Cyclops And Mad Cat - Which Variant To Buy?

25 replies to this topic

#1 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:12 PM

I read long ago that the Sleipnir is the one to get and the Mad Cat IIB for the dakka. Are they the only two viable variants?

#2 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:44 PM

They're both good mechs, get both Posted Image . If you can only get one, it's a tough choice, imo the Sleipnir edges out the Mad Cat, but only by a small margin, it's slower but the Mad Cat's arms are pretty easy to destroy and experienced players will aim there first.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#3 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:55 PM

I want to get both. I have a lot of MC thanks to the MW5 pre-order. Cyclops is a give. So too, the Mad Cat IIB for the dakka. But I was wondering if there are any other variants worth purchasing. Like the ECM Cyclops perhaps?

#4 MrMadguy

• 2,193 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:53 PM

I don't have Cyclops and I have MKII. At some point I wanted to buy max missile variant of Cyclops just for lulz and then other variants just for collection. But IS Assault? Not viable at all. XL ST one-shot mechanic is still here, so no. And I have almost all MKII variants and they're all viable. I have Gauss boat, UAC boat, laser vomit, AC+HLas, balanced.

Edited by MrMadguy, 21 May 2019 - 09:57 PM.

#5 Kanil

• 1,067 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:01 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 21 May 2019 - 09:53 PM, said:

But IS Assault? Not viable at all. XL ST one-shot mechanic is still here, so no.

Don't use an XL then? LFEs exist, and standards do too. Yeah, they're not CXL, but that's not enough to disqualify half of an entire weight class.

Anyway, the Sleipnir is superb, one of the best heroes around. The MCII-B is also excellent. The Deathstrike is a very good gaussvomit platform, although that seems less prevalent than it used to be. The CP-10-Q running splat is alright, but there are better 'mechs.

Some of the others might be useful, but I feel those are probably the most capable.

#6 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:09 PM

While it doesn't have the pure dakka power of the MCII-B, the Deathstrike is a solid mech that mixes big ballistics with energy weapons. Being a hero mech it also includes the 30% c-bill buff to help on that front.

#7 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:49 PM

Sleipnir, Cyclops 10-Q Splatbuild, Cyclops 11-A with RACs and big MRM, Madcat MKII-B with Dakka, Deathstrike are all fine builds in my opinion.

#8 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:53 PM

Cool. I'll check them out.

#9 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:18 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 21 May 2019 - 09:53 PM, said:

I don't have Cyclops and I have MKII. At some point I wanted to buy max missile variant of Cyclops just for lulz and then other variants just for collection. But IS Assault? Not viable at all. XL ST one-shot mechanic is still here, so no.

Maybe you should try playing them and then comment are they viable or not.

#10 MrMadguy

• 2,193 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:18 PM

View PostKanil, on 21 May 2019 - 10:01 PM, said:

Don't use an XL then? LFEs exist, and standards do too. Yeah, they're not CXL, but that's not enough to disqualify half of an entire weight class.

Anyway, the Sleipnir is superb, one of the best heroes around. The MCII-B is also excellent. The Deathstrike is a very good gaussvomit platform, although that seems less prevalent than it used to be. The CP-10-Q running splat is alright, but there are better 'mechs.

Some of the others might be useful, but I feel those are probably the most capable.

I've said it many times already. STD/LFE vs XL choice would be viable, if fixed CXL engine choices wouldn't be optimal, so ability to tune IS builds would be much bigger advantage vs Clan "Lego" 'Mechs. I.e. if "tuned" 'Mech with STD/LFE would be at least = untuned Clan 'Mech. Yeah, for some 'Mechs they aren't, so they limit your Clan builds. For example Linebaker has to be armored Medium due to this reason. But for majority the are. Especially for Assaults, where bigger engines are good thing anyway. And therefore putting STD/LFE engine into your IS 'Mech - is straight nerf vs clan 'Mechs. And ST one-shot death is too big deal. If it would happen, when structure is destroyed, then may be it wouldn't so big deal, as when you lose ST, you usually very close to dying anyway. But when your armor goes away and even very first tiny touch one shots you due to engine crit hit, as engine is usually one of the biggest things in ST? No way. This shouldn't happen. This is real reason, why my performance and stats were so terrible, when I was playing IS Assaults, such as Highlander, Awesome, etc. I was dying way too early during my matches.

Edited by MrMadguy, 21 May 2019 - 11:31 PM.

#11 Kanil

• 1,067 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:37 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 21 May 2019 - 11:18 PM, said:

If it would happen, when structure is destroyed, then may be it wouldn't so big deal, as when you lose ST, you usually very close to dying anyway. But when your armor goes away and even very first tiny touch one shots you due to engine crit hit, as engine is usually one of the biggest things in ST?

You do realize that engine destruction is linked to torso destruction, and not critical hits, right? The "wouldn't so big deal" you describe is exactly how the game currently works.

This is real reason, why my performance and stats were so terrible, when I was playing IS Assaults, such as Highlander, Awesome, etc. I was dying way too early during my matches.

I think the real reason your stats were so terrible is because you were using an Awesome or Highlander. There are competitive IS assault 'mechs out there, and CXL doesn't suddenly make the LBX Kodiak comparable to the friggin' Sleipnir. Also HGauss exist, they're IS only, they require STD engines, and they're good.

#12 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:55 AM

I had a look at the Deathstrike and MC IIB and it's as if PGI knew what the players would build and decided to give it the quirks that nobody would make use of Posted Image

The Deathstrike has UAC Jam Chance of -20% but using 2 UAC 10s with big energy weapons would make it very hot. I mean, dual UAC10s + 2 ERPPC is do-able but negating the heat build up with 21 DHS is still going to be tricky, no? 6 ML and 2 Guass is the go-to build for it, I guess. The IIB has UAC20 cooldown. But even with dual UAC 20 firing in alternate fire groups, it wouldn't perform well I think.

Also, the Sleipnir is a good Dual Gauss + 4 ERML machine, eh?

#13 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:00 AM

One's CBill, the other is MC only. Both are dakka platforms.

If you have the MC i'd suggest the Seipnir because it's 50% off right now. CB is easy enough to farm.

#14 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:02 AM

dual heavy gauss, 4 lb10s or 4 uac5s is what most players have settled with on the sleipnir. I have theorycrafted a dual LB20, 3 MPL build, but it's untested.

#15 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:08 AM

The aforementioned builds requires a STD engine, right? That'd mean running at Dire Wolf speed. Not that I mind. I'm currently in the process of leveling up the UV, among other mechs but.... Is the torso and turning speed better on the Sleipnir? I mean, it is, obviously (what else is worse than the Dire and Kodiak) but overall, is what I mean.

#16 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:13 AM

Cyclops has decent mobility values across all it's variants. And yes, the heavy hitters (hgauss, 4lb10, 2lb20) require STD engines. With a STD300 the cyclops "runs" 54Kph without tweak. It's still regarded as very viable.

#17 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:20 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 22 May 2019 - 01:08 AM, said:

The aforementioned builds requires a STD engine, right? That'd mean running at Dire Wolf speed. Not that I mind. I'm currently in the process of leveling up the UV, among other mechs but.... Is the torso and turning speed better on the Sleipnir? I mean, it is, obviously (what else is worse than the Dire and Kodiak) but overall, is what I mean.

4x UAC5 actually uses LFE, which gives it a decent 56 kph on a decent hitbox. WAAAAY better than king crab unfortunately.

#18 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:51 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 22 May 2019 - 01:08 AM, said:

The difference is general mobility compared to absolute speed. The cyclops can accel/decelerate, turn and torso twist better than even most heavies, and with the ability to turn and change direction fast, you find it much easier to keep up than with a direwhale or ani, where you can hit the turn key, go make your self a cup of coffee while it finishes turning around. I think I compared it to the Mauler once, and found it was at least 50% better in all mobility stats, and literally twice as good for acceleration.

I actually did the non-optimal thing of investing in the speed skill tree on top of it, just because it feels so glorious having that much responsiveness in an assault. It’s a nice feeling.

Edited by Maddermax, 22 May 2019 - 01:53 AM.

#19 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:00 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 22 May 2019 - 01:02 AM, said:

dual heavy gauss, 4 lb10s or 4 uac5s is what most players have settled with on the sleipnir. I have theorycrafted a dual LB20, 3 MPL build, but it's untested.

Personally I would not trade that (sustained) firepower / tighter spread of quad LB10-X to ~5kph extra speed

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 22 May 2019 - 01:13 AM, said:

Cyclops has decent mobility values across all it's variants.

Only two Chargers variants, Gargoyle, Executioner, Highlander and Zeus got better agility than all Cyclops so I would say it's more than decent. (29 total assault mech chassis in game)

#20 HenryFA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 192 posts
  • LocationHunting down LRM assaults

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:43 AM

for the deathstrike

6erml+2 gauss/ 2UAC10 are all viable

just dont go for stupid build like 6mpl+2 mg and you will be fine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users