Mwo 2

70 replies to this topic

#21 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:19 PM

I'd gladly throw away all the money I've spent on this game, every 'mech I own, and anything else down to my last C-Bill. We can go back to the days where there were only 8 'mechs, and everyone was using stock trial 'mechs (which were hot as balls) and everything else involved with going back to the beta days... in exchange for getting a game deeper than a 12v12 one life skirmish on a random map.

If PGI wants to completely rethink the basic mode of the game, and come up with something deeper, then bring on MWO2. If it's just gonna be more QP skirmish, then I'll pass.

#22 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:20 PM

View PostThe Mayor of Smuttington, on 02 June 2019 - 12:53 PM, said:

Destiny LUL

Destiny is does not have the same business model as MWO. Destiny is a pay2play, subscription-less squad based online shooter with micro-transactions. MWO is a free2play arena shooter with an army of units to use supported by multiple optional purchase avenues.

MWO's most direct brethren are games like the "World of" series and WT. It's more distantly related to games like LoL. What largely separated it from those games was it's rapid fire MechPack monetization, while most in it's "class" usually bank on infrequent but large purchases (Currency bundles or "hero" units) or more frequent but smaller purchases (Cosmetics).

#23 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:20 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 02 June 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

MW5 looks like it's going to be awesome. MWO carries the baggage of a decade of decisions, both good and bad. If PGI wants to make MWO 2 I'd have a shot at it.

if i thought they were capable of learning from their mistakes. they can start by not promising the moon out the gate. they way over promised on fp. their plan would have worked out great if we had another zero or two at the end of the population number. and making the mode hell for low to moderate skill unorganized players ensured the mode would never be a hit. the plan for fp was so overblown and unrealistic given the niche status of the battletech universe, no way in hell of filling up 13 buckets. i figure you might have been able to support four factions from the get go, and it could have been reduced to 2 if the population tanked. but the important thing is making fp fun for everyone and you want have to worry about the population tanking.

also not being so dependant on placeholders like qp which end up becoming the game. though i have a feeling that was only due to fp not having widespread appeal and ruining its reputation at every attempt to fix it. certainly don't plan to have other modes come into the game. or get rid of the modes all together, mechwarrior games are supposed to have missions, with every map having several sets of different objectives baked in, were talking complex scripted missions. and i certainly dont want mwo2 to be another arena shooter. make it a mission oriented mmo proper with persistent mega maps and where you dont stare at a spinney things all day and we can talk.

also the scope of transactions was rather narrow with mwo. you can buy mechs, bays to put them in, and not a lot else. and a bunch of vanity items you could live without in a mechwarrior game. they could have been selling weapon varients/experimental weapons, extra omnipods, dropships and a lot of other things. rest assured i wont buy any mechpacks until i know its not a failure.

#24 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:28 PM

Yes, MWO on Unreal Engine.

Stop all the excuses, you want our money? Work for it.

#MWOUnrealOrRiot

#25 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:48 PM

wasn't part of the point of MW5 to bring the assets over to Unreal engine, so that MWO could be migrated to Unreal engine without huge costs?

#26 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:13 PM

View PostImperialKnight, on 02 June 2019 - 06:48 PM, said:

wasn't part of the point of MW5 to bring the assets over to Unreal engine, so that MWO could be migrated to Unreal engine without huge costs?

thats mostly wishful thinking on our part unfortunately. but basing mwo2 on parts of mw5 is probably the cheapest way to go about it. much stuff has already been ported over.

Edited by LordNothing, 02 June 2019 - 07:15 PM.

#27 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:31 PM

"In the recent Dev Update Russ said that MWO doesn't make enough money to support PGI. "

By the way...

A year ago I saw on many Hompepages Advertisment for World of tanks and other online games. Sometimes it was really anoing to see this advertisment. But.....
I asked myself why is pgi not making more advertisment for MWO Posted Image ?? If you want to sell something you often have to make an advertisment.

Edited by Snowhawk, 02 June 2019 - 08:34 PM.

#28 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:48 PM

It wouldve made way more sense to port MWO over to unreal first as MWO2. Then used MWO2 assets to rapidly develop MW5.

Now theyre stuck with a failing flagship game and it sounds like iffy sales on the new game.

And im not sure why Russ is telling people MWO doesnt pay the bills anymore. Putting doubt as to the future of the game into the minds of your customers is the last thing you should be doing if you want to keep sales up. Consumer confidence has been one of PGI's biggest problems all along and they continually make it worse. Theyre just hastening their own demise.

Edited by Khobai, 02 June 2019 - 08:54 PM.

#29 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:59 PM

The Battletech universe is so rich.
How's about TWO: Tank Warrior Online.
Posted Image
Or...... Aeroverse!
Posted Image

Edited by Novakaine, 02 June 2019 - 09:00 PM.

#30 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:10 PM

View PostSnowhawk, on 02 June 2019 - 08:31 PM, said:

I asked myself why is pgi not making more advertisment for MWO Posted Image ?? If you want to sell something you often have to make an advertisment.

I don't like ads, but at this point it would have been a good idea.

That being said, with how they handled their resources by just pushing it at MW5 with as you said, iffy sales, then I don't think it's much help other than prolonging the inevitable.

#31 Phoolan Devi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fenrik
  • Fenrik
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:03 AM

Funny thing what selective reading sometimes produces!

All what Russ said was, that MW:O isn't generating enough money to support a company that size. Now, if PGI would only do MW:O, it wouldn't be this size. PGI is also working on MW5, which, according to Russ, did exceptionally well on pre-sales.

#32 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:55 AM

An engine change is more likely then a sequel.

Btw, what makes anyone think that a sequel would be better?

#33 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:07 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 03 June 2019 - 01:55 AM, said:

An engine change is more likely then a sequel.

Btw, what makes anyone think that a sequel would be better?

I suppose the problem with an engine change is that it doesn't have the same marketing appeal as a new game, and they'd need a new population to motivate such a big investment.

I suppose they could make an engine update and market it as a new game.

In either case MWO funded MW5, now it's up to MW5 to potentially fund MWO2.

That is if PGI is even interested in making a second iteration of MWO, what if they'd rather use the revenue from (if successful) MW5 to make a completely new game of license another IP? I could understand if they're sick of working with battletech stuff.

#34 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:51 AM

MWO2 should ditch the Battletech rules and make up something new better tailored to an action game. Maybe give us quasi- realistic physics and more detailed resources management (energy, heat, ecm, ...).

Edited by ShiverMeRivets, 03 June 2019 - 09:51 AM.

#35 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 04:51 AM

They could introduce PVE to MWO. I know, I know, MW5 soon, but we have all the mechs and guns and this game offers what MW5 will not, being that it will be limited to 3025 era initially.

I would love to romp around in my Warhawk, void of the BS of PVP. Many of us have tons of mechs that would be fun to drive in Armored Warfare-esque PVE missions. It wouldnt be hard, just add simple objectives, "Destroy this Generator", destroy that airfield, capture this control point, done. Throw in AI mechs and voila. AW PVE is enjoyable enough. I will continue to maintain this game would be perfect for a similar system.

And is it bad that I played my first PVP game in like 5-6 years just now and despite being in a Warhawk P, which I hear is a pretty trash tier mech, as well as being tired from driving all night for my job, I still managed 2 kills, however much damage(I honestly didnt look), and ended with a match score of 598(next closest on my team was high 200 - low 300 something. Highest scoring enemy guy was 680, with 200-300s below him)...this is why I stopped PVPing in the first place, so much effort on my part, but cant buy a win. Guess its time to just wait for MW5, coop PVE will be awesome. I had a Mech itch and I had to scratch it, I miss my ol' Warhawk, shes awesome, even if the game shes in isnt as much.

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 06 June 2019 - 04:55 AM.

#36 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:58 AM

why MWO 2? what is worth a 2? the only reason to make an MMO get a new number is entirely deep technical changes. otherwise everything else could be adjusted.

#37 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:54 AM

There won't be a MWO2, but there could eventually be a MW5 multiplayer. If PGI has the appetite for it. I feel after 7 years of bickering and torches and pitchforks, they do not. It's safer and easier to make a single player game. They can expand on that and make more campaigns.

#38 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:43 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 03 June 2019 - 02:07 AM, said:

I suppose the problem with an engine change is that it doesn't have the same marketing appeal as a new game, and they'd need a new population to motivate such a big investment.

I suppose they could make an engine update and market it as a new game.

In either case MWO funded MW5, now it's up to MW5 to potentially fund MWO2.

That is if PGI is even interested in making a second iteration of MWO, what if they'd rather use the revenue from (if successful) MW5 to make a completely new game of license another IP? I could understand if they're sick of working with battletech stuff.

An engine change could open up many of the features in Mechwarrior 5 to MWo.

There are several potential improvements for MWo that can be ported over from MW5 like destructable terrain,vehicle AI,dynamic map generation plenty to merit a slight rebranding as Mechwarrior 1.5 at least :P

If it's cheap enough to there is little to lose from doing it.

#39 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:30 AM

View PostLykaon, on 06 June 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

An engine change could open up many of the features in Mechwarrior 5 to MWo.

There are several potential improvements for MWo that can be ported over from MW5 like destructable terrain,vehicle AI,dynamic map generation plenty to merit a slight rebranding as Mechwarrior 1.5 at least Posted Image

If it's cheap enough to there is little to lose from doing it.

thats like you will change a Mack truck engine in a Corvet..very different engines ,and PGI has no Peoples with great Cryengine Experience . most gone 2014/15 after the Transverse Disaster

#40 GamerPro4000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationSian

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:46 AM

I hate game companies that make iterations because I end up having whole bunch games that I can't really play anymore. A good example is how barely any one plays Ubisoft's Division 1 when Division 2 came out. I prefer the game's lifespan lasts almost forever like war frame. War frame is 6 years old already and the game has improved alot compared to its launch due to the devs releasing new content and refining the games mechanics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users