148 replies to this topic

#1 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:44 PM

Had a couple of hours away from my newly minted Mechdad duties to play with the standard MAD II pack that came with the MW5 preorder, keeping in mind my immediate drop in skill now that I'm a father, plus sleep deprivation, I have some thoughts on the Marauder II and would be interested to hear yours... For the next few minutes until my little sleeping time bomb goes off and something springs forth from one or more orifices.

The high mount is *high*, like you can shoot at red boxes while your cockpit is still behind a wall kind of high.

It is rather tanky, oddly, I usually lost a side torso before getting my centre cored out.

Sadly, that was always the gun mount torso. I wonder why?

I can rarely find builds that make good use of hardpoints, 100T on energy or energy plus a handful of ballistics either make for iffy junk that just doesn't pack a good punch, or something that melts. It's hard to describe, the 'Mech cooks often and 3/4 of its hardpoints are in the arms, so despite the high gun, it is bad at poking.

All these observations are based on no sp spent though.

I think it could be an OK 'Mech, I did best with the 5A using 2 LB10X 6 MPLas, but in general nothing I have tried has made satisfactory use of the top mount. Two RAC5 came close, but that sucks, I mean a Bushie can do that.

#2 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:04 PM

I didn't buy the pack. That said, I do find it much easier to pick out CT on the MAD-II compared to the MAD or MAD-IIC. I don't know if that's simply because its bigger, or its a hitbox thing, but it doesn't seem to spread dmg quite as well as its smaller brethren. Some of those structure quirks might need to become armor quirks, but I won't pass judgement until we see the new mech swarm die down and good pilots show us what can be done.

#3 Uakari

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:11 PM

only played some games yet.
UAC 20 with 5 ermed + 1 large pulse
3 large pulse + 5 medium
8 srm4 artemis + 4 ersmalls

all std engines. you almost always will loose a side torso first, which would make the heat management useless. So better leave 10 pts of firepower at home and have fun with one side torso less.

#4 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:14 PM

It is absurdly easy to headshot. The cockpit hitbox is huge, and dead in the middle of the CT.

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:16 PM

View PostUakari, on 16 April 2019 - 06:11 PM, said:

only played some games yet.
UAC 20 with 5 ermed + 1 large pulse
3 large pulse + 5 medium
8 srm4 artemis + 4 ersmalls

all std engines. you almost always will loose a side torso first, which would make the heat management useless. So better leave 10 pts of firepower at home and have fun with one side torso less.

Yup standard 300-325 has been my lot, it's slow but honestly you get little gains from the heavier engines, although the 4A does benefit from a larger engine due to the free heatsink crit slots.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:43 PM

i could sum it up in one word:

meh.

#7 Uakari

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:44 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 16 April 2019 - 06:16 PM, said:

Yup standard 300-325 has been my lot, it's slow but honestly you get little gains from the heavier engines, although the 4A does benefit from a larger engine due to the free heatsink crit slots.

it would really benifit from going faster then 60 kph, and from an usable ct hardpoint - i always end as a stick, although I try absolutely NOT to torso twist. Still seems to be a good mech.

Ended up with 8 SRM6 Artemis with one version now. Had one 800 dmg match which I felt was mediocre at best.

Edited by Uakari, 16 April 2019 - 06:45 PM.

#8 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:45 PM

That big gun is nothing but CT.

Hit it at every angle.

#9 Uakari

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:04 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 16 April 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

Hit it at every angle.

does it count as a ct hit? its located in the side torso after all.

#10 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:01 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 16 April 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

Hit it at every angle.

Reeally? I assumed it belonged to one of the side torsii... Ouch!

#11 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,819 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:14 PM

Haven't got too much time with it so far only got two matches with 4hp with 8xsrm6+1xsrm4 with 2ml as back up. Only upgrades is dhs rest is standard still had enough space to put like 8dhs. First match nearly 800 damage on hpg scared alot of folks when they drop under basement even with my LT missing it was still strong enough to rip a fresh awesome and a half fresh warhammer back to back.

Need to do more runs before final judgement.

#12 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:36 PM

I'm aching to try the 8 MRM 10 loadout on the 4HP with 2 JJ and LFE 360 just for the sake of it. I probably would swap them out with regular SRM 6s later.

#13 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:09 PM

Here are my thoughts:

I was really hoping the 9 missile variant would be able to field LRM70 or LRM80 effectively, but alas, due to ammo tonnage and speed requirements, best I could do is the IS Gold Standard - LRM60. That's slightly disappointing, but not unexpected.

Next, the mech is sluggish, might need mobility skills, and the torsos get blown off easily, need to invest in survivability.

But despite all this - The Maruder II has one of the most beautiful cockpits in the game - I love how the lines light up during power up.

The mech itself also looks great, especially with the high torso mounts. Altho, there is now the already standard problem that happens on the last few released mechs - the broken-up geometry that does not allow straight surfaces suitable for decals, so this mech is hard to pimp-out visually.

#14 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:11 AM

4hp, mrm 120 is a blast.

#15 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:24 AM

View Postccrider, on 17 April 2019 - 12:11 AM, said:

4hp, mrm 120 is a blast.

How many tons of ammo does that come with?

Sounds amazing..

#16 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:44 AM

There are like assaults, everywhere. Mostly the new Marauder. Sometimes, six out of twelve mechs in one team are assaults. So was the other.

Corsairs are sudden like so last month.

Trying to decide whether to buy a pack.

#17 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:54 AM

It's good and damn solid. I have the whole gamut and each chassis can be exactly what you want it to be. Las-vomit, check, Crazy missile spam lord, check, ecm-stealth gauss sniper, check, uac srm brawler, check, dakka dakka dakk, check, big brother Hgauss med-pulse marauder, check.

Only thing it can't do is the stale and over done dual-Hgauss or quad lbx10 set ups. If you rely on those to function in an IS assault then there are other issues.

#18 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:09 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 16 April 2019 - 11:09 PM, said:

Here are my thoughts:

I was really hoping the 9 missile variant would be able to field LRM70 or LRM80 effectively, but alas, due to ammo tonnage and speed requirements, best I could do is the IS Gold Standard - LRM60. That's slightly disappointing, but not unexpected.

Next, the mech is sluggish, might need mobility skills, and the torsos get blown off easily, need to invest in survivability.

But despite all this - The Maruder II has one of the most beautiful cockpits in the game - I love how the lines light up during power up.

The mech itself also looks great, especially with the high torso mounts. Altho, there is now the already standard problem that happens on the last few released mechs - the broken-up geometry that does not allow straight surfaces suitable for decals, so this mech is hard to pimp-out visually.

It can absolutely carry lrm 80, albeit no backup.How many tons of ammo is not enough?

#19 PAYWALL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 147 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:27 AM

MAD 4HP with 8xSRM 6, all the heatsinks you can fit, 1JJ, 7,5 t of ammo (with ammo nodes) and LFE 350 is viable for brawling duties.
MAD-4HP

#20 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:38 AM

I've been having fun with all three of the ones I got, more than I ever got out of my Atlas (the sole 100 tonner I previously had). It takes some doing figuring out an optimal loadout for each one that matches my playstyle though.

I pretty much go for massed Medium Lasers in the arms (as much as I have hard points for) and then whatever weaponry I can pack into the torso. All three MAD2s wind up stuffed to the gills with DHS, and even then I feel like I have to nerf my firepower just so I don't easily overheat and shut down in the middle of combat. Still fun though.

Also, I'm considering putting upgrading my 4A's engine froim 325 Light to 350 Light purely for the extra heat sink slot.

Hmm. Would the 4A be one of those mechs where it's better to used massed single heat sinks?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users