• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 30 March 2019 - 05:47 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 30 March 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

Posted Image

Greetings MechWarriors! Mech Dads unite to raise awareness for Autism!

Play some matches for "Dad Bot" related Items

inspired by PGI Employee Mike Forst's daughter.

"Piranha Games, developers of MechWarrior Online, is partnering with Autism Canada to advocate for and support people with Autism and their families so that those on the Autism Spectrum can have full, healthy and happy lives."

Look for more details on Monday!
Live Streams starting April 2nd

speaking as one of your community members with Autism.... thank you. Also hank you for NOT being linked (I think) to Autism Speaks.

View Postjohntherussian, on 30 March 2019 - 02:46 PM, said:

I appreciate the fact they are trying to do something for a good cause, but I don't know if they thought this one through. Considering the community, the event has more than one meaning.

only to ********. Which admittedly MWO forums at least have their share of. (as does gaming and the internet in general)

View PostMike Forst, on 30 March 2019 - 05:03 PM, said:

To help provide some context for this event:

My daughter who has autism drew the Dadbot art. A couple of years ago I picked her from her Kindergarten field trip and brought her back to the office for the rest of the afternoon until it was time to go home. I found her some pencil crayons and she ended up drawing a robot with DAD written underneath it.

I shared it on Twitter and our resident concept artist, Alex Iglesias, saw it and quickly drew it up as MWO concept art and then replied to my Tweet with it. From there modeling it as a cockpit item ended up in our project management software and now it's going to be in the game.

I'm very happy and proud to have my daughter's doodle tunr into something that can help so many other people. It's always great to be able to give back and spread awareness.

I'll be going on streams starting on Tuesday to share my daughter's and my story and to help spread awareness. I look forward to talking to everyone and am more than willing to talk about my experiences.

that's awesome Mike. Always happy to show support for others on the spectrum.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 30 March 2019 - 05:48 PM.

#22 Eurystheus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 05:55 PM

My 5 1/2 year old grandson is on the spectrum. He likes to watch me play and announces the results:

"Bad guys killed you grandpa!" "Bad guys won."

-or-

"You won grandpa, good guys won!"

I'm all in for this event.

#23 Gronde

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 05:56 PM

Congrats folks! Really looking forward to this event, one of my nephews has autism so this touchs close to home.

#24 Me tarzan

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:08 PM

My daughter who has autism drew the Dadbot art. A couple of years ago I picked her from her Kindergarten field trip and brought her back to the office for the rest of the afternoon until it was time to go home. I found her some pencil crayons and she ended up drawing a robot with DAD written underneath it.

I shared it on Twitter and our resident concept artist, Alex Iglesias, saw it and quickly drew it up as MWO concept art and then replied to my Tweet with it. From there modeling it as a cockpit item ended up in our project management software and now it's going to be in the game.

I'm very happy and proud to have my daughter's doodle tunr into something that can help so many other people. It's always great to be able to give back and spread awareness.

I'll be going on streams starting on Tuesday to share my daughter's and my story and to help spread awareness. I look forward to talking to everyone and am more than willing to talk about my experiences.

That is fantastic. I only use the warhorns for cockpit items, but I will happily add every one I receive through the event to my mechs. Hopefully this event runs with something cool we can buy to help PGI support Autism Canada in thier mission. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thanks

#25 Callsigntal0n

• PipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 08:18 PM

As older brother to a younger sibling with autism this event has my full approval, i will be completeing EVERY challenge.

#26 TH3_SCHW4RTZ

• Pip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 19 posts
  • LocationIn your house, farting on your stuff.

Posted 30 March 2019 - 08:46 PM

It's great to see you giving your daughters' creativity some exposure. My cockpit can always use some rad art to spruce up the joint.

Edited by SchwarzeRaubtier, 30 March 2019 - 08:46 PM.

#27 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:16 PM

Happy to play games and get free stuff... but this is an opportunity to have a sale or something and donate proceeds to an autism related charity instead of just giving us stuff. To me that is a bit of a more direct connection that I would be happy to throw a fee bucks at.

#28 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:46 PM

Both my boys are on the spectrum, as a fellow MechDad this is nice to see.

#29 BoomerZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 127 posts
  • LocationEngland......UK......

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:55 PM

I am glad that you have explained the background to the design (top marks to your daughter) of the bizzy bot ( I had to give this little bot a name, hope your daughter does not mind). As you can see it does not take very much to get the haters motivated. So may I suggest that you put an overlay on the image..."Desinged by ........" hopefully there will be no more negative comments.
Count me in too the event and good luck..big hugs to your daughter.

#30 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:06 PM

Super excited to see the Dadmech decal in game. I remember that tweet and I immediately asked for that to get into the game for a father's day event. My kids like drawing mechs as well, and I know I had some similar looking art on the fridge back then.

#31 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:30 PM

Mike Forst & the rest of PGI's Staff, I'm glad to see you putting support to a rather good cause once again. While I may have originally planned on taking a (potentially unlimited) hiatus from MWO after Lucky Charms 2019 finishes, this has drawn my respect and will to stick around just a few hairs longer. I might have a body that's in variably shaky condition, but I'll stick my neck out to show some In-Game Support in regard to Autism Awareness, for it is wrong of others to ridicule anyone's disabilities and/or other such problems. If necessary, I'll verbally (or text, if needs be) "fry" anyone who would dare be disrespectful in such a manner. Don't worry, that will be done in a manner that does NOT violate the MWO CoC in any way. I couldn't enjoy wearing a pair of sunglasses otherwise. B)

~Mr. D. V. "more than ready to set their foot down on those who wrongfully ridicule others" Devnull

[Quick Edit by Post Author because they feel like they missed formatting some text properly.]

Edited by D V Devnull, 30 March 2019 - 10:33 PM.

#32 Deeber

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 90 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:41 PM

Sometimes, less is more, and in that spirit I simply say: o7

#33 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:43 PM

Well, well PGI and Mr. Forst .
Well played indeed .
Charity is about the only thing that could make me come back for some time .
Especially a charity about autism .

P.s.: Autism is not a sickness to me, just a highly specialized and quite different sensor&processing starting package than we "normals" get . I got to know a few people with Autism from mild to very severe, and lemme tell you : they are some of the most interesting people I have ever met or talked with .

#34 Grottenolm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 300 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGermany / NRW

Posted 31 March 2019 - 12:37 AM

How about a Sale in which all incoming money is donated to a Autism Charity ? When you are planning such a thing then do it right. Like Sarahs Jenner:

https://www.verywell...support-4148382

Edited by Grottenolm, 31 March 2019 - 12:39 AM.

#35 Gully D

• PipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:00 AM

Fantastic ! well worth the support

#36 KhanBhacKeD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 280 posts
  • LocationDans les branches du skill tree

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:22 AM

@Pgi I think you have an error on website event, having 2 time "mech dad unit level 2" for 500 and 1000 match score.
I think 1k one should have been "level 3".

Nice event and a good cause to make it. But as many people tell it before, a sale for with funds given to an autism association is a great idea (like standing item + warhorn pack) (some mechs) (mechbays) etc... Small but some u know many people are going to take at least 1.

Edited by KhanBhacKeD, 31 March 2019 - 01:28 AM.

#37 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:52 AM

**edit too slow*"
This is going to sound weird but can we have that cartoon mech as a playable mech maybe for something like the duration of the event. It's already got a large laser or large pulse laser in its right arm. Maybe three machine guns in those holes in the right torso.......

Even better have a strictly this mech only match!! And have it's stats separated from player stats too.

A little comical fun would be great.

Edited by mad kat, 31 March 2019 - 01:56 AM.

#38 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 613 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:09 AM

Well, I'm from ASD (autism spectrum disorder), having Asperger Syndrome, and I'm glad that there is such event. Especially that I have brother, who's also an Aspie, and I know that my neighbors have children with autism.

Posted Image

Go Clan Puzzle Ribbon! Posted Image

#39 Oberodious

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:44 AM

Hell yeah. First forum post for this, and i just want to say, as a member of the autism community, with many autistic or otherwise non "neurotypical" friends, this is awesome, and has my full support. If i wasn't properly broke i would totally be up for buying any mech you guys put on sale for the proceeds to go to the charity. Mike Forst, I hope your daughter is doing well. I know how difficult it can be to raise a child with autism, and to be a child with autism in a world that doesn't really get it.

#40 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:50 AM

thumps up.

(although, i'm playing tier 1 quickplay, i'm fairly aware of autism)

Question is, why won't you let us buy the items? I have literally zero issues paying for the dadbot items and decals.

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 31 March 2019 - 02:54 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users