448 replies to this topic

#381 Gilgamecc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:05 AM

View PostGilgamecc, on 22 August 2019 - 07:15 AM, said:

Oh yeah, this match last night saw me fire my final salvo of SRMs not a whole second before I was downed. Beautiful

https://cdn.discorda...19-21.00.57.jpg

Posted Image

Had to get on desktop to post the pic

#382 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:40 AM

View PostTiantara, on 21 August 2019 - 10:04 PM, said:

- That all about I said in previous comments. If I can deliver more damage and more accurate than pilots near me, why I need to run in not acceptable for my mech range and share armor to draw attention on me while others shoot into the air?

That's a pretty big assumption on your part, that you can deliver more damage and more accurately than pilots around you. Based on your stats, you should assume the opposite.

#383 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:03 AM

No one is buying "bad on purpose" either :/

#384 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:31 AM

View PostYueFei, on 21 August 2019 - 11:21 PM, said:

Focus fire is about deleting enemy mechs as efficiently as possible, armor sharing is about preventing that focus-fire from happening. I think we both agree.

No I don't agree for this reason.
Armour sharing works when focus fire is meh
If focus fire is good, that mech would be dead on the first volley and unable to rotate to the back.

I don't watch top level teams, I watch EMP. Dead first volley

When I say Focus fire I mean dead first volley
Armour sharing won't help in this case, and isnt a defense against First volley dead Focus Fire

I admit I dont watch alot of EMP play but what play I have watched, they mostly draw fire and only armour share when theirs a stuff up.

I aint got time to watch all the top teams , so I just watch EMP.
They are moi guide. Edit: Reason I am 90% something filthy casual with minimal effort. Posted Image

Admittedly most teams can't First volley dead Focus Fire on a consistent basis and armour sharing is usefull.

But I'd rather have a bunch of team mates that can First volley dead Focus Fire than a bunch of armour sharers.

Actually when I hear a team go on and on about armour sharing , my first thought is that their aim probably sux.

Edit: And they can't trade worth a crap.

Sorry I'm giving up smoking and am a bit blunt as a result. ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 22 August 2019 - 12:26 PM.

#385 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:38 AM

You aren't watching closely, or you're cherry picking matches where there is a huge skill disparity and they can style on their opponents.

#386 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:46 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 21 August 2019 - 09:02 PM, said:

It's because they get by with hand-eye coordination at first, then develop tactics by trial and error - this leads to generally good tactics, but also often causes uberitis. Note how much of Kusok's responses are simply ex cathedra pronouncements. He's not actually making an argument - he's presenting his opinion as fact. But while his stats show an effective player, his argument is only partially correct because of the exact same error that the OP made - disregarding the impact that damage rotation has on firepower, and thus being able to shoot as a team.

Uberitis is a terrifying illness.

Think the actual reason that 99%er does it is this...

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 21 August 2019 - 03:26 PM, said:

....an assumption that all player on the team have equal potential contribution. However due to obvious skill difference between players it is just not so. In that context for example me sharing armor in order to prolong the life of someone who is significantly lower skill level might very well actually be counter-productive towards winning. I.e. even alone against 2 enemies I will be able to do more having full armor than me and say 40% percentile chap together while having half the armor both.

Now personally I don't give a sh*t and would still share armor in hopes of the other guy actually being usful, but still ... I know that it had bitten me in the azz more times than I can count. Its tricky ... you know all the "good" and "bad" players by now, but the middle ground of the playerbase is like a random numbers generator - sometimes they'll do the right thing and sometimes they'll decide to screw you and themselves over.

IMO dat 99%er tried it the other way and emperically found that it suxed and that they could win more by shooting rather than sharing armour with a team of 50%ers.

How do I know this, well first its an opinion

And second I do it my self, I'll explain, At the start of a match it's fairly easy to tell the team quality.
If team quality bad I use the shoot as much as I can whilst using the team as a distraction stratergy
If team is good I use Focus Fire and DrawFire/ArmourSharing strategy.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 22 August 2019 - 11:53 AM.

#387 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:50 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 22 August 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

....You aren't watching closely, or you're cherry picking matches where there is a huge skill disparity and they can style on their opponents.

Cherry Pick, well I hardly watch EMP except World Championship semi and finals some years back
That good enough ? (Yes skill gap)
2ndEdit: I seen them mostly trade and draw fire, not so much share armour.

And Of course
Im talking about pug queue after all, where skill disparity is the norm.

Edit: But I agree, when skill gap is non existant your team needs every trick in the book to win and one of them tricks is DrawingFire/ArmourSharing

Also I've seen it
MOST TEAM SUX AT DEAD FIRST VOLLEY FOCUS FIRE.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 22 August 2019 - 11:57 AM.

#388 Gilgamecc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:11 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 22 August 2019 - 11:46 AM, said:

Think the actual reason that 99%er does it is this...

IMO dat 99%er tried it the other way and emperically found that it suxed and that they could win more by shooting rather than sharing armour with a team of 50%ers.

How do I know this, well first its an opinion

And second I do it my self, I'll explain, At the start of a match it's fairly easy to tell the team quality.
If team quality bad I use the shoot as much as I can whilst using the team as a distraction stratergy
If team is good I use Focus Fire and DrawFire/ArmourSharing strategy.

Edit: Spelling

We've gone over this before in this very thread, but 'armor sharing' does not mean volunteering free shots to the enemy team.

#389 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:16 PM

Of course

But what does that have to do with what I said.
I said I win more if I adjust my strategy depending on the skill gap between me and the rest of my team - Solo
Que

Edit: Group/Comp of course different, you do team stratergy, what ever that may be.

Other wise please point it out where I said armor sharing' means volunteering free shots to the enemy team.

Posted Image

Edit: And I think you copy pasta answer from real T1 Posted Image

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 22 August 2019 - 12:22 PM.

#390 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:13 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 22 August 2019 - 11:31 AM, said:

No I don't agree for this reason.
Armour sharing works when focus fire is meh
If focus fire is good, that mech would be dead on the first volley and unable to rotate to the back.

I don't watch top level teams, I watch EMP. Dead first volley

When I say Focus fire I mean dead first volley
Armour sharing won't help in this case, and isnt a defense against First volley dead Focus Fire

I admit I dont watch alot of EMP play but what play I have watched, they mostly draw fire and only armour share when theirs a stuff up.

I aint got time to watch all the top teams , so I just watch EMP.
They are moi guide. Edit: Reason I am 90% something filthy casual with minimal effort. Posted Image

Admittedly most teams can't First volley dead Focus Fire on a consistent basis and armour sharing is usefull.

But I'd rather have a bunch of team mates that can First volley dead Focus Fire than a bunch of armour sharers.

Actually when I hear a team go on and on about armour sharing , my first thought is that their aim probably sux.

Edit: And they can't trade worth a crap.

Sorry I'm giving up smoking and am a bit blunt as a result. ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG

Are you saying that focus-fire is always possible to do on every single salvo a team fires? Are you claiming thus that focus-fire is always impossible to avoid as a recipient?

That's clearly a farcical claim. Tactically "slicing-the-pie" when cornering is a simple way of avoiding getting hit by focus-fire.

Hence, since it is indeed possible for pilots in this game to avoid getting insta-gibbed by focus-fire, armor sharing matters.

#391 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,615 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:36 PM

View PostTiantara, on 22 August 2019 - 01:06 AM, said:

- Best if everything depends on pilot. But if you loose not because you play bad, but because whole team got wiped - that a bit another thing. Its all about random and how lucky you are to get nice and smart team in whole.

Uh, no. You will have times when your team performs better than you, and times when the team drags you down like a boat anchor - but over time, your performance is the key. If I play in the 80th percentile of players, I'll win more than if I play in the 40th percentile. Don't make the mistake of focusing on the possibility of good or bad teams; those will happen, but over time they will even out.

This is why people are using the Jarl's list to skill check you, because it measures your performance over time, and cuts past your perception of whether or not you did well on whatever matches you happen to remember.

#392 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:40 PM

View PostYueFei, on 22 August 2019 - 05:13 PM, said:

Are you saying that focus-fire is always possible to do on every single salvo a team fires? Are you claiming thus that focus-fire is always impossible to avoid as a recipient?

..Some deflection bla bla bla...

Que Eye roll

Thats you implying

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 09 September 2018 - 05:31 AM, said:

.....Stuff, Guid Stuff.......
Tip Two:Aim is Important

Every time you miss, you double your heat, you risk yourself without gain, tactical missing aka suppression is ok, I mean better than having cold guns!!!!!!
Taking care to aim for the same component means you kill that guy in 2 shots not 5.

Put Effort into your aiming, the results are huge and less heat

Tip Three :Spread Damage

Your mech has a lot of Armour!!!!! But its not a single pool of armour, so you need to present the enemy with your strongest side and swap to the next strongestside as armour is depleted. When weak use team mates armour to shield you, stay alive STEP1 to continue making an effect.

Use all your armour to live longer

Tip Six:Shoot your team mates target,

Lots of advanatages, you may accidently Focus fire/kill secure-steal and decrease the TTL of enemy mechs. WIN, WIN, WIN

Don't wait for a call!!!!
You see a red mech being shot, add your fire to it asap if you have a firing solution and the heat to spare.
So many times I see guys just watch like their waiting for something.

Every time you don't shoot at a team mates target is an opportunity missed for a quick kill.

Tip Nine:Poke/Peek/Trade when your team mates poke/peek/trade.
Poking simultaneously (in unison) with team mates increases your chances of doing damage without recieving damage.

For example:
-One mech pokes - 100% chance of being singled out and focused by incoming fire.
-Two mechs poke - 50% chance of each mech being singled out and focused by incoming fire.
-Three mechs poke - 33% chance of each mech being singled out and focused by incoming fire.
-etc, etc, etc,etc ,etc ,etc, etc, etc
-Twelve mechs poke - 8% chance of each mech being singled out and focused by incoming fire.

50% is a lot less than 100% chance of being rekt....Rioght!!!!!

Poking simultaneously means you present the enemy with a target rich environment and reduce the risk of incoming fire singling out any one blue mech whilst creating an opportunity to focus fire an enemy mech.

That was like a year ago Posted Image
To be clear, this is what I say and always said, to spare you having to imply otherwise

Have some tips

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 22 August 2019 - 11:41 PM.

#393 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:53 PM

Q: When you move up and take damage, do you move back if you've taken too much damage?

How much damage can you apply after you've died?

#394 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:56 PM

Big ole Tip Three :Spread Damage

You even read it.

The answer is out their.

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 09 September 2018 - 05:31 AM, said:

This thread is for Solo Queue, a real Keep it simple 1o steps and rock it type of deal coz info overload is a thing.

When u get guid @it, groups aint a big change as you will have a large arsenal of skills to complement your group play.

The reverse often is not true. Go to a solo match expecting the same level of cooperation...Mmmmmm!!!

I'll start from IMO the ezest and most bang for your buck.

Tip One:Don't Die

Good advice from the church of Skill. Can't make an effect if your dead!!!!!!
aka: being Right by Yourself is worse than being wrong wid 11 guys shooting the same target!!!!!!!!!!!! You ever see the EMPra's finest make a sacrifice plays apart from sacrificing red sticky Doritos, I think not.

Follow wid the random/stupeed

Tip Two:Aim is Important

Every time you miss, you double your heat, you risk yourself without gain, tactical missing aka suppression is ok, I mean better than having cold guns!!!!!!
Taking care to aim for the same component means you kill that guy in 2 shots not 5.

Put Effort into your aiming, the results are huge and less heat

Your mech has a lot of Armour!!!!! But its not a single pool of armour, so you need to present the enemy with your strongest side and swap to the next strongestside as armour is depleted. When weak use team mates armour to shield you, stay alive STEP1 to continue making an effect.

Tip Four :Gauge your teams Quality

In solo queue this is one of the most important skills as it detemines your strategy.

Moi stratergies , use or make up ur own all guid.
Bad team unwilling: meatshield strategy ( If it helps carry you get moar CBills Posted Image)
Half team Lerm boats: poke and meat shield strategy. ( If it helps carry you get moar CBills Posted Image)
Novice team but Willing: Herd Cats, guide, kill by example and support strategy
Decent guys: Make calls kill stuff strategy
Guid Pilots: Follow the pain train and weapons impacts (aka laser beams) strategy

Your teams merits or lack of should guide your actions/tactics/stratergies FTW.

Tip Five:Gauge your enemies Quality,

Over time you will recognize indicators of the enemy teams quality such as weaker teams are split and scattered, Reds who turn tail when their teams engaged is an other one.
Weaker opponents allow you to be bolder and employ risker stratergies and tactics that will get you clobbered against guid playas.

Be Bold against the weaker teams and play safe against stronger teams.

If the enemies making a mistake, don't interrupt them.

Tip Six:Shoot your team mates target,

Lots of advanatages, you may accidently Focus fire/kill secure-steal and decrease the TTL of enemy mechs. WIN, WIN, WIN

Don't wait for a call!!!!
You see a red mech being shot, add your fire to it asap if you have a firing solution and the heat to spare.
So many times I see guys just watch like their waiting for something.

Every time you don't shoot at a team mates target is an opportunity missed for a quick kill.

Tip Seven:Change mechs/playstyle when not doing so good

Ask yourself why your doing not so good, why your dieing, doing poor damage or other wise under performing.
You cant change your team directly, but you can change yourself to counter the current environmental trends and patterns
For example

- Keep getting tight maps like Solaris City - Bring a brawler, something to filll choke points with lead, RAC, MRM, UAC's etc
- Keep getting open maps like Alpine - Bring a long ranged poker or narc/lermer
- lots of assault mechs, they are good narc bait or a light back stabber
- lots of lights mechs, bring streaks or front loaded pin point weapons like gauss,ballistics, ppc's, boated small pulse and med pulse
- Team mates hanging back - hang back with them and use them as a distraction while you shoot their targets.
- etc etc etc

Repeating the same thing thats not working is dumb so change it up

Tip Eight:Keep your work rate high
The more you shoot, the more damage you can do.Simple.
Shoot twice as often as the enemy means you have twice the damage output potiental

Even a miss whilst not ideal can shape the enemies actions to your advantage.
Work more then the enemy usually means win more too.

SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT, Aka Run Hot or Die

Tip Nine:Poke/Peek/Trade when your team mates poke/peek/trade.
Poking simultaneously (in unison) with team mates increases your chances of doing damage without recieving damage.

For example:
-One mech pokes - 100% chance of being singled out and focused by incoming fire.
-Two mechs poke - 50% chance of each mech being singled out and focused by incoming fire.
-Three mechs poke - 33% chance of each mech being singled out and focused by incoming fire.
-etc, etc, etc,etc ,etc ,etc, etc, etc
-Twelve mechs poke - 8% chance of each mech being singled out and focused by incoming fire.

50% is a lot less than 100% chance of being rekt....Rioght!!!!!

Poking simultaneously means you present the enemy with a target rich environment and reduce the risk of incoming fire singling out any one blue mech whilst creating an opportunity to focus fire an enemy mech.

Tip 1o :Minimise risk/Maximise Benefit

Do things that provide most benifit with the least risk.
Some tips to minimise risk are:

-Avoid 1v1 fights - unless theirs a skill/mech mis-match you will get badly damaged even if you kill the enemy.
-Avoid fighting against more than one mech by your self - see above .
-Seek to gang up on isolated/distracted enemies.
-Give Yolo mechs a quick death and your team a quick kill lead.
-Use mech lab to make mechh builds to maximize strengths and minimized risks aka situational mech builds vs independent mech builds.
-Attack the enemies weak side (Mech/flank) not its strong side.
-When your mech is rekt and your teams going to win any way avoid getting killed for no good reason...Ma Stats Mang
-Stay with your team (Check your mini map often)

In Summary these are the tips I live by when not derping around have given me reasonable effectivness in Solo Queue and I hope they help you too.

Please add stuff if u want but if you can keep it simple and short that would be great.
No negging, peer review and stuff

Keeping it in the just the TIP format would satisfy moi OCD, thanks Posted Image

Did I say 1o ..doh!!!!!! (Edit: Its done)

Here is all the tips so I don't have to answer any more sheet questions from bad forum warriors

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 22 August 2019 - 11:59 PM.

#395 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:59 PM

So, not going to actually answer. Cool.

If you move up with a group, take damage, and move back when you've taken too much damage to preserve yourself you've been health pooling.

#396 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:02 AM

Maybe you wear specticles Posted Image
Edit: Here is your answer you missed

Your mech has a lot of Armour!!!!!
But its not a single pool of armour, so you need to present the enemy with your strongest side and swap to the next strongestside as armour is depleted.

When weak use team mates armour to shield you, stay alive STEP1 to continue making an effect.

If you cannot see answer I can not help you further

Edit: Sheet troll iz Sheet and lazy too

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 23 August 2019 - 12:32 AM.

#397 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:09 AM

Its like every time you post you're proving my point harder. But thanks for the illuminating description of soaking and how it applies to and is a fundamental concept in health pooling.

Edited by Prototelis, 23 August 2019 - 12:11 AM.

#398 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:12 AM

Oh so the point is yours and yours alone, I see , maybe you didnt read my quote from a year ago

And well dude thats like your opinion

Thanks for sharing your deflection.

Lightsaber Humms

Come on give me another one Muhahaha Posted Image

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 23 August 2019 - 12:15 AM.

#399 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:16 AM

It isn't an opinion, this is easily observable in game. You're already doing it, and apparently don't know it.

You seem to think of health pooling as recklessly throwing yourself into the enemy team. That's just stupid and its already been discussed in this thread how that isn't what people are talking about when they talk about health pooling/armor sharing.

The easiest way to win is to present more targets than you are being presented with; health pooling and damage pooling are fundamentally related concepts; you cannot do one without the other.

#400 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:24 AM

Mang if I don't know, why did I write it a year ago.

Also if your are going to accuse me of " think of health pooling as recklessly throwing yourself into the enemy team" you should quote me where I said that.

Quote me, is all I ask and then we can discuss the matter of how you misinterpreted what I said.

Otherwise you have no evidence of me thinking of health pooling as recklessly throwing yourself into the enemy team and so your post is invalid and a poor attempt to neg me.

Evidence or it didn't happen

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 23 August 2019 - 12:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users