#261 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 23 August 2019 - 11:42 AM, said:

The only Assaults I play regularly top out at 55 kph. I'm almost always at the front of the group.

You getting abandoned is a you problem.

eh i barely play assaults slower than 64 kph Posted Image Posted Image

but yeah, most people totally lack map knowledge/awareness to use slow assaults properly or how to move them.

Edited by Alienized, 23 August 2019 - 12:21 PM.

#262 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:07 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 23 August 2019 - 04:45 AM, said:

There is being effective then there is perceived backlash from players across the board. The PSR thresholds would also need to be upped, ensuring a slower rise and as well as having a higher possibility of losing PSR. Even with some changes imho PGI would be hesitate in making that big of a change by doing complete reseeding. Said players though could be dropped back to Tier 3, and with a revised PSR

Now if the MM were to utilize Matchscore initially within Tier 1 and 2, then opening it to Tier 3 before opening up the MS bracket, and with a revised PSR thresholds, even those of us who do not perform will be dropped down in tiers, with the more games being played, the quicker it would happen.

But it would be better to get changes in before MW5 is released, and not just with MM/PSR. With MWO in "maintenance mode" .. well... Posted Image

When has PGI backed away from backlash? Engine desync, killing poptarting, nerfing Timby, Kodi and other mechs into the ground, the rescalening......

I also doubt there would be an overflow of terribads screaming cause they are back in tier five, sure there may be a few, but they would finally be getting games where they weren't completely useless and most likely would be having a lot more fun not getting their **** kicked in all the time.

#263 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:50 AM

View PostFeral Clown, on 23 August 2019 - 05:07 PM, said:

...there would be an overflow ...., sure there may be a few....

A few or a overflow? Cant be both ...

But all the tiers is ******** if you dont have lots of them and every tier is a bucket that divides the playerbase futher.
If you want tiers, then go for the normal distribution.

Means the 10% people with the lowest ams are tier 1, the 10% with the highest ams are tier 3 and the rest will be tier 2 with nearly no waittimes.
The biggest problems for even matches are the outliers, the players in the top or bottom, they screw the balance of matches by beeing much better or worse then the average. Putting them in seperated queues would make the matches for all players better, but the outliers would have long waittimes.

Or you can go for an adaptive matchmaker based on average matchscore without any tiers.
It tooks the first top 6 from each wheightclass from the queue and divides them as even as possible to the two teams. Next match takes the next 24 players but from the bottom, then from the top again and so on.
This way you will allways be matched with the people nearest to your average matchscore and the teams will be more even.

The important part is taking 24 (or 4x6 if you take wheightclasses) people and then dividing them even and not filling one team then the second as we have it now. Just think about school sports and team distribution by alternate picking. Maybe this small change would be enough to make the current system a little better?

Edited by Kroete, 26 August 2019 - 03:15 AM.

#264 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:02 AM

At first I thought ppl splitting in horror movies, separating from group to get owned individually was a poor depiction of human behavior. Surely one would see the reason in an army vs the monster as opposed to individual slaughter. But if you lool at e.g games, or look at mwo, then this irrational behavior is very much present in basically every single qp match.

By now Id estimate that roughly 75 - 85 % of QP puggers dont understand the difference between one mech vs many mechs and many mechs vs many mechs. I know this sounds a bit fufu but I honestly believe the majority of players dont truely understand the difference. As weird as it sounds cause its an easy to grasp concept one would think. But most players dont understand that difference.

#265 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:20 AM

View PostKroete, on 26 August 2019 - 02:50 AM, said:

A few or a overflow? Cant be both ...

But all the tiers is ******** if you dont have lots of them and every tier is a bucket that divides the playerbase futher.
If you want tiers, then go for the normal distribution.

Means the 10% people with the lowest ams are tier 1, the 10% with the highest ams are tier 3 and the rest will be tier 2 with nearly no waittimes.
The biggest problems for even matches are the outliers, the players in the top or bottom, they screw the balance of matches by beeing much better or worse then the average. Putting them in seperated queues would make the matches for all players better, but the outliers would have long waittimes.

Or you can go for an adaptive matchmaker based on average matchscore without any tiers.
It tooks the first top 6 from each wheightclass from the queue and divides them as even as possible to the two teams. Next match takes the next 24 players but from the bottom, then from the top again and so on.
This way you will allways be matched with the people nearest to your average matchscore and the teams will be more even.

The important part is taking 24 (or 4x6 if you take wheightclasses) people and then dividing them even and not filling one team then the second as we have it now. Just think about school sports and team distribution by alternate picking. Maybe this small change would be enough to make the current system a little better?

To be clear I said doubt there'd be an overflow and might be a few. A few not being representative of an overflow.

And I wouldn't care if they put people in tiers they belong in and opened the gates to let teams be made up of a balance of those tiers.

#266 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:44 PM

Last Match after Months ,in my Team was a Annihilator with only a Single RAC2 and a RAC5 Posted Image and 700/1000 ammunition ...thats was strumbled in the Tiers.All the Tiers useless with new Pilots thats have nothing Sense for the Game or Mechs

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 30 August 2019 - 08:46 PM.

#267 TrowaBarton

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:56 PM

I finally started playing this game and having played a bunch of matches:

1) you never know if the other side is going to be filled with merc team members all coordinated on discord or teamspeak and run circles around the hodgepodge of people you're placed with. Quick loss.

2) you never know how many just joined yesterday new players you're going to get placed with (new players are good, but the matchmaking doesnt take that into account). Quick loss if too many.

3) Every other game is a disconnect on your side and the game does not factor this in

4) Every other game people are camping or hiding and there is no way to even report this, because PGI only cares about AFK. There is no deterrent to camping or hiding besides team mates yelling at eachother.

5) the tiering system is garbage. besides not working you can get ok damage per game and several kills and if your team lost it will still downgrade your pilot skill rating, but you can get rushed in the first minute, have your team win and not lose skill rating

IDK how these have been handled in the last few years, because I finally got into this game MW4 Vengeance being the last one I played. I would like a FFA mode like MW4, because it can consistently not be a 1 against 5 match and comms not being shared it would break the ability of coordinated teams to just farm players that are not part of coordinated teams and make them get discouraged and quit playing because they don't have a drop deck for faction war play.

In my mind, teams are for faction war play and FFA should be for instant action

Edited by TrowaBarton, 08 January 2020 - 08:02 PM.

#268 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:08 AM

View PostTrowaBarton, on 08 January 2020 - 07:56 PM, said:

5) the tiering system is garbage. besides not working you can get ok damage per game and several kills and if your team lost it will still downgrade your pilot skill rating, but you can get rushed in the first minute, have your team win and not lose skill rating
That is more or less the root of all bad matches.

#269 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,575 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:17 AM

1) you never know if the other side is going to be filled with merc team members all coordinated on discord or teamspeak and run circles around the hodgepodge of people you're placed with. Quick loss.

Although sync-dropping surely exists, I have rarely seen more two players from the same group being on the same side, although I do not care about it too much. And I think that seeing three or more players from the same group (playing for the same side) is even rarer.

2) you never know how many just joined yesterday new players you're going to get placed with (new players are good, but the matchmaking doesnt take that into account). Quick loss if too many.

If I remember correctly, new players typically play with other Tier 3-5 players. As you said, you can never know for how long your team mates are playing MWO.

It is quite possible that they are long-time players who are testing new 'Mech configurations, riding unskilled 'Mechs, etc.

3) Every other game is a disconnect on your side and the game does not factor this in

I am afraid that you are showing confirmation bias.

You remember losing because your team was one player short. Do you remember equally well when your team won because the enemy team had one player less?

4) Every other game people are camping or hiding and there is no way to even report this, because PGI only cares about AFK. There is no deterrent to camping or hiding besides team mates yelling at eachother.

Various tactics can lead to success. A good sniper can significantly influence the result of the game.

As for hiding, it is against the rules (in certain situations) and you can report such players.

I beg to differ. Good damage and several kills mean that your PSR will go up.

Check this pair of screenshots:
1. Being on the losing side, doing OK damage and having several kills ...
Posted Image

2. ... and my PSR rising.
Posted Image

As for being killed in the first minute and your team winning: You PSR will not go down, that is true - but it will not go up either.

IDK how these have been handled in the last few years, because I finally got into this game MW4 Vengeance being the last one I played. I would like a FFA mode like MW4, because it can consistently not be a 1 against 5 match and comms not being shared it would break the ability of coordinated teams to just farm players that are not part of coordinated teams and make them get discouraged and quit playing because they don't have a drop deck for faction war play.

I think that this would be a discussion for a different thread.

Edited by martian, 09 January 2020 - 09:20 AM.

#270 TrowaBarton

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:22 AM

View Postmartian, on 09 January 2020 - 09:17 AM, said:

Although sync-dropping surely exists, I have rarely seen more two players from the same group being on the same side, although I do not care about it too much. And I think that seeing three or more players from the same group (playing for the same side) is even rarer.

If I remember correctly, new players typically play with other Tier 3-5 players. As you said, you can never know for how long your team mates are playing MWO.

It is quite possible that they are long-time players who are testing new 'Mech configurations, riding unskilled 'Mechs, etc.

Ok, so more common I have seen situations where only one member of my team is in a merc unit, but the other team is an alphabet soup of merc teams and they're extremely coordinated and run circles around my team as we try to put together a strategy. Then half the team runs off and it's really a one sided battle.

I am afraid that you are showing confirmation bias.

You remember losing because your team was one player short. Do you remember equally well when your team won because the enemy team had one player less?

It can make a huge difference when that disconnect is a heavy or an assault. 2/3 of the mechs in the game are easily targetable with heavy weapons by anything that moves slower than ~100kph.

Various tactics can lead to success. A good sniper can significantly influence the result of the game.

I am talking about LRMers that can't get locks from other players so they just sit in the back waiting for locks that never come, then get taken out when the rest of the team gets taken out

As for hiding, it is against the rules (in certain situations) and you can report such players.

There should be a report function for it, but it's not under non participation

I beg to differ. Good damage and several kills mean that your PSR will go up.

1. Being on the losing side, doing OK damage and having several kills ...
Posted Image

2. ... and my PSR rising.
Posted Image

As for being killed in the first minute and your team winning: You PSR will not go down, that is true - but it will not go up either.

I've experienced it going up even if I only was able to focus on one mech and get maybe 60 or 100 damage before being taken out (and my team won), but that is not as big a point as the tiering system being biased based on team win or loss. Win or loss should yield the exact same result (in terms of skill rating) and go off of damage and kills / kill assists. I mean there was a time maybe a couple weeks ago more people were scouting and fewer mechs had AMS and I would rack up tons of damage. All I did was sit there and fire LRMS. There was little skill in it, but I hit that equal sign or jumped in skill every game. I don't play like that any more, but I think a lot of people would agree that that should not be counted as skill.

Also, those are exceptional results. Very few new or novice players will get that many solo kills in a game every game that isn't faction war. The screencap you posted shows that nobody other than you got more than 2 kills. It's not going to be favorable to newer players especially when it's not repeatable for many of them to even get a single kill. I average about 1-2 kills myself now that I've gotten more play time, but most of my loss games my team will only get 3. And that's amongst the entire team!

Edited by TrowaBarton, 10 January 2020 - 12:52 AM.

#271 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:38 AM

@TrowaBarton :- Try this. Every match you play, make sure that you get around 500 damage minimum and maybe a kill, doesn't matter if it's solo or just a scratch to land a killing blow. Try to accomplish these two regardless of what anyone does. You'll have a better time personally. You'll still lose matches, don't get me wrong. But on a personal side, you will get better results, both personally and as a team.

How to do that?

1. Don't peek at the enemy if you don't have the range.

2. Don't peek from the same spot twice. Three is pushing it and can work but never do it more than twice.

3. Bring loadouts that work in MWO and not table-top. That means no mixed builds. Bring either Brawl, knife-fighting or long/mid range.

4. Don't run straight at the enemy firing line. Preserve your mech. Don't die within a few seconds of enemy contact.

5. Shoot the enemies more times than they do you.

6. Edit:- Forgot the most important part.... USE THE MINI-MAP. EVERYTIME YOU FIRE YOUR WEAPON, IT'LL ENTER A COOLDOWN STATE. USE THIS BRIEF MOMENT TO QUICKLY GLANCE AT THE MINI-MAP TO KNOW WHERE YOUR TEAM'S GOING AND WHERE THE ENEMY MIGHT BE.

Edited by FRAGTAST1C, 10 January 2020 - 12:40 AM.

#272 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:09 AM

View PostTrowaBarton, on 10 January 2020 - 12:22 AM, said:

Ok, so more common I have seen situations where only one member of my team is in a merc unit, but the other team is an alphabet soup of merc teams and they're extremely coordinated and run circles around my team as we try to put together a strategy. Then half the team runs off and it's really a one sided battle.
Take it from someone who actually finds himself on "alphabet soup" teams frequently: coordination barely exists when it does at all.
Any idiot can create a "merc unit" in this game. That doesn't automatically make them competent.
Even actual units greatly vary in quality and competence, from ones that just serve as a loose social gathering for a group of pals up to ones that actively field competitive teams.

Try Griefing -> Assisting the enemy. Or take screenshots and send a direct report to PGI.

#273 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:52 AM

how to recognize a trash team: look in the mirror.

#274 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:34 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 10 January 2020 - 07:52 AM, said:

how to recognize a trash team: look in the mirror.

That was certainly me last night, six straight sub-100 damage matches...ugh.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#275 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,575 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:18 AM

Do not let the fact that some players have a group designator in front of their name deterr you. Some groups consist of players of average quality.

Just check this yesterday's screenshot. We kept our spirits up, took the initiative and as you can see, we defeated a team composed almost entirely (11/12) of "group" players.
Posted Image

It can make a huge difference when that disconnect is a heavy or an assault. 2/3 of the mechs in the game are easily targetable with heavy weapons by anything that moves slower than ~100kph.

And do know who must work harder to offset that disconnected player? You and your team mates ...

Giving up in the moment, when you see that somebody is DC, is the shortest way to actually lose the game.

Of course, there is always a possibility that the DC-ed player will re-connect.

1) We started the game with three discos, so it was 9:12 right from the beginning. Please note that two of our discos are Heavy 'Mechs, the third one is a medium 'Mech:
Posted Image

2) Two of them reconnected eventually during the game and we won. Keep fighting and everything will be O.K.
Posted Image

I am talking about LRMers that can't get locks from other players so they just sit in the back waiting for locks that never come, then get taken out when the rest of the team gets taken out

Being a bad player or a player using sub-optimal weapons in not against the rules. You may not like it, but there is nothing what you can do with it.

Click on players and and chose from two options:
1) Hiding in the corner of the map and shutting down is the same as helping the enemy team achieving their goal.
Posted Image

2) Or you can report it as nonparticipation.
Posted Image

3) Or you can use this e-mail: moderation@mwomercs.com
Do not forget to attach a screenshot, so the support wil have info about date, map, etc.

I've experienced it going up even if I only was able to focus on one mech and get maybe 60 or 100 damage before being taken out (and my team won), but that is not as big a point as the tiering system being biased based on team win or loss. Win or loss should yield the exact same result (in terms of skill rating) and go off of damage and kills / kill assists. I mean there was a time maybe a couple weeks ago more people were scouting and fewer mechs had AMS and I would rack up tons of damage. All I did was sit there and fire LRMS. There was little skill in it, but I hit that equal sign or jumped in skill every game. I don't play like that any more, but I think a lot of people would agree that that should not be counted as skill.

Like it or not, the PSR and Tier system is not going to change any time soon. Sorry.

Also, those are exceptional results. Very few new or novice players will get that many solo kills in a game every game that isn't faction war. The screencap you posted shows that nobody other than you got more than 2 kills. It's not going to be favorable to newer players especially when it's not repeatable for many of them to even get a single kill. I average about 1-2 kills myself now that I've gotten more play time, but most of my loss games my team will only get 3. And that's amongst the entire team!

I am certain that if you persevere, your PSR will rise no matter if your team wins or loses.

Edited by martian, 10 January 2020 - 09:20 AM.

#276 TrowaBarton

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 11:18 PM

So, I'm hearing what people are saying. I hadn't considered that report option. There are some good tips too. I was following a lot of them (survive, be cautious, only stick out when you're going to shoot, stay with numbers) but those were helpful.

I'm looking now and there are lots of previous threads from the years about the matchmaker and PSR system. I know I just did a match got 2 solo kills, sub 300 damage, kill assists and have noticed that 500 damage seems to prevent downgrading of PSR, but in this last game I was constantly broadsiding mechs with all of my weapons, got the kills, but didn't clear even 300 damage where my LRM build would repeatable do 5-600. This is with heavy rotaries, multiple SRMs, multiple medium lasers, etc that build a lot of spread damage and using them constantly during the match. It makes sense for that to register as good skill, but had my team not won it would not have registered the same.

It's just that PSR is not going to change I guess from what people here are saying and all these forum threads I've been reading. Again, I do faction war now, so I get much more damage when there is a coordinated push than I would from a single quick match, but I think newer, more casual players are going to get disheartened and leave, then very few people, the top people who can get 3-4 kills a game are going to be the only people playing the quick matches, because there is inadequate separation between them and the other players. Then, whoever is left might as well be playing faction war anyway.

I also don't consider bad teams to be "trash teams" but this was the most recent thread I could find for it. I think FFA is a solution and commented in another thread specifically for that topic. It's probably that the PSR system is greatly flawed if the definition of greatly flawed is that inability to separate better and worse players from each other based on metrics that make sense more than pure numbers and it's just accepting that it's going to stay very flawed. I'm glad that the game exists, but who knows for how long. MW5 seems to be doing ok, so hopefully they made some money off of that and will invest in MWO. I'd like to see better tiering and consistent teams, some kind of consistency, even if that consistency is stripping away the PSR system entirely, disabling comms, and having it be everyone for themselves. But that's for another thread.

Edited by TrowaBarton, 10 January 2020 - 11:22 PM.

#277 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,575 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 02:12 AM

View PostTrowaBarton, on 10 January 2020 - 11:18 PM, said:

I'm looking now and there are lots of previous threads from the years about the matchmaker and PSR system. I know I just did a match got 2 solo kills, sub 300 damage, kill assists and have noticed that 500 damage seems to prevent downgrading of PSR, but in this last game I was constantly broadsiding mechs with all of my weapons, got the kills, but didn't clear even 300 damage where my LRM build would repeatable do 5-600. This is with heavy rotaries, multiple SRMs, multiple medium lasers, etc that build a lot of spread damage and using them constantly during the match. It makes sense for that to register as good skill, but had my team not won it would not have registered the same.

If I may recommend something:
1) Use UAVs, even when brawling. They improve the situational awareness - both your and your team's. Plus, those LRM boats can be useful for once. It is easier to battle enemy 'Mechs if they are constantly thrown off-balance by LRMs - definitely easier than if they can concentrate on you.

And of course, you will have a better score and thus improve your PSR.

2) Sometimes it is better to do less damage and dispatch enemy 'Mechs quickly with accurate and concentrated fire than do a lot of LRM/ATM/LBX damage, sandblasting enemy 'Mechs without actually killing them and lose the game because those surviving enemy 'Mechs can still fight, albeit damaged.

Check this yesterday's screenshot, please:
I did not achieve especially high score (although I think it was not bad in this particular drop) and especially high damage.

And yet, I had a good feeling from the game. Quick kills helped my team to concentrate on other enemy 'Mechs and start rolling the snowball.
Posted Image

It's just that PSR is not going to change I guess from what people here are saying and all these forum threads I've been reading. Again, I do faction war now, so I get much more damage when there is a coordinated push than I would from a single quick match, but I think newer, more casual players are going to get disheartened and leave, then very few people, the top people who can get 3-4 kills a game are going to be the only people playing the quick matches, because there is inadequate separation between them and the other players. Then, whoever is left might as well be playing faction war anyway.

What you are saying is partly true, but MWO has many more problems.

Note that sometimes you can earn more kills and more cash when playing rapid succession of relatively short quick-play games than you would earn in one longer CW game.

I also don't consider bad teams to be "trash teams" but this was the most recent thread I could find for it.

You can start your own thread, you know ...

Just click that "Start New Topic" button. Posted Image

#278 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 11 January 2020 - 06:47 AM

In QP: always assume you are going to have to kill all 12 enemy mechs yourself and you will never be disappointed by your teammates.

It is uncommon these days to see more than a couple of guys in a match (on either side) that you know are skilled players (or what passes for skilled these days). If they are on the enemy team, either find a way to kill them early (which generally isn’t easy, because they are skilled and not morons) or kill all the other teams scrubs then and mob the skilled guys at the end with numbers. They won’t have the heat to kill you all.

If you think you (personally) are going to need to do 700-800 damage and at least a couple of kills to deserve to win, you are in a healthier emotional place and perhaps a more realistic place (in terms of trusting your teammates). If you do less and still win, treat it like a pleasant surprise.

#279 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:45 PM

Your point number one is by and large a false assumption. The mechanics of sync dropping a large group would likely mean that BOTH sides include "merc team members" Sync drops are rare and large numbers of sync dropped players on one team is pretty much impossible to occur with a meaningful volume of occurance.

What happens when you see a steam roll happening is this (watch for it and take note)

One team advances to a point of cover that meets enemy contact and dithers about. The other team takes an aggressive posture and pokes and shoots and advances FIRST. The aggressive team makes early kills and gains an advantage followed up with more kills and a stronger advantage and then more kills and a nearly insurmountable advantage is achieved.

Or option two happens NASCAR and the team winning was randomly assigned a better team for tail chasing than the losing team and the afore mentioned advantages accrue.

#280 METAL SEPARATOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:52 PM

Sometimes, when your team getting stomped, you mange to get a kill or two just by separating from it in the beginning of the match.
So, following a group, is not always effective.

Edited by METAL SEPARATOR, 11 January 2020 - 04:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users