The Death Of Units

64 replies to this topic

#41 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:55 AM

Again he didn’t say people are trash he said people’s ability at this game is trash there is a big difference

#42 Ssamout

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationPihalla

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:02 AM

View PostEatit, on 24 October 2019 - 07:54 AM, said:

The grammar/spelling in this sentence is what? It's ironic.

Sorry if my third language isnt up to you specs. Doesnt remove the fact that most players are pure trash in mwo.

#43 Eatit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:05 AM

Are you saying that average players exhibit average skill?

OMG, alert the news media normal players play with normal skill.

That totally means it's ok for high skilled players to call them trash?

This makes so much sense to me now I'm glad that you explained it to me.

View PostSsamout, on 24 October 2019 - 08:02 AM, said:

Sorry if my third language isnt up to you specs. Doesnt remove the fact that most players are pure trash in mwo.

You called me dumb in a sentence that looked like someone dumb wrote it. That my friend is ironic.

#44 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:07 AM

Omg chill out. You guys are like a bunch of fat kids at a candy shop.
It’s like you live for nothing else on this forum than to prove that you are right and everyone else is simple.
All that gets achieved is you gain internet points and look like a jerk.

The point that OP made got malformed and then we got two pages of back and forth ‘I’m righteous, your wrong’

The original point on when the big FP exodus happened can be disputed, OP was right about the meat of it.
Longtom might have been the major disruptor (plus other mess ups) but the final nail in the coffin for those remaining in the sunset was the screw up with unit loyalty. Removing unit insignia of units that been together for years laid bare just how much of this was player made and how little PGI actually cares or is capable of.

#45 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:14 AM

View PostEatit, on 24 October 2019 - 08:05 AM, said:

Are you saying that average players exhibit average skill?

No most of the average skilled players left, leaving a frothing brown foam to bubble to the top.

OMG, alert the news media normal players play with normal skill.

Chainfiring small lasers at 500m ain't normal brah

That totally means it's ok for high skilled players to call them trash?

I'm not high skilled.

You called me dumb in a sentence that looked like someone dumb wrote it. That my friend is ironic.

The actual irony here is that homeboy apparently speaks three languages and was still more clear and concise in their points, grammar and spelling included, than the ones you've made.

View PostJackal Noble, on 24 October 2019 - 08:07 AM, said:

Omg chill out. You guys are like a bunch of fat kids at a candy shop.
It’s like you live for nothing else on this forum than to prove that you are right and everyone else is simple.
All that gets achieved is you gain internet points and look like a jerk.

The point that OP made got malformed and then we got two pages of back and forth ‘I’m righteous, your wrong’

The original point on when the big FP exodus happened can be disputed, OP was right about the meat of it.
Longtom might have been the major disruptor (plus other mess ups) but the final nail in the coffin for those remaining in the sunset was the screw up with unit loyalty. Removing unit insignia of units that been together for years laid bare just how much of this was player made and how little PGI actually cares or is capable of.

No, don't you see? It's totally not PGI being completely incompetent and not listening to players or doing any of the things which they claimed they were going to do. No no no, it's actually the elitist units that no one is allowed to join.

#46 Eatit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:14 AM

Bash me all you like... It won't change a thing.

The comment your boy Vxheous made is wrong and should be redacted.

#47 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:16 AM

View PostEatit, on 24 October 2019 - 08:14 AM, said:

Bash me all you like... It won't change a thing.

The comment your boy Vxheous made is wrong and should be redacted.

Cool, I'll be sure to bring it up to him next time we're having lunch and plotting the downfall of the next F2P game by skilling all over the trash

#48 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:41 AM

View PostJackal Noble, on 24 October 2019 - 08:07 AM, said:

this is the most accurate point in this entire thread and it applies to all skill levels :)

#49 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:06 AM

View PostEatit, on 24 October 2019 - 04:52 AM, said:

All the casuals left the game, making it their fault the game is dying? The fact that they left is why the game is dead. Blame should be placed on what caused the casuals to leave the game?

It doesn't say anything in my post regarding Comp. It says that E-Sports was one of the factors in the demise of this game. That is a fact. Your MUMBO JUMBO opinion doesn't really change facts.

edited to add below:

Large units were THE Community of this game. The Community is mostly gone. Your suggestion that only top tier players are the community shows your bias.

Pretty evident you have no idea WHY the causals left.

Lemme give you the hot tip - it wasn't because of competitive play. To blame that is just absolutely garbage.

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 24 October 2019 - 04:48 AM, said:

Huh? ... 80% of unit population was gone way before FP1.0, let alone 3.0. Its the "choose-no-more-than-3-friends-you-wanna-play-with" matchmaker that made it obvious that PGI doesn't give a damn about units and caused the mass exodus of people who were up to that point still clinging to a hope that this game will actually be team-oriented like it was promised. Long Tom was just one of a few nails to the coffin, but hardly "The" reason.

Well given MS had 700 or so members. My own unit some 100 active almost daily and a half dozen others like HHOD etc that would all have 4-6 12-mans running constantly...

Then that stopped soon after Long Tom arrival.

It's safe enough to say that's when the bulk of units were slain by PGIs brilliant creation and immersion mechanic calls... Long Tom.

#50 Inatu Elimor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 312 posts
  • Location1.45 meters below sealevel

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:08 AM

View PostVxheous, on 24 October 2019 - 06:30 AM, said:

Yeah, the majority of the players that play/played this game is absolute trash at playing it. BTW, I was in a big unit back in those days, and yeah, it was trash. The best units for training like you said were the smaller competent ones, ranging in the 30-50ish active player range. Units like NS, ISEN, they had enough players at a certain skill level that can at least teach and pass on good knowledge. Just because those other massive units took in anyone and everyone, did not mean they could teach them properly.

You ended up seeing that as time went on, and smaller groups of players would break off from these massive units because they were trash.

Once proud member of the NS. What broke up the unit was not PGI but competitive members. Sad.

#51 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:42 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 24 October 2019 - 11:06 AM, said:

Well given MS had 700 or so members. My own unit some 100 active almost daily and a half dozen others like HHOD etc that would all have 4-6 12-mans running constantly...

Then that stopped soon after Long Tom arrival.

It's safe enough to say that's when the bulk of units were slain by PGIs brilliant creation and immersion mechanic calls... Long Tom.

The thing is tho ... what was MS in the first place? ... MS just gathered up all the remains of various units that were slowly losing members since way before FP happened. The reason so many have joined is exactly because they couldn't field their own teams anymore due to lack of people. And the reason for that is MM, not Long Tom. My unit was 102 people at open beta launch. After MM phase 1.0 it was down to 20 people in less than a month.

#52 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:26 PM

Can't speak for all units got big, but some units got big because they had a small core of winners.

Tail coat riders, seek these units, thus the units get bigger due to success of a group core players attracting tail coat riders.

Unit management seeks to appease said tail coat riders at the expense of the orginal core group of winners.
Which slowly leave, doh some are slow learners Posted Image .

Unit continues to grow as the incoming crew outnumber the outgrowing crew memebers, but the thing is the leak is their but not noticed due to the new in take.

Once all the winners leave and the truth gets out , in take of new members slows and stops whilst leak of old players accelerates. Unit is greatly reduced in size.

IMO

Edit: Of all units MS managed this best, for a time.

How do you block a dude on the forum, I ain't got time to read some of the stuff I see.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 24 October 2019 - 12:39 PM.

#53 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:32 PM

View PostInatu Elimor, on 24 October 2019 - 11:08 AM, said:

Once proud member of the NS. What broke up the unit was not PGI but competitive members. Sad.

Typical coat tail rider response.

If NS was crap would you have been attracted to them in the first place?
Doubt it.

Edit: Not very NS like stats you got their bud. More like feeder unit material.

Butthertz and envy is what kills units

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 24 October 2019 - 12:40 PM.

#54 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:44 PM

the activity in this station proves my darkest nightmares have become reality
my dream has dissolved into in fighting and warfare between my followers
you are not worthy to be my successors
I cannot allow this battle station to fall into such inferior hands
initiating self destruct sequence

Edited by Davegt27, 24 October 2019 - 01:47 PM.

#55 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:38 PM

View PostEatit, on 24 October 2019 - 04:46 AM, said:

You're suggesting that I was wrong in my statement that E-Sports is one of the factors that killed this game?

Has nothing to do with it.

The developer HAS DONE NOTHING to make this an e-sport.

#56 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:14 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 24 October 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

Has nothing to do with it.

The developer HAS DONE NOTHING to make this an e-sport.

Edited by VonBruinwald, 24 October 2019 - 03:14 PM.

#57 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:22 PM

Fluff for a failed tournament.

That sure proves a point.

#58 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:31 PM

View PostEatit, on 24 October 2019 - 06:50 AM, said:

You could have corrected what you said. You could have said that you thought the contribution of the majority was worthwhile. You could have just said you didn't mean to call all those 1000s of people trash. You could have. But you didn't. You confirmed your statement instead.

Speaks volumes to the quality of your character.

View PostEatit, on 24 October 2019 - 07:48 AM, said:

None of you have disputed a single word I have said. It is obvious that Vxheous' statement is indefensible. There is no way to make him look better. People will read what he and I have written and decide for themselves.

Quality of character doesn't mean much in the virtual world. I'm sure his quality extends to the real world and has an impact on his daily life. Whether he understands that or not. People will be judging him on that character. His success in life will be changed by the quality of his character, for good or bad.

Let's not lead him down the path of bad. Let's try to help boy out. Give him good advice and not make excuses for him.

Why would I change my statement when it's true, just to make you think differently of me?

I'm successful at "real world" btw, a medical professional with a good paying job (100K+/year), married 10 years+, two kids, 2400sq foot house with attached 2 car garage in a nice neighbourhood, etc. Typical upper middle class stuff, but still successful none the less. Just to be clear, what I do in "real world" as no impact on this game, I'm only talking about it because of your wrong assumptions. I save my compassion for the patients I treat day in/day out, not for the potatoes I rekt in this game.

Just like some of the guys that have taught me how to play this game at the highest level over the years, I'll close with this: [EmP] Vxheous ggclose

Edited by Vxheous, 24 October 2019 - 07:08 PM.

#59 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:59 PM

Units were dying long before CW even came out.

A lot of people put in a lot of effort to create communities that they hoped would survive until CW was finally released (90 days my ***). 3 ******* years later when it's finally released it's to little, way to late and the enthusiasm for the game is gone, numbers are declining already.

When it's finally released there's a small bump in enthusiasm and players, but stupid decisions by PGI and no in game means of communication with unit members or even other units makes managing units and community events difficult. How long was it before we even had in game VOIP? 2-3 years I can't remember.

Lack of a matchmaker to keep sharks away from minnows didn't help either. (in all queues)

Despite the early promises PGI have done almost nothing to help units even survive let alone thrive, those that have survived, have done it in spite of PGI.

Fact is units were dying from 91 days after closed beta ended, what's really amazing is that units and community members have been able to keep them alive this long considering the environment they have to live in.

#60 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:34 PM

[mod]Due to argumentative discussion,
this thread has been moved to Kaetetôã.[/mod]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users