140 replies to this topic

#81 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:58 AM

View PostCorvus Antaka, on 08 September 2019 - 08:29 PM, said:

The biggest problem this game has is the fragmentation of the gamemodes. Quickplay could be factionplay, one integrated gamemode with units created that join factions, and every QP match is a FP drop that affects the overall map. all the FP modes and QP modes could be integrated into 1 mode - FP all the time. This would then give an overarching gamemode to the simple drop endlessly for no reason mode we have now.

This would work. Seriously.

#82 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:59 AM

View PostCorvus Antaka, on 08 September 2019 - 08:29 PM, said:

Quickplay could be factionplay, one integrated gamemode with units created that join factions, and every QP match is a FP drop that affects the overall map. all the FP modes and QP modes could be integrated into 1 mode - FP all the time. This would then give an overarching gamemode to the simple drop endlessly for no reason mode we have now.

That is exactly what PGI promised would happen in their initial design presentation of Community Warfare.

But they never delivered on it because, after lying about the state of development of Community Warfare for so long, they then had to rush something half-baked out the door after MS renewed their licence.

They never bothered to finish CW, or integrate QP into it (or add all the logistics, careers and other features they promised) because the QP Mech Pack gravy train meant they were not under any pressure to go to any developmental effort.

Edited by Appogee, 09 September 2019 - 01:01 AM.

#83 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:06 AM

View PostAntares102, on 01 September 2019 - 09:36 AM, said:

Jarl's has updated their global stats and this is the result for the player count:
https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/stats

Posted Image

I thought it would be bad but not this bad to be honest.
MWO is in a really bad shape player wise... Posted Image

F

Ah, the saying is correct: "You reap what you sow..." I said this would happen at the Skill Tree Change, right after the team I was on uninstalled and left the game..... They knew this was where we were headed. The second team I was on left 5 months later because Faction Play became so "pick a word to insert here" and it was evident that our host "simply didn't care" anymore....... And that, I seriously don't understand.....

I hate where we are and wish someone would buy this mess and start over......!!! This could be a great game......a great game!

#84 Tom Sawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:28 AM

#85 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:12 AM

The only reason I played the past few days after months of not playing is the xp bonus event. No reason to play fp at all unless you want to get farmed by the bigger groups on voice coms using the current atm tag meta. Quick play is just as crap because during events or not there is no attempt at team play so using a "support" build like lrms or building a mech skilled with sensors and full aux tree is a waste of a grind. Always go full fire power and armor to make a mech combat viable aka pgi's version of "fun."

#86 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:27 AM

View PostAsym, on 09 September 2019 - 05:06 AM, said:

Ah, the saying is correct: "You reap what you sow..." I said this would happen at the Skill Tree Change, right after the team I was on uninstalled and left the game..... They knew this was where we were headed. The second team I was on left 5 months later because Faction Play became so "pick a word to insert here" and it was evident that our host "simply didn't care" anymore....... And that, I seriously don't understand.....

I hate where we are and wish someone would buy this mess and start over......!!! This could be a great game......a great game!

Your teams seem to disappear with alarming regularity. Do you find that conversations at parties die shortly after you jump in?

#87 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:57 AM

View PostAppogee, on 09 September 2019 - 12:54 AM, said:

It's designed to give players a sense of continual advancement, a key design principle for free to play games whose revenue is dependent on ongoing purchases or subscriptions.

Really?

The intent is to protect new players from playing the most experienced players on the battlefield before they understand the game mechanics ...

#88 Michael Knell

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:16 PM

View PostBombast, on 09 September 2019 - 08:27 AM, said:

Your teams seem to disappear with alarming regularity. Do you find that conversations at parties die shortly after you jump in?

I had to login to ask you this - every post of yours I've seen on the forums in the last few months have been personal attacks on other forum members who say things that are or can be construed as anti-PGI. Why is that? Do you get off on that? What gives?

#89 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:34 PM

View PostMichael Knell, on 09 September 2019 - 02:16 PM, said:

I had to login to ask you this - every post of yours I've seen on the forums in the last few months have been personal attacks on other forum members who say things that are or can be construed as anti-PGI. Why is that? Do you get off on that? What gives?

Very few of my post have been personal attacks. Argumentative, sure, but very few. I can only assume you just haven't been paying attention.

Which would make this one of those few. Oops.

#90 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:45 PM

View PostMystere, on 09 September 2019 - 10:57 AM, said:

So, you believe their BS?

In other PGI announcements you will no doubt also welcome:
  • "This is The Year of Faction Play".
  • "There will be no slowdown in the development of MWO due to PGI working on MW5."
  • "Pre-purchasers of MW5 will receive Steam keys."
  • "There will never be 3PV in MWO, ever."
  • MW5 is being made an Epic exclusive "to provide the opportunity to ensure it meets PGI's internal design goal of creating the best Mechwarrior title ever".
  • "Every single match played in MWO will have a purpose and affect the state of the Inner Sphere".
  • "Loyalty Point tiers will be revised and increased."

Edited by Appogee, 09 September 2019 - 05:48 PM.

#91 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,093 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:14 PM

Making people pay to play private matches and to not have server to join openly with teammates drove me away honestly.

If only it had a MW4 type of lobby system as well. Sure it may fracture what's left of the player base, but at least there'd be steady quality matches. in MW4 yes you'd get some roflstomps and a lot of smurfing and all the rest of the funky shenanigans, but it was steady and with friends.

I strongly dislike going into matches blind only to find out the pre-selected mech won't work for that environment. And I understand the reasoning for balancing, but look at the potential given up not allowing said system. MW4 ran for nearly 13 years before it died off because of MWO and MekTek disappearing to do their own thing.

MWO is at what? 5? 6? 7 if you count closed beta?

Just my opinion as unpopular as it may be. I don't know anyone that plays MWO anymore. Yet I can still tell you about who played on what teams going back to 2001 in MW4 in say MWL, VL, SA, etc. MWO, heh I can really only talk about the teams from 2013-2015 lol.

Onnie

#92 JRcam4643

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:15 PM

View PostAntares102, on 01 September 2019 - 09:36 AM, said:

Jarl's has updated their global stats and this is the result for the player count:
https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/stats

Posted Image

I thought it would be bad but not this bad to be honest.
MWO is in a really bad shape player wise... Posted Image

F

I just watched a game news video that says some of these devs that have gone Epic exclusive, including MW5, appear to be in breach of contract with Valve. No sign of Valve acting on it but would be interesting if they did.

#93 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:46 PM

View PostAppogee, on 09 September 2019 - 05:45 PM, said:

So, you believe their BS?

In other PGI announcements you will no doubt also welcome:
  • "This is The Year of Faction Play".
  • "There will be no slowdown in the development of MWO due to PGI working on MW5."
  • "Pre-purchasers of MW5 will receive Steam keys."
  • "There will never be 3PV in MWO, ever."
  • MW5 is being made an Epic exclusive "to provide the opportunity to ensure it meets PGI's internal design goal of creating the best Mechwarrior title ever".
  • "Every single match played in MWO will have a purpose and affect the state of the Inner Sphere".
  • "Loyalty Point tiers will be revised and increased."

Are you saying anything and everything that PGI ever said, without any exceptions whatsoever since time immemorial, were all complete lies and nothing else? Posted Image

Just because people believe the PSR system is anything more than a means of separation does not mean it actually was such a bigger beast.

Edited by Mystere, 10 September 2019 - 04:52 PM.

#94 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:50 PM

View PostMystere, on 10 September 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

Are you saying anything and everything that PGI ever said, all of then without any exceptions whatsoever since time immemorial, were all complete lies and nothing else? Posted Image

Yes. Also, all things that PGI say that are true retro-actively become lies. The sky used to be purple, until PGI made an offhand statement about the hue and the cosmos had to change how light works to accommodate the Universal Law Of Piranha Fibbing.

#95 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:35 PM

pgi's biggest issue is letting russ do all the talking. he is terribad at pr.

#96 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:08 PM

View PostMichael Knell, on 09 September 2019 - 02:16 PM, said:

That's just the default mode of a reasonable number of people here. In related news I just found out I'd been banned for three days a couple of weeks ago and didn't even notice...

#97 progdogfoodfart303

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationoaksterdayum

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:57 PM

This is exactly what I meant about having our metastrategies nerfed into oblivion. A lot, but not all of this can be traced back to netcode malnutritions and artemis restructing agentif. Let me explain.

* Immediately after beta launch, you could hot-hop(because the reticule did not shake), pop tart, cold launch missiel doors, eccm flank etc.
* water effects, uac dps, flagrat ttk, laser range etc
* map selection, collision mesh improvements, the map that looks like it's made of bsimuth--yuo know what i'm talkin about
* IS walls that you can jampjet onto but can't pivot down to aim enough or, again, lag...

This is EXACTLY what we was warned of, but they did it(PGI before hte ipo) and they did it, and we all seen it coming, but look what happened. This is not hard to figure out. This was warned repeately. WHY??? MC injections don't do anything if there is a sonstant pilot tree or the mech grimoire is too cludgy. And there's years and years of suggestion forum posts, but still we have to have a 5 page tread about all this.

If anyone has new ideas, please tell them me it.

#98 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:58 PM

17,351 Active Players
1,425 New players

Both August stats.

So It's not like there are only 24 players playing and the game is dead.
17,000 Active players...think about that, that is larger than a lot of towns.

Rancho Mirage city

Shafter city

El Segundo city

Artesia city

Greenfield city

Santa Fe Springs city

Laguna Woods city

Truckee town

Ukiah city

Moraga town

La Palma city

Oroville city

Avenal city

Clearlake city

Pacific Grove city

Fillmore city

Imperial city

Parlier city

Tehachapi city

Ripon city

Hawaiian Gardens city

California City city

Red Bluff city

Mill Valley city

Kerman city

Palos Verdes Estates city

Coalinga city

Auburn city

Grover Beach city

Edited by GeminiWolf, 10 September 2019 - 07:04 PM.

#99 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:32 PM

View PostMystere, on 10 September 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

Are you saying anything and everything that PGI ever said, without any exceptions whatsoever since time immemorial, were all complete lies and nothing else?

No. But nice attempt to put words in my mouth as a way of trying to invalidate my point.

Two can play at that. Are you saying, despite all the clearly documented examples over the past 7 years, you still naively take PGI's word at face value? Look, here's an eyeroll to make you look even more naive Posted Image

Meanwhile, over here where the adults are having an intelligent discourse... The point was made that PGI have, and continue to, BS us regularly. Their attempt to retcon the system they actually named as Player Skill System as "no, really, it's a Player Separation System" is just another example of that.

Anyone familiar with F2P gaming knows that key to that financial model is keeping players coming back in the hope of attracting their ongoing expenditure. Providing players with the ego gratification of seeming to perpetually advance in"skill" is part of that.

Edited by Appogee, 10 September 2019 - 07:37 PM.

#100 Sigmar Sich

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:47 PM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 10 September 2019 - 06:58 PM, said:

17,351 Active Players
1,425 New players

So It's not like there are only 24 players playing and the game is dead.
17,000 Active players...think about that, that is larger than a lot of towns.

This is not enough for a multiplayer game. Especially for the one with tiered matchmaking.
Besides, half of them are probably alt accounts, so the real number is lesser.
And to be an "active player" you only have to play about 10 games in a month, so the real number of dedicated players again is lesser.

Another problem is that this number decreases each month. And much faster, since maintenance mode.

P.S. Compare this to the days when we had about quarter of a million players. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users