67 replies to this topic

#1 Catnium

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:15 PM

So like now that Lurms are essentially ATMs
What's the point of ATMS now ?

Someone splain this to me coz i dont get it .

#2 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:23 PM

ATMs deal a lot more damage per missile (3 at close range and 2 at mid range) and have more missile health as well as less spread and less missiles per volley when compared to LRMs.
I've compared all of these stats literally yesterday when experimenting with Timber Wolf builds.

Edited by admiralbenbow123, 28 April 2019 - 12:24 PM.

#3 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:28 PM

ATMs deal significantly more damage in their ideal range bracket, and teach you how to play LRMs correctly.

#4 Catnium

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:44 PM

yes i realised all that
how ever i can just dumb fire lrm 20 and basically brute force the dps by simply shooting more missles at a lower tonnage ( 7 Tons for ATM 12 vs 5 tons for LRM 20).

the atm higher damage multiplier of 1.5 over its base 2 damage doesn't seem to make up for the fact it shoots a lot less missiles.
when you use multiple launcher it becomes even more apparent.
2x lurm 20 = 40 missiles
2x atm 12 is only 24 missiles.

and if you move into the lrm160 territory there is literally nothing that ATM's can bring that will match that

Sorry i still don't see the point in using ATMS over Lurms
plus atms don't get benefits from tag or narc because they supposedly have build in artemis

Edited by Catnium, 28 April 2019 - 12:56 PM.

#5 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:51 PM

View PostCatnium, on 28 April 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

yes i realised all that how ever i can just dumb fire lrm 20 and basically brute force the dps by simply shooting more missles at a lower tonnage ( 7 Tons for atm 12 vs 5 tons for LRM 20) the atm higher damage multiplier of 1.5 over its base 2 damage doesn't seem to make up for the fact it shoots a lot less missiles. at least it dint in my test runs.

LRM80 - 80 damage
ATM48 - 144 damnage

#6 Catnium

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:12 PM

True but that also weighs 8 tons more and doesn't get stacking accuracy bonuses.

Also what's the crit chance on atms ?
coz i see A significant value in shooting 80 missiles and rolling 80x on the crit chance vs 48 missiles and 48 rolls on the crit chance.
let me put it this way Lurms seem to net more components destroyed per match than all my atm runs did.

Edited by Catnium, 28 April 2019 - 01:30 PM.

#7 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 April 2019 - 03:09 PM

View Postkapusta11, on 28 April 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

LRM80 - 80 damage
ATM48 - 144 damnage

Yeah seemed rather straightforward to me.

#8 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 03:25 PM

From my experience with the rare exception of coordinated NARC+LRM gameplay (which is only really a thing in group/FP), LRMs are worthless in dealing damage to targets. Its not that their DPS is that bad, but when you consider how easy it is to nullify the damage (cover AMS, ECM, ect), and that even if you cant nullify it the damage spreads everywhere allowing you to facetank LRM boats and still beat them headon in any heavy or assault with a half decenet build (dakka, vomit, ect).

ATMs are still extremely situational, but at least have very high burst damage and very high DPS provided you brought some heatsinks with the build. Ive found the ATM-48s to be way more situational to be worth it but between 24 and 36 tubes works very well especially on a fast mover with JJs (vapin eagle, huntsman, and a couple heavys too). A ATM-36 still goes above 100 damage so its far from wimpy, and unlike the 144 damage troll, it doesnt waste an assault that is better off running something less mobility dependent.

I still feel that missiles in the game are trash for multiple reasons, but at last ATMs are useful in the correct situations and are used somewhat at higher levels of play. I dont think ive seen a sinle LRM boat these days do crazy good in any gammemode. Its just so ineffective damage while ATMs at least spit out so much ram alfa strike to overpower the inefficiency of being spread all over.

#9 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 April 2019 - 05:57 PM

View Postpanzer1b, on 28 April 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

From my experience with the rare exception of coordinated NARC+LRM gameplay (which is only really a thing in group/FP), LRMs are worthless in dealing damage to targets. Its not that their DPS is that bad, but when you consider how easy it is to nullify the damage (cover AMS, ECM, ect), and that even if you cant nullify it the damage spreads everywhere allowing you to facetank LRM boats and still beat them headon in any heavy or assault with a half decenet build (dakka, vomit, ect).

Except that isn't the case anymore. You try facetank a LRM50A+ Alpha that has LoS on you... You're going to be cored CT instantly. They are brutal now with LoS. Not as bad as ATMs which are tighter but LRMs are doing that out longer ranges / more heat efficient.

Pretty crazy actually in my fooling around with them.

#10 BackShot

• PipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:18 PM

easy, this is a gameplay choice.

If you wanna scratch their paint, go for LRMs

If you want to litterally destroy mechs in a few volley, go for ATMs.

No, the real question is, now that ATMs are just overpowered lrms, why would anyone use lrms ?

#11 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 08:46 PM

Now that ATM have more health its becoming a more used weapon on the field before you could just shoot them down with a standard AMS system.

Still next to worthless system but more people are using them.

#12 BackShot

• PipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 09:55 PM

View PostCorbon Zackery, on 28 April 2019 - 08:46 PM, said:

Now that ATM have more health its becoming a more used weapon on the field before you could just shoot them down with a standard AMS system.

Still next to worthless system but more people are using them.

Some posters really dont have a clue.

Edited by BackShot, 28 April 2019 - 10:12 PM.

#13 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 10:21 PM

View PostBackShot, on 28 April 2019 - 07:18 PM, said:

No, the real question is, now that ATMs are just overpowered lrms, why would anyone use lrms ?

Because Vapor Eagle isn't for CB yet :D

#14 BackShot

• PipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 10:26 PM

no need the Vapor eagle, a huntsman, or basically anything that can load 2Xatm12 or 3Xatm9 will do the trick. But yeah this is definitely even more OP with JJs and mobility.

#15 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 28 April 2019 - 10:38 PM

View PostCatnium, on 28 April 2019 - 12:15 PM, said:

So like now that Lurms are essentially ATMs
What's the point of ATMS now ?

Someone splain this to me coz i dont get it .

Honestly, I am seriously questioning the role of LRMs Vs ATMs..

The only major difference, other than damage, is that LRMs are still somewhat indirect, but since this mode of usage is absurdly and unjustly difficult to use now.. I don't see the point anymore..

The two weapons systems are too similar now.. with ATMs being clearly superior: They have greater base range (1100 for ATM Vs 900 for LRMs), greater base damage (up to 24 Vs 20), and higher missile health and velocity.

Both can go over low obstacles. Both are only effective in short to medium range. (which is speaking volumes about how low LRMs have fallen). Both must be used mostly in direct fire (cose' IDF is nerfed to frustration).

So yeah..

I don't understand why they made LRMs into a worse version of ATMs.. But every time I play a LRM boat now, the LRMs feel more and more redundant.. And when I play ATMs.. I need to invest a lot less skill (and tonnage) to do well..

It makes me sad..

#16 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 10:42 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 28 April 2019 - 03:09 PM, said:

Yeah seemed rather straightforward to me.

He deleted a comment showing that he thought LRM missiles did 2 damage each, which explains the entire thread

#17 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 12:02 PM

View PostBackShot, on 28 April 2019 - 10:26 PM, said:

No need for the Vapor Eagle; a huntsman, or basically anything that can load 2Xatm12 or 3Xatm9 will do the trick.
You say that, but only a Vapor Eagle is going to bring 3 ATM 12s and a light TAG with a good engine and some of the best Jump Jets in the game. There's no kill like overkill.

Can't wait for MWO's #1 Vaper to take Solo Queue by storm a handful of days from now.

#18 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:32 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 28 April 2019 - 10:38 PM, said:

Honestly, I am seriously questioning the role of LRMs Vs ATMs..

The only major difference, other than damage, is that LRMs are still somewhat indirect, but since this mode of usage is absurdly and unjustly difficult to use now.. I don't see the point anymore..

The two weapons systems are too similar now.. with ATMs being clearly superior: They have greater base range (1100 for ATM Vs 900 for LRMs), greater base damage (up to 24 Vs 20), and higher missile health and velocity.

Both can go over low obstacles. Both are only effective in short to medium range. (which is speaking volumes about how low LRMs have fallen). Both must be used mostly in direct fire (cose' IDF is nerfed to frustration).

So yeah..

I don't understand why they made LRMs into a worse version of ATMs.. But every time I play a LRM boat now, the LRMs feel more and more redundant.. And when I play ATMs.. I need to invest a lot less skill (and tonnage) to do well..

It makes me sad..

I like how you listed all the pros of atms over lurms and none if the cons. Atms are also hotter, have fewer missiles per salvo which makes them get utterly neutered by ams and also do lower damage at long range than lurms.

Stop pushing your silly private lurm agenda every chance you get.

#19 BackShot

• PipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:32 PM

View PostIlfi, on 29 April 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

You say that, but only a Vapor Eagle is going to bring 3 ATM 12s and a light TAG with a good engine and some of the best Jump Jets in the game. There's no kill like overkill.

Can't wait for MWO's #1 Vaper to take Solo Queue by storm a handful of days from now.

Iam not saying that the vapor eagle is not the best atm boat in the game, i am saying that anyone mech wich can load 3x atm9 or 2x atm 12 can dish crazy amount of damages.
Of course, it is better with jjs and mobility, and thats why the huntsman and the vapor eagle are the best at it.

#20 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:08 PM

View PostIlfi, on 29 April 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

The same way the torrent of VGLs kept up when it was initially released? I recall that dying down within a week, and I don't think the c-bill release will be much different. People will do stupid stuff like stacking ER PPCs or ATMs on it and overheat/get shot to pieces at mid range. I think the 2 might have more staying power with its UAC 2 spam, but in general most regular players are going to struggle with the enormous hit boxes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users