71 replies to this topic

#41 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:09 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 09 February 2019 - 02:02 AM, said:

Nearly impossible is the only thing that really matters. Right now we get rewards for showing up.

This is what we get every week from pgi.
Posted Image

As for head shots if you can't aim , jump in a medium mech with flames and 30dmg worth of pulse lasers.
Over heat a mech and head shoot it from point blank range.

ORRRRRRRRRR don't and who cares? Its just an event that's my point you don't have to get everything every time.

Here is where you and I differ. You seem to want it to be a competition where only the top players get the prize. I look at it exactly as you demonstrated in your picture, as an event that should eventually reward you for your participation. Lets face it, that it what these carrots are all about, to get people to log in and participate. They aren't competitive events, hell I even asked for the return of the leader board events which were actually competitive events but got shouted down for it because it only awarded the top 25 players and apparently that made it not fun or something. I will even agree with you that I would love to see events that were actually more competitive focused or at least open ended so that the goal wasn't to finish as soon as possible but rather play as much as possible but this event isn't those types of events.

So now that we have established that these events are participant events rather than competitive events lets get back to the issue with the head shot requirement and that is the simple fact that head shots aren't easy to accomplish. Realistically not many people are going to be able to achieve it and this is where it fails as a participation event. Because it is very difficult and many won't accomplish it, this lead to player being frustrated. Frustrated players don't play, they take breaks, quit or even uninstall the game. That is not what you want to be occurring during an event that is suppose to encourage players to log in and play the game.

Now in the grand scheme of things, do I really care about getting one extra crappy supply cache? Not really, simply because it has little to no impact on anything. However I can honestly say it does nag at me when I have an event I don't complete if for no other reason than I like to see all the bars filled. Honestly, I think this is just human nature.

Edited by Angel of Annihilation, 09 February 2019 - 04:10 PM.

#42 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:25 PM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 09 February 2019 - 04:09 PM, said:

Here is where you and I differ. You seem to want it to be a competition where only the top players get the prize. I look at it exactly as you demonstrated in your picture, as an event that should eventually reward you for your participation. Lets face it, that it what these carrots are all about, to get people to log in and participate. They aren't competitive events, hell I even asked for the return of the leader board events which were actually competitive events but got shouted down for it because it only awarded the top 25 players and apparently that made it not fun or something. I will even agree with you that I would love to see events that were actually more competitive focused or at least open ended so that the goal wasn't to finish as soon as possible but rather play as much as possible but this event isn't those types of events.

So now that we have established that these events are participant events rather than competitive events lets get back to the issue with the head shot requirement and that is the simple fact that head shots aren't easy to accomplish. Realistically not many people are going to be able to achieve it and this is where it fails as a participation event. Because it is very difficult and many won't accomplish it, this lead to player being frustrated. Frustrated players don't play, they take breaks, quit or even uninstall the game. That is not what you want to be occurring during an event that is suppose to encourage players to log in and play the game.

Now in the grand scheme of things, do I really care about getting one extra crappy supply cache? Not really, simply because it has little to no impact on anything. However I can honestly say it does nag at me when I have an event I don't complete if for no other reason than I like to see all the bars filled. Honestly, I think this is just human nature.

Where did i ever say only top player? I said hard requirements. Headshots are not a "top player" type of deal. I got 5 of them last time we did this event just by shooting down range. So many peoples heads were damage you just had to get lucky and finish one of them off.

They might as well remove requirements and just keep doing grab bags. Then everyone can get the gold star decal after its over. This is online pvp game we can't all be winners everyday.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 09 February 2019 - 11:28 PM.

#43 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:34 PM

Flamers and lasers are your best friend. Replace SPLas with SHLas due to changes in the game

#44 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:48 PM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 09 February 2019 - 04:09 PM, said:

You seem to want it to be a competition where only the top players get the prize.
Wrong. A mediocre player like myself can do it, it's not all that difficult when you get a whole week to pull it off.

I look at it exactly as you demonstrated in your picture, as an event that should eventually reward you for your participation.
Count the number of "events" that only required you to log in. Fact is, every event requires going through some hoops. Some are easier, some are harder, but the less effort you have to make the loess sense of accomplishment you get from reaching the prize.

So now that we have established that these events are participant events rather than competitive events lets get back to the issue with the head shot requirement and that is the simple fact that head shots aren't easy to accomplish. (...) Because it is very difficult and many won't accomplish it, this lead to player being frustrated. Frustrated players don't play, they take breaks, quit or even uninstall the game.
Headshots are more achievable in Solaris, or if your opponent shuts down. Protip: A Nova with 2X-4x Flamers and a battery of SPLs and ERuLs works wonders for that.

View PostMonkey Lover, on 09 February 2019 - 11:25 PM, said:

They might as well remove requirements and just keep doing grab bags. Then everyone can get the gold star decal after its over. This is online pvp game we can't all be winners everyday.

Objection, your honor! Grab bags require match score!

Edited by Horseman, 09 February 2019 - 11:57 PM.

#45 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:26 AM

For a rare supply cache?

You might as well just play the game naturally to get one.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 10 February 2019 - 12:26 AM.

#46 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:54 AM

The key word of every event: CHALLENGE

#47 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:48 AM

View Post- World Eater -, on 10 February 2019 - 07:54 AM, said:

The key word of every event: CHALLENGE Participation

fixed it for you

#48 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:41 PM

Or you could just all shut up and just take the stuff that's essentially free.

#49 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:02 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 08 February 2019 - 10:05 AM, said:

Please change headshot requirement for event to:
Headshot kill OR 100 kills.
Just as ridiculous but achievable.
Thanks.

I got the headshot so its achievable...I have a condition which causes me to shake severely so if I can aim and get a headshot so can you...YOU CAN DOOOOO IT!

#50 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:00 PM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 10 February 2019 - 05:02 PM, said:

I got the headshot so its achievable...I have a condition which causes me to shake severely so if I can aim and get a headshot so can you...YOU CAN DOOOOO IT!

Headshot KILL.
Not just headshot.

#51 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:09 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 08 February 2019 - 11:37 AM, said:

Just get a buddy to Solaris and headshot each other. Done in 10 mins max. Posted Image

But then I'd have to actually play a Solaris match Posted Image

In other news:

Headshots are even harder when your ping is 300. So the event is a little discriminatory to those with higher pings.

Anyway, the rewards aren't that compelling, so I don't feel bad about skipping it.

Edited by Appogee, 13 February 2019 - 07:11 PM.

#52 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:16 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 13 February 2019 - 07:00 PM, said:

Headshot KILL.
Not just headshot.

If you do a headshot you kill them LOL :)

View PostAppogee, on 13 February 2019 - 07:09 PM, said:

But then I'd have to actually play a Solaris match Posted Image

In other news:

Headshots are even harder when your ping is 300. So the event is a little discriminatory to those with higher pings.

Anyway, the rewards aren't that compelling, so I don't feel bad about skipping it.

The whole game is discriminatory against anyone with a higher ping than 30. My guess... and I do say guess... is that most of the players rank high have way better pings than the rest. NOT ALL so don't scream at me A S H ;)

#53 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:26 PM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 13 February 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

If you do a headshot you kill them LOL :)

Actually, hitting the head hitbox isn't an automatic kill. Like any other component, the head has armor and structure that have to be destroyed.

The whole game is discriminatory against anyone with a higher ping than 30. My guess... and I do say guess... is that most of the players rank high have way better pings than the rest. NOT ALL so don't scream at me A S H ;)

My regular 150-ish ping says otherwise.

#54 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:34 PM

View PostHorseman, on 13 February 2019 - 11:26 PM, said:

Actually, hitting the head hitbox isn't an automatic kill. Like any other component, the head has armor and structure that have to be destroyed.

My regular 150-ish ping says otherwise.

Rank 3328 is not the "high rank" players I am referring too. It is better than mine tho.. good job :)

#55 Potatomasher69

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:51 AM

I sat down yesterday and accidentally got one on my first game.

I guess it isn't soo much an accident when you aim high on the CT near the glass and you are using dual Hgauss though.

#56 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:49 AM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 13 February 2019 - 11:34 PM, said:

Rank 3328 is not the "high rank" players I am referring too. It is better than mine tho.. good job :)
I was referring to your claim that "The whole game is discriminatory against anyone with a higher ping than 30." ;p

But if you like, check the stats on my alt "Horseman IIC". I don't play it as much, but I don't experiment with builds on it either (which I do a LOT on this one).

Edited by Horseman, 14 February 2019 - 06:51 AM.

#57 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:09 AM

Rank 3328 is not the "high rank" players I am referring too. It is better than mine tho.. good job Posted Image

Isn't the math behind the QP ranking something derpy like , more matches is more important than match score?

#58 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:09 AM

Rank 3328 is not the "high rank" players I am referring too. It is better than mine tho.. good job Posted Image

Speaking of rank. It would be really nice to know where 3328 rank actually placed a person. For example 3328 isn't too high if the total number being ranked is 10,000. However if the total number ranked is 100,000, then that person would be ranked in the top 3.33% of players or in other words pretty damned Elite.

Guess we will never know, because we don't know the total amount players have actually logged in and played at least 1 match during the period of time where the ranking takes place. Also to be honest we would kind of need to toss out anyone who has played less than at least 100 matches as well and that would be the total number of players that we would need to use to determine a persons actual rank.

#59 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:39 AM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 14 February 2019 - 07:09 AM, said:

Isn't the math behind the QP ranking something derpy like , more matches is more important than match score?

Default sorting is by number of wins. There's a drop-down that lets you change to average score, kills, deaths, KDR, losses, WLR or number of matches.

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 14 February 2019 - 08:09 AM, said:

Guess we will never know, because we don't know the total amount players have actually logged in and played at least 1 match during the period of time where the ranking takes place. Also to be honest we would kind of need to toss out anyone who has played less than at least 100 matches as well and that would be the total number of players that we would need to use to determine a persons actual rank.

You can force the leaderboard to switch to an arbitrary page by editing the URL. According to that, there are 17959 players who played at least 10 matches since last month.

#60 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:54 AM

View PostHorseman, on 14 February 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

You can force the leaderboard to switch to an arbitrary page by editing the URL. According to that, there are 17959 players who played at least 10 matches since last month.

Why are people constantly going on about 1000 or less active players?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users