#341 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:57 PM

View PostWillard Phule, on 26 May 2019 - 12:55 PM, said:

Because that's the model they set a long time ago? Game breaking change right before a 3 day weekend where they all hide in a bunker without internet for the duration.

That's actually funny.. and makes sense at the same time. Isn't that what politicians do when they pass constitution breaking legislation?

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 26 May 2019 - 01:07 PM.

#342 245 Trioxin

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:27 PM

This is perhaps the third or fourth iteration of this message; I kept on deleting and restarting it.

All data was sourced from Jarl's List at https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/stats unless otherwise noted.

MWO is a niche game, let's be honest.

At Season One, it had approximately 42,500 players. As of the last Jarl's List update, there are now approximately 24,500 players. This results in a reduction of active players by 42.35%

During this same time-period, the new players have shrunk from around 12,500 at the end of Season One to only 2,500. This is a flat 80% reduction in new players.

I have been playing the game for not quite six months... and I am sorry to say that when MW5 comes out, I will not be playing further due to your current decisions regarding faction play.

This game appealed to me, because I've been a fan of the franchise since it made its first appearance. I've played all the video games from Crescent Hawk's Inception to the present day, and even a bit further as I purchased MW5 on pre-order. In fact, that's precisely how I came into the MWO fold; I figured that I'd spend on MW5 and give MWO a shot at the same time.

This game has a staggering learning curve. You must resign yourself to be someone else's ablative armor for quite a while, all the while bettering yourself. Shout-out to MS-T for teaching me a heck of a lot in a short period of time.
Because of them (please note, this was my OWN decision; I was NOT required to do this!) I put down several hundred more dollars to buy mechs and to convert XP into GXP so I could field a mech that wasn't sub-standard. Given my lack of experience, I did not want to double-ding my Unit mates by bringing in a sub-par mech paired with a sub-par pilot. I enjoy playing with my friends, and I had a hell of a good time doing it.

PGI has changed all that in one swell foop.
I'm not going to reiterate everything folks have said before, as their words carry far more weight than mine. All I can say is that the game is, when you look at the numbers.. dying and that PGI is actively adding chlorine to their own gene-pool by making the choices they have.

The matchmaking system for PubDrops is broken at best.
The choices regarding Faction Play seems to be the result of a large committee living in an echo-chamber, as it certainly bears little resemblance to what has been requested on the forums or the commentary from the PTR servers.

The game is demonstrably unfriendly to new players, and now PGI is making decisions that are cutting into the hard-core player base? I'm afraid I must agree with EthanIsAwesome: " The writing is on the wall and MWO is over in PGIs minds and alot of players minds now as well "

To the parent division MS, and to my Unit MS-T.. I apologize. I held out as long as I could, but these changes... if they're not fixed by the time MW5 comes out, I don't see myself continuing on.

But until then, I'll happily be your ablative armor (and sometimes target).

Who knows? Maybe they'll fix it. Maybe they'll find a way to grow the player base again. But... I'm not going to hold breath.

-- 245 Trioxin

#343 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:25 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 26 May 2019 - 08:43 AM, said:

The bucket problem is only if you try to fight 16 fronts simultaneously. What we have now needs to be adapted and changed. I don't see why there is any need for human scripted events at all. Its silly and a waste of resources. If a group of Nova Cats shows up in NA primetime then make that group of Nova Cats(and allies) eligible for a battle against Smoke Jags. If five minutes later a group of Wolves shows up associate that 12 v 12 with FRR or something similar. There is no need to have two days of one conflict or 24 hours of one game mode. Variety is the spice of life.

Keep the alliance system and give each front its own progress bar. That's all that is required. Remove PGI created events and lore, they are unneeded. The choice of planet should be from loyalists voting at a war council and lore supplies itself. Kentares and Turtle Bay don't need PGI invented fluff it already exists and would be broadcast by grognards.

You know, I reckon if we....
1. Took Quick Play and copy pasted as a new FP.
2. Merged solo and group into a single queue.
3. Limited teams to a single faction.
4. Had the wins tally up on the factions according to the team that wins.
.... We would nail several issues.
1. Single queue system that can use the match maker.
2. Merge player base to improve active numbers.
3. Everyone gets to represent their faction so loyalists are not left out.
4. Utilize the story campaign based on faction wins while maintaining variety of missions.

If we kept the drop deck selection as an 'after the map/mission vote' function add in siege and scout missions, have we lost anything?
The battles we fight simply represent the endless war and skirmishes between each faction.
When an event (story campaign) exists between two factions, then when those two factions are matched up there could be some special rules like they can only pick from certain maps (give the planet some sense of being) and missions because there is a specific goal.
In the mean time, defending against any enemy challenges are just as important and keep the whole thing moving along.

#344 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:36 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 26 May 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

That's actually funny.. and makes sense at the same time. Isn't that what politicians do when they pass constitution breaking legislation?

Actually, now that you mention it....

#345 Thornhold

• PipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:41 PM

OK, maybe making the Faction play more casual makes sence to drag QP players into FP, I don't know. But the really annoying thing is that I cannot earn my Steiner LPs in any FP match I want. Now I have to wait for the appropriate conflioct Posted Image
I do not need any FRR loalty points nor Wolf nor Smoke Jaguar. Nova cat LP's neither. Why didn't you make an opportunity for a long-time loalist to participate any conflict but to earn his faction's LPs? That's stupid

Edited by Thornhold, 26 May 2019 - 08:42 PM.

#346 stoolsoftener

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:50 PM

-Spectre, thanks for doing a quick analysis of the time to max out a Faction in, well, Faction. I appreciate it. If we assume 1000lp/game and i need around 1,000,000 LP to hit level 20 in Kurita, that works out to be 1000 faction games. The average Faction game will probably be around 20 minutes which means 20,000 minutes, divided by 60 = 333.33 hours of Faction play. Steam says I have 2585 hours of game play over the last 2.5 years. Which, counts my idle hours also so cut that in half. lets go with 1250 hours active. This means that I would have maxed out 4 houses if I played every second of my entire MWO career over the last 2.5 YEARS. Which means I would only be around a third of the way. That means that it would take me 7.5 YEARS of playing nothing BUT faction to get all the factions maxed. also that would be 4,662 Continuous Faction play hours. Look I am not asking PGI to just hand players ranks. but the math on the time to max a faction is very, very far off of realistic. I would propose cut the time to max down to a third of that, 100 faction hours gets you a faction. 1400 faction hours to max them all. Just my two cents but would love to see Paul address this.

#347 -Spectre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:14 PM

View Poststoolsoftener, on 26 May 2019 - 10:50 PM, said:

-Spectre, thanks for doing a quick analysis of the time to max out a Faction in, well, Faction. I appreciate it. If we assume 1000lp/game and i need around 1,000,000 LP to hit level 20 in Kurita, that works out to be 1000 faction games. The average Faction game will probably be around 20 minutes which means 20,000 minutes, divided by 60 = 333.33 hours of Faction play. Steam says I have 2585 hours of game play over the last 2.5 years. Which, counts my idle hours also so cut that in half. lets go with 1250 hours active. This means that I would have maxed out 4 houses if I played every second of my entire MWO career over the last 2.5 YEARS. Which means I would only be around a third of the way. That means that it would take me 7.5 YEARS of playing nothing BUT faction to get all the factions maxed. also that would be 4,662 Continuous Faction play hours. Look I am not asking PGI to just hand players ranks. but the math on the time to max a faction is very, very far off of realistic. I would propose cut the time to max down to a third of that, 100 faction hours gets you a faction. 1400 faction hours to max them all. Just my two cents but would love to see Paul address this.

You seem to be assuming that the idea is to max out the ranks on all factions. That is simply not the idea. The faction ranks are for loyalists, and loyalists don't skip around. The idea is to max out one and wear that proudly. But even if the idea was to farm all of them, is it not good that it takes a long time? That means you will never run out of things to do.

#348 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:46 PM

Thanks, Paul
Posted Image

#349 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 27 May 2019 - 06:15 PM

View Post-Spectre, on 27 May 2019 - 03:14 PM, said:

You seem to be assuming that the idea is to max out the ranks on all factions. That is simply not the idea. The faction ranks are for loyalists, and loyalists don't skip around. The idea is to max out one and wear that proudly. But even if the idea was to farm all of them, is it not good that it takes a long time? That means you will never run out of things to do.

I think they should increase the level of rewards so they never really end.. also prizes shouldn't be more focused toward the earlier levels but rather spaced out evenly.. this eliminates the incentive to jump around and can actually be a true loyalist without worrying about missing out on any goodies. I dunno.. does that make sense?

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 27 May 2019 - 06:17 PM.

#350 Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 364 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:17 PM

Logged in today. Saw the queues and just domination as a mode in FP. Considered playing quickplay cause there's an event. Logged off.

I read Paul's other posts and having to wait till the June patch or later is sadly unacceptable. From what I understand, Paul is still unrelenting on letting people switch factions on the fly to balance. Even if faction choice is locked into just ONE phase, that means that 1) if I accidentally sign up for a faction that the people I want to play with hasn't then I am locked out to pug for the phase and 2) if the population for one faction changes because a bunch of people in the same timezone and same faction log off, then the other side is stuck waiting for games because of an unbalanced queue.

I used to be able to switch to the faction with the lower queue and get an instamatch. More fun for me, and more fun for everyone else because we got to actually play the game.

This patch has literally been game breaking for me. Guess I'll log back in a month and see if anything has changed for the better. Surprise me PGI.

Edited by Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-, 27 May 2019 - 10:19 PM.

#351 Uncleclint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 200 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:58 AM

Just 2 Questions:

1) When´s the rollback to the old system coming?

2) Next time someone of your Dev team comes up with a nice idea about how to "improve" this or that gamemode, could you please please please just run away from that guy as fast and far as you can??? Pretty please? Posted Image

#352 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:27 AM

View PostUncleclint, on 28 May 2019 - 08:58 AM, said:

Just 2 Questions:

1) When´s the rollback to the old system coming?

2) Next time someone of your Dev team comes up with a nice idea about how to "improve" this or that gamemode, could you please please please just run away from that guy as fast and far as you can??? Pretty please? Posted Image

They cant roll back, Russ stated there was too much changed to revert to older code. They will have to change it step by step moving forward.

#353 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:11 AM

View PostTelemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-, on 27 May 2019 - 10:17 PM, said:

Surprise me PGI.

.. careful with that. ..
;)

#354 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:47 AM

Please whatever it takes, have the meetings and fill out the paperwork necessary to change the value for lobby countdown timer from 60 seconds to 120 seconds.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 28 May 2019 - 01:27 PM.

#355 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 01:08 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 28 May 2019 - 11:47 AM, said:

Please whatever it takes, have the meetings and fill out the paperwork necessary to change the value for lobby countdown timer from 60 seconds to 120 seconds.

so easy to do, and yet simply impossible to get, for years.
kinda reminds me of permit a38, from asterix conquers rome:

"a simple, administrative formality" Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 28 May 2019 - 01:09 PM.

#356 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 28 May 2019 - 01:35 PM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 28 May 2019 - 01:08 PM, said:

so easy to do, and yet simply impossible to get, for years.
kinda reminds me of permit a38, from asterix conquers rome:

"a simple, administrative formality" Posted Image

Dude, I'm just sick of hearing the same complaints from everyone, (even when it comes out of my own mouth), for years now. I just don't get it, I honestly don't. With such a passionate core player base that will put up with almost anything, this company should be rolling in dough but they just don't listen.. they don't know how to handle this franchise.. instead of theory crafting they should get down into the trenches and play their own game with the rest of us; if they actually worked to achieve at least TIER 1 from TIER 5, only then would they start to know what this game needs.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 28 May 2019 - 01:44 PM.

#357 Paul Meyers DEST

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 539 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:43 PM

I screwed again a complete drop yesterday cause of the 60 seconds of doom

#358 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 May 2019 - 12:12 AM

View PostPaul Meyers DEST, on 28 May 2019 - 11:43 PM, said:

AHA! :P

#359 Paul Meyers DEST

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 539 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:38 AM

View PostBishop Six, on 29 May 2019 - 12:12 AM, said:

AHA! Posted Image

Yes it was the drop deck Posted Image. Believe me. Really. Please. I beg you. Well and my below average skill to get close with UAC20 BloodAsps Posted Image on alpine

Edited by Paul Meyers DEST, 29 May 2019 - 01:39 AM.

#360 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:30 PM

View PostPaul Meyers DEST, on 28 May 2019 - 11:43 PM, said:

You done been pgi'd

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users