Why Do We Hate Epic Games Store?

161 replies to this topic

#41 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:03 AM

EPIC is buying games to force people to use their platform, what benefits could that possibly give to us as consumers?

We're not saying MW5 can't be on their launcher, it's the denial of choices that's not well received.

#42 Sergeant Destroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:13 AM

View PostHorseman, on 26 July 2019 - 06:00 AM, said:

Wrong. The Epic hate train has very little to do with EGS being an additional app and everything with Epic launching the platform in a state where it was not ready for consumption, failing at very basic security measures, literally punishing customers for spending money, leaking customer data (and I'm not referring to the Tencent Conspiracy) and aggressively collecting data regarding your Steam account without going through the proper means.
Because yes, those are all things Epic can be held responsible for.

Fine, now wheres the outrage about Origin, Uplay and BattleNet exclusives?

#43 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:19 AM

View PostSergeant Destroy, on 26 July 2019 - 06:13 AM, said:

Origin caught a lot of ****,but got better over time. My only issue is I can't link Origin to Steam and launch from Steam. Would be great if I could. But it's still missing some basic stuff like reviews and things like that. Origin does have shoddy servers though for playing and downloading.

uPlay lets you link and use Steam,and you can buy from Steam for either or platform. It's not very good,but it's got a pretty small foot print.

Battlenet..I know nothing about,but it's Activision and Bliz's stuff now. All I know is it's better than EGS..

#44 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:29 AM

There are many reasons, some I didnt even realise but by far the most worrying one is the lack of a Steam workshop for convienient and easy access to mod support. I mean that was a huge selling feature it being on steam I believe. Why does PGI continually have to make their own lives harder? Seriously lol.

#45 Thor Sten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:37 AM

Why I hate Epic: Exclusivity and that pretentious "competition is good for the customer".

Exclusivity is why I don't want to bother with consoles anymore and it's not competition if you bought the exclusive rights, dummy. I would be totally fine with it, and tempted to use it, if the 12% vs. 30% would somehow be noticeable in the store, say a game is out for 60 bucks on Steam or 50 bucks on Epic, but instead it's just on Epic for 60.

As with every game that goes exclusive on Epic, I will simply not buy it. Not even when it goes to Steam in a year. Perhaps one day, when it's on sale at GoG, that is: not for the foreseeable future.

#46 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:39 AM

View PostHGAK47, on 26 July 2019 - 06:29 AM, said:

There are many reasons, some I didnt even realise but by far the most worrying one is the lack of a Steam workshop for convienient and easy access to mod support. I mean that was a huge selling feature it being on steam I believe. Why does PGI continually have to make their own lives harder? Seriously lol.

I legit suspect what happened was

MW5 like MWO didn't really have a direction for it set by the brass at PGI.
MW5 started falling further and further behind. MWO isn't pulling in whales anymore since mechpacks dont sell like they used to.
MWO has been sick for a long time,and PGI is probably sick of it(mostly their mistakes.)
Russ realizes that MW5 falls further and further behind more,and Epic approaches them,and shoves a big bag of money in his lap and Russ gets a get out of jail free card. They get the needed capital,and they get an essentially paid early testing phase so that way they can fix the game for Steam Launch.
Russ tries to backpedal and praise Epic but fails to realize that the games that went to Epic,didn't really recover,and other Dev Teams have hinted that the money wasn't worth it.
Russ tries to put out the dumpster fire he lit again.

#47 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:47 AM

First time posting in a while. I've been critical of PGI before. I knew there would be a crap storm with this.

It's a niche game (mostly), Epic will certainly provide much need cash for PGI. I do not blame them at all for doing it. People railing against Epic probably have not used the platform. The biggest thing is cloud saves. Just go to the game folder and bsck it up. Hell I didn't plan on pre-ordering it at all I just might now, seeing as people are throwing their toys out of the pram.

If that infusion of cash allows for better support - I'm 100% fine with it.

#48 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:59 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 26 July 2019 - 01:34 AM, said:

Notice how this was posted on a Steam forum, under a group named F##k Epic (ironically, not hashed out).... where Steams Content rules include "Do not post any content on Steam containing the following: Abusive language, including swearing"...

Biased PR Much?

That's why I gave two sources, but regardless as I mentioned in my previous post. I don't really care that much about the issue, other than the fact that I know EGS is deeply unpopular right now and that'll affect MW5 in a negative way - especially when it comes to sales.

View PostLordNothing, on 26 July 2019 - 12:57 AM, said:

look at all that stuff i dont need or want, can you just sell me a game pls?

I'm simply answering OP's question, you decide for yourself if you're fine with EGS. But if you want to buy one of my own games, they're not quite in a ready state, but I'll let you know once I'm ready to sell. Posted Image

#49 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:02 AM

View PostSergeant Destroy, on 26 July 2019 - 06:13 AM, said:

How many of those were announced for other platforms first and then did a bait-and-switch to their current platform?
If the game was announced for Epic, it would be far less of an issue than when it switched platforms AFTER we've bought ungodly expensive preorders.

Edited by Horseman, 26 July 2019 - 07:04 AM.

#50 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:08 AM

View PostNightbird, on 26 July 2019 - 06:03 AM, said:

EPIC is buying games to force people to use their platform, what benefits could that possibly give to us as consumers?

We're not saying MW5 can't be on their launcher, it's the denial of choices that's not well received.

In the AMA Russ said once the games downloaded through EPIC you could just launch it via executable. I'm trying to get that confirmed via Twitter but Twitter is a dumpster fire because this community is full of histrionic nutbars. I PMed Tina on Discord but again, not sure how to get this confirmed.

As to OPs original comment -

Steam is crap for developers but great for the consumer. EPIC is crap for the consumer but great for developers. That's the difference, in really short. Of the 3 games I've gotten on EPIC one literally won't launch 3 weeks after purchase and their support has been 100% worthless. Of the other two one took almost two days of my screwing around with it and googling help from other players with the same issue, the other I managed to get working in an hour or so. The launcher is memory hungry while providing absolutely 0 benefit for having it up and about as intrusive as Facebook for wanting data from my PC.

In addition to that humans on the internet are incredibly stupid and prone to believing and repeating the most absurd, baseless BS when it sounds dramatic and makes them feel special or put upon so there's ocean of BS around the EPIC platform. It works like crap, has no real support and provides 0 benefits. Exclusives are an absolutely **** marketing strategy for the consumer. You don't need to pretend it's Chinese spyware or the like to justify not wanting to use it.

#51 Zuri Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 120 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:16 AM

Long time MechWarrior fan here, seriously disappointed with this betrayal of trust after assuring us this wasn't happening. PGI, be greedy all you want but I'm not spending another cent and will be getting a refund on my pre-order. I will not sacrifice my values to play a niche robot game
Enjoy Epic's bribe money you cowards.

Edited by Zuri Prime, 26 July 2019 - 07:18 AM.

#52 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:21 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 26 July 2019 - 07:08 AM, said:

The launcher is memory hungry while providing absolutely 0 benefit for having it up and about as intrusive as Facebook for wanting data from my PC.

You don't need to pretend it's Chinese spyware or the like to justify not wanting to use it.

Then what is it using up all that memory for huh :D It's scanning your computer for something....

#53 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:21 AM

View PostZuri Prime, on 26 July 2019 - 07:16 AM, said:

Long time MechWarrior fan here, seriously disappointed with this betrayal of trust after assuring us this wasn't happening. PGI, be greedy all you want but I'm not spending another cent and will be getting a refund on my pre-order. I will not sacrifice my values to play a niche robot game
Enjoy Epic's bribe money you cowards.

Values? Guys you all have to stop being hyperbolic if you want to be taken seriously. Steam is taking a much bigger cut than epic is currently. If you all are this upset you all should be looking at Steam and coax them into not sticking it to the indie developer?

#54 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:24 AM

View PostApolloKaras, on 26 July 2019 - 07:21 AM, said:

Values? Guys you all have to stop being hyperbolic if you want to be taken seriously. Steam is taking a much bigger cut than epic is currently. If you all are this upset you all should be looking at Steam and coax them into not sticking it to the indie developer?

Steam takes half of what stores take, and provides much better service

EPIC takes less than Steam, and provides **** service

How about a little consumer choice for which platform to use huh?

#55 Zuri Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 120 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:28 AM

Epic is very anti consumer with their policies. Look at their track record and features.

#56 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:32 AM

The Thing is, steam adds a lot of value to the consumer. Forums, ratings, mods, cloud saves, and the list goes on for a long time.

When you add in that epic's plan to gain market share is one of the most blatant anti-consumer policies seen in a long time, you have a ton of reason for consumers to be butt-hurt over it. When you kick someone (the consumer) in the shin, don't expect him NOT to complain.

Lastly, Epic could EASILY gained market share in a way that garners a Ton more positive feedback than what they're doing too. All they'd have to do would be to Not exclusify, but instead to Subsidize games on thier store for the first X months. (I.E. sell game on store for 25 instead of 50, then kick back 25 to the developer) This would make them the Low cost go-to place for a ton of consumers for new-release games, and still gain them plenty of marketshare, and NOT basically anger 2/3 of the gaming community in the process.

Edited by Daurock, 26 July 2019 - 07:32 AM.

#57 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:41 AM

Its too bad they can't just use the MWO Portal to distribute the game. Guess they feel like:
1) They don't have enough money and didn't get enough preorders to fund development long enough and needed alternative investors. Cue Epic offering a deal with the devil just in time.
2) They won't get enough advertising from what they can do on their own.

#58 Sergeant Destroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:43 AM

Subsidising niche products you most likely sell once per person sounds really smart......

#59 Jackofallpots

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:46 AM

people be all worried

#60 Antares102

• Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts