#421 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,363 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:43 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 10 February 2020 - 07:05 PM, said:

It's because everyone who plays FP, more or less, understands the value of health pooling. So you don't see many rotations because rotations will typically present less players than the amount of players in any one or more power positions.

I think you put too much trust in FP players. There's a far more obvious reason why nascar isn't popular in FW: RE-SPAWNING. Re-spawned mechs have the bad habit of appearing in the flanks or even in the back of nascards, what is worse they appear fresh so the would be nascar death ball is first pinned down and then becomes prey of its intended prey. Nascar relays on constant movement, if the enemy manages to mount a defensive firing line or worse to lure the nascar into a cross-fire the nascards are done, this happens naturally in FW.

#422 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,961 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:49 AM

Oh, I pointed that out to them already, as did Xiphias. But they're sure that it has to be player culture - I'm skeptical of this claim because it's inconsistent with reality. If nascar is a result of player culture that came out of the big engine stomp meta of years gone by, you should see attenuation of that practice once the meta went away. But you don't; it happens in quickplay and on QP maps in faction play - with FP matches showing the tactic at a far lower rate. Prototelis and Hazeclaw have argued that this is due to player knowledge and - in Hazeclaw's case - moral superiority and altruism in FP versus selfishness and backstabbing in QP. "Everyone I Don't Like ..." The idea is, this demonstrates that none of the mechanical factors of the game are significant, and it's all players' choice.
This is technically possible, but I think it's highly unlikely. Hazeclaw (after accusing me of incoherence) backed right off of the idea that Faction Play players "look out for each other," while still insisting that it's the players that make the difference, rather than the match mechanics. But the most significant variable, by far, is that respawn mechanic. There's no way to know how the set of FP players intersects with the set of QP players, but we know for a fact that the mechanics differ in significant ways. Occam's Razor comes into play here.

Players who rotate are not selish, greedy jackasses who deliberately screw their teammates over for their own advancement. That's literally unprovable, so to claim that this must be the case is dishonest. Everyone whose tactics I dislike isn't {Godwin's Law}, either.

It's also unlikely, though technically possible, that Prototelis' view is correct, and that players on QP maps in Faction Play have made a calculated analysis of how much time it takes to nascar, guestimated total time to kill, estimated that they can kill the entire team before respawns return to the fight, and then still made a conscious decision not to nascar... Or it could be that the game mode format and knowledge that enemies might respawn behind them is affecting player behavior.

Put another way... which is more likely: That random players act in significantly different ways in different formats on the same maps because their attitudes and knowledge are superior - or that the radical differences in the Faction Play format affect player tactics? Even if I thought the former explanation was equally plausible, the latter is far simpler - and thus far more likely to be true.

Edited by Void Angel, 11 February 2020 - 01:02 AM.

#423 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 01:01 AM

View PostBrizna, on 10 February 2020 - 10:43 PM, said:

There's a far more obvious reason why nascar isn't popular in FW: RE-SPAWNING.

Already covered.

Respawn times, travel time, and only being able to reinforce a few at a time more or less make them irrelevant in the event of a dual rotation.

So no, it isn't the respawn mechanic that is the huge deterrent.

#424 Rustyhammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSydney, AU

Posted 11 February 2020 - 01:22 AM

It's the same tonnage, speed and builds tailored to the specific map that stop nascar in FP, not re-spawns.

Look at the maps where you need to walk significant distance to the main engagement area, i.e Forest Colony, Polar Highlands, Grim Plexus, etc - still no nascar on these maps. A bit of rotation and flanking but not nascar.

It's 100% subjective, but Caustic is the map where I noticed attempts to nascar most often and this map have spawn points very close to the rotation spot. Even on HPG I saw less attempts to nascar comparing to Caustic.

#425 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 02:22 AM

Mostly on caustic what you see are teams treating either the left or right side of the bowl as an anchor or power position, and then the wave winning team moving towards the losers spawn.

Caustic and Polar are both cancer in FP for a few reasons.

#426 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,961 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:18 AM

View PostRustyhammer, on 11 February 2020 - 01:22 AM, said:

It's the same tonnage, speed and builds tailored to the specific map that stop nascar in FP, not re-spawns.

Look at the maps where you need to walk significant distance to the main engagement area, i.e Forest Colony, Polar Highlands, Grim Plexus, etc - still no nascar on these maps. A bit of rotation and flanking but not nascar.

It's 100% subjective, but Caustic is the map where I noticed attempts to nascar most often and this map have spawn points very close to the rotation spot. Even on HPG I saw less attempts to nascar comparing to Caustic.

A good argument; in any case it's the game format, not the moral superiority of players.

#427 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:43 AM

The game format has little to do with it, nor do morals lol. Like wut even lol.

It's the players and the fact that NSR won't work on even remotely coordinated teams.

But by all means; continue to toss word salad about a game mode you don't play.

Edited by Prototelis, 11 February 2020 - 04:58 AM.

#428 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,961 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:27 AM

Try keeping up with the conversation before you try to dismiss my reasoning. If you're more expert, you could tell me why I'm wrong - with something other than "it's the players, because I think so." Instead, you've just started to throw out snark, and dismiss arguments as "word salad," because you don't have an argument of your own.

It's always sad to see someone lose an argument ungracefully.

#429 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:55 AM

I am keeping up with the conversation; you're wrong.

#430 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:13 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 11 February 2020 - 03:43 AM, said:

It's the players and the fact that NSR won't work on even remotely coordinated teams.

Look P. I know you have you're own quirky definitions that people don't agree with but can we please agree on one thing.

This is a NSR:

Posted Image

If you're going to keep redefining terms we're going to keep going in circles...

#431 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:34 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 11 February 2020 - 05:13 AM, said:

If you're going to keep redefining terms we're going to keep going in circles...

Which has become the sole reason for this thread's ongoing existence...

Also, Lap 22. A good Nascar Race goes 500 laps, or so I've heard.

#432 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 06:12 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 11 February 2020 - 05:13 AM, said:

This is a NSR:

NSR, in relation to in game action, is "No Skill Rush."

Try to keep up with the conversation.

#433 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:43 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 11 February 2020 - 05:34 AM, said:

Which has become the sole reason for this thread's ongoing existence...

Also, Lap 22. A good Nascar Race goes 500 laps, or so I've heard.

Be reasonable. Even getting this far wasn't easy. Peoples feelings were hurt. Maybe we can aim for 50, but even that's a stretch.

#434 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:46 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 11 February 2020 - 06:12 AM, said:

NSR, in relation to in game action, "No Skill Rush"

Try to keep up with the conversation.

At what point did you define NSR as no skill rush? Honestly I thought you were using it as shorthand for NaScaR... It would make sense given the subject of this thread.

#435 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:58 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 11 February 2020 - 07:46 AM, said:

At what point did you define NSR as no skill rush?

I never did, I never needed to.

NSR is the primary component of a rotation which are in turn (see what I did there) the components necessary for the dual rotation event.

Edited by Prototelis, 11 February 2020 - 08:01 AM.

#436 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:21 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 11 February 2020 - 07:46 AM, said:

At what point did you define NSR as no skill rush? Honestly I thought you were using it as shorthand for NaScaR... It would make sense given the subject of this thread.

NSR has always stood for no skill rush. Has also been used as no skill ret**ds

Edited by Vxheous, 11 February 2020 - 08:27 AM.

#437 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:45 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 11 February 2020 - 12:49 AM, said:

stuff

Big engine stomp meta went away? When?

I never said I don't like anyone. Just that behavior displayed by the vast majority of players in QP is selfish and cowardly. And I stand by it. When I play qp with my drunken alt I also nascar often, and am acting selfish, many games are lost that would otherwise be won if my team, myself included, didn't nascar, but in QP you're either a selfish *******, or you're being used as a speed bump by selfish ********.

Faction play players absolutely on average look out for each other quite a bit compared to QP. FP drops are normally not made of 24 solo players. As I've said there are a lot of groups dropping. Generally speaking FP players grouped together are often friends with comms and tend to try to protect each other, because they understand that pooling their health together increases their chances of winning dramatically. There is also a much more common understanding of power positions and a bigger element of trust. This type of mentality is encouraged, and abandoning your team is discouraged which is the opposite of QP (that's certainly not to say there aren't players and even units who frequently sandbag their team in FP, but they are exceptions). This is even more visible in comp, where both teams are often groups of friends who play and train together, and there are no solo players.

It's already been explained that although the respawn mechanic may be a variable, it's an inconsequential one because pretty much all maps allow for nascar to take place before respawns can intervene (maaaaaybe caustic, if the rotation is happening at just the right time in the right place you can get shots shortly after leaving spawn)

#438 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:28 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 11 February 2020 - 07:58 AM, said:

NSR is the primary component of a rotation which are in turn (see what I did there) the components necessary for the dual rotation event.

A rush is a direct push on an objective (which can be the enemy position). It is a direct attack, not a component of a rotation.

#439 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:35 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 11 February 2020 - 10:28 AM, said:

A rush is a direct push on an objective (which can be the enemy position). It is a direct attack, not a component of a rotation.

NSR refers to pusha pusha pusha without thought, your objective could be to try to rotate behind the enemy team while ignoring the fact the enemy team is already rotating into your teams back

#440 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:50 AM

The objective is this games equivalent to rush b.

It usually ends horribly, but it is exactly what fuels rotation.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users