94 replies to this topic

#81 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:44 PM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 15 February 2019 - 12:37 PM, said:

Does one has to be a haiku to consist of three phrases?

Does one have to be mayonnaise to be spread on a sandwich?

#82 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:47 PM

View PostBombast, on 15 February 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

Does one have to be mayonnaise to be spread on a sandwich?

Does one has to be past 60 to build a wall?

#83 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:50 PM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 15 February 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

Does one has to be past 60 to build a wall?

Does one have to be a couch to be sat on?

#84 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:52 PM

View PostBombast, on 15 February 2019 - 12:50 PM, said:

Does one have to be a couch to be sat on?

*giggle*

Does one has to be Weird Al Yankovic to make a Michael Jackson parody called "Eat it"?

#85 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:02 PM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 15 February 2019 - 12:52 PM, said:

Does one has to be Weird Al Yankovic to make a Michael Jackson parody called "Eat it"?

Does one have to eat it to know if it's Weird Al?

#86 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:44 PM

does one have to be a sheep to follow the herd?

pass the mint jelly.

#87 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:17 PM

View PostEatit, on 15 February 2019 - 08:12 AM, said:

Anjian,

WTH??? 2 BILLION in revenue. I'm starting to lose faith in the human race. The game is free but they've made 2 billion dollars. That, blows my mind.

So many things that money could have been spent on and we've decided that some ones and zeros in the ether are the best bet.

Gratz to that developer, I'm sure they are living the high life.

Some media I think CNN ran a piece on this game, and this game got people spending thousands of it. In this particular instance its some Japanese antisocial who spent over $75,000 just on this game alone while still living with his mother. Turns out he is a genius in the stock market and has already made a fortune on it, so his mother says he can spend his money whatever way he enjoys it.

Fate Grand Order is a game that has managed the golden sweet spot of F2P. It can make huge money from the whales and yet its F2P friendly, meaning you can still get through the game while spending so little on it. Its not a great game by design and coding, but it has a great turn based battle system that requires you to keep thinking several steps ahead. But the shining thing about the game is that it has outstanding character development and story telling based on a very popular anime, game and visual novel franchise in Japan and anime fans around the world. One of the story chapters alone is so good, its going to be released as an anime series this year. The reason why certain people are willing to spend so much on this game is to collect the characters they love from this franchise. That is the power of a lore so powerful. A game that is built around a franchise and strong lore must learn to cultivate and flourish with it. There is a strong lesson there to all franchise based games.

I myself can't hide the fact I deeply love this franchise and its characters. The very concept blows my mind --- all the great heroes of Earth in history and legend being summoned forth to fight for the Holy Grail. These are scenes from the various anime series built around the franchise.

King of Knights, Artoria Pendragon vs. Ireland's Child of Light, Cu Cthulain

Empress of Roses, Nero Claudius vs. Gawain of the Knights of the Round Table

Maid of Orleans, Jeanne d'Arc

Edited by Anjian, 15 February 2019 - 06:26 PM.

#88 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:13 PM

One knows that the MWO IP is some of the most valuable IP's ever conceived..... Run a strategy canvas on it. Test it. Run a comparison market analysis on it..... You know what you'll see? The holy crap.......of MMOA's....... The reason we are having this inane conversations isn't because of the IP..............

#89 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:57 PM

Between MWO, Star Trek Online and Neverwinter.

#90 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:16 PM

Star Trek Online is thriving, despite having a bad start and looking outdated. Again, one of the few games that have grown, not shrank, over time. You go back to the essential success ingredient of a franchise game --- celebrating on the lore, not just using it as a background material.

#91 Variant1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 12:35 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 13 February 2019 - 11:10 PM, said:

what do you mean

"I would try it if it wasnt on Origin, i already have most of my games being held hostage on steam. id rather not have more different drm software holding my games at gunpoint."

I mean both software are 3rd party drm, games bought are on those platforms and require said software in order to play. Me personaly prefer the physical copy since if steam were to ever shut down it means bye bye all the games. Steam is not bad its just i dont trust them, as for origin its got a bad reputation because its EA and ea has earned its bad rap

#92 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 03:35 PM

I have spent many hours on MWO since 2012- spent money on it over the years.

Plenty of enjoyment gotten out of the game - there'd have been no mechanized stompy goodness without it.

Whilst there have been a lot of frustrations, many things that could have been done better, and some things half-realized, I will say that the game has kept itself in the running and kept up the fun level for a pretty long time, and can be classified as a 'great' Mechwarrior game.

#93 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 February 2019 - 03:42 PM

View PostAlvar Von Kenesthor, on 13 February 2019 - 10:17 AM, said:

As a Warframe long time player (shameful 1'5 k hours I'm not too much proud of...). This is both very true and very false:
Digital Extremes made THE BEST monetization system in a F2P game ever. Period.
They also hold mensual directs where they talk about the game novelties and discuss the game's direction while laying out the roadmap for future actualizations and also telling jokes and laughting among themselves, and their head of community relations, Rebecca, has pretty much the same role in the game as Sean Lang here (or TheB33f when he used to be more active) while also being an active developer. Which makes them feel human, not just a faceless company.
Thus giving DE an appearance of being close to the player.

But saying they're good at communications with their community is like saying that MWO's current "if you want that change made, Tweet it to Russ to see it done" is the perfect model...

Warframe faces the exact same problem as MWO when it comes to balancing with lots of Frames (characters) and weapons being totally unbalanced (OP or useless), which DE tends to either ignore or directly not adress in the hopes that pumping out new ones will make the players forget those problems.

And let's not get started on how they adress criticism (straight up banning players) or censorship on their forums and ingame chat. (You can't say "Lay a trap" since "Trap is a Trans slur", just as an example).
Which are usually handled by bots worsening the situation.

Digital Extreme's game and it's backstory in bringing to life their passion project are admirable indeed.

But they're far from perfect

I would say Warframe and MWO could learn a lot from Harebrained Schemes. But then every player base that doesn't get instant capitulation to making the game the way THEY think it should be made...... pisses and moans about how the Devs suck at communicating. Mind you, PGI ain't great at it. But I love seeing people flip their crap even with Indie Studios who go out of their way to touch base with their players.

Does that make HBS perfect? Nope. But when it comes to 1) making a lot of product return for investment, and 2) listening to your players (discounting homophobes, etc, who are offended cuz "reasons"), a lot of companies could learn a lo from them.

#94 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:57 PM

MWO is one of the best F2p titles out there in many regards, but it is also one of the worst in many ways.

Very polarizing.

I hope the developer has learned from this experience, and provided another good extension on the license, develop a product with all of the strength of MWO and fewer of its flaws.

Edited by Prototelis, 17 February 2019 - 05:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users