#61 Mr D One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:14 PM

View PostVxheous, on 19 November 2019 - 10:30 PM, said:

Jay Z was kind enough to show us a build for exactly how ASH was able to get Tier 1 today. I give you, the Atlas-S (A S H):
this build will eventually take you to tier 1.

That made my day. Thanks. PSA - Jay Z uses Stalkers' as his ride of choice. The distance game almost had me, but the XL, lol, in an Atlas, had me in stitches.

I am half tempted to run an alt in this build and stream on my mixer channel.

Mech-cellent stuff.

Edited by Dar1ngOne, 19 November 2019 - 11:14 PM.

#62 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:38 AM

I haven't read through all the replies so I don't know if it's been said already, but your range is important. That's a good build you have but it's very close ranged, about 230m is optimal for both the pulse lasers and UAC, ideally within 220m for the pulse lasers. Yes, they have maximum ranges of 540m and 440m but you're doing very little damage at that point and most of the time it's not worth wasting the ammo/heat

#63 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:50 AM

View PostCherokeeRose, on 19 November 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

Just because I haven't played MWO long, and haven't achieved "expert" status, doesn't mean my opinion is worthless.
It doesn't mean it's worthless, but it means it has substantially less weight and credibility than that of more experienced and higher performing players.

As a (highly sucsesful?) new player, helping another new player, I think I may have just as much relevant info as an older player who does nothing but well co-ordinated team work in CW/FP in well tuned teams, with coms, etc.
You don't. it's just your ego talking, sorry.

You know how people get such nice k/d w/l ratios? It isn't in quick play... which is where newbies like me are (almost exclusively).
Except that the leaderboard only covers quick play.

yeah there's a lot of tactics, etc, that help... but at it's heart, it doesn't matter how good your tactics are if you weapon selection just won't put out the damage fast enough and at a good range. Or do so in a reliable manner.
Tactics matter to give you and your team enough time to actually deal the damage in the first place. OP's problem wasn't really that he had a bad build (although it could be optimized better), it was that he played his build badly .

I'm constantly amazed at how RACs are treated like a pariah. Sure they have some issues, like spool up time, and jamming, but they are the highest DPS weapon in the game, and give ample opportunity to shift aim if initial lead is off, as it will often be with a player learning to lead targets. I think they are a great.
They have DPS, sure. What they don't have is burst damage or focus - the damage is spread around like m*********er and you have to continue staring at the enemy while you're firing, which means that if your target isn't already distracted you're going to get cored out a LOT.

Maybe not reliable kills
Which is the problem right there. Streaks used to be better, but they were nerfed both by changes to distribution of their target components and the reduction in the targeting reticle area.

My Butterbee is a killing machine. 4 streaks (2,4,4,6 so no ghost heat) linked to a tag, and 3mpl...and it not only racks up massive dmg numbers but also reliably gets kill via the pinpoint MPL dmg.
And without a BAP, most of your firepower can be instantly shut down by a piddly little Pirates Bane being near you.
4xASRM6 and 4xMPL delivers more focused damage and a 50% higher initial burst. The key in this game isn't to take your time farming inefficient damage while your mech is getting shredded, but rather to deliver focused damage that either quickly eliminates opponents or deprives them of combat effectiveness.

OH NOES they are LOW SKILL WEAPONS. So what?
They're "safe zone" weapons, giving you an illusion of performance but only working against incompetent opponents.
You don't get better by only staying in a comfort zone of weapons and builds that aim to compensate for your weaknesses. Get out of that comfort zone and start playing to your strengths instead..

Yet the hard cores would NEVER run a streak Butterbee. They'll say SRM+A all day long
Your streak BB deals a 50 point alpha, 32 points of which will be spread out across random components.
A 4xASRM6+4xMPL BB deals a 75 point alpha, with much more focused damage than your streaks.

Why does that matter? Let's take your streak BB to Solaris, against a Kodiak - what do you think wins? The conclusion is foregone: the Kodiak, because your streaks won't chip away its armor fast enough to matter.

Meanwhile, a 4xASRM6 Bushwacker - ten tons lighter than your Catapult - can just burst down that Kodiak's CT without a substantial difficulty (and has - I regularly run that BSW in Solaris).

I trust you can see the difference?

and expect a newbie to be able to hit a running light at 250 meters.
That's what chainfire is for.

A mere 3 tons on a streak is what, ~750 dmg sans AMS/terrain?
In a real scenario, their average accuracy rate is 75% so you're only going to get 560 damage.

Edited by Horseman, 20 November 2019 - 07:51 AM.

#64 Buster Machine 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Bronze Champ
  • CS 2021 Bronze Champ
  • 224 posts
  • LocationRepping TharHes Industries on a laptop

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:16 AM

optimize, optimize, and optimize.

And be sure to stay alive / win your trades.

As for weapon choices the current meta seems to be mostly comprised of Dakka and MRMs.

#65 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:52 PM

also, never use RACs, bad weapon system

#66 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:21 PM

Don't listen to me, I'm just some low skilled newb who don't know nuthin' 'bout to build/pilot a mech.

In a support fox.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#67 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:46 PM

Here is my "normal" kit fox build

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

3rd game today, so no, I'm not cherry picking.

I love getting called out by people who say stuff like "I'm the top tier so only my opinion counts".

Of course I could probably pilot a ham sandwich and still get a kill.

Am I still learning? I hope so. When one starts to believe they know everything, that is where true ignorance begins.

One should follow a path of Zen, only by accepting that one does not know is one truly able to learn.

I see a lot of people around here thinking they know everything. Posted Image

#68 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:17 PM

View PostNightbird, on 20 November 2019 - 12:52 PM, said:

also, never use RACs, bad weapon system

LOL

#69 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:22 PM

View PostCherokeeRose, on 20 November 2019 - 03:46 PM, said:

I love getting called out by people who say stuff like "I'm the top tier so only my opinion counts".

You're running around in a ECM mech, in Tier 4/5 matches which means you are entirely invisible because players in those Tiers can't aim at a mech that hows up on radar, let alone one that does not (as proven by taking ~100dmg a match).

And that somehow means those games are a "good" indicator? Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I can run a LRM/XL Atlas with ECM and spew out constantly 1200dmg matches in Tier 1 because im invisible to at least 6 out of the 12 opposing players. Does that mean it's good play/build or advice? Of course not. And thus I don't. I keep my mouth shut on that because I know it's bad advice and wrong to misrepresent and knowingly mislead people.

#70 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:39 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 20 November 2019 - 07:22 PM, said:

You're running around in a ECM mech, in Tier 4/5 matches which means you are entirely invisible because players in those Tiers can't aim at a mech that hows up on radar, let alone one that does not (as proven by taking ~100dmg a match).

And that somehow means those games are a "good" indicator? Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I can run a LRM/XL Atlas with ECM and spew out constantly 1200dmg matches in Tier 1 because im invisible to at least 6 out of the 12 opposing players. Does that mean it's good play/build or advice? Of course not. And thus I don't. I keep my mouth shut on that because I know it's bad advice and wrong to misrepresent and knowingly mislead people.

lol

#71 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:13 PM

Muh Metas, muh XL's

#72 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:41 PM

View PostCherokeeRose, on 20 November 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

Muh Metas, muh XL's

An XL Atlas is the farthest thing from Meta

#73 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:23 PM

Of course I could probably pilot a ham sandwich and still get a kill
In low tiers, you can. That's because the tier system is imbalanced so that players who barely cross 30th percentile in average performance still make it to T1 given enough matches played. Until you hit T3, you're only playing with (and against) newbies and players who are too terrible to aim straight. You can still be matched with (and against) Tier 5 players until you hit T2 and you can be matched with Tier 4 players until you hit T1

Let me show you something - the track record of my own alt account: https://leaderboard....=Horseman%20IIC
You can clearly see when it went up in tiers due to drops in average match performance.

TL;DR: It doesn't take much to be the big scary monster in low tiers. That doesn't make your experience there relevant

One should follow a path of Zen, only by accepting that one does not know is one truly able to learn.
I see a lot of people around here thinking they know everything. Posted Image
Given that you let temporary success in low tiers get to your head and have proclaimed multiple times that you believe you know better than anyone else... perhaps you need to follow your own advice more.

View PostCherokeeRose, on 20 November 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

Muh Metas, muh XL's
LRM/XL Atlas isn't meta... it's the antithesis of meta.

What is this, then?
Posted Image

Edited by Horseman, 20 November 2019 - 11:36 PM.

#74 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:51 AM

View PostHorseman, on 20 November 2019 - 11:23 PM, said:

What is this, then?

You really need to ask? Of course it's cherry pickin'. And why is that?

Well that moment when you play with the big boys in T1/2/3 and not the 20% users in T4/5 - what happens with your little ECM KFX?

You 0 bomb.

Posted Image

Or how about the very next match?

16 bomb.

Come on man, stop talking a big game.

Posted Image

Edited by justcallme A S H, 21 November 2019 - 01:03 AM.

#75 denAirwalkerrr

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:11 AM

Boo Ash. Only 678 damage. Pathetic!

#76 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:15 AM

Ya I know, too much running in circles... Reminded me after 2 games why I play QP so rarely.

So many users doing double digits every match.

#77 denAirwalkerrr

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:16 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 21 November 2019 - 01:15 AM, said:

Ya I know, too much running in circles... Reminded me after 2 games why I play QP so rarely.

So many users doing double digits every match.

Double digits is still better then 0 digits “how to do damage” experts.

#78 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:30 PM

Do you keep screenshots of every match you play ASH?

#79 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:57 PM

View PostBowelhacker, on 21 November 2019 - 02:30 PM, said:

Do you keep screenshots of every match you play ASH?

I take a screenshot when I see forum warriors in my game that spout nonsense then get rekted

#80 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:07 PM

Well, that's pretty ******* petty. Congratulations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users