Mw5: What Mech Do You Drop With The Most In Early To Late-Midgame?

50 replies to this topic

#41 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 11:26 PM

The highlander hero isn't bad either (well any of the highlanders but the hero does have that 330XL engine for better speed than the stock ones with 270s) because a single jump jet still gives you jump pivot turns ability and enough altitude to clear walls without needing to smash thru them. Actually that may be a design oversight or it may be deliberate on the part of PGI but the base jump distance of thirty something meters is achieved with only a single jet. Adding more jump jets in many cases pays diminishing returns in terms of distances.

Edited by Dee Eight, 20 December 2019 - 11:27 PM.

#42 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 11:48 PM

i really wish the jets were vectorable. i really like the way living legends did it. use the torso pitch to vector the jets so you can have some control over up vs forward, and you dont need 5 buttons like you had to have in mechwarrior2. its kind of like flying a helicopter, nose down to go forward, nose up to slow down or reverse, level to go straight up. then just buff them to the point where they are fun.

#43 CanadianCyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 06:09 AM

Hunchback 4H with 4 ML and a AC10 can carry fairly well until you get your hands on an Awesome 8Q and then the game becomes easy mode as 3 PPC wreck house.

#44 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 22 December 2019 - 07:18 PM

I had the extremely good fortune that the first Hero mech I encountered was a Grid Iron. Guass Rifle, 2 ML, 1 LRM10. If it took really bad hits and was a long repair, I would swap for the starting Centurion. Played many, many missions until I had once again the good fortune of finding a Jester. 4xSL and 2xLL or 2xPPC. Even with 5 Atlases in my hangar, I continued in the Jester until I was finally forced to replace it with an assault for the 90+ difficulty missions.

#45 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 02:07 PM

Get a Firestarter ASAP, 4 small lasers, two medium lasers, and two machine guns, 4-6 JJ, etc, max your armor and balance it to the front. It's a game changer.

You may need to sometimes let your teammate distract heavy mechs first, then bounce in and take out the enemy mech (or at least their most important Side Torso) with a quickness.

I make it through most missions with only mild dmg. I often send my team mates ahead to draw agro on turrets and mechs, then I run in (or circle around from the side) and just take everything out before the enemy even knows what hit them.

#46 Asmosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 06:28 PM

I'm currently running around in a Hero blackjack with 6 machine guns, 2 flamers and an ER PPC for shooting down vtols.

It is glorious in destruction missions, and also melts most light/med mechs (idk if the damage on MG's is buggy or something, but it rips mechs apart).

#47 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 03:51 AM

I just love the Awesome for mid to late game. The 8Q is slow but cheap to get and don't require DHS due to the small engine and crap ton of SHS in it, but with the 9M you get both speed and firepower, plus with 2x SRM-4's you get an additional punch to deal with enemies at close range.

The AI also seems to love PPC's and lending Awesome's to your lance mates and watching them wreck every vehicle that appears around you is really, well, awesome. :D

If I can get a hold of a KGC "Kaiju" I'm gonna love having those 4 PPC's!

#48 cszolee79

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 55 posts
  • LocationBudapest

Posted 28 December 2019 - 10:48 AM

View PostFunky Bacon, on 28 December 2019 - 03:51 AM, said:

If I can get a hold of a KGC "Kaiju" I'm gonna love having those 4 PPC's!

AI did really bad in it, like 1/3 the damage another AI did in the same mission in a vanilla AS7-K.

BTW, I managed to find a CP-S early in the game (just looked around in the closer Kurita industrial hubs), and it's a beast. Comes with 2x Gauss, 3x ML, and an SRM, it is a game changer in early times. It's the mech I love the most. Good armor, good mobility (64kph and really fast torso movement), it's high (so I can see over most trees) and two big dakkas. Gauss for sniping, AC20 for brawling.
Lately, I put two T5 AC20s on it, and... that's it. Press left click, things die. 52 pinpoint damage is painful. After a bit of practice with the very slow projectiles, I can kill PPC Awesomes from 5-600 meters with it.

Edited by cszolee79, 28 December 2019 - 10:57 AM.

#49 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 01 January 2020 - 10:52 PM

Man I saw a La Malinche when I couldn’t afford it, waiting for the day it comes up again. Has some nice features.

#50 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:35 PM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 18 December 2019 - 11:56 AM, said:

in the beginning, I stayed in that Javelin 10F we started with, till was midway through Marik land, then I need a bit more armor to lead my lance,

mainly now use Rifleman-3N and Archer-2R, still use the Centurion, works great for building up a pilots skills
in the early days Blackjacks and a hunchback-4H, in the first campaign I used the 3 HBK-4P, but they were getting to expensive to upkeep, lose that torso, and replacing lots of weapons

a lot has to do with how one plays, I think smartly, that going range works best, but I don't play smartly, I like brawl, and anything under 400m. I'm more a "Hulk Smash" kinda Pilot
I do try and keep at least one in the lance with range

okay for later mid game I stayed in the golden boy
now end game I've just stayed in stalker 3-F
lance in KingCrab , Mal 1-R, and Nightstar

#51 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:16 AM

View PostThorasta, on 18 December 2019 - 12:01 AM, said:

Opinion: I feel the Thunderbolt is the most useful mech early - late midgame.

I'm defining useful as in it gets dropped more than any of my other mechs at 300 tonnage and below. It is big enough to pack a whallop on higher ton missions. It is small enough to fit with a medium and two lights on low tonnage missions.

I find the Thunderbolt super useful in MW5, and have been known to drop 3 or even 4 of them at a time. I love the hero TopDog as well, with it's numerous energy slots.

The reason why I love it is because it seems to be tanky A.F. and most of it's weapons are torso mounted, so when the arms go, you still got something to shoot.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users