Mechwarrior 5 Release Date & Epic Games Store Exclusivity

1380 replies to this topic

#961 PiratexCore

• PipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:35 AM

For some reason they only put this on the Discord and not anywhere else.
Posted Image
So if you put in for a refund from late Friday on, they're all currently piled up as they only started working on them again on Monday.

#962 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:41 AM

View PostPaladin IIC, on 29 July 2019 - 10:41 PM, said:

Those numbers don't match the lengthy matchmaking periods multiple people have been reporting during varying times of the day. Surely with so many players, matchmaking should be significantly shorter than it is, even with the weight distribution and tier system taken into account.

LOL...those numbers are REAL numbers of actual accounts that accumulate 10 or more matches in the month in the quick play queue. That they don't fit your preconceived notion on player numbers is NOT my problem. And your own stats indicate you HAVE NOT EVEN PLAYED 10 matches in any month in TWO YEARS. There's also no evidence of you playing Solaris, or Faction warfare ever in the time they've had searchable leaderboards.

https://leaderboard....h?u=paladin+IIC

#963 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:56 AM

View PostSerpentbane, on 30 July 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

WoW people, I get the nice to have it all in one launcher thing, but jeez... You are fighting for a Steam monopoly here. If it was a standalone launcher or could connect directly to any store for sales of keys I'd join the fight, but if we had more quality launchers or stores then the developers and customers would get better deals. Now Steam takes about 30% of the sales, and have no expenses advertising their products. In fact, they can charge extra for devs to place their products on user views. Don't you understand your behavior is the reason Epic need to do what they do? Having exclusive titles is the only way to make ppl consider other launchers.

And, I bet PGI got some good of it, putting more money on their button line, enabling them to build a better game for the fans, within their capabilities that's in fact ruled by money. You are all morons if you claim a refund just because it's not on steam.

Nobody is forced to distribute through steam and its quite clever to start a conversation insulting everyone not sharing your opinion. PGI took the money, Epic wants you to use there launcher, none of them cares for you, but ye, believe them their PR bs.

#964 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:12 AM

Don't you understand your behavior is the reason Epic need to do what they do? Having exclusive titles is the only way to make ppl consider other launchers.

That's absurd. You get customers to switch over to a different launcher by creating incentives, not by holding games hostage.

View PostPiratexCore, on 30 July 2019 - 09:35 AM, said:

For some reason they only put this on the Discord and not anywhere else.

So if you put in for a refund from late Friday on, they're all currently piled up as they only started working on them again on Monday.

I put my refund request in 7/25 and it was processed 7/29.

Edited by process, 30 July 2019 - 10:16 AM.

#965 Paladin IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:16 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 30 July 2019 - 09:41 AM, said:

LOL...those numbers are REAL numbers of actual accounts that accumulate 10 or more matches in the month in the quick play queue. That they don't fit your preconceived notion on player numbers is NOT my problem. And your own stats indicate you HAVE NOT EVEN PLAYED 10 matches in any month in TWO YEARS. There's also no evidence of you playing Solaris, or Faction warfare ever in the time they've had searchable leaderboards.

https://leaderboard....h?u=paladin+IIC

I guess I'm a ghost then. Ooga booga spooky.

#966 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:56 AM

View PostPaladin IIC, on 30 July 2019 - 10:16 AM, said:

I guess I'm a ghost then. Ooga booga spooky.
No, you just play less than 10 games of Quick Play a month (and less than 25 games of Solaris per season).

#967 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:00 AM

I haven't played much over the last 18 months ... I was pretty hard core player the first 4.5 years spent over 800$ .... (setting my bona fides) .... I get why a Dev Shop for a niche game is willing to take the EPIC sugardaddy fornite money ... I completely get it, Epic is funding your game .... Still man it kinda hurts a bit ... hope it works out. I already skipped the pre-order and was wondering if I would regret that decision. Seems I made the right choice at least for now.

#968 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

Just got my refund.

Posted Image

#969 CrustyMech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 148 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:27 AM

I don't see any reason to quit playing MWO as others have stated (I understand their reasoning, however, for the most part).

I refunded because I am wary of the delays I am seeing around the MW5 product. I have seen this too many times in my previous career and in my gaming life.

To quote the Black Devils (a.k.a. the Devil's Brigade)

"Das dicke Ende kommt noch"

Edited by CrustyMech, 30 July 2019 - 07:36 PM.

#970 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:38 AM

WoW people, I get the nice to have it all in one launcher thing, but jeez... You are fighting for a Steam monopoly here. If it was a standalone launcher or could connect directly to any store for sales of keys I'd join the fight, but if we had more quality launchers or stores then the developers and customers would get better deals. Now Steam takes about 30% of the sales, and have no expenses advertising their products. In fact, they can charge extra for devs to place their products on user views. Don't you understand your behavior is the reason Epic need to do what they do? Having exclusive titles is the only way to make ppl consider other launchers.

And, I bet PGI got some good of it, putting more money on their button line, enabling them to build a better game for the fans, within their capabilities that's in fact ruled by money. You are all morons if you claim a refund just because it's not on steam.
I'm going to ignore the rest of your drivel and focus one the bold underlined part. You are wrong. There are other ways to get people to use other launchers, and they have nothing to do with underhanded anti-consumer business practices. You want someone to use your launcher over someone else? Then make a better platform with more features and better quality features that actually make people want to use your launcher over the competition. Forcing people into using your launcher through bribery and other underhanded means does not make for a happy user base.

#971 AzureRathalos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:40 AM

Refund request email sent on the 25th at 5:20PM.
Reply from PGI on the 29th at 10:06AM.
PGI is replying to refund requests. It will take time to process them all as well as any problems that might occur during processing.

Personally, after looking through the information about the situation I have found a reason to stay so I have cancelled my refund request.

I won't say why, because everyone's values are different and what works for me may or may not work for others. All I'm going to suggest is that people take the time to decide for themselves. Don't stay or go because someone told you to do it. Stay or go because it's right for you.

#972 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:14 PM

steam supports player modding of the game so the fans could build a better game for the fans but i hear epic does not have the support for modding

#973 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:20 PM

Mod support in this context means that Workshop gives you a frontend for loading mods, a free CMS, and maintains the tools for you.

The game is still moddable.

#974 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:23 PM

View PostNapoleon_Blownapart, on 30 July 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

steam supports player modding of the game so the fans could build a better game for the fans but i hear epic does not have the support for modding

- Not every game have modding possibility only because it published on steam. It depends on game engine and developers, not a platform. So if PGI don't make modding accessible for MW5, there will be no mods even if MWO came to Steam.

#975 Petrothian Tong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 249 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:26 PM

I asked for a refund last week and haven't heard back yet. hmmm

(as for me, I just know they will have DLC and expansion packs released before the year is up, and knowing me I would be very tempted to buy it off epic if I own the epic copy.... and my experience with fortnite account just makes me don't trust them anymore with my new credit cards.

I REMEMBER THIS:

https://www.vice.com...c-games-website

Edited by Petrothian Tong, 30 July 2019 - 12:29 PM.

#976 Saber Avalon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 362 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:34 PM

I don't get the refusal to provided steam keys to those who purchased under that agreement. King Art games, who are making Iron Harvest, have also signed an exclusive deal with Epic games but they are still honoring their steam pre-orders.

PGI, you should do the same. Lock it out so no further steam keys can be purchased but all accounts who purchased prior to the switch to Epic should get their steam keys. I am even willing to wait an additional year to get my steam key.

I understand, but don't agree with, the decision to go with Epic. You, however, still have a duty to fulfill your orders for steam keys. Turning your back on that is what crosses the line for me. Honor your steam key purchases.

#977 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:27 PM

View PostSaber Avalon, on 30 July 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

King Art games, who are making Iron Harvest, have also signed an exclusive deal with Epic games

Them too? Wow, I suppose PGI is thinking that they're actually more safe in joining the herd with this move, because Epic is scooping up most of the major PC releases nowdays.

#978 Saber Avalon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 362 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:30 PM

View Post5th Fedcom Rat, on 30 July 2019 - 01:27 PM, said:

Them too? Wow, I suppose PGI is thinking that they're actually more safe in joining the herd with this move, because Epic is scooping up most of the major PC releases nowdays.

yup, them too. They at least have confirmed all pre-orders are still getting steam keys. Once the game goes live or maybe it was beta, that won't be the case anymore for future purchases.

#979 Heathcules

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 30 July 2019 - 02:06 PM

Man I have been kicking it around for the past few days. Ever since I learned about the exclusive commit to Epic Games. I didn't want to make a snap decision so I let it simmer for a bit. To think through the decision of whether or not to cancel the pre-order.

I very Seldom pre-order games, so the fact that I did pre-order MW5 should say that I was excited about the game. One of the selling points to me at the time was the Steam Key. I would have been just as happy with a direct download. But since I have a good portion of my game library in Steam or GOG, Steam key was a solid selling point for me.

Now if PGI didn't come out and say steam key and a game launcher was to be decided at the time of pre-order. okay cool. But the didn't. It was made to sound like the steam key was a lock in.

Then, it comes out that they signed the agreement with Epic and the end of April... Before the pre-orders ended. Meaning that they were in discussion for some time prior. Now if PGI came out at that time and have been transparent. Communicated that the were in talks or at the very least communicated to people whom pre-ordered about an upcoming change in how the game was to be delivered. I could be understanding.

However, there was no communication. Learning that the planned announcements was to be 3 months......3 months after the deal was done. No emails to people whom pre-ordered the game.Things start to get shady.

The excuse that epic would provide better coverage.. I don't know about this. I honestly never heard of this game launcher until recently. But I am also an older gamer. I am not aware of the user base for Epic Games. It would be interesting if it would have the exposure to the right demographic for MW5.

The last thing that just give a negative rub. When it came out that PGI knew...knew it would anger people because they made a change and were poor at communicating the change. They just say get a refund. Kinda comes off like, they don't care. Like they don't need their player base.

For me the anger doesn't come from the change in distributor. That I could have forgiven if it was communicated better. But this whole thing leaves a bitter taste. I think that I am going to submit a refund request. Maybe I will buy the game down the road. It will more likely be if MW5 becomes available on a platform that makes more sense to me. Very likely if it on sale on that platform. We will just have to see.

As for continuing to play MWO, I'll probably still play it from time to time. Been getting tired of it lately and with the misteps from PGI on MW5 pre-order business. Maybe it will be good if I take a break for a little bit to get out from the funk that this whole ordeal has given me.

Have a good evening folks and maybe I'll see ya on a drop.

#980 Zaptiah

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBeautiful North Carolina

Posted 30 July 2019 - 02:58 PM

I think the biggest problem that everyone is having is that we were rather blatantly lied to. Personally I had never heard of Epic until this so I don't really care about that part. Having looked into I can see they have had a really rough start so that is a thing to consider. What is really burning myself and I would bet a bunch of folks is the way PGI did this. They knew they were switching platforms but still sold the Steam keys and original launch plans. Russ even clearly stated that even after the ink was on the paper they continued selling with a few days (3 i think) of overlap. This is clearly an unethical way to treat customers but more importantly it is glaringly unlawful. I think that is why PGI has been so fast to jump on the refund wagon .... in a hopes to avoid litigation or worse a criminal investigation by the DOJ. This is the first time I have ever pre-ordered a game and generally I wouldn't but I was REALLY excited to see a MW5 title. Obviously this is leaving a very sour taste and left me like so many torn. PGI has very blatantly violated several countries consumer protection laws and have been shockingly cavalier about it. What it boils down to is it worth pursuing legally? for most of us no, I certainly don't have pockets deep enough to hire an attorney does anyone else? That is what it would take. Otherwise I like many have to decide if I take the refund or not. PGI if your listen or reading this ( I doubt it to be frank) you are treating your customers in an incredibly shabby fashion. Maybe the Epic money is worth it in the short term. Maybe you really don't care like so many have expressed. Maybe it's a combination of the two, I don't know. What I do know is you have burn any good will this community had left for you. I now am left with deciding if I will refund or not, but I can guarantee that I will never buy from you again. In my opinion this has been a criminal action that this company has engaged in and I can not support you again in the future. you sold us a product you knowingly had no intention of delivering. You have point blank admitted this and are on the record to this fact. this is the very definition of Bait and Switch here in the USA. And while I would like to say shame on you the fact is you have a reputation for this type of behavior. The fact is shame on us for believing PGI would deliver on anything promised.

21 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 21 guests, 0 anonymous users