The Death Of Units

64 replies to this topic

#1 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:23 PM

So many great units are almost completely gone if they haven't disbanded already. Units that 3-4 years ago were upwards of 200-300 players just obliterated. Lets face it all of PGI's unit taxes, and unit database dumps / purges where we had to rejoin our Faction and pledge loyalty again or re-apply for our unit, this is where we ended up.

The sad part is that we not only put money into mechs to support this game, but also to pay for our units website and comms and PGI didn't even flinch in making so many blowhard decisions to make it difficult for units.

I bet there are players out there that don't even realize that once upon a time the great houses got to choose who we would fight, actually had a population and reason to team up with merc units in diplomatic relations.

Its almost like PGI gave us a go kart with faction warfare promising to turn it into a hot rod, but instead backpedaled it into becoming a tricycle.

Its just sad, I'll leave it at that.

#2 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:44 PM

It was more than that. Just take a casual google search of cw's past with pgi's constant messing with it. My unit use to be one of the casual/semi casual ones around 2-300 people. Disbanded reformed with only 13 active members. Pgi f-ed up hard. A random insta-death nuke going for the largest cluster of mechs was just one of many screw ups.

#3 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:29 PM

We can join units?

#4 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:47 PM

Lets face it, apart from maybe -MS- conglomeration of smaller units, and 228th's various companies all wearing the same tags, almost all large units in MWO were absolute trash (at playing the game). All the best units had memberships of 15-30ish members total. Anything above that, there was a definite inverse ratio of Numbers:Skill.

Edited by Vxheous, 23 October 2019 - 11:48 PM.

#5 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:03 AM

all good things come to an end......

ive gone thru a few units.. mostly friends or people i play with regularly

Im in paladins group now we have an active core.... BUT we dont do cw... its Cw that messed everything up...

they should have never introduced faction warfare... thats when this game took the dive

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:09 AM

playing the pug lotto, even at peak, i think there were only four unit tags that i considered a threat. then you had units of pugs carried by 1 or 2 skilled players. units in name only that were essentially pugs with tags. troll units who were only good at clubbing seals, but could get hammered by most other units. and a lot of mini units that couldn't field a 12 man if they wanted to (i liked these guys in particular because if you had 2 mini units on your team, they would spend the entire match arguing about strategy while the pugs get all the score at the end).

#7 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:54 AM

View PostVxheous, on 23 October 2019 - 11:47 PM, said:

Lets face it, apart from maybe -MS- conglomeration of smaller units, and 228th's various companies all wearing the same tags, almost all large units in MWO were absolute trash (at playing the game). All the best units had memberships of 15-30ish members total. Anything above that, there was a definite inverse ratio of Numbers:Skill.

But thats just natural. Obviously there are less top-tier pilots than an average skilled ones, so obviously top comp units are gonna have less people. Plus, since comp scene was never more than 12v12 there was never any point to have more than 15-30 people on your top tier unit roster. Game needs both types tho, because bigger units were where newer players learned basic teamplay. Its where people for your top tier units came from.

#8 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:22 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 24 October 2019 - 01:54 AM, said:

But thats just natural. Obviously there are less top-tier pilots than an average skilled ones, so obviously top comp units are gonna have less people. Plus, since comp scene was never more than 12v12 there was never any point to have more than 15-30 people on your top tier unit roster. Game needs both types tho, because bigger units were where newer players learned basic teamplay. Its where people for your top tier units came from.

I'm not referring to the top tier comp units, although it applies to them. I'm referring to the standard units, the KComs (the Pat Kell led version) if you will.

Edited by Vxheous, 24 October 2019 - 02:22 AM.

#9 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:38 AM

View PostVxheous, on 24 October 2019 - 02:22 AM, said:

I'm not referring to the top tier comp units, although it applies to them. I'm referring to the standard units, the KComs (the Pat Kell led version) if you will.

I'm not sure who led them at any point, but early KCom was a top tier comp unit in MWO. And they had about 60 smth members, but then again, everyone had more people back then.

#10 Eatit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:25 AM

View PostVxheous, on 23 October 2019 - 11:47 PM, said:

What is your point here? I don't understand what you're getting at. It looks like you just wanted to throw some dirt on larger units calling them "absolute trash".

The larger units would allow almost anyone to join and were happy to show them the ropes. In my book that makes them the best type of players in the game. Elitist units that would only allow the very best into their ranks were not helpful to the game. E-Sports is part of what killed MWO, it didn't make it better. There is nothing wrong with being proud of your achievements. There is absolutely something wrong with trying to diminish or outright deny the achievements of others. Get a grip on yourself you aren't that special, no matter what your mom keeps telling you.

#11 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:28 AM

Back in the day I had a large unit. Played with it daily. For hours on the weekend. Sometimes all night. It wasn’t very good, it was often sloppy, but playing with it was a lot of fun. Alas, PGI apparently felt that folks with big units were threatening, so they tried cutting them off by taxing anyone who dared to try and get their unit up there. This actually encouraged folks who had big units to begin with, to try and make them smaller. This also disincentivized the folks with big units to risk letting new folks play with their unit. As a result, new players were left to to fend for themselves and prevented a lot of them from even getting a chance to know the joy of playing with a big unit.

Almost immediately after the unit tax was put into place, a lot of the excitement wore off of CW and my unit quickly shrank. Then, painfully, it started breaking apart into little pieces until there was only a tiny stub of it’s old self left. There was a brief spurt at the start of phase four, where it felt like there might be some renewed vigor, and some units got a bit of growth, and my unit started feeling good again; I mean it never got as big as it was, but it was respectable. Then the renewed excitement of all the changes quickly faded, and so, once again, my unit, like everyone else’s, shrank back down and has been limping along ever since.

Nowadays I only play with my unit in FP if it is a special event, and don’t get me started about GQ...it’s so bad there that I might even consider paying to be able to play with my unit in there. Dark days. Despite everything though, and as small as it has gotten, I still firmly hold onto my unit, because there isn’t much else left to hold on to.

#12 KhanBhacKeD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 280 posts
  • LocationDans les branches du skill tree

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:31 AM

View PostEatit, on 24 October 2019 - 04:25 AM, said:

What is your point here? I don't understand what you're getting at. It looks like you just wanted to throw some dirt on larger units calling them "absolute trash".

The larger units would allow almost anyone to join and were happy to show them the ropes. In my book that makes them the best type of players in the game. Elitist units that would only allow the very best into their ranks were not helpful to the game. E-Sports is part of what killed MWO, it didn't make it better. There is nothing wrong with being proud of your achievements. There is absolutely something wrong with trying to diminish or outright deny the achievements of others. Get a grip on yourself you aren't that special, no matter what your mom keeps telling you.

WoW... You just do exactly what you told Vxheous is wrong, sending some dirt on comp minded units (aka mwo E-sports) is not more logical.

What was said is true and logical btw has someone already explain that.

You can enjoy playing a game at a funny level, you can like playing stock if you want, do you havé the right to play it competitive. And I personnally think that E-sport, you are accusating just havé nearly no impact on mwo.

Ps : his mom, yours and mine have nothing to do there so please keep them aside.

Edited by KhanBhacKeD, 24 October 2019 - 04:37 AM.

#13 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:42 AM

Lol Comp killed the game... What mumbo jumbo. I love hearing that, especially when Comp - at ALL skill levels - is alive and kicking despite 10,000+ casuals quitting this year alone

Anyway what killed units was FP3.0/Long Tom. Took PGI, or rather Russ, to admit it needed to be removed from the game. Pity the mass exodus occurred in the first 3-4 weeks and by then the damage to units was done. One of the darkest moments in the games history IMO because it had such a massive affect on population and community - community being the most important thing for any online PvP game.

#14 Eatit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:46 AM

View PostKhanBhacKeD, on 24 October 2019 - 04:31 AM, said:

WoW... You just do exactly what you told Vxheous is wrong, sending some dirt on comp minded units (aka mwo E-sports) is not more logical.

What was said is true and logical btw has someone already explain that.

Ps : his mom, yours and mine have nothing to do there so please keep them aside.

You're suggesting that I was wrong in my statement that E-Sports is one of the factors that killed this game? I think that is a true statement.

Please provide a quote of what I said that could be considered throwing dirt on anyone other than Vxheous.

What in his post had anything to do with the original topic "The Death of Units" that would make his post logical as you suggest.

#15 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:48 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 24 October 2019 - 04:42 AM, said:

Anyway what killed units was FP3.0/Long Tom.

Huh? ... 80% of unit population was gone way before FP1.0, let alone 3.0. Its the "choose-no-more-than-3-friends-you-wanna-play-with" matchmaker that made it obvious that PGI doesn't give a damn about units and caused the mass exodus of people who were up to that point still clinging to a hope that this game will actually be team-oriented like it was promised. Long Tom was just one of a few nails to the coffin, but hardly "The" reason.

#16 Eatit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:52 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 24 October 2019 - 04:42 AM, said:

Lol Comp killed the game... What mumbo jumbo. I love hearing that, especially when Comp - at ALL skill levels - is alive and kicking despite 10,000+ casuals quitting this year alone

Anyway what killed units was FP3.0/Long Tom. Took PGI, or rather Russ, to admit it needed to be removed from the game. Pity the mass exodus occurred in the first 3-4 weeks and by then the damage to units was done. One of the darkest moments in the games history IMO because it had such a massive affect on population and community - community being the most important thing for any online PvP game.

All the casuals left the game, making it their fault the game is dying? The fact that they left is why the game is dead. Blame should be placed on what caused the casuals to leave the game?

It doesn't say anything in my post regarding Comp. It says that E-Sports was one of the factors in the demise of this game. That is a fact. Your MUMBO JUMBO opinion doesn't really change facts.

edited to add below:

Large units were THE Community of this game. The Community is mostly gone. Your suggestion that only top tier players are the community shows your bias.

Edited by Eatit, 24 October 2019 - 04:57 AM.

#17 KhanBhacKeD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:59 AM

@Eatit Just accusating E-sport (wich btw is nearly non existant on mwo) and what you called ellitist units (wich include teams like emp, eon, jgx as Few exemple i presume) this is throwing dirt on some units implicated on one way to play the game.

For his part je didn’t accuse big teams to be responsible of anything hé just give à sadly true but logical statement.

If you are so sure about your statement that e-sports killed mwo and you seems eager about proof have you some proof of that ?

I just can’t answer more about that.

Édit : when i’m telling nearly inexistant i mean mostly that E-sports show late on mwo (2-3 years ago) and game Was already loosing players at this Time.

Edited by KhanBhacKeD, 24 October 2019 - 05:08 AM.

#18 Eatit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:12 AM

View PostKhanBhacKeD, on 24 October 2019 - 04:59 AM, said:

@Eatit Just accusating E-sport (wich btw is nearly non existant on mwo) and what you called ellitist units (wich include teams like emp, eon, jgx as Few exemple i presume) this is throwing dirt on some units implicated on one way to play the game.

For his part je didn’t accuse big teams to be responsible of anything hé just give à sadly true but logical statement.

If you are so sure about your statement that e-sports killed mwo and you seems eager about proof have you some proof of that ?

I just can’t answer more about that.

I noticed that you didn't quote me when you tried to claim that I said e-sports killed MWO. Because I didn't say that. What I did say was that it was one of the many factors that lead to it's demise.

I'm not sure why you would defend someone who called that largest majority of players in this game "absolute trash". I don't think that is defensible.

Why do you want to defend that kind of statement? Do you also feel that way?

As far as proving that e-sports is a factor. I will just ask you to que up in Solaris (e-sports portion of MWO) and let me know how that goes for you.

#19 KhanBhacKeD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:28 AM

View PostEatit, on 24 October 2019 - 05:12 AM, said:

As far as proving that e-sports is a factor. I will just ask you to que up in Solaris (e-sports portion of MWO) and let me know how that goes for you.

Solaris has nothing to do with E-sports.... i think you are missleading everyone if for you solaris killed the game and furthermore if you considèr solaris as E-sports.

Ps : set for dont quoting you, you didnt sa y that clearly but the focus on your word is clear enough.

PS2 : lets not call a cat a dog. Someone bad is bad, i maybe dont like the word trash but just mean the same. (IMO I’m just a decent player)

And just tell me you never called someone trash in a game ;)

Edited by KhanBhacKeD, 24 October 2019 - 05:29 AM.

#20 Eatit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:48 AM

I never called someone trash in a game! Let alone on a forum for that game. Let alone calling the largest majority of players "absolute trash".

The large units were the ones training new people they were the accepting and helping community. How many new players were allowed to join any of those Elitist units you mentioned? Calling those people who did the most for the benefit of the most "absolute trash" is indefensible. Calling units that selfishly only allowed the best of the best Elitist is self evident and accurate.

Solaris is the culmination of the E-Sports agenda taken by PGI. If you don't understand that I can't help you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users