Mwo Autism Awareness Event!

94 replies to this topic

#41 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 31 March 2019 - 03:20 AM

View PostMike Forst, on 30 March 2019 - 05:03 PM, said:

To help provide some context for this event:

My daughter who has autism drew the Dadbot art. A couple of years ago I picked her from her Kindergarten field trip and brought her back to the office for the rest of the afternoon until it was time to go home. I found her some pencil crayons and she ended up drawing a robot with DAD written underneath it.

I shared it on Twitter and our resident concept artist, Alex Iglesias, saw it and quickly drew it up as MWO concept art and then replied to my Tweet with it. From there modeling it as a cockpit item ended up in our project management software and now it's going to be in the game.

I'm very happy and proud to have my daughter's doodle tunr into something that can help so many other people. It's always great to be able to give back and spread awareness.

I'll be going on streams starting on Tuesday to share my daughter's and my story and to help spread awareness. I look forward to talking to everyone and am more than willing to talk about my experiences.

I decided to poke Twitter and find what you were describing... It actually looks kinda cute. ^_^

I am left with one question however, and I know you might not have (or even wish to provide) an answer or guess for it... It's purely from wonder and curiosity, so please don't take me the wrong way... "What was on her mind at the time that she saw things, including you, in that way?" :o

~D. V. "just happening to have that one odd curious question out of a want to understand better" Devnull

#42 lobsterhierarchy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 100 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:42 AM

Kind of on the nose that all the objectives are self centered and non social (team) XD I’m glad you’re making an event of it but no need to draw awareness...we are all aware of the personality of the competitive community.

#43 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:21 AM

So that's what a Urbi fan looks like.. wow.

#44 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:00 AM

Just wanted to check back in and reinforce the idea that you guys (PGI) need to get more involved in charity functions. That should also include an opportunity to raise donations.

"Raising Awareness" is great.

But Raising Money is better.

6 years ago you guys (PGI) did A Great Thing. And part of the Great Thing raised $122K for the Canadian Cancer Society. You said at the time that you put all the legal and administrative mechanisms in place to be able to do this again in the future...

...and then nothing...

For 6 years, you've sat on your hands...

So now DO SOMETHING WITH THIS!

I'm happy to help "raise awareness". Sure. Great. But speaking as someone who has worked closely with local charities around me, what is really helpful? Is RAISING MONEY. And an event like this, with a linked donation-sale can do both.

Make this current "Autism Awareness" event mark your engagement into being more than you are. More than the sum of your parts.

A quarterly (?) selection of a cause (this quarter Autism Awareness, for example), sell a skin for a mech, a standing cockpit item, decals (dekkals? wtf?), maybe an occasional warhorn, maybe even a special mech variant from time to time.

Proceeds go to charity of the quarter, items are for sale in the store. Event kicks off the start of the specific drive each quarter.

Why have you (PGI) shied away from this?

Become more than you are.

#45 JUGMAN

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:01 AM

View PostJustCaustic, on 30 March 2019 - 01:01 PM, said:

<Daughter that's 5.

.. i appreciate everyday that she remains in good health, let me tell you.. it's easy to be a parent when your child never had anything to be worried about other than a fever. This is good event, good cause...

Shout out to my young and old fathers alike, my dad brought me to Battletech and I'm sure your daughter has saw it too.
Strong fathers unite!

Great statement here from a guy that is difficult to beat in Solaris. Good matches and salute to a fine pilot and human being.

PGI truely a great cause!!!!

#46 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 519 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:56 AM

How could i not support this? I will be there.

#47 Maxx31

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14 posts
  • LocationValley of the Sun

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:39 AM

View PostUnnatural Growth, on 30 March 2019 - 02:53 PM, said:

Jesus C there PGI. It's about time you do another charity ANYTHING.

This salty-bitter-island dwelling-vet is glad to see you doing something bigger than yourselves again.

Even though my wallet has been closed to you for some time now, put together a mech for this, and I'll buy it.

Do more of these. THIS is The Good Stuff.

I totally agree. Do up some merchandise where a portion goes to Autism (Ghost Bear is already the right colors!) I have a son and a nephew on the spectrum and would love to do some screen caps for them.

#48 Glowhyena

Rookie

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 9 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:40 AM

Cool! I have autism, too, it's Asperger's syndrome. :)

View PostWill9761, on 30 March 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

As a person who has Autism, I approve.

Same.

#49 Rebel Ace Fryslan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 439 posts
  • LocationAd Astra

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:39 AM

ASD. is not well enough documentated and practically understood in the Care part yet.
So allot more can be done to improve the practise of people with ASD

There isn't one ASD. and not one lvl, it also has so much potential to unlock.
ASD is underrated, but both the person and it's surroundings can be helped so much more in understanding.

https://en.wikipedia...Autism_spectrum

Ps: seems i need to use dots to write that acronym ;)

Edited by Rebel Ace Fryslan, 31 March 2019 - 09:45 AM.

#50 LIGHT WOLF

• PipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:36 AM

Well, have to support teammates with their illness, otherwise my auitists get every second game Posted Image Posted Image

#51 easy0n

• PipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:46 AM

I have 2 little boys on the spectrum so I do not have much time to devote to gaming, but I will definitely do this event.
Come to think of it, in over 30 years of gaming, I have never seen a game do an Autism awareness event so this is really nice. Thank you.

#52 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 737 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:04 AM

View PostMike Forst, on 30 March 2019 - 05:03 PM, said:

To help provide some context for this event:

My daughter who has autism drew the Dadbot art. A couple of years ago I picked her from her Kindergarten field trip and brought her back to the office for the rest of the afternoon until it was time to go home. I found her some pencil crayons and she ended up drawing a robot with DAD written underneath it.

I shared it on Twitter and our resident concept artist, Alex Iglesias, saw it and quickly drew it up as MWO concept art and then replied to my Tweet with it. From there modeling it as a cockpit item ended up in our project management software and now it's going to be in the game.

I'm very happy and proud to have my daughter's doodle tunr into something that can help so many other people. It's always great to be able to give back and spread awareness.

I'll be going on streams starting on Tuesday to share my daughter's and my story and to help spread awareness. I look forward to talking to everyone and am more than willing to talk about my experiences.

And considering this event goes live precisely after April's fools, it's a matter of time before MechDad becomes available to pilot in-game. Everyone prepare for Urbie 2.0.

#53 Feenah2015

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:20 PM

This is awesome!!!!! I have a 10yo son who is autistic, and he plays MWO as well, and loves it. I hope this becomes an annual event!!!!

#54 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:08 PM

I think it's time to break out that special Jenner, maybe for the whole night.

TBH PGI, you make a "Dadbot" urbanmech hero and I'll buy it, provided the proceeds go to an Autism charity much like the "Sarah's Jenner" did.

#55 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:10 PM

nice april fools joke
xD xD xD
i laughed my *** off
xD xD xD
d(@_@)d
a bit of bad taste swings with this one but ok....

Edited by SHRedo, 31 March 2019 - 04:12 PM.

#56 PaleRider3025

Rookie

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:21 PM

SHRedo,

This wasn't meant to be an April Fool's joke it just happens that PGI is deploying it on that day, the first of April. As a father of a child who has autism I don't find your post funny or hilarious.I couldn't find any humor in my daughter learning sign language at the age of 3 then speaking her first word at 5 years old which was Dad. I couldn't find any humor in my daughter screaming in department stores because of sensory overload and having people stare at us or even mutter words of disgust under their breath.I couldn't find any humor when a daycare worker told me that my daughter had no place there because of her disability. I couldn't find any humor in knowing my daughter will probably never have a family of her own and a life she deserves to live. I couldn't find any humor in knowing that when i'm gone what will become of my daughter? I do however find your post, and the viciousness contained therein in very bad taste and hope that one day, you mature and if you ever have children I hope you never have to experience the loss you feel when you have a child with a disability. And if you do have a child then I hope that you would be kind enough as to not mock the rest of us who have or know people with autism.

#57 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:39 PM

As a high-functioning autistic (or whatever the current term is, when I was tested it was judged as more severe than Asperger's, but I can kind of work past it, so high-functioning was the term) and long-term mech pilot, I appreciate the tone intended by this event. I don't live in Canada, so I've not been aware of the particular charity referenced, but mightn't it be a good idea to use the structure you put into place for the cancer-related stuff to actually raise funds? I'd expect you could get some good contributions together to benefit autistic people who have a harder time than I do getting by in this increasingly socially-oriented world.

Though, thinking about it, I'm hard pressed whether to suggest using a nigh-perfectly symmetrical 'mech or the ramshackle Corsair as a 'mech centerpiece for such an event/fundraiser. Both would have their relevance....

At any rate, Thanks for thinking to do something like this.

-QKD-CR0

Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, 31 March 2019 - 08:39 PM.

#58 Yumoshiri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:27 AM

Does this event mean we'll be seeing the Urbanmech iic?

#59 Fryepod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 111 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationUpstate, New York

Posted 01 April 2019 - 03:52 AM

View PostJUGMAN, on 31 March 2019 - 06:01 AM, said:

Great statement here from a guy that is difficult to beat in Solaris. Good matches and salute to a fine pilot and human being.

PGI truely a great cause!!!!

Thank you Jug. I was actually chatting with a friend during our last spur of getting queued together..

Was like "man this guy is about to get me for a 3rd time a row, he's just melting right through me. I'm starting to get desperate enough to leg him" lol.

GGs and look foward to playing against you and your builds on the feild of honor again piolt o7

#60 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 613 posts
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 01 April 2019 - 04:26 AM

View PostSHRedo, on 31 March 2019 - 04:10 PM, said:

nice april fools joke
xD xD xD
i laughed my *** off
xD xD xD
d(@_@)d
a bit of bad taste swings with this one but ok....

Wrong thread. -_-
For 1st April event head here: https://mwomercs.com...ae-are-restless

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users