Sportsmanship And Gg Close

79 replies to this topic

#61 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:25 PM

a team, even with good players can get dunked 0-12 easily. how?

3-4 lights go off and get nuked, all do <100 damage and this is a good minute before any other mech engages the enemy. So now it's basically 12 v 8.

I've now, in a heavy or assault just seen my first enemy contact and 2 more allies are dead, also dealing <100 damage (mediums or people off in Zimbabwe). It's now 12 v 6 and mostof my team has done less than 100 damage. Maybe there are some really, really bad assaults on my team. They get isntblapped, also doing pitiful damage. That brings us to 12 v 4 and the enemy might be missing 1 or 2 torsos across 12 mechs.

Assume there's 4 competent- not even good, just competent players on the enemy team and that's melt territory. It's just numbers at that point. As far as I can remember, the worst I've seen in QP is the losing team having 7 double digits players (not including cap rushing).

Frankly it's not even a question of enemy competition or being outfought. That rarely happens. This game is won by the team that doesn't **** the bed first. It's almost the diametric opposite to games like chess where "check" exists. Chess is supposed to be about beating your opponent, not about your opponent failing and losing. In essence, winning in MWO quickplay is determined by the losing team, not by the winning team.

Very good players get stomped sometimes, and that's pretty much entirely the result of the players placed on their team.

Honestly, a good tip for people in this game- and I know this because it helped me a lot, is just stay alive. Don't die immediately.

Edited by thievingmagpi, 29 May 2020 - 04:33 PM.

#62 Carl Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:40 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 29 May 2020 - 04:25 PM, said:

As far as I can remember, the worst I've seen in QP is the losing team having 7 double digits players (not including cap rushing).

I've got screenshots of several quickplay matches in the last few months with nine double-digit damage figures on a single team. "With friends like that..."

Edited by Carl Avery, 29 May 2020 - 04:46 PM.

#63 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:42 PM

View PostCarl Avery, on 29 May 2020 - 04:40 PM, said:

I've got a screenshots of several quickplay matches in the last few months with nine double-digit damage figures on a single team. "With friends like that..."

NINE??

I don't want to live on this world.

#64 Carl Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:59 PM

Yeah, I just had a quick look through my screenshots and I seem to have deleted them. Otherwise I would blank out names to protect the inept, then post them. But I know I saw at least two instances of this in the last half-year.

And when that sort of thing happens, usually there are at least two on that team who still manage to get 350+ dmg. That normally isn't much, but when they've got that much dead weight on their side...

#65 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:54 AM

View PostVxheous, on 29 April 2020 - 10:36 AM, said:

The original way to say ggclose is to announce yourself as a LORD "name" gglose, nefore the match even starts, to let your opponent know they are in for whupping. No one does this anymore (especially since there are almost no True Lords left)

From what i remember it was done at the start of a match and again at the end of the match for maximum salt and lulz.

Edited by Spr1ggan, 06 June 2020 - 07:54 AM.

#66 Yozaa

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:38 AM

People know its for triggering and yet still get triggered
Go figure
Posted Image

#67 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:01 PM

This thread is hilarious. Posted Image

FWIW I'm one of those people who just automatically hit "GG" at the end of every match- by reflex, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Because it's sportsmanperson like conduct.

#68 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 June 2020 - 04:57 AM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 29 May 2020 - 04:25 PM, said:

Chess is supposed to be about beating your opponent, not about your opponent failing and losing. In essence, winning in MWO quickplay is determined by the losing team, not by the winning team.

Winning in high level chess is mostly about one of the players making a blunder or imprecise move.

#69 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 02 February 2024 - 06:23 AM

I'm not about to say to avoid a bit of banter (or necromancy), but saying "WP" or "close" after a shutout is absolutely an intentional backhanded complement lol.

#70 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 02 February 2024 - 06:32 AM

Ahhhh yes, the classic "'GG' IS THE SPORTSMAN'S HANDSHAKE" bit. Without any acknowledgement whatsoever that across broader gamer culture, 'GG' has not been a 'Sportsman's Handshake' but rather a sarcastic and mean-spirited dig at the people on the other team for many years. It has been a long, long time since anyone has been able to take 'GG' at face value rather than being a parting shot from a smug jackass.

Alas, you'll never convince this place of this widely known and generally accepted fact. Best to just roll your eyes, quit the match, and move on. Let the smug jackasses have their parting shots. Doesn't really matter in the broad scheme of things, and making a stink over it just makes it worse.

#71 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 02 February 2024 - 07:50 AM

there are a lot of worse things you can say at the end of the match than gg. even if gg is kind of ambiguous by itself. but if you assume its always intended as an insult, it will be. much victim mindset, many tears.

#72 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 02 February 2024 - 09:51 AM

It's a lot easier to type "GG" than it is to type "thank you so much for the match". People who react poorly to "GG" also react poorly to "TYSM". Posted Image

#73 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 02 February 2024 - 10:10 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 02 February 2024 - 09:51 AM, said:

It's a lot easier to type "GG" than it is to type "thank you so much for the match". People who react poorly to "GG" also react poorly to "TYSM". Posted Image

To be fair, people don't necessarily react poorly to 'gg' so much as consider it utterly meaningless. Kinda for this exact reason - hitting Y, then gg, then Enter, is four whole keystrokes that take half a second to execute when people don't just set up a script/macro for it in the first place. It's nothing but meaningless noise.

A Sportsman's Handshake requires you to walk up to your opponent, look them in the eye, take physical hold of their physical hand, and thank them for playing with your own voice to their personal face. It takes enough commitment, and puts you out of your way enough, to actually carry meaning. You have to actually be sporting about it to qualify.

Letting your macro type 'gg' for you in the fourteen picoseconds between Match End and "Drop Match" before you forget the game forever takes nothing. And because it takes nothing, it means nothing. Outside of the 'ggclose' crankjobs doing it specifically to try and antagonize people, anyways.

Edited by 1453 R, 02 February 2024 - 10:13 AM.

#74 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 02 February 2024 - 11:29 AM

Saying GG after getting wrecked is not sarcastic or insulting. Reading it as such and responding as if it was meant rudely is wrong.
Bottom line is I would rather play a drop of MWO and get wrecked than not play one at all. In that sense every game is a good game and I thank those who dropped with me for being a part of it. That is how I read it and that is how I meant it. If someone is hung up on an antiquated interpretation of this rule which puts much of the community into the "unsportsmanlike" category then that is their problem, not mine. Such an attitude is the same as the woman I work with who gets hung up on younger female engineers wearing white shoes after labor day... seriously, lighten up.

#75 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 02 February 2024 - 11:37 AM

View Post1453 R, on 02 February 2024 - 10:10 AM, said:

Letting your macro type 'gg' for you in the fourteen picoseconds between Match End and "Drop Match" before you forget the game forever takes nothing. And because it takes nothing, it means nothing. Outside of the 'ggclose' crankjobs doing it specifically to try and antagonize people, anyways.

You seriously think people take the time and effort to create a macro to type "gg?"

It is simple courtesy, not required or expected but taking it as such rather than assuming it an insult does two things:

1. Makes you a better person.
2. Defeats the entire purpose of the person typing it if they had intended it as an insult.

As far as the claims of this having long been some sort of gamer insult... I'm not getting that reference and I used to play with the computers in our university computer lab networked to play against each other back in 1990, through direct dial up, and up to today. If GG was always some sort of insult in a hard win/loss then those people wasted 10s of thousands of such statements in the the past.

#76 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 02 February 2024 - 01:28 PM

View Post1453 R, on 02 February 2024 - 06:32 AM, said:

Ahhhh yes, the classic "'GG' IS THE SPORTSMAN'S HANDSHAKE" bit. Without any acknowledgement whatsoever that across broader gamer culture, 'GG' has not been a 'Sportsman's Handshake' but rather a sarcastic and mean-spirited dig at the people on the other team for many years. It has been a long, long time since anyone has been able to take 'GG' at face value rather than being a parting shot from a smug jackass.

Alas, you'll never convince this place of this widely known and generally accepted fact. Best to just roll your eyes, quit the match, and move on. Let the smug jackasses have their parting shots. Doesn't really matter in the broad scheme of things, and making a stink over it just makes it worse.

This is also off-base. Most of the time it's a slight but sincere shorthand for "thanks for the match" when nothing warranted more comment than that. Sometimes also a touch of apology if something happened that skewed results the outcome, like an AFK assault

#77 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 03 February 2024 - 10:10 AM

Ahhhh yes, the classic &quot;'GG' IS THE SPORTSMAN'S HANDSHAKE&quot; bit. Without any acknowledgement whatsoever that across broader gamer culture, 'GG' has not been a 'Sportsman's Handshake' but rather a sarcastic and mean-spirited dig at the people on the other team for many years. It has been a long, long time since anyone has been able to take 'GG' at face value rather than being a parting shot from a smug jackass.

Rubbish, I see GG all the time and it's no more or less insulting than in MWO. It can be either, depending on the context.

#78 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 11:56 AM

you should be insulted when i don't say gg. because when i dont say it, its because the match was not even worth acknowledging. an utter waste of time. when i dont take the time (and were talking about half a second) to type it in, it means i want to move on to the next one as soon as possible and the whole match was completely pointless. if i do say it, it means i had enough fun to acknowledge its very existence.

#79 Arnetheus

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 11:25 PM

(Un)Holy necropost.

It has been a long, long time since anyone has been able to take 'GG' at face value rather than being a parting shot from a smug jackass.

- Tells people in the other thread to get thiccer skin when being rolled by premades, cause it doesn't bother him personally.
- Gets extremelly upset at 2 letters in chat.
The irony is too much.

#80 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 05 February 2024 - 05:08 AM

"Upset" me? Nah. Doesn't bother me. I don't care for it because I think it's stupid/pointless, true, and I don't really get how anyone can consider taking thirty milliseconds to type 'gg' in allchat before dumping a game forever to be a Splendiferous and Gentlemanly Handshake Between Heroes. Used to bother me more than it does, for sure, but in the multiple intervening years since it's become mostly a nonfactor. I just ignore it these days. If a game was worth commenting on I'll actually comment on it, with real adult-person words. Elsewise what's the point?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users