161 replies to this topic

#61 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,776 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:10 AM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 26 July 2019 - 06:59 AM, said:

I'm simply answering OP's question, you decide for yourself if you're fine with EGS. But if you want to buy one of my own games, they're not quite in a ready state, but I'll let you know once I'm ready to sell. Posted Image

it was more directed at pgi than you. i just dont want to have to have 10 different resident services on my computer (plus update services and drm services and other things that slow up my rig), id rather use that space for games.

Edited by LordNothing, 26 July 2019 - 10:11 AM.

#62 FireStoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:13 AM

The run of MWO hand its ups and downs, but this seals the deal. From my humble point of view, there's thousands of games I could be using my free time on and I don't have the energy to get emotionally involved in this mess. Russ made his decision to make the game an exclusive to a service I don't want. Cool enough. People will crack the game within 90 days regardless and folks will decide if it's worth their cash a year later when it's on Steam / GoG or not.

Later, all.

#63 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:46 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 26 July 2019 - 07:08 AM, said:

In the AMA Russ said once the games downloaded through EPIC you could just launch it via executable.
By the time you can verify it as true it will be too late to refund.

Steam is crap for developers but great for the consumer. EPIC is crap for the consumer but great for developers.
What's crap for the consumer will eventually be poisonous to the developer - because their pretty little exclusivegame simply won't sell enough copies to be worthwhile.

#64 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 12:00 PM

Because that has been so harmful to consoles.

#65 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 12:12 PM

Well there is a slight difference in Exclusivity due to Hardware, self created software pushing their very own sales platform and throwing money at devs to not let others buy the game where they would like to "forcing" them to install something they dont want.

You dont like the cut any sales platform takes? Publish on your own. Hire people for marketing, support and keep all the revenue to yourself. Wonder how much of the revenue you can keep if you want to have a reach like steam for example.

I would love to deinstall all of them and rack up some oldfashioned gamepackings on my shelf. But hey that would cost money right?

#66 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 July 2019 - 12:15 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 26 July 2019 - 12:00 PM, said:

Because that has been so harmful to consoles.
This is PC. Exclusivity works on consoles because customers lock themselves into the entire hardware platform. On PC you can just happily ignore Epic and continue buying from Steam and GOG.

#67 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 12:44 PM

View PostNightbird, on 26 July 2019 - 07:21 AM, said:

Then what is it using up all that memory for huh Posted Image It's scanning your computer for something....

Not so bad as that but it's wanting all my Steam data, also e-mail addys and some pretty specific hardware data.

Nothing that a variety of other services don't look for.

I just wish it didn't run like **** and had some reason to want it active.

#68 RumpledMunky

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:02 PM

For me personally it's because I won't support or give my money to any company associated with Tencent. For probably 30 years now Paradox and it's predecessors have been a favourite dev of mine. I won't buy anything from them anymore because Tencent owns a significant percentage of the company. But Tencent owns 8 times that percentage of Epic. The fact that a 40% shareholder is, according to Sweeney, powerless is laughable.

On top of that Epic has some serious database security issues. They've had their customer data breached more times than all the other major game companies combined.

Edited by RumpledMunky, 26 July 2019 - 01:03 PM.

#69 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:19 PM

View PostRumpledMunky, on 26 July 2019 - 01:02 PM, said:

They've had their customer data breached more times than all the other major game companies combined.

Is there a source for that?

#70 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:24 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 26 July 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

Not that I could find anywhere. I mean the client is crappy from a performance perspective but the only data breaches I can find for EPIC are the same account hacks that Steam has always had and everything else; hacking someones account login and such.

They only recently released 2 factor authentication but there's no reference I can find to sweeping leaks of consumer CPI or CPNI.

There are times I hate that this community can be so histrionic that I'm having to do stuff like defend EPIC. Because the EPIC launcher is crap and their customer service is crap and exclusives are like potentially cancerous genital warts. There's tons of REAL things to complain about. People making stuff up or repeating false information they heard in a reddit thread once just muddle that.

#71 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:32 PM

IIRC, Epic wasn't anonymizing the data it was scavenging and was also targeting Steam folders. That's the problem.

#72 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:34 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 26 July 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

There are times I hate that this community can be so histrionic that I'm having to do stuff like defend EPIC.

I honestly don't even really care; it isn't like epic is doing anything new to gaming.

I just don't like when people spout off ******** they read on reddit like its a fact.

View PostY E O N N E, on 26 July 2019 - 01:32 PM, said:

IIRC, Epic wasn't anonymizing the data it was scavenging and was also targeting Steam folders. That's the problem.

Program does exactly what the EULA says it does. It grabs one steam file on install (because it would need admin elevation to do this after the fact) and scrapes it for your friends list.

Edited by Prototelis, 26 July 2019 - 01:36 PM.

#73 MadcatX

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:35 PM

View PostHorseman, on 26 July 2019 - 12:15 PM, said:

This is PC. Exclusivity works on consoles because customers lock themselves into the entire hardware platform. On PC you can just happily ignore Epic and continue buying from Steam and GOG.

I'd say it's a different kind of exclusivity. On console, yea, you need the console. On PC, it's exclusive to one storefront, so there's a little bit of a difference there. As for the other storefronts, I view that situation as more along the lines of an illusion of choice.

Storefront exclusivity is not a new thing to PC's. If you want to play ANYTHING made by Blizzard for example, there's only one place you're getting it from.

#74 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:39 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 26 July 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

Program does exactly what the EULA says it does. It grabs one steam file on install (because it would need admin elevation to do this after the fact) and scrapes it for your friends list.

Again, IIRC, it also wasn't in the EULA at the time. They quickly fixed that.

#75 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:49 PM

The platform has atrociously bad security, lacks basic storefront features and you are so ****ed over if your payment method or currency isn't accepted, the fees are monstrous.

#76 RumpledMunky

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:07 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 26 July 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

View PostMischiefSC, on 26 July 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

Not that I could find anywhere. I mean the client is crappy from a performance perspective but the only data breaches I can find for EPIC are the same account hacks that Steam has always had and everything else; hacking someones account login and such.

They only recently released 2 factor authentication but there's no reference I can find to sweeping leaks of consumer CPI or CPNI.

There are times I hate that this community can be so histrionic that I'm having to do stuff like defend EPIC. Because the EPIC launcher is crap and their customer service is crap and exclusives are like potentially cancerous genital warts. There's tons of REAL things to complain about. People making stuff up or repeating false information they heard in a reddit thread once just muddle that.

I honestly don't even really care; it isn't like epic is doing anything new to gaming.

I just don't like when people spout off ******** they read on reddit like its a fact.

The shady **** when it first came out and was scanning Steam caches(not just friends lists). The issues with not verifying account emails. The Fortnite account breach. The 2FA coming out so late and by the time it did people were getting emails for log in from foreign IPs regularly. There were a few others too. But for the most part I only pay attention in passing. I could be wrong about the number of issues but I've seen them mentioned with security issues more in the last year than I've seen everyone else mentioned in the last 5. I refer to actual news organisations mentioning them. I don't even have a Facebook, much less **** like reddit or Twitter etc.

Steam has issues(including security ones) but it's been around long enough to have worked most of them out. Why would I want to use a ******** store front that does NOTHING better than it's competitors? If they were actually offering benefits to the CONSUMER I might look at them more. But they aren't. They aren't providing market competition. If Steam was selling the same new releases for $60 and Epic for $45 then yeah maybe there would be something there. But with Tencent involved I'd just pay the extra $15 to avoid them. But fact is I can wait a year for the Steam sale after the exclusivity ends and probably buy it for $10. I don't have that much free time and I've got enough **** I've bought and not played yet I could pass on the next 10 years of releases and still have unplayed games. So I'll just wait and take a look at it when it's not on EGS.

Really it comes down to my aversion to Tencent.

Edited by RumpledMunky, 26 July 2019 - 03:10 PM.

#77 Andross Deverow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:27 PM

three words basically... "Bait and Switch" enough said.

Sad day for all mechwarrior fans as a whole..

#78 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 05:02 PM

Well, again, to be fair.

I sandboxed the EGL when I first got it. It wanted a hell of a lot more than just one file from my steam client. It was searching for DLLs, it pull browser cookies, sniffed pretty much all of my root certificates like a dog looking for a date. It didn't just want general hardware profiles it wanted **** like serial numbers. All of this after I declined all the 'hey we wanna check out your stuff' requests.

It also irked me that it not only grabbed my steam content (it didn't just grab friends list, it took all the games I have and their associated meta data, as in hours played, etc) but tried to obfuscate that and then encrypted it. No question it was designed in such a way as to cover up that it was copying the file. There's not any good reason for that.

I mean it literally checked to see if I had Fiddler installed. While I don't think anything seriously nefarious is going on with it I get peoples feelings that it's shady. It does stuff it really doesn't have a great reason to do, tries to obfuscate some of what it does and checks to see if you've got analysis tools to see if it's doing anything it shouldn't.

I get this is likely just intended for dealing with hacks and exploiters but it just looked shady AF.

Edited by MischiefSC, 26 July 2019 - 05:03 PM.

#79 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 26 July 2019 - 05:49 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 26 July 2019 - 05:02 PM, said:

Well, again, to be fair.

I sandboxed the EGL when I first got it. It wanted a hell of a lot more than just one file from my steam client. It was searching for DLLs, it pull browser cookies, sniffed pretty much all of my root certificates like a dog looking for a date. It didn't just want general hardware profiles it wanted **** like serial numbers. All of this after I declined all the 'hey we wanna check out your stuff' requests.

It also irked me that it not only grabbed my steam content (it didn't just grab friends list, it took all the games I have and their associated meta data, as in hours played, etc) but tried to obfuscate that and then encrypted it. No question it was designed in such a way as to cover up that it was copying the file. There's not any good reason for that.

I mean it literally checked to see if I had Fiddler installed. While I don't think anything seriously nefarious is going on with it I get peoples feelings that it's shady. It does stuff it really doesn't have a great reason to do, tries to obfuscate some of what it does and checks to see if you've got analysis tools to see if it's doing anything it shouldn't.

I get this is likely just intended for dealing with hacks and exploiters but it just looked shady AF.

IIRC they already admitted that it was a feature they were working on, trying to automatically import friends list from Steam which didn't really panned out well.

Should really rename themselves as Epic-Fails.

If only the good games doesn't run on UE4 -- or really UE4 isn't just a good engine, I really want nothing to do with them.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 26 July 2019 - 05:50 PM.

#80 Adamant80

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 58 posts
  • LocationI'm not sure...

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:10 PM

I left because security breaches were wayyyyyyy too common.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users