59 replies to this topic

#1 Xarub

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 9 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

I whish you would make maps that don't require us to run heat vision all the time if we don't want to get snow blind. If there is a snow storm it makes sense but running heatvision on a clear bright day?

The map physically hurts my eyes until I activate heat vision as "sunglasses". That is a terrible design choice.

[EDIT:] Additionally I wanted to mention that currently no Subforum for the new map in this forum exists. I imagine that there is more "feedback" coming and opening one would make sense. [/EDIT]

Edited by Xarub, 16 April 2019 - 12:17 PM.

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:17 PM

vision modes would be useless if you didnt have to use them

id like to see night maps where night vision is actually useful.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:21 PM

View PostKhobai, on 16 April 2019 - 12:17 PM, said:

vision modes would be useless if you didnt have to use them

id like to see night maps where night vision is actually useful.

Night vision isn't hampered by lack of night maps, it's hindered by its lack of letting you see things even at night.

#4 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:08 PM

I'm not a fan of heat vision either tbh. Everything is sort of fuzzy especially if you're more than 300m from your opponent. It makes it challenging to target components.

#5 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:12 PM

View PostWolfos31, on 16 April 2019 - 01:08 PM, said:

I'm not a fan of heat vision either tbh. Everything is sort of fuzzy especially if you're more than 300m from your opponent. It makes it challenging to target components.

I find heat vision useful for increasing the color contrast between the target and the environment, basically making it easier to spot people within its effective range. In default mode mechs sometimes seem to blend right in with the environment, or maybe that's just my horrible eyes making it seem that way. Mechs in this game don't visually stand out as much as enemies do in games like TF2 or OW.

It's also very useful for seeing past visual obstructions like smoke, fire, etc. while you're being bombarded with missiles and/or autocannons.

#6 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:14 PM

The sheer brightness of this map singlehandedly wins it the "worst map in the game" title. It's hard to have any opinion on any other aspect of the map, when I mostly can't see anything.

#7 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:16 PM

If I had to guess PGI's reasoning for this it's because PGI looked at one of the common reasons that people pick cold or neutral-temp maps over hot maps (good visibility) and decided to equalize the situation by making a cold map with terrible visibility rather than improving visibility on the unpopular maps. Make everybody have to squint on every map, I guess that's one way to achieve equality...

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:55 PM

View PostFupDup, on 16 April 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

Night vision isn't hampered by lack of night maps, it's hindered by its lack of letting you see things even at night.

I would argue the night maps have too much light on them to even need night vision in the first place.

#9 LTC Kilgore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:57 PM

View PostFupDup, on 16 April 2019 - 01:16 PM, said:

If I had to guess PGI's reasoning for this it's because PGI looked at one of the common reasons that people pick cold or neutral-temp maps over hot maps (good visibility) and decided to equalize the situation by making a cold map with terrible visibility rather than improving visibility on the unpopular maps. Make everybody have to squint on every map, I guess that's one way to achieve equality...

Or, people have their gamma set way high.......

#10 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:02 PM

Good. Deal with it.

#11 Kanil

• 1,067 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:04 PM

View PostLTC Kilgore, on 16 April 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

Or, people have their gamma set way high.......

... well, I had mine on 0.5, which I'd imagine is the default. The map does look like every other snow map when set to 0.2.

Guess I'll just manually change it every time this thing gets voted in. Should probably start doing that for more maps, really... interesting idea.

#12 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:12 PM

It's too bright, yes. My gamma setting on my Nvidia card and monitor are both neutral. I might have to manually bring it down like the above poster mentioned if the map is selected.

#13 BackShot

• PipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:19 PM

i guess they want to force brawling on this map, first it is a very little map like the classic ones, and second, heat vision is very bad on cold maps passed 500meters

#14 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:36 PM

Oh its not so bad.

Posted Image

#15 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:46 PM

*too

turn down your gamma

#16 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:36 PM

the problem with hibernal rift is that its hibernating. ive been playing hours and have yet to see the "new" (containing almost 3% original content) map.

Edited by LordNothing, 16 April 2019 - 03:36 PM.

#17 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:39 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 16 April 2019 - 02:02 PM, said:

Good. Deal with it.

lawl.

Bloom fog is cancer dude. There are better ways to make other vision modes relevant/restrict visibility.

#18 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:43 PM

Agreed.. map is way too bright.... can't make out details......

And yeah, yadda yadda Gamma....

Still too bright ....

#19 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:00 PM

Yeah, its way too bright. That said, with all those new ramps and terrain cover and the enemy team all running heat vision, my vomit HBR blended right in to the tune of 1200 dmg first time on the map. So maybe leave it alone for a few weeks, lol.

#20 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:50 PM

Love all the “adjust your gamma” comments. Yay, I have to go into settings every time I get this map and turn it low. Then change it to high when I get River City night. Then to normal when I get Crimson Straight. Just what we all want with this game, more work just to play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users