109 replies to this topic

#41 Eurystheus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:57 PM

View PostAlienized, on 02 August 2019 - 02:34 PM, said:

fact is, you gotta deal with bad players all time. if you try to tell them something they can improve they go full idiot.
doesnt matter how you tell them too.

too many times it happens (and it did earlier) which is massively frustrating to see players failing to do simple things over and over and over.

if something fails permanently and you dont change anything then you need to get called out or seek for advice yourself but instead they just ruin all the battles they are in.

(hoorah for PSR!)

I understand your remarks are not aimed at me specifically, but I'm going to answer as if they were:

First of all, I don't need anyone to tell me I'm a bad player. I already know that and I have the losses and deaths to prove it! After spending months and months at the bottom of tier 5, I somehow accidentally made it into tier 4.

Second, no one likes it when other players start yelling at them. I don't see that often, but occasionally, and the way I handle it is to hit my tab key and mute them. No fuss, no muss, no reason to report anyone.

Third, I am open to advice from better players, but for me the best way to learn is to continue to spectate after I've been killed. Which results in me spectating a lot.

Fourth, I see a lot of one size fits all advice and tactics thrown around. In conquest and assault, some people insist on ignoring bases and resources and just go kill mechs. It's fun when at the end of the game, my team is down to two mechs and the other team still has eight and we win because we paid attention to all the win conditions. Not so much fun when, at the end of the game and after paying attention to the win conditions, we lose because we paid attention to the win conditions and all got killed. Situations are fluid. Sometimes playing to the win conditions succeeds. Sometimes just going out and killing mechs succeeds.

Then there is HPG. Everyone says go for the top. All the time. It doesn't work all the time. In my experience it is just as likely to work as not to work. Again, situations are fluid.

Just my 2¢ worth.

#42 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:22 PM

Event is named "Tryhard", but there's no 500 AMS requirements for anything. Where's the tryhard?

#43 UnPh4ZeD

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:49 PM

This is a solid event. Thank you.

#44 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:52 PM

View PostEurystheus, on 02 August 2019 - 02:57 PM, said:

I understand your remarks are not aimed at me specifically, but I'm going to answer as if they were:

First of all, I don't need anyone to tell me I'm a bad player. I already know that and I have the losses and deaths to prove it! After spending months and months at the bottom of tier 5, I somehow accidentally made it into tier 4.

Second, no one likes it when other players start yelling at them. I don't see that often, but occasionally, and the way I handle it is to hit my tab key and mute them. No fuss, no muss, no reason to report anyone.

Third, I am open to advice from better players, but for me the best way to learn is to continue to spectate after I've been killed. Which results in me spectating a lot.

Fourth, I see a lot of one size fits all advice and tactics thrown around. In conquest and assault, some people insist on ignoring bases and resources and just go kill mechs. It's fun when at the end of the game, my team is down to two mechs and the other team still has eight and we win because we paid attention to all the win conditions. Not so much fun when, at the end of the game and after paying attention to the win conditions, we lose because we paid attention to the win conditions and all got killed. Situations are fluid. Sometimes playing to the win conditions succeeds. Sometimes just going out and killing mechs succeeds.

Then there is HPG. Everyone says go for the top. All the time. It doesn't work all the time. In my experience it is just as likely to work as not to work. Again, situations are fluid.

Just my 2¢ worth.

naw man it wasnt about you just in general.
im just mad at all the people not understanding a thing about this game and dont want to learn either but im stuck with them and whatever you say, they go off instantly and cry to PGI.

not everyone can play as good as me i know (neither can i ever play as good as guys like proton of b0wser, im a good solid player at best) BUT you know, im trying to at least not be a burden and camp like a noob with horrid loadouts for example.

too many players just do exactly that and they can't get their heads out of their butts, not understanding it is not fun to play with them under any circumstance.

its their toxic playstyle that leads to toxic comments and PGI doesnt give a damn after all

#45 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 12:36 AM

View PostAlienized, on 02 August 2019 - 11:52 PM, said:

... not understanding it is not fun to play with them under any circumstance.

its their toxic playstyle that leads to toxic comments and PGI doesnt give a damn after all

Maybe they just dont care for the definition of fun for some random internet guy randomly assigned to a temporary team for a pickupgame?

You want your teammates play like you want? Find a group and stay out of pugs. Posted Image

Edited by Kroete, 03 August 2019 - 12:39 AM.

#46 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 August 2019 - 12:47 AM

View PostKroete, on 03 August 2019 - 12:36 AM, said:

Maybe they just dont care for the definition of fun for some random internet guy randomly assigned to a temporary team for a pickupgame?

You want your teammates play like you want? Find a group and stay out of pugs. Posted Image

nope, i actually only want them to support each other as a team which helps everyone included. they can snipe all they want if they only knew how to position.

they can stay behind if their mechs are made for it when well designed.

none of it happens tho with such people. this aint a solo player game so dont play like solo
but too many do anyway failing to realize you actually have humans that have to play with you and would like to have fun too.
there is no room for selfishness in here but i cant see much else anymore.

im also quite sure most of the people criticizing me never seen me play or know what motivates me to play stuff like highlanders, victors and such off meta mechs.
they are mechs that require teamplay to perform well. playing them under the current circumstances is more than challenging but it works.

can you make em work?

#47 Serial Number

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 204 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 02:47 AM

Posted Image

#48 Thariel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 184 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:22 AM

Change the matchmaking system!! you cannot group with friends or will never ever find a match. just put any exisitng group in any team and fill the teams up with solos if necessary !!

This is bullsh't and drives people from leaving the game. People want to play together with their friends.

#49 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:29 AM

Stompy tryhard groups in soloQ is going to make people leave a lot faster.

#50 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:54 AM

just go to a discord and syncdrop.
it works sometimes and if not you could end up fighting each other, still a giggle.

#51 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:45 AM

View PostAlienized, on 02 August 2019 - 11:52 PM, said:

...like a noob with horrid loadouts for example.

One of the worst things you can do is "insult" someone's loadout/build. All too often I see on these forums someone asking for build advise, and "good players" (AKA: random people) don't work off the basis of their design concept and instead present "this meta build you must take". Players are more touchy about their build concepts than other forms of advise (though I've been yelled at in game after reminding someone that their weapons have a hard minimum range, and then watch them shoot their weapons within minimum range again after yelling at me with an "I know what I'm doing"), so build advice often needs to be approached diligently and carefully.

Best way to approach loadout advise is to try and stay with their concept, and improve on the weapon synergy/balance. I know I've been told some of my builds are "horrid", yet I perform well with those mechs compared to the recommended meta builds (in most cases). Most meta builds in random solo play do very poorly in my hands (I can get it to work within a team, maybe). Yet some of my "oddball" designs sprang up because and work well in solo and some group play. Often times, these "oddball" designs are a mix of LRMs and direct fire weapons, rather than a dedicated direct fire or LRM boat. In solo play, I find I can't get away with an LRM "boat", because my teammates would be unwilling to protect me (even if I am near them). In group play I can get away with an LRM boat (though I don't like boating LRMs). However, I still feel more comfortable in my mix builds, as I leave flexibility to do what my team may need me to do. (Just an example.)

(For example, I like to mix LRMs and direct fire weapons, then working my way into direct fire confrontations [typically via JJs if possible]. Or of note my Crab 27B loadout, which is two LLs and four ERMLs. People have told me it "sucks" and I'll be better off with hex MPLs. Yet I get good results with my build. Something to keep in mind.)

Mind, these is all subjective to the individual, the build, etc. I've seen some builds that were just... wow. Eight flamers and no other weapon? That's a write off in most cases... A mech with only two NARCs and four TAGs... Yeah I think someone's trolling the team... etc.
(Take what I'm saying here with a grain of salt please. A lot of build advice is subjective and dependent upon the users preference and skill sets. Some people may also just be exploring what could be a new possibility.)

View PostAlienized, on 03 August 2019 - 04:54 AM, said:

just go to a discord and syncdrop.
it works sometimes and if not you could end up fighting each other, still a giggle.

I will warn, sync dropping only works well the closer in PSR players are to each other. A T5 and a T1 player will have an extremely hard time sync dropping (read as "almost impossible unless player population is literally so low it can't help but to match them together"). But it can be fun to try and sync drop, and end up on opposite teams. Posted Image

I think it would be acceptable if groups of two or maybe even three were permitted to drop within solo queue "if they are not needed in group queue" and after a certain length of time has passed to "open that floodgate". Kinda like how PSR matching works, where it tries to create matches based on your PSR tier first, then slowly opens the gates as you wait longer (the seed player, not necessarily "you") until literally anyone can be matched against you.

#52 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 12:26 PM

View PostAlienized, on 02 August 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

rant

Could you check if you're posting in the right thread ?
Because everyone is rejoicing at the quality of the new event and suddenly boom you post an unrelated rant out of the blues.

#53 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 August 2019 - 01:21 AM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 03 August 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

Could you check if you're posting in the right thread ?
Because everyone is rejoicing at the quality of the new event and suddenly boom you post an unrelated rant out of the blues.

new event same old stuff going to happen. always the same if you didnt notice.
players going to focus on the challenges not getting that you can reach pretty much all the achievements needed playing as usual without an event going.
which always messes up battles dragging down the quality of the matches during an event.

View PostTesunie, on 03 August 2019 - 08:45 AM, said:

snip

i actually tell people to rethink their loadouts and give them advices in a normal matter.
like, some guy said ATM's are awesome (he was in a assault and didnt have the movement for it) so i basically told him to use backup weapons for close range or a more mobile mech for the time learning how to pilot assaults well enough to use min range weapons.

even bigger a problem when we been in the battle before and he bragged a bit about his mech but got his mech trashed by me in a victor-9S as i went under his min range and he couldnt do anything about it.

most players are getting so mad for no reason even if you just proven them they are wrong.

#54 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 512 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:26 AM

Done in 2 days. Which part of it is supposed to be hard? Posted Image
I understand this is hard for most of the MWO players, but can you please do at least 1 really hard challenge for the long time players?

And thanks for finally having GSP as reward. And not just 1 GSP like in the Solaris event, but 10. Helps me to skill my last mechs.

#55 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:02 PM

View PostWishmast3r, on 04 August 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

Done in 2 days. Which part of it is supposed to be hard? Posted Image
I understand this is hard for most of the MWO players, but can you please do at least 1 really hard challenge for the long time players?

And thanks for finally having GSP as reward. And not just 1 GSP like in the Solaris event, but 10. Helps me to skill my last mechs.

its hard because you gotta play with too many damn morons killing each fun you could have.

#56 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:23 PM

It's true you can tell an event is on by the number of doodlebug mechs wandering into your stream of fire or being unable to drive for ****, but I haven't heard a lot of yelling lately. I guess JustcallmeASH hasn't been on for a while...

#57 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:51 PM

On my alt account DropshipPilot..It took me 61 games in a Medium Mech to complete the event

https://mwomercs.com...r=Dropshippilot

Posted Image

#58 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:44 AM

View PostEurystheus, on 02 August 2019 - 02:57 PM, said:

Then you're not the kind of player he's complaining about. He's talking about advice-immune specimens.

Most of the time, you need to control the map and play to your team's advantages (if you have a lot of fast mechs, it makes sense to go for an early cap advantage, then regroup; conversely if you're unable to outcap the enemy you need to thin the herd before you can get a cap advantage)

And that solo who went capping on the edge of the map in a Direwolf? Isn't helping. He's too slow to be useful at capping and too out of position to contribute in combat.

Controlling the top gives you a defensible position with limited avenues of approach.
If a team gets a lot of firepower up top and holds that position instead of chasing squirrels, it becomes quite difficult to smoke them out of there.

View PostKroete, on 03 August 2019 - 12:36 AM, said:

This is a team game. Their personal definition of fun doesn't entitle them to **** over the fun of their 11 teammates.
In fact, your argument could be directly applied in defense of teamkilling - the TKer, after all, is having fun!

Edited by Horseman, 05 August 2019 - 12:45 AM.

#59 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 512 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 03:02 AM

View PostAlienized, on 04 August 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

its hard because you gotta play with too many damn morons killing each fun you could have.

Fun fact, i recently started to change the loadout on some of my heavy and assault mechs, equipping them with bigger engines for faster speed to match the constantly nascar ******** in QP. XL400 in a Charger 1A1 = 81kph.
The sad thing is, it´s working. Because i don´t have to rely on teamwork or any kind of support. Posted Image
Second sad thing, because i can do my damage and kills, my team doesn´t loose so often. I can carry my team, because i don´t need them ... Posted Image

#60 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:51 AM

View PostWishmast3r, on 05 August 2019 - 03:02 AM, said:

Fun fact, i recently started to change the loadout on some of my heavy and assault mechs, equipping them with bigger engines for faster speed to match the constantly nascar ******** in QP. XL400 in a Charger 1A1 = 81kph.
The sad thing is, it´s working. Because i don´t have to rely on teamwork or any kind of support. Posted Image
Second sad thing, because i can do my damage and kills, my team doesn´t loose so often. I can carry my team, because i don´t need them ... Posted Image

i got a charger 3K with a XL engine (dunno the rating), goes 73 but has 4 jj's at least and skilled them too. 3 lpl's + mrm 20.
just play it like a heavy. same goes for the victors.

they arent frontline mechs and shouldnt be played that way. its all chickenrunning now, picking the enemy you like the most and dont get caught first, no one will turn around to help.

this is what pisses me off so badly and what makes most mechs so "useless". not because they are bad but the players are.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users