205 replies to this topic

#1 Mex-Warrior

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMéxico

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:33 AM

Hello everyone!

I have a bit silly question, what are the best ways to dealing damage? I can do around 250 dmg per match in my Marauder MAD-3R, but plenty of people tell me that's bellow optimal damage for my chassis. I try to stick with my team, and since i'm in a heavy mech, i stay on the frontline and share armor until most of my armor is gone (my damage taken per match is around 500-600), but i can't seem to be able to hit the enemy team as hard, maybe it's the build im running?

The build i use for my marauder is the following (I spent all my cadet money on this mech)
[url=https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#0225e418_MAD-3R]MAD-3R[/url]

Thanks for reading.

#2 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:34 AM

Welcome to MWO DoroteoArango,

Disclaimer: I'm just a T3 perma-patata, so this might not be the best information for you.

If you are comfortable with your build, just keep playing it and your scores will improve. In my opinion, the MAD-3R is a good choice for a first mech, quite versatile for ballistics/laser builds

My personal favourite build is 2xLB10-X shotguns and 4xMLs but you see a lot of -3Rs running 3xRAC2s and assorted lasers, 2xRAC5s with assorted lasers, various UAC/AC20/LB20-X/Gauss builds, the list goes on. Some builds will free up enough torso slots to use LFE engines for extra speed. As I said, it's a versatile chassis.

For me the biggest drawback of the UAC20 is its propensity to jam, and the long jam duration, even with the UAC skill nodes unlocked.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 25 October 2019 - 09:41 AM.

#3 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:37 AM

The build is okay but the medium pulse lasers might not have quite enough range for a sub 70kph mech (you'll take too much damage getting into effective range) and I personally like the Inner Sphere AC20 over the UAC20 because it's one shell, lighter, and doesn't jam. Here are a few effective MAD-3R builds I've used in the past:

MAD-3R (3xRAC2, 4xERSL) uses the 320LFE
MAD-3R (2xLB10X, 4xML) uses stock 300 engine
MAD-3R (AC20, 2xSNPPC) uses the 320LFE
MAD-3R (3xAC5, 4xERSL) uses stock 300 engine

#4 Sneaky Ohgoorchik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:38 AM

It looks like you are doing good for a new player. Marauders are generally very tough mechs, But marauders are low damage. I believe you will learn fast how to do more damage while practicing, but here are some general advises:

1. Give your enemy your left, unarmed side, don't "stare" at them.
2. While shielding with the left side try to pick your torso up, so it will be only left side availible for your enemy to shoot at. When you put your torso deep down the opponent may shoot not only your ct, but even opposite torso.
3. Just in case you don't do it already: Press "r" to see your enemy weak spots, press "q" to be aware of health and letter-signatures of your enemies.
4. Raise your mech skills(the skill menu).

I do believe, that your build is pretty much perfect for the marauder. But for bigger damage you still can do a low-effort non-competitive tricks. You maybe will need it sometimes to raise up score for challenges, or something. So, put RACs or LBXs in your right torso. Racs are continious, spread damage weapons, but your mech is good at staring contests because of the shape of it, so you can use RACs more effective. LBXs are spread damage weapons, they do more damage(I don't understand how it works myself, help) against the exposed structure. Also, LBXs has way bigger long range output than the standard ACs.

#5 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:49 AM

Further to Sneaky's post, LB-X shotguns are better at doing damage to exposed structure because they have a higher chance of scoring a 'critical hit' and wrecking equipment inside exposed components.

An added bonus is their low heat.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 25 October 2019 - 09:51 AM.

#6 Sneaky Ohgoorchik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:59 AM

By the way, I kind of want to ask if somebody can say anything about the targeting computer. I would put beagle AP (for surprise counter-ecm) or AMS instead, but its kind of thing I decided once and never rethought later and I don't know what is it doing.

I mean the targeting computer from the TS build.

Edited by Sneaky Ohgoorchik, 25 October 2019 - 10:34 AM.

#7 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:43 AM

View PostSneaky Ohgoorchik, on 25 October 2019 - 09:59 AM, said:

By the way, I kind of want to ask if somebody can say anything about the targeting computer. I would put beagle AP (for surprise counter-ecm) or AMS instead, but its kind of thing I decided once and never rethought later and I don't know what is it doing.

I mean the targeting computer from the TS build.

Improved laser range and ballistic velocity helps. You probably want TC3 or thereabouts.

#8 Sneaky Ohgoorchik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:46 AM

Thx

#9 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:54 AM

View PostHorseman, on 25 October 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

Improved laser range and ballistic velocity helps. You probably want TC3 or thereabouts.

Except for shotguns and missiles. Decreased targeting time and increased crit chance are nice too.

Edited by CFC Conky, 25 October 2019 - 10:55 AM.

#10 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:49 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 25 October 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

Except for shotguns and missiles.
Yep.

Decreased targeting time and increased crit chance are nice too.
Targeting data speed is nice, but it won't make a big difference to your win rate - if you're paying attention to the mechs when they're shown during the opening sequence, you likely already know what to aim for.
As for crit chance... one, that stacks additively with a base crit chance of 40% and two, AFAIK it only affects equipment damage and not structure damage.

#11 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

View PostHorseman, on 25 October 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

Yep.
Targeting data speed is nice, but it won't make a big difference to your win rate - if you're paying attention to the mechs when they're shown during the opening sequence, you likely already know what to aim for.
As for crit chance... one, that stacks additively with a base crit chance of 40% and two, AFAIK it only affects equipment damage and not structure damage.

Indeed, the crit damage is to equipment within a given component. Not sure how much damage is credited for destroying equipment but taking out a mech's weapons/heatsinks/ammo is never a bad thing Posted Image .

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#12 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:20 PM

Take out the TC1, put in another DHS - TC1 in that build is largely useless compared to a DHS. Honestly you are better off with 4 ML instead of 4 MPL when learning... Put in a larger engine and another DHS as well. Will do wonders while you learn heat management.

As for dealing damage - it is mostly about awareness.
  • Where are enemies?
  • Where are friendlies?
Always be with friends and never be alone with enemies. It just takes time to learn the game before you go off and play a little more 'free' so to speak.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 25 October 2019 - 01:22 PM.

#13 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:08 PM

View PostDoroteoArango, on 25 October 2019 - 08:33 AM, said:

I have a bit silly question, what are the best ways to dealing damage? I can do around 250 dmg per match in my Marauder MAD-3R, but plenty of people tell me that's bellow optimal damage for my chassis. I try to stick with my team, and since i'm in a heavy mech, i stay on the frontline and share armor until most of my armor is gone (my damage taken per match is around 500-600), but i can't seem to be able to hit the enemy team as hard, maybe it's the build im running?

The build i use for my marauder is the following (I spent all my cadet money on this mech)
Your build is nearly identical to a build I used to run with great success (and here's a current run with it: https://imgur.com/a/9OmLtgZ ). I'd toss the TC1 for an extra heat sink and move a ton of ammo into the head slot, but the rest is fine.
The problem is that, not to put a too fine point on it, you eat too many bullets too early to matter. Sharing armor properly is more about attracting attention and drawing fire then about actually tanking the shots. Since you've built your mech for brawling, your goal is to preserve your armor until you're in (or close to) your optimal range and ready to pounce with the rest of your team.

View PostCFC Conky, on 25 October 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

Not sure how much damage is credited for destroying equipment but taking out a mech's weapons/heatsinks/ammo is never a bad thing Posted Image .
Although with how focused damage is easy to come by in MWO you tend to blast away the component whole before the equipment crits out. :P

#14 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:02 PM

View PostDoroteoArango, on 25 October 2019 - 08:33 AM, said:

Hello everyone!

Thanks for reading.

I have found good success with an UAC10 and dual AC2 build (with 4 MLs). It's a solid mid range mech, which is where I typically excel at. I find UAC10s and AC2s pair nicely with each other at mid range, so it can add some nice punch (and added crit chance) for the UAC10 with little extra heat gained. The MLs are good backup weapons, as well as "burst damage" weapons when you need that extra kick. Might make for an interesting alternative build to try if you ever get board.

A Marauder with an UAC20 does sound MAD though... :D

#15 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:45 PM

View PostSneaky Ohgoorchik, on 25 October 2019 - 09:38 AM, said:

It looks like you are doing good for a new player. Marauders are generally very tough mechs, But marauders are low damage. I believe you will learn fast how to do more damage while practicing, but here are some general advises:

1. Give your enemy your left, unarmed side, don't "stare" at them.

On that note, the Marauder is much like the Stalker in that it spreads damage very well from the front - not the sides. So if you're used to more humanoid 'Mechs, you can do yourself a disservice by twisting too much. This makes the Marauder an excellent second line combatant and fire support 'mech, but a poor knife-range brawler. I'd actually recommend trying two PPCs (not ER, because heat) and an AC/10 as an alternative to the 'mech you're running - not least because I dislike the long jam times and unreliability of the UAC/20. This build is dated, though; try it on for size (and give yourself time to adjust to the build's range requirements,) but don't take it as gospel.

However, as one of the better players in the game once told me - the biggest thing that separates the best from the rest is practice. Do study the game and watch what seems to work and to fail - because bad practice makes bad practices. But play the game more if you want to do more damage. =)

#16 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 25 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

I would switch out the AC20 for 2 LBX 10s and switch out the med pulse for 4 ER meds. Your build is quite range limited, which means either you or the enemy has to get in pretty close before you're dealing optimal damage. Most quick play matches have the bulk of the damage dealt at 400-500m, so you're not getting to do your maximum damage, while others get to shoot you for theirs.

Dealing damage in this game involves time and space. You need time to fire your weapons, deal with cooldown time of weapons, and time for your heatsinks to bleed off heat so you can keep shooting. Space buys you that time, and repositioning maintains that space.

Try this build:
https://mech.nav-alp...ab366ae0_MAD-3R

Edited by Vxheous, 25 October 2019 - 05:48 PM.

#17 Mex-Warrior

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMéxico

Posted 28 October 2019 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for all the help guys!

Thanks to the lootbags from the current event, i've earned some c-bills and made some changes to my build with your suggestions; my current build is this.
My damage output has increased, i once reached the 650 dmg dealt!
And thanks again!

Edited by DoroteoArango, 28 October 2019 - 06:38 PM.

#18 Paul Meyers DEST

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 539 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 04:21 AM

Grats to your improvement.

But i would use vxheous build, the LBX10 is a good realiable weapon with a nice range and cooldown and the range syncs very well with the ermed lasern. Give it a try, the UAC20 is a really hard to handle wepon compared to the LB10X.

#19 Killer Jr

Rookie

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:56 AM

Just my 2 cents... I run a very similar build on my MAD-5M (one additional ML on mine), and it pumps out damage pretty consistently. Make sure you're double-tapping with the UAC (goes through ammo faster, but drastically increases your DPM), and invest heavily into cooldown and heat management skills. One more thing: patience. You're a mid- to close-range build, so hold your fire until targets are within the optimal range of your weapons to maximize damage output. I know it's hard to do on big open maps like Polar Highlands, but stay in cover and let the long-range mechs duel it out until the field closes enough for you to go to work. Happy hunting!

Edited by Killer Jr, 29 October 2019 - 08:57 AM.

#20 Mechwarrior 37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:09 AM

With a hammer. If it is not working, try a bigger hammer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users