79 replies to this topic

#41 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 02:04 AM

View PostAkhri Mala, on 29 April 2020 - 02:48 PM, said:

I havea friend who tried this game and stopped playing because he said they kept "gging" him after every match.

He thought it meant "git gud" and they were insulting him.

So your friend did know he was doing bad because his subconcious told him "git gud"?
but for reals a bit thin skin once again...

#42 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 07:56 AM

View PostBrauer, on 29 April 2020 - 03:40 PM, said:

I've seen plenty of people act like idiots in real world sports, including pickup games. That's included individual players being selfish and cruel to less skilled players during a pickup soccer game, members of a coed intramural volleyball team trying to play without involving the women on their team and more. I don't think it's worse in the real world, and anonymity does lead to some behavior that you aren't likely to see out in the physical world, but it's not like physical proximity eliminates trash talk or bad behavior.

hm. maybe I'm lucky on this - maybe you are not; here's what I've seen.

been playing hockey as a youth for 10+ years, on a relatively high national, not international level; not ONCE did anybody in-team "troll", not once have the opponents been trolled.
everybody has been very clear about this: "don't be a d*ck, and we all have a good time".
ofc there has always been friendly banter, but that was just it.

in boardgames, TTs and Cardgames, I've seen hundreds (or more) very competetive tournaments, and there's like a handful of guys over that time that like to be a d*ck;
these people get to exactly ~one~ tournament, and aren't invited to further ones. nobody even tells them about the next one, nevermind carsharing the trip with him. just doesn't happen;

~nobody~ likes a douchêbag, and in real-world you aren't required to play with em AT ALL. hence, almost everybody tries to be on his best behavior.
same can be said in FW, Comp or GP here, as nobody "forces" you to take people into your group if you don't want them.
OTOH the matchmaker forces such people onto you if you're not a 12men and they get away with it and still find matches;
nevermind QP where everything is open.

I've developed quite a thick skin and don't mind all the gg-nonsense, the absence of it, the trolling etc. hey, it's a videogame, and I fully expect that some people are rude there, just because they can.
there's plenty of methods ingame to deal with em.
it's just/still sad that in a game mostly played by adults, quite a share of them behaves like they're not.
nothing some good accidental damage can't solve, though Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 30 April 2020 - 08:47 AM.

#43 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:57 AM

View PostCurccu, on 30 April 2020 - 02:04 AM, said:

So your friend did know he was doing bad because his subconcious told him "git gud"?
but for reals a bit thin skin once again...

Given some of the groups I've been with, "git gud" is actually the correct answer.

#44 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 April 2020 - 05:47 PM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 30 April 2020 - 07:56 AM, said:

in boardgames, TTs and Cardgames, I've seen hundreds (or more) very competetive tournaments, and there's like a handful of guys over that time that like to be a d*ck;
these people get to exactly ~one~ tournament, and aren't invited to further ones. nobody even tells them about the next one, nevermind carsharing the trip with him. just doesn't happen;

~nobody~ likes a douchêbag, and in real-world you aren't required to play with em AT ALL.

Being someone who plays somewhat competitive Magic the Gathering and to a lesser degree chess, there are douchebags and weirdos at every tournament. Nerd cultures tend to attract some of those types and my experience is they are tolerated as long as they don't break rules, in the worst cases they even have positions of influence and affect the general tone of events. Body odour is also a common problem.

Yeah so I really can't agree.

For high level sports you fairly often have attitude problems as well among the top athletes, at least in fighting sports like MMA and Boxing which are ones I've competed in some of the champions are complete douchebags, and generally even admired for it by their fans. It's a shame but it is what it is. Unfortunately the myth of the wise and respectful martial artist is mostly a myth, or at the very least there is not correlation between success and being a nice person in martial arts.

Edited by Sjorpha, 30 April 2020 - 05:49 PM.

#45 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 01 May 2020 - 02:28 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 30 April 2020 - 05:47 PM, said:

For high level sports you fairly often have attitude problems as well among the top athletes, at least in fighting sports like MMA and Boxing which are ones I've competed in some of the champions are complete douchebags, and generally even admired for it by their fans. It's a shame but it is what it is. Unfortunately the myth of the wise and respectful martial artist is mostly a myth, or at the very least there is not correlation between success and being a nice person in martial arts.

In combat sports there needs to be a certain level of psychopathy to remain competitive. If you feel bad for hurting and empathise with your opponent you're going to struggle. It's why I moved to none-combat sports.

#46 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:53 AM

People are D bags and you never get that from me

#47 Gladiolix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:43 PM

I tend to GG only to my team when it actually is a good game for us. If the match is good for both teams, whether win or alost I write it in all chat. I'm not majorly offended by enemies stomping my team and GGing us, but it's really not that good game if one team rolls the another.

#48 1e0n

• PipPip
  • The Icon
  • The Icon
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 02:38 AM

good ol WC2016 days when ppl were offended by ggclose so we were just spacebaring and ppl were still pissed cause they knew what it really meant...

Posted Image

#49 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 May 2020 - 04:32 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 01 May 2020 - 02:28 AM, said:

In combat sports there needs to be a certain level of psychopathy to remain competitive. If you feel bad for hurting and empathise with your opponent you're going to struggle. It's why I moved to none-combat sports.

That's probably a big factor yeah. I never really trained with the goal of competing, it was more like I was competing because that is best way to train and have fun. But there were some pretty scary people at some of those tournaments that would hold chokes and armbars etc just a little while too long after the tap to realistically be a mistake. Things like that made me quit competing eventually even though I was doing alright at the local level. Doing BJJ a little more casually now and so far it's all good fun.

#50 TheGreyWolfe

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 05:38 PM

This is really simple.
If you post gg after your team wins in any thing more than a 12-3 victory...
You are the sarcastic jerk.
Why is that so difficult?

#51 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 May 2020 - 05:53 PM

View PostTheGreyWolfe, on 03 May 2020 - 05:38 PM, said:

This is really simple.
If you post gg after your team wins in any thing more than a 12-3 victory...
You are the sarcastic jerk.
Why is that so difficult?

It is not that it is "difficult", it's that the term "gg" is also used as a routine handshake regardless of result in gaming generally.

You simply cannot infer that someone is a "sarcastic jerk" just because they post "gg" after matches, because it's very likely that the do it habitually after every match in every game they play as is common practice. It's just a fact that most "gg" have absolutely zero to do with the match result.

You can say it shouldn't be used that way, but it IS used that way and has been for literally decades. It's not going to change.

Edited by Sjorpha, 03 May 2020 - 05:54 PM.

#52 1e0n

• PipPip
  • The Icon
  • The Icon
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 03:01 AM

So im a "sarcastic jerk" (i am btw) if i say "gg" on my 12-3 stomp in which Curccu on enemy side gave his best and did more than 7 of his team mates combined?
Maybe for ppl who do less dmg than their ping that is an insult but to a guy who gave his max in a loss that is respect and his effort was appreciated.

#53 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:42 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 03 May 2020 - 05:53 PM, said:

It is not that it is "difficult", it's that the term "gg" is also used as a routine handshake regardless of result in gaming generally.

You simply cannot infer that someone is a "sarcastic jerk" just because they post "gg" after matches, because it's very likely that the do it habitually after every match in every game they play as is common practice. It's just a fact that most "gg" have absolutely zero to do with the match result.

You can say it shouldn't be used that way, but it IS used that way and has been for literally decades. It's not going to change.

I wish we could pin messages or highlight posts. This is exactly why people say "gg" after a game. It's as if some of you dorks never played a sport in your life. Even if you're part of the team that get's dunked on, you still do that routine "good game" hand shake line and file.

Unless you're one of those kids that got butthurt and refused to say anything or shake. Which would make sense if you have that mentality. Grow up.

Get over yourself. You call us sarcastic jerks, but I can't imagine just how massive your ego is.

Edit - I do want to say that trash talking as been around in video games, sports, and whatever else since time memorial. Get. Thicker. Skin.

OR, you can use the amazing feature of turning off all chat. Imagine how difficult it is to pull up settings and disabling something that takes less than a minute?

Edited by Avril Lavigne, 05 May 2020 - 05:44 AM.

#54 Laser Kiwi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:13 AM

means nothing, gg is just a courteous good game, almost like saying "bye" ill say gg every game, good bad or whatever, somebody probably had a good game, they can take it as they wish, who cares. Also its the internet, no repercussions really.

#55 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:50 AM

I've always interpreted "gg" as the greeting-card version of sportsmanship, typed post-match whether or not it's awkward. "o7" or a variation of the salute, on the other hand, has no negative connotation and has always struck me as a reminder that opposing players are more than likely going to end up on the same team before their sessions are through.

If someone is really trash-talking, though? Just use the block feature and they suddenly turn into a quiet, polite player. Great invention.

#56 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:24 AM

View PostEast Indy, on 16 May 2020 - 08:50 AM, said:

"o7" or a variation of the salute, on the other hand, has no negative connotation and has always struck me as a reminder that opposing players are more than likely going to end up on the same team before their sessions are through.

If someone is really trash-talking, though? Just use the block feature and they suddenly turn into a quiet, polite player. Great invention.

"o7" always makes me think of those airsoft memes:
Spoiler

As for trash talk, well that's the name of the game.

#57 Gilgamecc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 04:30 PM

trash talk eats trash cocc

#58 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 17 May 2020 - 01:48 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 27 April 2020 - 04:37 PM, said:

I'd laugh at this topic but eh. You want sportsmanship in a video game then play a sports video game. You won't find any in an online shooter or any other competitive non sports video game. Go find pve and single player games if you can't handle other real players.

Ok, so if I want sportsmanship I play a sports video game
If I want aßßholes, I play MWO or another shooter

That's the essence of your analogy

I find it mildly amusing that people who know they are protected by the anonymity of the internet have big mouths and act smug. Says much about their character...or rather the lack thereof. Calling those "real players" is just not true. Those are more of "idiot players". A "real player" is someone who wants to have fun and respects that others want that as well.

My opinion is anyway that if a person needs to act like that in a game to demonstrate his "superiority" or "dominance" (*chuckles*), he needs to compensate for something.

Edited by Weeny Machine, 17 May 2020 - 02:00 AM.

#59 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:42 AM

As it pertains to MWO I always went with the premise that

gg - was just a thanks for the match.
gg close - thanks for the match, close the game.

never saw "close" used as pertaining to a narrowly decided match or considered it as such. just a light insult on a poor performance. ribbing your competitors is a staple of most any competition type environment whether its higher level or just backyard games.

Edited by sycocys, 17 May 2020 - 05:43 AM.

#60 Carl Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:07 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 29 April 2020 - 03:16 PM, said:

If nobody on one team secures even a single kill, then no, nobody on the team fought well. By definition, they all did as badly as the game could possibly allow. 12:0 deserves mockery because it is a terrible result, everyone screws up eventually and when that happens we don't deserve a pat on the back for a good effort we did not make.

MWO's "matchmaker" often results in impossibly lopsided team balance. If you find yourself facing a 7-man of JGx members when dropping solo (this situation is still possible in quickplay), do you feel confident that you'll be able to make a kill before they obliterate everyone? If you don't, does that mean you personally screwed up and didn't fight well?

My point is: in this game, it usually only takes a single AFK/disconnect to throw a match, and if you start with enough non-participants on your side, you're outnumbered enough that even playing well might not enable you to take down a mech before the match is over. This is compounded when facing an opfor with a pro-level majority.

In short: it's possible for an individual to fight well and still not get any kill credits in an MWO match, because of how the matchmaker works, and because of the snowball effect, and so on.

Edited by Carl Avery, 29 May 2020 - 04:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users