Right now we have events basically everyone is a winner and if something is a little hard they cry about it.

#27 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:43 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 08 February 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

I wish they do more things that were hard to get. Right now everything is just kids time events. Most the time i don't even look at them anymore.

Give us 10 head shots.
1500dmg in one game
800 match score

Hard to get is one thing, but nearly impossible for most of us is another. I mean I wish the tasks were a bit more challenging but it the task needs to be achievable by at least 80-90% of players within the time window the event is active.

To try to put this into perspective my current stats show I have 5,256 kills. Out of those kills only 16 were the result of a head shot. That is 0.3% of all my kills due to head shots. Statistically I would have to kill over 325 mechs in this 5-6 day period in order to manage a head shot and complete this task. Since I generally average around 1 kill per match, I guess it is possible I could do 325 matches in 6 days, maybe as long as I was playing about 9 hours a day but.....well.....yeah....got to work, sleep and all that so not going to be able to play 9 hours a day even if I wanted to.

Edited by Angel of Annihilation, 08 February 2019 - 08:43 PM.

#28 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:55 PM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 08 February 2019 - 08:43 PM, said:

Hard to get is one thing, but nearly impossible for most of us is another. I mean I wish the tasks were a bit more challenging but it the task needs to be achievable by at least 80-90% of players within the time window the event is active.

To try to put this into perspective my current stats show I have 5,256 kills. Out of those kills only 16 were the result of a head shot. That is 0.3% of all my kills due to head shots. Statistically I would have to kill over 325 mechs in this 5-6 day period in order to manage a head shot and complete this task. Since I generally average around 1 kill per match, I guess it is possible I could do 325 matches in 6 days, maybe as long as I was playing about 9 hours a day but.....well.....yeah....got to work, sleep and all that so not going to be able to play 9 hours a day even if I wanted to.

Yes and the requirement is :
HEADSHOT KILL.
NOT. Headshot.
You score headshots A LOT MORE. But results in little.
Semantics.

#29 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:55 PM

Bring dual gauss, or a flamer nova if you're that desperate. Someone overheats each game just need to find your opportunity.

#30 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:02 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 08 February 2019 - 08:55 PM, said:

Yes and the requirement is :
HEADSHOT KILL.
NOT. Headshot.
You score headshots A LOT MORE. But results in little.
Semantics.

I get your point but I think most of us define a "head shot" as a shot that hits the head and kills the mech so to clarify, 16 heat shot KILLS out of 5,256 total kills.

#31 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:22 AM

You have to actually fish and aim for headshots. Dual Gauss, dual Heavy gauss, trip heavy PPC, dual 20s. It's not as difficult as it may seems, it's just that most players are set on shooting centermass or sidetorso intuative. If you actually fish for headshots, you get one in about every 10 games just by luck.

I'd honestly love to have an actual challenge for once.. not a participation tropy.

That said, Gauss is an amazing weapon, it syncs amazingly well with energy weapons and even heat intensive missile weapons. I call bull$#it on everyone who claims it difficult to operate, literally holding a button for 0.5 seconds is hardly too much to ask for considering the stats of gauss weapons.
I sure bet those who have problems to use a gauss are those who hit 5+ components with a single med las burn @ 200 meter. Don't be stubborn, it's not the chargeup, it's you.

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 09 February 2019 - 12:28 AM.

#32 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:44 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 08 February 2019 - 07:26 PM, said:

Find an empty division.

Joke was that there wasn't any at the time I posted. (which is not normal for ghost town solaris)

#33 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:54 AM

In the 6+ years, Ive landed about 40 headshots, AND none of them where on purpose

Its not that head shots are impossible, its that PGI mechs are so broken

There is a few mechs that you get the head shot from the rear,

Others you can strait up hit the cockpit square on, and the mech takes the damage to the rear center torso..

a achievement thats not worth the time or effort

#34 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:05 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 09 February 2019 - 12:22 AM, said:

You have to actually fish and aim for headshots. Dual Gauss, dual Heavy gauss, trip heavy PPC, dual 20s. It's not as difficult as it may seems, it's just that most players are set on shooting centermass or sidetorso intuative. If you actually fish for headshots, you get one in about every 10 games just by luck.

I'd honestly love to have an actual challenge for once.. not a participation tropy.

That said, Gauss is an amazing weapon, it syncs amazingly well with energy weapons and even heat intensive missile weapons. I call bull$#it on everyone who claims it difficult to operate, literally holding a button for 0.5 seconds is hardly too much to ask for considering the stats of gauss weapons.
I sure bet those who have problems to use a gauss are those who hit 5+ components with a single med las burn @ 200 meter. Don't be stubborn, it's not the chargeup, it's you.

Gauss isn't as difficult to use as it is awkward. If your not used to using them, it takes quite a bit of concentration to pull off anything approaching accurate shots. For myself I find that I concentrate so much on trying to make the Gauss rifles perform that I tend to neglect shooting my other supporting weapons like lasers and such. I also tend to stand still way too much again due to my inability to walk and chew gum at the same time. I supposed that with enough practice one could overcome these bad habits or at least reduce their impact but I just find the charge up mechanic so unintuitive and unenjoyable that I don't even want to deal with it at all except on a select few builds anyway. I dislike the charge up mechanic so much that I think at most I might have a grand total of 5 or 6 mechs out of 245, that have Gauss rifles as part of their load out.

#35 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:30 AM

IMO challenge events should be tiered over a range of difficulties with the hardest challenges being ones that only a few players could achieve.

I really don't see why all the tasks must be achievable by most players, that seems more like a grind than a challenge.

Personally I'd be much more interested trying to complete challenges that were hard (for me) to do.

The current style of event which basically only says "play a lot during these few days and get X" are not interesting for me and most of the time I can't prioritize gaming like that. Something like "score over 1500dmg in solo queue" would be much better. I could plan for it and try it in a concentrated time window with full attention, probably fail but feel really good if I succeed.

Edited by Sjorpha, 09 February 2019 - 01:34 AM.

#36 Silra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCold North

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:50 AM

Requiring a headshot is fantastic event requirement. Too many event conditions require you to fully change the way you want to play the game to actually complete them... don't normally ever bring consumables? Well here's UAV challenge again!

Headshot is something you can do no matter what setup you bring into the game, even if you only play LRM boats you can get a headshot with those (not saying it's easy, saying you can).

However if you're asking for help to complete the headshot requirement, the easiest way to do it is to play any mech with direct fire weapons and when an enemy shuts down from overheating, walk up to them and shoot their head off.

#37 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:02 AM

Nearly impossible is the only thing that really matters. Right now we get rewards for showing up.

This is what we get every week from pgi.
Posted Image

As for head shots if you can't aim , jump in a medium mech with flames and 30dmg worth of pulse lasers.
Over heat a mech and head shoot it from point blank range.

ORRRRRRRRRR don't and who cares? Its just an event that's my point you don't have to get everything every time.

#38 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:09 AM

https://mwo.smurfy-n...b0316710ad003a5

https://mwo.smurfy-n...e0c2d22c4db9a38

Both of these builds provide extremely focused close-range DPS. The flamer version also gives you a means to shut down opponents when you engage them.

Yes, it took me quite a few attempts to get a headshot - it's no walk in the park - but it's perfectly doable.

Edited by Horseman, 09 February 2019 - 03:25 AM.

#39 Blacksheep One

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Beer and Cheese

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:10 PM

I can see this (and requiring the Boar's Head, maybe) being annoying for completionists. (Used to play City of Heroes - the lengths some people would go to to try to get EVERY SINGLE BADGE were amazing. So I'm used to the mindset. And no, I wasn't one.)

Honestly, I'm kind of enjoying the challenge. Nearly got it with two ERLLs against a Dire Wolf... *nearly.* (And yes, I considered Gauss,but I'm also not great with them, so... I'd love something in the Academy with more target motion. Fast lights running close to you. Stuff going across your FOV at actual movement speeds instead of the zombie-one-shot mechs... )

#40 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:23 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 09 February 2019 - 12:22 AM, said:

1st off.
I AM stubborn.
2nd off.
The charge up IS THE B$ around here.
It was meant to punish ppc/gauss and ppc/ac sync.
I never did that and was unduly punished.
I'll not use the item when it punishes me for what other people do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users