Players New To Mwo:

81 replies to this topic

#41 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:58 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 08 January 2020 - 08:32 PM, said:

save screenshot and send to pgi support. They will ban players for this. I've heard lots of jokes dropped about cadets in trial mechs, but I've never seen someone get shot for it, that's bs and unacceptable

Is there a way to gather said info after the fact like a post game report? If not ill know for the future. I thought from reading these forums that PGI had all but abandoned the game. Thanks for the info.

#42 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:14 PM

they have, but apparently they still ban people who break their tos, but you have to actually email them evidence, the in game reporting system does nothing. Just make sure it's not just some friends goofing off, I've probably been artied by my unit mates at the end of the drop as many times as by enemies

#43 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:26 PM

Oh ive gotten accidentally LRMd more times then I can count from people losing their locks etc but it never does that much dmg. Even an air strike I usually get away from the smoke and its more spread out dmg. Im talking armor gone, CT exposed and thats it with me looking around behind me for a stealth light somewhere only to see team mates. Anyways thanks again for the tips.

Edited by Winter VII, 08 January 2020 - 09:28 PM.

#44 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:09 PM

I have never seen a new player TK'd for dropping a trial mech, but I have seen them be razzed and rightfully so.

#45 Ssamout

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationPihalla

Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:48 AM

View PostWinter VII, on 08 January 2020 - 06:57 PM, said:

It's also easy to blame low damage numbers on new players, but what excuse do the stacked hero mech bay players have for sub 1k? I drop 2x Dakka Assault, 1x SRM Huntsman, 1x Piranha on most and its rather easy to get north of 1k. 1k is below average most games when half the team is over 2k. <-- Those guys are the ones I want to learn from.

Point of my story was that there is not an infinite amount of damage to farm in a match. And every match is different based on how good players and or teams are present in a match and what map and weapons are used.

When my unit was playing full force it was really hard to get over 2k damage bcause everyone was so efficient at killing, and about same skill range. Also we played a lot as a group. A lot of matches where there was no real opposition our damage numbers were in 800-1500 range.

Learn to read that end of match screen and analyse did u do good or not.

My best damage matches are in 4k range and 20+ kills with direct fire, but that requires bad team mates and slightly better enemies, not too bad mind you. They have to be good enough so that they dont die too fast.

#46 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:48 AM

View PostSsamout, on 09 January 2020 - 05:48 AM, said:

Point of my story was that there is not an infinite amount of damage to farm in a match. And every match is different based on how good players and or teams are present in a match and what map and weapons are used.

When my unit was playing full force it was really hard to get over 2k damage bcause everyone was so efficient at killing, and about same skill range. Also we played a lot as a group. A lot of matches where there was no real opposition our damage numbers were in 800-1500 range.

Learn to read that end of match screen and analyse did u do good or not.

My best damage matches are in 4k range and 20+ kills with direct fire, but that requires bad team mates and slightly better enemies, not too bad mind you. They have to be good enough so that they dont die too fast.

That makes perfect sense and was well articulated. I misunderstood your original post to be more of a measuing contest instead of informative.

---

Maybe this event is just bringing out the bad side of FW. Idk but there are plenty of salty players whether new or old or on smurf accounts. There is nothing wrong with hazing a bit, but the experience in FW is fairly toxic to new players or at least has been. Almost like there is a set expectation that everyone knows all the strats on all the maps dropping all the meta builds.

Yesterday we had a decent first wave clean up 12-3. Somone makes the call to push up a little to head off the next wave. Many follow. Get pushed hard take some losses. Mind you no one said a word prior or during that play. But after the losses. Chat blows up multiple saying how stupid that play was and that you're supposed to hide in D5 the whole game because Unit blah is on the other team etc. I mean how are we supposed to know that if we are playing a certain map, and that a certain try hard unit that plays a certain way is on the other team, that we have to use this specific strat and not move up to better cover ever. I mean I get it most are in some other comms outside of the game, but if you don't talk, you don't get to bash players because the followed a plan that on paper seemed to be an okay idea.

Also the whole "Learn the Maps" comment. Aren't some of the maps limited to only FP? Same with some game types? So how can those be learned outside of the game mode? You can't practice having full lances charging in to brawl over and over in QP just saying...

Edited by Winter VII, 09 January 2020 - 05:53 AM.

#47 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:40 AM

It sounds like you need to worry a little less about what others are saying and just play the game :) everyone gets salty to varying degrees when they are losing

#48 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:30 AM

I could care less, I'm saying there are more then a few new/returning players who aren't having fun due to what I have described in my posts. PGI's lack luster handling isn't the only thing pushing people away.

#49 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:36 PM

View PostWinter VII, on 09 January 2020 - 08:30 AM, said:

I could care less, I'm saying there are more then a few new/returning players who aren't having fun due to what I have described in my posts. PGI's lack luster handling isn't the only thing pushing people away.

Honestly, FW isn't very fun unless you have a consistent group that you play with all the time, or you're an extremely good player than can hard carry matches despite playing with a bad team handicap. Ssamout is also right about damages not telling the whole story.
Picture 1: Two EmP dropping into faction:
Posted Image

Picture 2: 10 EmP dropping into faction:
Posted Image

In picture 1, I could rack up huge damage since there wasn't really anyone besides Adette that could really match my skill. Picture 2, the rest of the World Championship team is playing, and it was a feeding frenzy, whoever actually got to drop (and land strikes) and who got to farm the opponent's dropzone harder got the most damage. Everything dies extremely quick, cause the focus fire/precision is there.

Edited by Vxheous, 09 January 2020 - 11:35 PM.

#50 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:50 PM

I had the dubious distinction of being the biggest ******* on the team in that second pic. It was an honor.

Edited by BlaizerP, 09 January 2020 - 10:50 PM.

#51 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 09 January 2020 - 11:13 PM

View PostVxheous, on 09 January 2020 - 09:36 PM, said:

Honestly, FW isn't very fun unless you have a consistent group that you play with all the time

Even then... You end up with 8man of Tier 5 users and they lose to basically a PUG team with - at best - 2 OK players.

Posted Image

And the worst part, I was essentially dropzone farmed after Wave 1 and still did the highest damage out of the other 23. So just because you're in a unit or a group - if you bring:
  • BAD builds
  • Trial mechs
  • Unskilled mechs
  • Mass LRMs
  • Have EXTREMELY bad strats
  • Bring 2-5 Light/Meds first wave against enemy Assault/Heavy mechs.
You will still get flogged in an exceptionally bad way. Many units out there in 8-12man, large groups - basically stuff the above 6 things up and get absolutely slaughtered. And I refuse to accept the cry of "but we still had fun". Like getting farmed in your Dropzone in a 8-man was "fun". Bollocks it was.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 09 January 2020 - 11:24 PM.

#52 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:24 AM

View PostVxheous, on 05 January 2020 - 07:59 AM, said:

You cant skill ERLL Battlemasters in quick play, they are not suited for it

It is definitely a pain in the ***. You can change the build though and it's not overly bad - BLR-1G

LFE350 is extremely useful across many mechs and with 20DHS, you can just Alpha 5LL and re-position constantly or do the ole 3+2 if you have chance to fire for a while.

Get a decent ~530m or so (no skills) - good for all QP matches for the most part.

#53 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:16 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 09 January 2020 - 11:13 PM, said:

And the worst part, I was essentially dropzone farmed after Wave 1 and still did the highest damage out of the other 23. So just because you're in a unit or a group - if you bring:
  • BAD builds
  • Trial mechs
  • Unskilled mechs
  • Mass LRMs
  • Have EXTREMELY bad strats
  • Bring 2-5 Light/Meds first wave against enemy Assault/Heavy mechs.
You will still get flogged in an exceptionally bad way. Many units out there in 8-12man, large groups - basically stuff the above 6 things up and get absolutely slaughtered. And I refuse to accept the cry of "but we still had fun". Like getting farmed in your Dropzone in a 8-man was "fun". Bollocks it was.

Yeah everyone says just have fun... Dropping into a massacre is not fun. Winning is fun. Losing while still getting insane damage and kills, while trying to win is also somewhat fun. I was sticking to the "new players" defense, but I think many vets are just as "uneducated" or "unwilling to learn". Some new players watch and read up on strats and mech builds, but that isn't enough to prepare you for the hundreds of ways a match can change because of poor calls or bad teams. Started rotating my deck mech's in and out to better fill the necessary roles. I like dropping two dakka assaults to get first 2 hard waves of damage, but on maps like polar I was dreadfully out ranged so I started looking to build like a PPC/ERLL or even a 6x AC2/LBX2 etc. It's just tough dropping pug style because its always upto luck on whether anyone takes command or anyone even uses comms etc. When you do hear comms its LRM boats asking for targets to waste their missiles against quad AMS Corsairs... then they complain why isn't the team killing the corsairs....

I think the #1 Issue the frequent times we lose is due to poor start, bad comms, and no one knowing what to do.

Edited by Winter VII, 10 January 2020 - 09:41 AM.

#54 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:30 PM

View PostWinter VII, on 10 January 2020 - 07:16 AM, said:

I think the #1 Issue the frequent times we lose is due to poor start, bad comms, and no one knowing what to do.

That isn't it.

The #1 issue is... Poor/Bad builds.

I just saw you bring a MCII-B to Polar... I farms your arms in a matter of 45s, legit. Cause Dakka is just a bad choice for Polar Highlands.

FP is always about builds first and strat later. Don't briing a 550m build to a 1200m fight. You will get farmed all day/all night.

#55 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:38 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 10 January 2020 - 12:30 PM, said:

That isn't it.

The #1 issue is... Poor/Bad builds.

I just saw you bring a MCII-B to Polar... I farms your arms in a matter of 45s, legit. Cause Dakka is just a bad choice for Polar Highlands.

FP is always about builds first and strat later. Don't bring a 550m build to a 1200m fight. You will get farmed all day/all night.

You can blame that match on poor loadouts, or you could blame it on no one knowing what to do that match. The only comms were oh **** they're charging us and ATM guy asking for tags and narcs... Your team was coordinated enough to troll us with what 2? 3? full lances of assassins on first drop? Then followed by at least 2 full lances of ERLL lol. Come on blame the loadouts all you want but it was a one sided battle the whole time lol. Obviously you like to troll since you felt the need to switch to clan chat to **** talk DA-G the match after you destroyed them and how ****** their dmg numbers were and and then switch right back to IS to troll us right after in the exact match you are bringing up lol.

Also I'm aware of needing a more ranged deck, I.E. why in my previous post I said I was looking to build out some ERLL/PPC or LBX2/AC2 builds.

#56 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 03:32 PM

This last one was quite fun. When the team saw what was a rather stacked team the first "plan" was run out of bounds over and over. The second plan was rush the flag over and over to get it over with lol. Plan 2 was executed quite brilliantly lol. The advice to new players should be just go into FW fully stacked with vet units or roll over and die lol. Can't complain though we had tons of comms, rather hilarious comms to be honest so take what you can get I guess.

Edited by Winter VII, 10 January 2020 - 03:36 PM.

#57 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 03:38 PM

View PostWinter VII, on 10 January 2020 - 01:38 PM, said:

You can blame that match on poor loadouts, or you could blame it on no one knowing what to do that match. The only comms were oh **** they're charging us and ATM guy asking for tags and narcs... Your team was coordinated enough to troll us with what 2? 3? full lances of assassins on first drop? Then followed by at least 2 full lances of ERLL lol. Come on blame the loadouts all you want but it was a one sided battle the whole time lol. Obviously you like to troll since you felt the need to switch to clan chat to **** talk DA-G the match after you destroyed them and how ****** their dmg numbers were and and then switch right back to IS to troll us right after in the exact match you are bringing up lol.

Also I'm aware of needing a more ranged deck, I.E. why in my previous post I said I was looking to build out some ERLL/PPC or LBX2/AC2 builds.

Warhawk Prime (4 ERPPC)/ Mad IIc (5ERLL) + 2 Hellbringers (4ERLL) + anything under 40 tons of your choice makes a good long range deck. For the Hellbringers, the Virago works best, but it's a Hero mech, and can be costly. Here's a bunch of long ranged builds for you:

Dire Wolf Prime (with Hero Ultraviolet omnipods):
Posted Image

Mad IIc with 5 ERLL:
Posted Image

Warhawk Prime 4 ERPPC:
Posted Image

Hellbringer Virago with 4 ERLL + TC5 (TC is personal preference, I run TC7 for Comp, and anywhere between TC3-5 for FW)
Posted Image

Hellbringer non hero 4ERLL (if you can't afford a Virago):
Posted Image

Rifleman IIc-2 with 5 CAC-2:
Posted Image

For Poptart purposes:

Summoner with 3 ERPPC:
Posted Image

Vapor Eagle with 3 ERPPC:
Posted Image

Alternate CERPPC boats (mounts aren't as good, but can work)

Nova Cat Prime:
Posted Image

Rifleman IIc
Posted Image

Full Troll:

6 ERPPC Dire Wolf (or 8 ERLL, and just stand on a hill and full blue lasers for ages):
Posted Image

Edited by Vxheous, 10 January 2020 - 03:46 PM.

#58 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 03:38 PM

View PostWinter VII, on 10 January 2020 - 03:32 PM, said:

This last one was quite fun. When the team saw what was a rather stacked team the first &quot;plan&quot; was run out of bounds over and over. The second plan was rush the flag over and over to get it over with lol. The advice to new players should be Fk loadouts just go into FW fully stacked with vet units or roll over and die.
as someone who never drops with more than 4 people in a group, I will say my advice is never suicide or roll over or gen rush. You get better by actually playing against the stacked teams. When we drop, we call for our pugs and try our best to make whatever they bring work to either win or make it a competitive game. Giving up or hoping to run into worse players will just leave you stagnant and unable to get better.

#59 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 03:39 PM

View PostWinter VII, on 10 January 2020 - 03:32 PM, said:

This last one was quite fun. When the team saw what was a rather stacked team the first "plan" was run out of bounds over and over. The second plan was rush the flag over and over to get it over with lol. Plan 2 was executed quite brilliantly lol. The advice to new players should be just go into FW fully stacked with vet units or roll over and die lol. Can't complain though we had tons of comms, rather hilarious comms to be honest so take what you can get I guess.

Intentionally suiciding is a bannable offense, so probably shouldn't do that.

#60 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 04:02 PM

View PostVxheous, on 10 January 2020 - 03:38 PM, said:

AWESOME DETAILED BUILDS

I can't quote the whole thread, but this is awesome and appreciated! Going to take a break from the queue, and sit down with these for a bit.

View Postccrider, on 10 January 2020 - 03:38 PM, said:

as someone who never drops with more than 4 people in a group, I will say my advice is never suicide or roll over or gen rush. You get better by actually playing against the stacked teams. When we drop, we call for our pugs and try our best to make whatever they bring work to either win or make it a competitive game. Giving up or hoping to run into worse players will just leave you stagnant and unable to get better.

Yeah so I guess I haven't experienced much of that, and to be honest what difference would it make if I tried when the rest of the team says yolo and just wants to get it over and done. I haven't seen that many mics light up before period.

View PostVxheous, on 10 January 2020 - 03:39 PM, said:

Intentionally suiciding is a bannable offense, so probably shouldn't do that.

Sadly players would rather suicide and end the game rather then play against what at the time appear to be stacked teams...

Mind you I haven't been around long enough to know anything about any units so this isn't just me talking i'm just presenting what I have experienced so far in my small tenure in MWO. I guess to speak up for the new players which, yes we do exist, and more and more by the day. In Clan chat at least asking build questions etc.

From what I can gather from the chats: EmP, EVIL, BCMC and a few others I can't recall appear to be well hated/feared to the point where it leads people to do what you are describing. Where it leads people to come together with a common objective. I've tried countless times to get people to coordinate to win, but I guess all it takes is loading up and seeing certain unit tags on the other team.

Edited by Winter VII, 10 January 2020 - 04:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users