Solo And Group Queue Combined For Next 4 Weeks

85 replies to this topic

#21 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:20 AM

View PostXmith, on 27 April 2020 - 07:40 PM, said:

Yeah right. Imo, T1 players would rather play lower tiers because it is easier. It takes off some of the pressure of playing at T1 levels of play. As everyone know there are a lot of T1 players playing in lower tiers including yourself it appears. Half your team could be T1 players for all you know.

I'm looking forward to this experiment. We are just testing. Doesn't hurt to try something different for a while.

>T1
>pressure

How about no.

My entry to T1 was realizing that it was literally the same level of skill as before, only the players had more time to play badly to get there thanks to the massively positive PSR bias. Precious little changed in solo queue, other than not seeing T4 newbies vs. T1-3 noobs.

#22 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 28 April 2020 - 12:13 PM

I'm open to this but very skeptical.

Streamers and friends often sync-drop, so its not like coordination in small groups hasn't already been happening. Also, frequent solo queue players recognize who's pretty good, and can see when matchmaker has stacked one side over the other; lopsided teams sometimes lose anyway... usually after I make the comment "wow, we're pretty stacked" Posted Image

Concerns about the competitive segment of the game mixing into the casual player base are legit. I left group queue altogether because I felt like cannon fodder, repeatedly placed against competitive-oriented players I had no interest playing with.

Maybe matchmaker mixes it up enough. Maybe the competitive-oriented players cancel each other out. Maybe this ends up working really well. I'm going to be hopeful until I try it Posted Image

#23 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 02:58 PM

Maybe that is his plan, all the good faction players will go to qp to farm us potatoes for lol’s. And will force the potatoes to go to faction play. Then PGI can say see the majority of people play FP. Problem fixed..

#24 Lord Marshmallow

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 03:47 PM

so roll after roll so far. I'm done until this is no longer ridiculous.

#25 Droolcup Commando

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 40 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 April 2020 - 04:00 PM

i've said it before and ill say it again. Im happy for this change even if its only temporary.
I like playing this game with my friend/s and group que was a wash every time we tried to play it (no matches or always getting stuck against max pwnage groups).

Will i get stomped each run? most likely unless im on the competitive squads side.
I do feel that group size should have been limited to 2 tops for solo que. If you want to make a lance of friends and stomp people that sounds like group play only to me.

Also i have tried sync dropping with my friend over 30 times and it hasnt worked a single time for us. The fact we have a temporarily "working" way to play together instead of chancing it with sync drop or playing the waiting game in group que is nice. Even if we lose we do so with smile as we go down in flames.

Edited by Droolcup Commando, 28 April 2020 - 04:12 PM.

#26 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 28 April 2020 - 07:36 PM

Dropped duo, we won most of our matches I think, maybe 8/10? There were some really great games with people trying weird things, like actually doing objectives. We were running Lights and Mediums for the most part. More of this please!

#27 SMDMadCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 28 April 2020 - 09:41 PM

Already starting to see 4 man's own.

#28 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 29 April 2020 - 12:22 AM

So, in another thread, I asked what's being done to ...

1. Assess the threat value of a group. For e.g., a group of top comp players being treated as any other group of 4-man is a stupid thing to do and that's exactly what PGI has done.

2. A maximum of 4-man group per team is also not consistent 'cause a 2-man and a 3-man group have been put in the same team. So, my other question of how will the MM distribute the groups between the two teams and will it make sure that the split is even, is also not being achieved.

3. I also had asked if the mechs would be evenly distributed based on the weight brackets and PGI didn't do anything to address that. I've seen many matches where one team had 2 assaults and the other had 5. So, what's the maximum tonnage limitation of the entire team? Is that a better question to get an answer now?

While I'm here, I'd like to say that the tier system inside the groups has been done away with and I get that it's the way it is so that friends can group up regardless of tier system but what is the logic behind treating a group of Cadets or new'ish players in T4 as if they were the missing pieces of the puzzle in a T1 match containing experienced groups? Also, has anyone noticed solo cadets or t4/t5 players put in T1 matches? I have seen a few like that.

#29 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 12:30 AM

I'm not sure and have too little data, but mey early experiences from yesterday suggest that there is no such thing as T1 matches or T4 matches anymore. Just all kinds of players in the same queue. Investigation continues.

#30 Droolcup Commando

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 40 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 April 2020 - 12:36 AM

i played for about 5 hours today (3.5 of which were with my friend in a 2-man group) and heres what i saw

Several close matches around the range of 8-12
numerous wins
a few losses
2 full stomps (loss and wins)
A lot of comm and text speak where people were being silly and mostly having a good time.
So far i've seen an improvement over the typical anti-social solo que matches im used to but im aware that 5 hours of matches isnt exactly gonna be a perfect representation of the potential this merger has,

#31 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:00 AM

So me and som unit mates played 4-5 hors yesterday.

Better match quality than before, the groups work as a kind of anchor for the teams and enables other strategies than Nascar.

More communication than before, both from the groups and the solos.

Less stomps than I'm used to, especially more turnarounds from being down in kills to winning.

Of course there are some stomps when a very strong group can't be balanced, but didn't see a lot of that and for the most part the addition of groups seems to reduce rather than increase the snowballing.

It's awesome to finally be able to play the game casually with just a friend or two.

I didn't think this would work but it seems to work pretty well, I think it's a positive change and I hope it's here to stay.

#32 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:07 AM

I must say this measure to mix queues kills the game even faster.

Currently it is boiling down to roll or be rolled (both are not entertaining in my book) with only a few good matches in-between. If that were not enough, you have to listen to the boasting of some of the "pros" and excessive epeen waving and insulting of single players - which also serve as convenient scapegoats when their brilliant tactic backfires.

I think I will take a break for the remaining time and hope this gets rolled back to the original state.

Addendum: I stomached 5 games today. All were the above mentioned rolls one way or the other. That wasn't fun and I simply logged off. Time for a break again (after coming back from a 1.5 year break. That went quite fast , wasn't it?)

Edited by Weeny Machine, 29 April 2020 - 01:37 AM.

#33 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:30 AM

It's not going to be rolled back, PGI are being forced to consolidate the queues because of low population, get used to it.
Personally i'm having a better experience since the last time i played, so far anyways.

#34 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:41 AM

View PostKHETTI, on 29 April 2020 - 01:30 AM, said:

It's not going to be rolled back, PGI are being forced to consolidate the queues because of low population, get used to it.
Personally i'm having a better experience since the last time i played, so far anyways.

"Get used to it" ? Nope. I do not have to get used to anything in a GAME. I simply won't play anymore. Sure, I can speak only for myself but I am pretty sure I am not the only one. And maybe then the QP queue looks like the GQ...dead and empty because, let's be honest, if the majority of people wanted to play organized against each other, the group queue wouldn't be dead. So, what motivation do they have to play grouped in QP? I think we all know the answer.

At least more time to lower my game pile of shame a bit *looks at Bloodstained, Wasteland 2, Divinity 2*. See you in 4 weeks

Edited by Weeny Machine, 29 April 2020 - 01:44 AM.

#35 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 02:37 AM

I had a lot of fun yesterday.

The goodness may in part be a consequence of an unusually large player count, so we'll have to wait and see where the balance sets over the next weeks.

#36 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 04:01 AM

We played about five matches as a three man group. My son and I who are tier five noobs and a more experienced higher friend who was in a competitive unit but has been out of the game for several years but came in to play because he heard I was playing.
We had a lot of fun. Lost and won in fairly equal measure. Closest game 11-12 but had 12-6 and the rest were 12-2 type games. Most noticeable difference was games matched faster and secondly they escalated much faster. Most games over one way or another in like 5 minutes it felt like.

Some games had a lot more coms chatter then I was used to and more advice on mech builds. That was great.

i then later on played five drops as a single player and that felt more like what I was used to previously.

Edited by GARION26, 29 April 2020 - 04:01 AM.

#37 Black Caiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 04:21 AM

So I bet myself and some fellow Rangers/friends dropped in 15-20 mixed queue matches yesterday, and MUCH to my surprise the results were actually pretty good. A group of 3 or 4 can definitely have a profound affect on a match especially if youre running coordinated builds and have complimentary play styles. We ran into some 228 and MJ12 groups, but it wasn't a an automatic beatdown every time which it usually is in group play. I don't have stats to back it up, but Id say the matches seemed more competitive generally. Their were still some 12-0, 12-1, 12-2 results, but we had plenty of 12-11,12-10-,12-9 matches as well. As some mentioned before some teams were even playing objectives! Im not sure how the experience for the solo players was as a whole because I did very few solo drops. To me the key if youre solo is to identify the opposing group, and do your best to get them out early. All in all day was a favorable experience in my book. Hopefully it will continue!

#38 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 04:33 AM

Had some luck as a solo rushing objectives capping in conquest and Assault with a Flea with Max Capping Skills as soon as the game starts.
Its Fun and Satisfying.
FTW, Oh only 30 minutes premium time left...Toodles

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 29 April 2020 - 04:33 AM.

#39 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:01 AM

It's almost as if people are having fun, especially with friends. Who would have thought? I think it's probably a fair compromise to have fun while occasionally meeting a Very Good Group on the other side. As a few people mentioned, meeting The Pros didn't necessarily guarantee a win. I think I ran into a couple of JGX guys piloting Vulcans last night and we only just won that game, which was going badly for 2/3 of the match. On the whole we had a lot of close games, moreso than usual. But these changes are heavily population dependent so we shall see what happens.

#40 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:31 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 29 April 2020 - 05:01 AM, said:

It's almost as if people are having fun, especially with friends. Who would have thought? I think it's probably a fair compromise to have fun while occasionally meeting a Very Good Group on the other side. As a few people mentioned, meeting The Pros didn't necessarily guarantee a win. I think I ran into a couple of JGX guys piloting Vulcans last night and we only just won that game, which was going badly for 2/3 of the match. On the whole we had a lot of close games, moreso than usual. But these changes are heavily population dependent so we shall see what happens.

That's because you only hear from the people who were grouping and not the solo players, who are largely irrelevant in any match with a half decent premade. Playing the game solo sucks now. It's group or get farmed, which is bad. There's nothing I can do in the current quick play that I couldn't do in 8v8 group queue. The only thing I can't do now is enjoy a decent a solo match, because no such thing exists. PGI has patched it out of the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users