#21 WarmasterRaptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 205 posts
  • LocationQuébec - Canada

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:58 AM

Hi Mr. Paul,

Unfortunately, I think I have to add my voice to the concerns of having enough people on the PTS.

The idea of Loyalty cockpit items that provide some sort of boost looks very interesting.

How about that if you play 10-12 matches you get a token from the faction you were in?

Meaning if a person to collect them all, he'd need to play many more matches, meaning more testing.

If the player's a merc, maybe one of the rare Cbill boost cockpit item after 12-15 matches.

A freelancer the XP boost cockpit item? After again a 10-12 matches?

Again, a person that wants them all will have to provide more testing data.

But that's just a first draft of a suggestion in a 2mins typed post, feel free to expand on this or not ;)

Cheers,

#22 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:31 AM

Paul, thank you for the outreach and keeping us all up to date..

It's nice to know how you guys are coming along..

Cheers!

#23 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:13 AM

When will QP Match Maker be also updated? You should clearly understand, that it's way too frustrating to be constantly stomped and have bad matches, when you know, that this loses don't mean, your game will improve in a long term. With proper Match Maker you know, that loss with bad performance = drop of rating. And if you have 100 such matches in a row, then you have 100x rating dropped. And then you know, that at some point you'll start playing against weaker opponents with weaker teammates in your team, so your personal performance will rise. But when you know, that nothing will improve, as your rating just refuses to drop no matter what, then there is no point to lose. And there is no point to play this game at all. Because it isn't actually game, when you don't have a chance to win. It's just some sort of masochism.

#24 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for the update.
But still that April thing.............................

#25 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:09 AM

I might very well be testing the new iteration of faction play IF its not as shallow as its now. I came late to the party, around autumn of 2014. After that I've learned about what faction play originally was supposed to be and why the salt content is so high regarding how shallow faction play is now. Dont get me wrong.

I remember the first two "phases" a couple years back, when I was in a unit and the invasion of the IS was on the horizon. How INTENSE the fights were to hold the clans off from the territory of DC, FRR and LA. Loss after loss but it was fun! Not like what faction play should have been from the old videos. Regarding real time market economics, planets worth by holding STRATEGICALLY not just MC crops and such. But still it was kinda fun with flaws.
I do hope there will be meat on em bones regarding Faction play, because it seems its too shallow with too few groups to make it holding up in the long run. Respect the dedication from those who still bites on.

Would love to see that we have to kinda progress to use mechs of a certain class and config for example. Yeah we keep every mech we have but that they kinda are "locked" until we capture said planet that in lore produced that mech. Make the struggle to take a planet WORTH it. And I as a die hard loyalist want to see bein Loyal to a faction worth alot more thatn what it is now.

Edited by Tordin, 23 March 2019 - 09:11 AM.

#26 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:31 AM

Thank you for the update. Communication with the community is good. Let us make maps for you!

#27 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 259 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:16 AM

View PostBravado, on 23 March 2019 - 12:34 AM, said:

Shirley, you can't be serious.

But Paul, not Shirley :P

#28 Azul The Great

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationn/a

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:11 PM

I actually miss Faction Play, only problem is nobody seems to Que up for it anymore.
Hopefully We will see more people popping on to FP after this update.
Thanks for the update!

#29 VigorousApathy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 130 posts
  • LocationI have no idea. Im getting sky high in a spider 5v.

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:21 PM

https://mwomercs.com...-clan-is-vs-is/

Im just going to leave this here.

TL;DR Clan vs. Clan and IS vs IS fights when the que is stacked to one side. Antagonist described an issue with too many buckets. This issue seems like it could only be solved by ditching attack lanes entirely. Im not a programmer so maybe theres more to it.

I say do it. Disregard every feature that doesn't directly contribute to getting people into a game.

This would also prop up the effectiveness of the new matchmaker.

Edited by VigorousApathy, 23 March 2019 - 01:57 PM.

#30 UltimateWingman

Rookie

• The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:13 PM

But Paul, thanks for the update greatly appreciated. How about everyone saying incentives needed just spred the word with all there units and in game mates to help get the word out instead. I know I will.

#31 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:26 PM

View PostWarmasterRaptor, on 23 March 2019 - 04:58 AM, said:

Hi Mr. Paul,

Unfortunately, I think I have to add my voice to the concerns of having enough people on the PTS.

The idea of Loyalty cockpit items that provide some sort of boost looks very interesting.

How about that if you play 10-12 matches you get a token from the faction you were in?

Meaning if a person to collect them all, he'd need to play many more matches, meaning more testing.

If the player's a merc, maybe one of the rare Cbill boost cockpit item after 12-15 matches.

A freelancer the XP boost cockpit item? After again a 10-12 matches?

Again, a person that wants them all will have to provide more testing data.

But that's just a first draft of a suggestion in a 2mins typed post, feel free to expand on this or not Posted Image

Cheers,

yea i gonna expand this

give players for downloading the PTS client 6000 mc

additional for each login an extra 1500 mc

up to 10 times

after that you get premium time, camos, hero mechs
or cbills (only when you logged in this much that MWO is
threatened to be inflated by real-cash-value items)

the items are selected randomly, except the cbills of course because they dont cost real money

this was just some idead of the top of my head but i gonna think this through for an additional 5 minutes
maybie next year

thnx O7

#32 UltimateWingman

Rookie

• The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:27 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 23 March 2019 - 08:13 AM, said:

When will QP Match Maker be also updated? You should clearly understand, that it's way too frustrating to be constantly stomped and have bad matches, when you know, that this loses don't mean, your game will improve in a long term. With proper Match Maker you know, that loss with bad performance = drop of rating. And if you have 100 such matches in a row, then you have 100x rating dropped. And then you know, that at some point you'll start playing against weaker opponents with weaker teammates in your team, so your personal performance will rise. But when you know, that nothing will improve, as your rating just refuses to drop no matter what, then there is no point to lose. And there is no point to play this game at all. Because it isn't actually game, when you don't have a chance to win. It's just some sort of masochism.

This discussion has nothing to do with QP.

View PostSHRedo, on 23 March 2019 - 02:26 PM, said:

yea i gonna expand this

give players for downloading the PTS client 6000 mc

additional for each login an extra 1500 mc

up to 10 times

after that you get premium time, camos, hero mechs
or cbills (only when you logged in this much that MWO is
threatened to be inflated by real-cash-value items)

the items are selected randomly, except the cbills of course because they dont cost real money

this was just some idead of the top of my head but i gonna think this through for an additional 5 minutes
maybie next year

thnx O7

You are kidding yourself.

#33 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:33 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 23 March 2019 - 08:13 AM, said:

what if 10 tier 1 players in your team decide to play unleveled, worst omega mechs available in the game
vs 12 tier 3 players with meta mechs only, builded with the help of smurfys mechlabs top 5 best build ever?

if you know the answer to this you never ever gonna ask about MM improvements in QP ever again,
maybie even in general....

#34 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 24 March 2019 - 04:28 AM

Is there much the MM even can work with? sadly FP isn't very populated.

#35 Galenthor Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 06:28 AM

I too find myself concerned about the lack of players for the various pts tests, and while I agree that some incentives would be an ideal way to try to alleviate this, I feel that the degree of incentives will be a rather long discussion at the pgi office... I love the idea of a weekly report, keeping us updated with progress made, but the last few tests I have checked out seemed to have fallen short of what the stated goals of said tests. Case in point, the missile pts that was recent done, and implemented with this last patch; since this patch, I have been finding that trying to get a lock even with the full sensor tree active, it is taking upwards of 30 seconds to a minute to get a lock. And while getting a lock with los, the range for it is falling shorter than what I know several of us have hoped. I Know that alot of the laser puke and ballistic bunnies out there want us missile boats to literally stand side by side with them, but speaking as a Clanner, when our weapons systems don't respect the lore, we can't when you are fighting mostly by facehugging your opponent, and our missiles have little to no dmg output when that close. I know that there are those who want missiles to be gone from the game, not caring that if that happens, the game will end up folding as missiles are just as integral to this game as any other weapons system in it.

There are those who try to lambaste us as always hanging back and not getting into the fight, well, when all of the ballistic and laser systems a) don't need locks, B) don't require much skill to keep on/near target when you don't have to worry about getting/keeping a lock to be able to hit said target, and your weapons will still do damage well past your max range when missiles will explode at max range... I don't know how to program, so I don't understand how that can limit how our weapons can't follow the lore better than it does; stealth armor is a prime example; it was never meant to block locks at short range. I know it could be considered that I am beating a dead horse here ( pardon the euphanism(sp?) ) but when I look at the state of the game, and I look at the tabletop that I have been playing since the mid 80's; I see the hopes and dreams of everyone who has ever played this game since it came out coming to fruitition, but fractured... not quite coming to the pinnacle that it can become. There are those that scream that we should all be playing the same builds as they are, that we should play real mechs, not missile boats; to that I say that this is not cookie cutter online, it is Mech Warrior Online. In the lore, the novels, the Clan pilots were able to customize their mechs to suit the terrain there were to be fighting on, while the IS had more numbers of people and mechs to fight with. I do understand that is difficult to code in from what has been explained to me by those I have discussed that with. But with the current setting of the timeline, the IS should have what the Clans do currently for dmg reduction for missiles under optimal range, and the Clans should have no min range/dmg reduction at all. That too several folks have said is too difficult to program; it has been too long since I played the previous MW games to remember if that was a factor in them at the time, although I am sure that there are those who will remember if it was there or not. Also remember that not everyone who plays is in perfect health; some of us have limitations that can affect which weapon systems we can get to work to the best effect. Screaming at someone because the view they are using isn't one that works for you isn't productive to winning the match.

#36 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 03:03 PM

But Paul,

there's just not enough players on the PTS to run FW matches, unless you go for something silly like 4v4...

#37 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 24 March 2019 - 03:12 PM

View PostGalenthor Kerensky, on 24 March 2019 - 06:28 AM, said:

I too find myself concerned about the lack of players for the various pts tests, and while I agree that some incentives would be an ideal way to try to alleviate this, I feel that the degree of incentives will be a rather long discussion at the pgi office... I love the idea of a weekly report, keeping us updated with progress made, but the last few tests I have checked out seemed to have fallen short of what the stated goals of said tests. Case in point, the missile pts that was recent done, and implemented with this last patch; since this patch, I have been finding that trying to get a lock even with the full sensor tree active, it is taking upwards of 30 seconds to a minute to get a lock. And while getting a lock with los, the range for it is falling shorter than what I know several of us have hoped. I Know that alot of the laser puke and ballistic bunnies out there want us missile boats to literally stand side by side with them, but speaking as a Clanner, when our weapons systems don't respect the lore, we can't when you are fighting mostly by facehugging your opponent, and our missiles have little to no dmg output when that close. I know that there are those who want missiles to be gone from the game, not caring that if that happens, the game will end up folding as missiles are just as integral to this game as any other weapons system in it.

There are those who try to lambaste us as always hanging back and not getting into the fight, well, when all of the ballistic and laser systems a) don't need locks, Posted Image don't require much skill to keep on/near target when you don't have to worry about getting/keeping a lock to be able to hit said target, and your weapons will still do damage well past your max range when missiles will explode at max range... I don't know how to program, so I don't understand how that can limit how our weapons can't follow the lore better than it does; stealth armor is a prime example; it was never meant to block locks at short range. I know it could be considered that I am beating a dead horse here ( pardon the euphanism(sp?) ) but when I look at the state of the game, and I look at the tabletop that I have been playing since the mid 80's; I see the hopes and dreams of everyone who has ever played this game since it came out coming to fruitition, but fractured... not quite coming to the pinnacle that it can become. There are those that scream that we should all be playing the same builds as they are, that we should play real mechs, not missile boats; to that I say that this is not cookie cutter online, it is Mech Warrior Online. In the lore, the novels, the Clan pilots were able to customize their mechs to suit the terrain there were to be fighting on, while the IS had more numbers of people and mechs to fight with. I do understand that is difficult to code in from what has been explained to me by those I have discussed that with. But with the current setting of the timeline, the IS should have what the Clans do currently for dmg reduction for missiles under optimal range, and the Clans should have no min range/dmg reduction at all. That too several folks have said is too difficult to program; it has been too long since I played the previous MW games to remember if that was a factor in them at the time, although I am sure that there are those who will remember if it was there or not. Also remember that not everyone who plays is in perfect health; some of us have limitations that can affect which weapon systems we can get to work to the best effect. Screaming at someone because the view they are using isn't one that works for you isn't productive to winning the match.

Not to beat another entirely different dead horse, but there is not a single MW title that has really captured the turn-based rules and mechanics of TT. Every single MW game had to make decisions about how to handle concepts that simply don't translate to a real time game. While some of your concerns may not seem related to this, it all is, when one aspect of the game differs from TT there is a ripple effect out to others.

If you want it to emulate TT then Hairbrained has a pretty good product...

#38 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 24 March 2019 - 04:46 PM

I'm gonna make a suggestion here, and frankly I don't know how hard this is to implement but please consider it. But first my reasoning.

The purpose of the PTS is to test the matchmaker, NOT to test game mechanics. The actual games played and the results are somewhat irrelevant to the actual test. To maximize the data gathered it would be best to maximize the games played in the time available with the players on hand. Typical FP matches which run for up to 30 mins is a complete waste of time in this case.

So can we just play 2 drop matches? In my experience the result of most FP matches is determined in the first 2 drops anyway. Sure comebacks happen but for the sake of this test we only need to see if the matches are coming out somewhat even. Limit time to 15 minute matches and this will double the potential data obtained in the time the PTS is up.

Also players will need to voluntarily break up and change groups around on a regular basis so the MM has different data sets to work with. Getting on with 11 other unit members and ripping through pugs for the whole test isn't necessarily going to help the MM data gathering either. We as players need to help test the bugs by presenting the MM with as many different problems to solve as possible. this means changing groups, group size, player quality and any other variable we can think of. If we want MM to be better overall this is the chance to test it properly.

Being able to keep what you earn on the PTS is unrealistic. Cloning a data base for PTS use is (comparitively) easy. Working out what you had before the test vs after vs what your live account earned in the time between cloning and the end of the PTS would be very difficult requiring multiple snapshots in time with some mathematical gymnastics to work out the differences. Also PTS gives the opportunity to buy, spend and experiment without consequence so why would you want to limit that opportunity.

If you want to incentivize people to play on the PTS the a simple reward for logging in is the easier option. I would suggest a simple cockpit item that gives a bonus on the mech played much like the faction medallions do. Give 1 for every login to PTS with say 5 matches played.

I'll update my PTS and login hopefully there will be enough on to get matches during OC time.

#39 Geewiz 27

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:56 PM

View PostGalenthor Kerensky, on 24 March 2019 - 06:28 AM, said:

There are those who try to lambaste us as always hanging back and not getting into the fight, well, when all of the ballistic and laser systems a) don't need locks, Posted Image don't require much skill to keep on/near target when you don't have to worry about getting/keeping a lock to be able to hit said target, and your weapons will still do damage well past your max range when missiles will explode at max range... I don't know how to program, so I don't understand how that can limit how our weapons can't follow the lore better than it does; stealth armor is a prime example; it was never meant to block locks at short range. I know it could be considered that I am beating a dead horse here ( pardon the euphanism(sp?) ) but when I look at the state of the game, and I look at the tabletop that I have been playing since the mid 80's; I see the hopes and dreams of everyone who has ever played this game since it came out coming to fruitition, but fractured... not quite coming to the pinnacle that it can become. There are those that scream that we should all be playing the same builds as they are, that we should play real mechs, not missile boats; to that I say that this is not cookie cutter online, it is Mech Warrior Online. In the lore, the novels, the Clan pilots were able to customize their mechs to suit the terrain there were to be fighting on, while the IS had more numbers of people and mechs to fight with. I do understand that is difficult to code in from what has been explained to me by those I have discussed that with. But with the current setting of the timeline, the IS should have what the Clans do currently for dmg reduction for missiles under optimal range, and the Clans should have no min range/dmg reduction at all. That too several folks have said is too difficult to program; it has been too long since I played the previous MW games to remember if that was a factor in them at the time, although I am sure that there are those who will remember if it was there or not. Also remember that not everyone who plays is in perfect health; some of us have limitations that can affect which weapon systems we can get to work to the best effect. Screaming at someone because the view they are using isn't one that works for you isn't productive to winning the match.

Galen posting in the wrong area to complain about recent LRM balance changes mate. This is FACTION WARFARE THREAD.

#40 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:49 PM

But Paul...

Facta non Verba.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users