1380 replies to this topic

#1321 Sevronis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 August 2019 - 01:10 AM

I've always tried to be very positive about PGI and MWO, despite all others griping about this or that. Had so much hype when MW5 was announced. I honestly don't know what I want to do. I paid for a STEAM release, and that's what I want. On the other hand, I also don't want to lose out on the pre-order stuff for MW5.... that may or may not eventually show up as an optional thing to purchase later on anyway, as I've seen other games do before. But, I also can't be sure of any of that will happen. If all you needed to do was push back the release date, I'm fine with that. I'm very patient. But I really do not want to deal with Epic. Keep in mind, that perhaps someone out there, may present a receipt, or something with a mentioning of the Steam and if on a receipt, that's pretty legally binding. Though, probably banking on no one wanting to waste money and time on a lawyer for a damn Steam key lawsuit. Never know, SOMEONE may try.

There are 67 pages of backlash in this thread (EDIT: with mine starting the 68th). All I gotta say is, PROVIDE WHAT WAS ORIGINALLY PROMISED, EVEN IF IT CAN'T BE REDEEMED FOR A WHOLE YEAR OR WON'T BE GIVEN UNTIL THE YEAR HAS GONE BY. I could deal with Epic for a year if I knew I was still getting my Steam key, but I do not want to have to pay twice just to play this on Steam after a year.

PGI, you better put any profits you do manage to make from the Epic deal to good use to also breathe life back into MWO, starting with converting the engine over to Unreal. I don't want MWO to die either, but these decisions may be too difficult for you to rebound with either game if things definitely go south for you from this.

Edited by Sevronis, 17 August 2019 - 01:11 AM.

#1322 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 512 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:56 PM

View PostHorseman, on 16 August 2019 - 07:17 AM, said:

Hardly.
As much as believing that all the Epic supporters are shills sounds nice, I expect plenty of them are simply too out of the loop to have half a damn clue about what they're supporting . It's been much the same with G2A a few years back.
The explanations are for those people's benefit and that alone (and yes, some will forever defend their mistakes - those are beyond help).

The facts are real. Wether or not you choose to accept them is up to you.

Posted Image

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 18 August 2019 - 10:15 AM.
unconstructive

#1323 Zaptiah

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBeautiful North Carolina

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:43 AM

Refund demanded. I gave PGI time to announce that they would provide the Steam key to those of us that purchased that. It is clear they have no intention of honoring the sales obligation they made. I accept that this type of unethical and unlawful behavior happens but my money will not support this company any longer. For me personally it is the dishonesty, this blatant and unlawful Bait and Switch sales practice. I'm guessing that the Epic money has made it worth it for PGI to burn what good will the community had left. So congratulations PGI you made a quick buck ... you just lost your core community to do it but hey - who cares about thousands of middle age gamers with disposable income like me ...

#1324 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:00 PM

Epic's modus operandi is to trawl peoples' Steam wishlists using their launcher's software to see which games are going to be popular on Steam, then approach the studios responsible for those titles and make an exclusivity offer. If the party refuses exclusivity, they will typically refuse to carry them on the Epic store at all because Epic cannot sustain 12% for titles that may not be extraordinarily popular where they cannot also get all of the sales traffic. That's why all of these announcements are last-minute: it's by design so they can get metrics first. It's also why Steam no longer allows games to sell pre-orders on its store without guaranteeing final delivery through the store.

Basically, Epic is not actually interested in offering a better deal to game developers, long-term; this is about muscling into the digital distribution industry using developers as pawns and banking on the fact that gamers are more interested in getting their fix than in not dealing with what is an objectively inferior platform through which to obtain said fix. Granted, MW5 was not actually on Steam yet and Epic likely got the interest-measuring metrics some other way, but the concept is still the same: PGI had some a measure of interest that they could pitch to Epic to get a deal and they got it based on the premise of Steam delivery.

TL;DR: most gamers are morons with no standards and Epic know it.

#1325 Rhialto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:59 AM

EGS can't mesmerize everyone to do the switch to their platform. When I saw that story posted yesterday I was immediately thinking about this topic/thread so I come to read on a new wave of posts about this story. Can't believe I'm the first to post about the new hero, Unfold Games.

Props to this developper for standing still and turning down EPIC exclusivity deal.

#1326 Electroflameageddon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:25 AM

Pretty interesting article.

I suddenly have 50 bucks to spend on another game, so I'm going to have a look at Darq.

May as well support someone with ethics....

#1327 Grayson Sortek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 371 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:47 AM

View PostRhialto, on 19 August 2019 - 12:59 AM, said:

EGS can't mesmerize everyone to do the switch to their platform. When I saw that story posted yesterday I was immediately thinking about this topic/thread so I come to read on a new wave of posts about this story. Can't believe I'm the first to post about the new hero, Unfold Games.

Props to this developper for standing still and turning down EPIC exclusivity deal.

Well, I'll be sharing this with as many people as I possibly can. Thank you for sharing this!
See PGI, you basically lost all credibility with your community and you've turned a lot of us into negative promoters.

#1328 JUGMAN

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:13 AM

You have lost another middle aged gamer that puts hundreds of dollars in mech packs and MC a year. I will Play MWO because of my past purchases but there will not be another dime put into PGI pockets. Let that sink in MIDDLE AGED GAMER WITH DISPOSABLE INCOME not putting more money into PGI. Multiply that by a couple hundred or so and you are talking about a developers salary poof gone.

Russ we all know you are not stupid. Do the smart thing and give what was originally sold to the preorders.

#1329 JUGMAN

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:25 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 13 August 2019 - 09:25 PM, said:

I don't care that it went epic... I have ONE game on steam and one on discord. I'll have one on GoG and one on epic... big deal.

And this is why our society is more about the instant gratification and not about what is right.

The wrong.....Epic getting the rights for MW5 when the customers were told and preorders STEAM. IT is about truth and ethics nothing more. I dont care that EPIC was given the exclusivity. IT IS ABOUT BEING LIED TO!!!!

The right.....speaking and protesting with my pocket book and my keyboard. Only way to get to a company is screw with the profits.

#1330 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:09 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 13 August 2019 - 09:25 PM, said:

I don't care that it went epic... I have ONE game on steam and one on discord. I'll have one on GoG and one on epic... big deal.
Sounds like you've never bought a Humble Bundle.

#1331 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:24 AM

Now this is funny:

https://www.gamerevo...-fortnite-brute

"#removethemech"

Edited by Mycroft000, 21 August 2019 - 05:24 AM.

#1332 Stormrane

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPerth, Aus

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:58 AM

Welp, I'm late to the party, just like I was late to the pre-order party and this is disappointing to read.
Given the date and the previous MW5 home page splash screen I was all ready to board the hype train leading up to launch and bam, exclusivity...
To be clear, I couldn't care less about EGS as an alternative platform, in theory, or Steam for that matter but I'm dead against 3rd party exclusive deals(1st party get a pass because they bankrolled the damn thing, annoying as it is) and as long as Epic pushes this line I won't touch a single game that reaches their platform via exclusivity, including yours PGI. I'll very likely be playing a pirated version of the game until it becomes widely available via your own launcher or through Steam/GOG/Discord etc.

Thankyou for MWO, despite the salt I've seen on the forums over the years and my preference for single player games I've enjoyed MWO, it's not hard to enjoy a Battletech/Mechwarrior game

#1333 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:26 AM

View PostMycroft000, on 21 August 2019 - 05:24 AM, said:

Now this is funny:
https://www.gamerevo...-fortnite-brute
"#removethemech"

Seriously? People confuse MW5 and Fortnite because they both have mechs?
Wow...just....I don't know.

#1334 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:22 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 21 August 2019 - 08:26 AM, said:

Seriously? People confuse MW5 and Fortnite because they both have mechs?
Wow...just....I don't know.
This is the fortnite crowd PGI hoped to monetize...

I don't know how it looks to you, but to me it looks like one of the worst cases of misjudging your target audience ever.

#1335 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:38 AM

I don't know if the Fortnite people are realy the target audiance. The Epic store has games for a lot of different audiances, not Fortnite alone.

#1336 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:44 AM

this is being pushed way farther than it actually is. That tweet has by now 87 replys. Half-@ssed jokes and people trying to be funny included. That's hardly a representative demographic. But the whole controversy and discussion is good. Spreads the news, for free.

#1337 Grayson Sortek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 371 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:53 AM

View PostStormrane, on 21 August 2019 - 07:58 AM, said:

I'll very likely be playing a pirated version of the game until it becomes widely available via your own launcher or through Steam/GOG/Discord etc.

Same. After investing a stupid amount of money into MWO with the hopes to see the MW franchise grow I'm done giving these yuppies all the money they want. I'll probably just pirate the game to see how good/bad it is and then buy it when it comes to Steam for like $10 maybe $15. They better hope it doesn't end up on G2A LMFAO.

Seriously, though, I cannot support this crap that Epic is doing or the people who sign up for things like this. I was really looking forward to things like Metro and The Outer Worlds as well... Oh well.

#1338 Electroflameageddon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:18 AM

Not going to play a pirated version.

Not going to play an Epic version.

Not going to play a Steam/GoG version.

I'm not going to support a company without ethics. I'm not going to support a company that lies to their customers.

PGI isn't the first company that I won't buy from and it probably won't be the last. I will take my considerable disposable income somewhere else.

#1339 Kyroe

Rookie

• The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:20 AM

MW5 not sold through steam, means it will not be sold to me...

#1340 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:21 AM

View PostY E O N N E, on 18 August 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

Epic's modus operandi is to trawl peoples' Steam wishlists using their launcher's software to see which games are going to be popular on Steam, then approach the studios responsible for those titles and make an exclusivity offer.

So you have proof of that, right?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users