What Would Bring You Back?

149 replies to this topic

#1 Gakuseinozen

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:49 PM

To those of you that no longer play: what would bring you back?
Assuming that once MW5 launches, PGI re-allocates development resources back to MWO... what could they do to get you to play again?

New maps?
New mechs?
New game modes?
Faction play improvements?
Re-balancing?
etc

#2 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:03 PM

A freaking axeman with a functioning hatchet !

#3 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:03 PM

Less lore, more war.

#4 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:19 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 21 October 2019 - 03:03 PM, said:

Much Less lore eSports, much more war.

FTFY.

View PostGakuseinozen, on 21 October 2019 - 02:49 PM, said:

To those of you that no longer play: what would bring you back?

Long Tom shenanigans. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 21 October 2019 - 03:18 PM.

#5 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:20 PM

This game has no e-sports.

They have done nothing to make this game e-sports outside of hosting a couple of tournaments.

They have however made balance decisions based on arbitrary board game mechanics.

Less lore, more war.

Edited by Prototelis, 21 October 2019 - 03:22 PM.

#6 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:32 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 21 October 2019 - 03:20 PM, said:

This game has no e-sports.

They have done nothing to make this game e-sports outside of hosting a couple of tournaments.

They have however made balance decisions based on arbitrary board game mechanics.

Less lore, more war.

Just to name a few:
  • arena-style matches
  • even teams
  • mixed-tech teams (in QP)
  • "matchmaker"
  • PSR
  • Elo
  • end of match scoreboards and statistics
  • … drum roll … Solaris 7

#7 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:41 PM

View PostMystere, on 21 October 2019 - 03:32 PM, said:

• … drum roll … Solaris 7

The other parts of your post have nothing to do with esports, this one has more to do with lore than anything.

Less lore, more war.

#8 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:45 PM

Less lore, more war.

Sorry... without lore this is just another cookie-cutter stompy robot shooter. And those arbitrary board game mechanics are effectively the heart and soul of the subject matter.

The problem isn't/wasn't the lore mechanics... It is/was the ham-fisted efforts to take an IP that has obvious and intended balance issues and create a level playing field where one doesn't exist.

#9 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:47 PM

View PostDaZur, on 21 October 2019 - 03:45 PM, said:

Sorry... without lore this is just another cookie-cutter

What about battletech isn't cookie-cutter or full of tropes?

Board game mechanics informing the technical lore of the series is one of the reasons it is bad.

#10 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:52 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 21 October 2019 - 03:41 PM, said:

The other parts of your post have nothing to do with esports, this one has more to do with lore than anything.

So you're saying those undocumented/backroom meetings with the eSpurter at MechCon never happened?

Pretty sure they did. And what has been publicly made knowledgeable about those discussions.... a couple of balance tweaks and discussions regarding the eSpurts aspect of MechCon. No specifics though, because hey!, it was a back room meeting... for the eSpurters...

View PostDaZur, on 21 October 2019 - 03:45 PM, said:

The problem isn't/wasn't the lore mechanics... It is/was the ham-fisted efforts to take an IP that has obvious and intended balance issues and create a level playing field where one doesn't exist.

Most defiantly this! Adding the clans only multiplied the imbalance, expectationally.

As for me, what would bring me back, well, I never left, MWO is still my primary game. Just have a real life with bigger priorities.

#11 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:58 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 21 October 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

What about battletech isn't cookie-cutter or full of tropes?

Board game mechanics informing the technical lore of the series is one of the reasons it is bad.

No disagreement. The Battlefield universe and in specific the Mechwarrior/Battlemech aspect of it is rift with aspects to include the board-game mechanics that render the IP as an absolute bear to attempt to create a balanced/equitable arena shooter... even more so as an eSport venue.

MWO as an arena shooter was doomed from day they brought in the Clans because of it... A certain level of balanced/equity could have been achieved with just IS but the inclusion of Clan tech just created a spaghetti monster of balance entanglement that just cannot be resolved by fudging numbers and quirking others...

#12 R79TCom1 Night Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 248 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest, USA

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:00 PM

Less lore, more war.

I think this is a great idea! Make MWO into a generic mecha game with no basis in any universe. Just another bland, mindless FPS in a sea of bland, mindless FPSs.

#13 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:06 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 21 October 2019 - 03:52 PM, said:

So you're saying those undocumented/backroom meetings with the eSpurter at MechCon never happened?

Hey look a tin foil hat.

Tell me again how many changes from the community balance proposal actually made it into the game?

You know, the one authored by many in this secret cabal of backroom e-sports cadre.

The developer has done nothing to make this an e-sport.

View PostR79TCom1 Night Lanner, on 21 October 2019 - 04:00 PM, said:

I think this is a great idea! Make MWO into a generic mecha game with no basis in any universe. Just another bland, mindless FPS in a sea of bland, mindless FPSs.

A balanced and good game with the batteltech IP as a backdrop can be created without adhering to the dumbest parts of a board game.

Edited by Prototelis, 21 October 2019 - 04:08 PM.

#14 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:14 PM

I still play...but...
Removing Voting for Maps
Removing Voting for Mode, bring back Mode selection
Removing MM and bring back Random Drops (ELO)
Removing Tier Display so people don't play "race to Tier 1"
and finally....
Mech Knock downs!!!!!

#15 R79TCom1 Night Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 248 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest, USA

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:19 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 21 October 2019 - 04:06 PM, said:

A balanced and good game with the batteltech IP as a backdrop can be created without adhering to the dumbest parts of a board game.

Oh I agree. Give everyone the same tech and same mecha. Get rid of any semblance of factions that we know and the story surrounding them. Just have a big arena where there's no point in fighting except to kill and not be killed. Basically do away with any substance that makes MWO a BattleTech game except for the pretty skins and words. Sounds like fun except it was tried with MechWarrior Tactics and the MechDad Lore-lovers had no interest in it and killed it. Jerks!

#16 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:20 PM

That's reaching and stretching.

Good cherry picking tho.

#17 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:41 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 21 October 2019 - 04:06 PM, said:

Hey look a tin foil hat.

Tell me again how many changes from the community balance proposal actually made it into the game?

You know, the one authored by many in this secret cabal of backroom e-sports cadre.

HEY! I don't wear tinfoil hats, I use tinfoil suppositories, they're 72% more effective.

Notice how you don't deny the backroom meeting occurred. Instead you try and deflect with regards to the community proposal being rejected (as if PGI listen to the wider community). We all know the meeting happened, we all know the eSpurts aspect of MechCon was discussed and we all know that a specific 'mech *cough*executioner*cough* received a baseline buff after an eSpurter brought a specific quirk to PGI's attention.

#18 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:49 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 21 October 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

HEY! I don't wear tinfoil hats, I use tinfoil suppositories, they're 72% more effective.

Notice how you don't deny the backroom meeting occurred.

lol, no one is denying that it happened.

Only a few are daft enough to believe it had ANY IMPACT on the game whatsoever.

#19 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,606 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:24 PM

Inner Sphere OmniMechs would be nice. I want a Sunder and a Avatar.

#20 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:38 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 21 October 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

We all know the meeting happened, we all know the eSpurts aspect of MechCon was discussed and we all know that a specific 'mech *cough*executioner*cough* received a baseline buff after an eSpurter brought a specific quirk to PGI's attention.

As far as the official record is concerned (that I am aware of), the only changes that PGI has ever straight up acknowledged as being the result exclusively of the competitive community's input was the nerf to AC2s, and the range buff to Heavy Gauss. Those two changes are the only ones PGI ever said (paraphrasing) "we made this change as a result of comments received from the competitive community", and where a record exists of folks from the competitive community acknowledging that they requested the change in the first place.

Ash et al's. meeting with Paul at Mechcon 2018 didn't result in any actual changes as far as I am aware, though I believe that discussion was the impetus for some f the changes to FP, etc.(ask Ash for clarity). Certainly nothing resulted from that meeting, which encouraged or furthered the so-called "e-sports" aspects of the game (that ship had long sailed before Mechcon 2018).

Also it worth noting that the "community balance proposal" came from a far more diverse group of players (MTD, Tarogato, et al) that any that might be pigeonholed as representing the "E-sports" folks (Taro asserted that they received over 2000 comments (or was it 3000?) during the development...far more that the "e-sports" population of the game); not to mention the fact that their proposals were entirely ignored by PGI.

Just sayin.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users