Do You Prefer Inner Sphere Or Clan 'mechs?

BattleMechs

93 replies to this topic

#61 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 May 2020 - 03:06 PM

I have more nostalgia and role-playing connection to IS mechs.

If I want to max out individual performance in solo queue it's definitely mostly clan mechs that fit the bill though.

Balance is reasonably close now I'd say. It's interesting that so many people say clan mechs have been "nerfed too much" and yet it's pretty much impossible to argue that Clan mechs are weaker than IS mechs. I'm not sure what the comp meta is right now but I seriously doubt it's all dominated by IS. In Faction play it seems balanced as well, when we face comparable units it doesn't matter who is clan or is. Seems to me they were nerfed just about the right amount. The right way? Maybe not, but that's another discussion.

#62 Princess Riikka

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:18 AM

Well, four of the five 'Mechs I use when I bother to play are IS. I still love my EbJag but it's not actually fun any more. Woo, wow, I get a Super Soaker and some paintball markers that all somehow need high accuracy and the rest of my life in face time. Actual face time, too, not like "they can't actually hurt me but I'm looking at them" face time. Everything's slow, slow, slow except the 'Mechs run a bit faster. Maybe they'll nerf that too.

Meanwhile, IS is all about variety and has it in weapons, 'Mechs, engine choice, none of which feels like so much garbage. What little flavour this game has left is in IS. I'm sure PGI is working on getting rid of that too.

TL;DR: IS is more fun thanks to years of mindless nerfing and superior weapon variety and feel.

#63 Droolcup Commando

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 40 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:59 AM

I play clan 100% of the time but early on when i first started playing i picked up a couple thunderbolts (back when they could PPC meta like mad) Even bought the Thunderbolt hero mech in honor of my training wheels.

Also Nova is my favorite mech (own every variant and the hero)

#64 Leadpaintchips

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 05:59 AM

Personally, I like the idea of omni mechs, but their execution is a bit lacking (there's no reason to run a So8 compared to mix and match weapon hardpoints).

That being said, most of my mechs are IS just because of the variety. There's so many chassis that just feel different from anything else in the game, and variety will keep me playing a game longer than anything else.

I wouldn't give up what few clan mechs I own though. You can pry my Warrant out of it's bay only when the servers are shut down purely out of nostalgia. Piranhas are the champs of humping legs. The Revenant is so flexible, we can run whatever the heck we want with it. My Death Strike was my money maker up until I got a Sleipnir up and running, and it's a lot more flexible in it's builds.

#65 letir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 08:52 AM

I prefer IS mechs for durability. They are simply easer to drive around and wreck faces even in unfavorable odds. Mechs with small profile and additional durability like Bushwacker, Crab, Wolverine, Champion or Catapult in my hands tank much better than bulky clanners.

Also, agility - some clan chassis got nerfbat in the knee, like Hellfire vs Champion/Dragon/Quickdraw.

There is also noob-friendly weapons like RACs and MRMs, alongside with stronger pinpoint options with ACs and Heavy PPC. Clan lasers taking forever to unload and heating like crazy, pretty much defeating point of smaller heatsinks.

Fixed loadouts with good quirks also work better than nailed omnipods and restricted upgrade options. Sometimes there is pretty incoveniet locations with stuff which cannot be relocated, or choice between good hardpoints in the hull and quirks.

#66 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:32 AM

IS mechs op, plz nerf. kthxbai

#67 FlavioDyR4m

Rookie

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:05 AM

Clans ofc.

IS are so boring
The only mechs I appriciate of IS is the grass and Warhammer

Edited by pepeflav, 17 May 2020 - 06:06 AM.

#68 Zirconium Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 12:44 PM

Any mech I can actually cover my torso with arms.

#69 Johnny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 235 posts
  • Locationah hah!

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:21 PM

Surprisingly, IS mechs are my favorite right now. Between all the new weapons and the Quirks, I really love the Quirks and all the weird builds that can follow them.

Also, how satisfying are the Rotary cannons to fire? I mean, how great! the sound, the visual, the effect... and being able to walk the fire? too cool for school. And to be honest I can't say they are better than the other ACs but dang shooting them is sooo satisfying.

More of This!

#70 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:35 PM

i generally don't have a preference one way or the other.

#71 KeZangaren777

• Pip
  • Shredder
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 July 2022 - 09:41 PM

Clanmech. I love Alien Looking Mech Like Linebacker, Marauder and Blood Asp

#72 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 July 2022 - 05:57 AM

I'm on the fence i like them all, Is are great to tinker with, Clan Alpha laser spam is overpowered.. so both..

My fav mech is Inner sphere though.

#73 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 06:17 AM

View PostKeZangaren777, on 10 July 2022 - 09:41 PM, said:

Clanmech. I love Alien Looking Mech Like Linebacker, Marauder and Blood Asp

Marauder is IS. Marauder iIC is a Clan 'Mech.

#74 Dekallis

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 06:10 PM

I will always prefer advanced tech with a slight preference for energy weapons which generally means piloting clan mechs or clan upgrades of IS mechs. Essentially I don't care where it came from I just want the most advanced/sophisticated Mechs C-bills can buy.

#75 Zeddicuus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 08:57 AM

I've always leaned towards the clan mechs myself, though my son prefers the IS mechs because he likes the heavier armor and access to more PPC style gameplay. In MWO I'm particularly loving the omnimechs, gives me all kinds of ways to modify my clan mechs to suit nearly whatever I want, so rarely do I feel a need to own more than one of that mech!

Exceptions for the Timberwolf/MADCAT of course! I enjoy those enough I got two so I don't have to constant swap between my favoured playstyles for that one.

#76 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 09:31 AM

It sort don't matter if it's an omnimech since all mechs have one set who will always be better than any possible combination.
Omnimechs means that you buy more mechs because you need the parts from hero mechs. With IS mech you don't know how it will perform but once tested and it doesn't achieve the expectations it's sold because you never going to use the mech ever.

Clan has the best light mechs and the light mechs are moving faster than the speed of the mech because the speed isn't scaled to the size. This means that light mechs are faster while being smaller. The engine size and weight is the same for all mechs while the mech itself is able to travel as fast while being smaller. It would be as if we downscale a car and the car engine has increased in horsepower because the car is smaller but the engine itself should be smaller because the car is smaller. This creates the problem that light mechs aren't traveling at 130kph but closer to 150kph because it travels based on its own dimension of size. Relatively the mech has gained speed by becoming smaller while its legs has become smaller as well. The engine has increased in size because the mech is smaller.

That's why engines on light mechs based on clans are superior because clan only has two stages while IS has 3 stages meaning that the size of mech makes the engine better because the mech is smaller while the size of the engine hasn't changed from being installed on an assault to a light mech.To fix this dimension the light mechs would be banned from using any XL engines. Only then is it brought back to a balance because light mechs are traveling faster based on the dimension of the mech. That's why clan light mechs are superior as they're allowed to fit engines who are bigger than XL engines since it won't matter what size of the mech, it will always occupy the same space even if the engine in question is bigger.

#77 ArmandTulsen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 12:07 AM

My performance is way better in clan mechs. It's the difference in weapons. Clan weapons make you play more carefully, because they're usually higher risk, higher reward.

#78 Gezkill

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 12:32 AM

IS 'Mechs 100%. Clan 'Mechs are soo god damn useless that it makes my eyes bleed. They haven't got any update to their Tech in years. Their weapons generate way to much heat, have too high of a cool down and to offset the weapons damage output they add in stupid little quirks that just make the weapon friggen useless in the game.

All in all you want a decent 'Mech that doesn't require any stupid gimmicks stick to IS 'Mechs.

Edited by Gezkill, 18 July 2022 - 01:29 AM.

#79 Akamia Terizen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 12:53 AM

I have been a Clan player for pretty much the entirety of my involvement with the BattleTech franchise starting with MechWarrior 2. While I do use Inner Sphere designs periodically, I will always prefer my favorite Clan ’Mechs.

#80 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 02:03 AM

For T1-100% you can only use Clan-Metaish-Mechs.
There you can then play around till you fall to 60-50% then grind again!

Else IS for fun

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users