57 replies to this topic

#1 RogueDK

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 67 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:28 AM

Solo kill challenge really brings out the worst in people because they all want to get that kill. scum-boating, blocking team makes so they cant shoot ect ect. Not to mention that solo kills with lights and mediums is a total crapshoot. You have to be so lucky to run into mechs that you have a chance against, who are on their own and not damaged in order to even consider them a target to get your challenge for that weight class complete. - Most damage done and / or killing blow challenge is ok, but the solo kill one is no fun at all and it makes the meta and toxic behavior even more prevalent.

Side note: Doing two separate challenges that give you the same exact color using different names is just dumb. No other way to put it. Now I have bloated color choices, Why??

#2 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:29 AM

The events are too easy!

Next week:

The events are too hard!

#3 LTC Kilgore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:33 AM

View PostRogueDK, on 13 July 2019 - 08:28 AM, said:

Solo kill challenge really brings out the worst in people because they all want to get that kill. scum-boating, blocking team makes so they cant shoot ect ect. Not to mention that solo kills with lights and mediums is a total crapshoot. You have to be so lucky to run into mechs that you have a chance against, who are on their own and not damaged in order to even consider them a target to get your challenge for that weight class complete. - Most damage done and / or killing blow challenge is ok, but the solo kill one is no fun at all and it makes the meta and toxic behavior even more prevalent.

Side note: Doing two separate challenges that give you the same exact color using different names is just dumb. No other way to put it. Now I have bloated color choices, Why??

the event doesn't cause poor teamplay, the players in solo queue are already that bad and selfish

#4 Vincent DIFrancesco

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 167 posts
  • LocationHiding behind a rock, waiting for the "rain" to stop.

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:28 AM

Light solos are a crapshoot? lol Play a Piranha and go for back shots.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:33 PM

just stop doing events and make games pay out a small amount of mc per match. free up those members of pgi so they can work on something of more substance, like another weapons pack.

#6 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:44 PM

The medium one was the only thing that held up my progress. I wasn't having bad games, just not getting the tick in the box for solo kills.

Not sure it brings out the worst in people. You need people doing KMD and killing blow. Closing out a kill they put most of the work into should be something to aim for, not criticised.

#7 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:27 PM

Meh. I'm not even going to try to get the Solo-Kills in a Light and Medium (already have Heavy and Assault) and save myself the headaches.

Impossible Challenges aren't so bad if you don't feel compelled to do them.

#8 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 05:03 PM

Yawn.

#9 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:06 PM

Wow. Just kill something,

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 16 July 2019 - 12:36 AM.
unconstructive

#10 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:16 PM

If you cannot manage 1 solo kill in each weight class in 4 days then you do NOT deserve that prize. Its really that simple.

#11 Faithsfall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 363 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:45 PM

While I struggle a bit in the light mech solo kill (I know me and lights really don't get on too well) I still managed it within the first day.

Personally I enjoy the challenge it makes me try in a class I know I'm not very good at and I hope this helps me to improve, but hey with todays society if it's not given on a silver platter with a pat on the head it's obviously everyone else's fault if it isn't possible on the first try.

#12 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:01 AM

View PostRogueDK, on 13 July 2019 - 08:28 AM, said:

Not to mention that solo kills with lights and mediums is a total crapshoot. You have to be so lucky to run into mechs that you have a chance against, who are on their own and not damaged in order to even consider them a target to get your challenge for that weight class complete.

That right there is the big problem. People playing the game to complete events and not playing during events to have fun.

Just play the game normally and not for the events. Your stats will be better and you'll eventually get a solo kill.

I tried getting solo kills for a few matches in my Grinner, Purifier, Shard and K9. I got a few killing blows but not solo kills until one match on Hibernal where there was a full-on NASCAR and I managed to get 2 solo kills on an Atlas and a Mad Cat with my K9. There. Challenge done. If I was trying to get only the challenge done, then I'd have missed out on the fun.

#13 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 02:17 AM

What? See for me, being able to be one of the if not the fastest mech on my 'team' is a huge advantage.

Scum-boating....Double what? Really you are assigning a moral judgement on playing effectively? I mean if I dust off my Oxide with it's four missile hard points to be a good person I should have a pair of lrm fives and a couple of srm fours? Really, that makes sense to you? There are even tons of mechs that come stock boating lasers or missiles and such.

As far as player behaviour, I see people all of the time hungry for a kill. I generally have more kmdd's than actual kill shots and the guy getting that kill shot on my kmdd isn't getting the solo, he's just hungry and getting a mech off the field. Sometimes I groan to myself a little, then I move on to the next target. It's really not that big of a deal and I am just happy if he doesn't shoot through me to get it.

Far as this event goes, I don't see what you are seeing/interpreting. The previous one I saw multiple, multiple instances of people suiciding to grind out the low bar score quick as they could. This time around bravo for PGI getting people to focus a target down until dead. That's promoting good practices.

The real trick though is really to just pick the weapon system you need to use and go out and try and pretty much play normally...unless your normal is willy nilly shooting everything. I didn't actually concentrate on getting a solo as they are just a natural thing you get along the way. I focused on what I always do, trying to win the match I am in.

#14 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:51 AM

Ach! The whining...
Just be aggressive and kill something. Snipers and peek-a-boo cowards don’t get solo kills.

#15 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:58 AM

The prize is one day of Premium Time.

Anyone going out of there way tor that is tripping.

#16 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:02 AM

solo-kills are the easiest part of these challenges, so.. just shoot somebody, ffs.

getting your team of rotatoes to win otoh, while they go out of their way to pull off stupid stuff each and every game.. that can be hard. Posted Image

now if only we had more than zero people playing solaris, this could be done way more easy, quickly, and with more fun - but people just wanna hide it out behind their teammates, I guess. too bad there's 24 of these with the same idea each match.. Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 14 July 2019 - 05:12 AM.

#17 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:59 AM

SOLARIS

#18 Frith

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:20 AM

Occasionally they'll put something in a challenge that I'm unable to complete, like the recent head shot, but I'm nearly always able to complete all the different challenge events. I may not be able to complete the solo kill in my light and medium mechs for this one because similar to someone else who commented, I don't play them as well as I play heavies and assaults. But I appreciate these challenges as an extra incentive to play mechs and weapons that I don't play very often.

The rewards for completing the challenges usually aren't so great that completion is a must-do. If I can't complete one, I shrug and press on. I play the game because I enjoy the play, not so much because I care about stats or completing every challenge. If you get hung up on the fact that you can't complete a challenge, you maybe should reconsider why you play.

#19 RogueDK

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 67 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:53 AM

I talked to a few people in game and they pretty much all told me that they either dont do the challenges at all or they did not know there was one.
Meanwhile in forums everybodys an expert that can do everything with their eyes closed.

This is the problem PGI is faced with: People that spend their time posting in forum, and people that actually play the game.
Unless you have something constructive to say on forum subjects, you should not even bother typing it in. Play the game and give us your informed opinion, or stop wasting everyones time with your meaningless white Knight or trolish posts. They get skimmed over anyway and dismissed for what they are.

Getting a solo kill with a damn medium or light can be really hard to pull off. You would all know that if you actually played the game.

PGI Please start listening to active players where most will be casual players like myself. They are your bread and butter and we deserve a say in how you manage your game. The challenges are fun and a good way to work towards something as your playing. Just try and think a bit about what you put into the challenges. If you want people to get X-amount of kills / assists, with a specific mech or weapon, then make sure you put in a trial mech that will people complete the challenge for full duration of the challenge.
Dont duplicate colors with different names and don't make solo kill challenges.

Thank you.

#20 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:07 AM

View PostRogueDK, on 14 July 2019 - 08:53 AM, said:

People that spend their time posting in forum, and people that actually play the game.

I can do both, the wait times are that long.

Unless you have something constructive to say on forum subjects, you should not even bother typing it in.

You must be new to the internet. I'll touch on this briefly; No.

Play the game and give us your informed opinion, or stop wasting everyones time with your meaningless white Knight or trolish posts.

Many of the active posters are active players.

Getting a solo kill with a damn medium or light can be really hard to pull off. You would all know that if you actually played the game.

You would know how easy it is if you concentrated on getting better.

PGI Please start listening to active players where most will be casual players like myself.

Continually catering to the lowest common denominator is one of the reasons the game is in this state.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users