Hitbox

49 replies to this topic

#1 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:00 AM

Greetings, MechWarriors. This is a new thread for presenting 'Mech hitboxes since the initial thread hit an image limit within a single post. So I've separated IS and Clan 'Mechs.

This initial post is administrative and will be updated as new images are posted.

Methodology: The testing 'Mech is a Raven with 2 small lasers. Then in a private lobby I use the Raven's laser to map the test 'Mech's hitboxes, trying to identify the transition areas. The intent is not to be inch-by-inch perfect, but to assist pilots by showing where NOT to aim if they do not want to spread their damage. Mech hitboxes are mapped and posted after they are available for MC.

New images are posted in the respective IS or Clan post and a consolidated PDF is linked below.

PDF
Inner Sphere (13 MB): GoogleDrive
Clan (6 MB): GoogleDrive

Nov-2018: Here is a video of how I do hitbox mapping on the Blood Asp (BAS).

Color legend:
Yellow = cockpit
Green = Arms
Red = Legs
Orange = front Side Torso
Blue = back Side Torso
Purple = Center Torso

Updates
Spoiler

Edited by Tamerlin, 23 January 2024 - 08:34 PM.

#2 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:10 AM

Inner Sphere Mechs

Inner Sphere Lights
Spoiler

Inner Sphere Mediums
Spoiler

Inner Sphere Heavies
Spoiler

Inner Sphere Assaults
Spoiler

Edited by Tamerlin, 28 March 2023 - 09:06 PM.

#3 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:14 AM

Clan Mechs

Clan Lights
Spoiler

Clan Mediums
Spoiler

Clan Heavies
Spoiler

Clan Assaults
Spoiler

Edited by Tamerlin, 23 January 2024 - 08:17 PM.

#4 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:02 PM

Added the Marauder II. Hold onto your neurohelmets, it's a bit wacky.

Let's start with the straight-forward stuff. I mounted two flamers onto a MAD-4A ST to confirm that the added modules to the 'Mech were hit-able. They are - however the first weapon mounted appears over the center of the 'Mech (above the cockpit) and has a CT hitbox. So an ST-mounted weapon give you a CT hitbox. Huh.

Like most fuselage 'Mechs, the MAD2 has "fire from front, hit rear" and "fire at rear, hit front" conditions. I test with a Raven, and the MAD2 is just taller. From the front I can hit the radiators that drop low from the rear ST. That is not to surprising.

However, from the rear things get fun. The ST mounted weapon is still front ST even from the rear. Not too unusual. However, the exhaust blocks next to the radiators have no hitbox. At all. You will fire thru them and hit whatever is behind them, depending on your angle. I hit arms, rear ST or front ST.

It gets stranger. The MAD2 has obvious rear wings. The "winglets" do not have a hitbox, which (again) is not unusual - many 'Mech have art-assets at the edge of the 'Mech that is not part of the hitbox. But the outer 1/3 of the wing may have a hitbox. Yes, I said "may".

I dropped four times to test the hitboxes on the MAD2. Two times the entire wing had hitboxes; two time the outer 1/3 did not have any hitbox - my center HUD told me the range was the wall beyond the wing. I could not determine what was going on, so I'll let PGI know and let them figure it out.

Spooky.

Edited by Tamerlin, 06 August 2019 - 07:06 PM.

#5 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:51 PM

Added Rifleman-IIC. It's one of the few 'Mechs where the Center Torso does not go to the bottom of the hips. Otherwise normal, even with the big sombrero.

#6 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:18 AM

Added Dervish. Pretty normal. From the rear there is a small slice of front ST, but not enough to change how you aim.

...and that's it - 106 'mech chassis hitbox mapped. Thank you so much for over 172 thousand views (sum of both threads) and almost 600 views of my hitbox mapping video. I am so very grateful for the support I've received over these five years.

It's been great, MechWarriors. I'll see you on the battlefield.

#7 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:11 PM

Today we passed 175,000 page views (when you combine this with the original hitbox thread).

I am overwhelmed with the support everyone has given these threads.

#8 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:18 PM

good work is always worth supporting

#9 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

Warning: totally unfair thread hijack.

I've created two videos that analyze the recent MechWarrior 5 Walk Through video.

MW5 Walk Through Analysis

MW5 Walk Through MechLab Deep Dive

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Edited by Tamerlin, 23 November 2019 - 03:56 PM.

#10 Rex Matador

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 235 posts
  • Locationah hah!

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:16 AM

Thanks very much for this work!

#11 Sunshinetrooper

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 03:05 PM

I just opened the PDF, it would be handy to have a legend for the colours.

#12 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 09:48 AM

View PostSunshinetrooper, on 08 December 2020 - 03:05 PM, said:

I just opened the PDF, it would be handy to have a legend for the colours.

Six years of hitbox mapping, 106 chassis, almost 200,000 views (combining original and this thread) and I get this fabulous, obvious comment. Sunshinetrooper, I owe you a Cool Shot at some future MechCon.

I added a second page to both PDFs that have links to each class, link to this thread, legend and add my name as credit.

Edited by Tamerlin, 16 December 2020 - 09:58 AM.

#13 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 05:51 PM

Seems we passed 200,000 page views (when you combine this with the original hitbox thread).

Thank you so much for the support everyone has given these threads. Maybe we'll have some new 'mechs soon.

#14 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 February 2021 - 12:36 PM

View PostTamerlin, on 12 February 2021 - 05:51 PM, said:

Seems we passed 200,000 page views (when you combine this with the original hitbox thread).

Thank you so much for the support everyone has given these threads. Maybe we'll have some new 'mechs soon.

Honestly, you should talk to Daeron about getting this info directly in the wiki.

#15 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 09:11 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 13 February 2021 - 12:36 PM, said:

Honestly, you should talk to Daeron about getting this info directly in the wiki.

Kind of ironic that you say that, as I wrote ~80% of the Wiki.

#16 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 February 2021 - 05:43 PM

View PostTamerlin, on 16 February 2021 - 09:11 PM, said:

Kind of ironic that you say that, as I wrote ~80% of the Wiki.

I know no one references it much, but thank you for that. I hope they update it and actually reference it so people know it exists and use it.

#17 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 09:21 PM

well, it is on the official "game" section https://mwomercs.com/game/user-guide
but it should have its own tab on the board for sure.
Thanks for your great effort Tam!

#18 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 11:44 AM

Stryker Pack Update
While I didn't expect the hitboxes in the Dragon and Thunderbolt to have changed, it's been a few years since I've hitbox mapped. So I dived in.

Thunderbolt - no change
Dragon - slight changes in front CT/ST boundaries. I put this down to me knowing more about hitbox mapping now than I did in 2014.

In addition, I was recently asked about the Griffin and Wolfhound. And here's where it got spooky...

Griffin. SirEpicPwner took this picture of the left side of the Griffin's rear CT:
Posted Image

When you hit that spot from directly rear, it's CT. When you hit it from an angle (like the image), it's ST, where the rest of the "back pack" on the Griffin is CT. But only the left side - on the right side it's all CT. I confirmed this on several Griffin variants.

My response to things like this is from this thread's original post:

The intent is not to be inch-by-inch perfect, but to assist pilots by showing where NOT to aim if they do not want to spread their damage.

With my Power-Point-Maintained hitbox maps, and lack of technical skill, I can't make 360-degree, VR, "Ghost in the Shell" level of detailed hitbox map images. I say this falls into that category.

However, that's not all. Below are the old and new Griffin image.
Old: Posted Image

New:Posted Image

Note that the hit boxes for the "Beer Keg" and "12 pack" on the right torso have changed from rear CT to rear ST. Then look at the Wolfhound:
Old: Posted Image

New: Posted Image

That's right, the "shoulder pads" have changed, but only for the Left Torso / Left Arm.

Now, I know I am crap. But I don't think I am so crap that I completely messed up such fundamental hitboxes when I originally mapped these 'Mechs in 2014 and 2016. So MWO edited these hitboxes without telling the community. I don't know if it was in 2016 or yesterday - but I did a quick glance at the Patch Notes and could not find anything in there saying there were changes.

I just can't see me going back and re-mapping 106 chassis. But if you find anything this egregious with my hitbox maps, please let me know. You can leave a post in this thread or contact me on the Aces Wild Discord.

Edited by Tamerlin, 03 May 2021 - 12:28 PM.

#19 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:35 PM

Wow. that Wolfhound looks like an "undocumented feature." I bet even PGI doesn't know about it.

#20 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 03 July 2021 - 06:28 AM

View PostTamerlin, on 03 May 2021 - 11:44 AM, said:

Stryker Pack Update

<<< snip >>>

But if you find anything this egregious with my hitbox maps, please let me know.

Hi there, Tamerlin... Thank you for all the effort which you put forth into these HitBox Maps on MWO that many people appreciate & reference, myself included. Please never stop, and upkeep these always! :D

That said, and not to nitpick, but just trying to help with reading comprehension (myself sadly included, unfortunately)... What exactly is a "DARGON" Mech in your roster of images? Did you really mean to put "DRAGON" in the label for that image, and just happened to randomly typo? :blink:

For quick reference to what I'm talking about right now...

Spoiler

...and I wish that I had a copy of an older version where it showed correctly, because I'm sure that looked right at some point in the past. :(

~D. V. "thinks they're seeing a typo in the image at this time about the 'Dragon' Mech information's label" Devnull

[One quick minor edit by the post's author for a stupid formatting error...]

Edited by D V Devnull, 03 July 2021 - 06:30 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users