Psr Update And Changes - Jun 2020

494 replies to this topic

#121 TEOLAYKI

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:07 PM

I'm ok with the idea of a PSR reset, but the proposed why is crap.

As many others mentioned when I carry the team in my Light Mech and have a match score of 500+ but we loose I should be rewarded for that. When I'm in my Assault Mech, drop on the outside and the NASCAR starts right away and I get jumped by lights and end the match without firing a shot. That's not only F'ed up but then I drop in PSR score too. That's really F'ed up.

A much better system would be:

Match Score\ PSR

0 - 100= -3
101 - 200 = -1
201 - 300 = 0
301 - 400 = +1
401+ = +3
Team Win +1

Also increase the Match Score points awarded for doing things that help out the team or that are Mech specific, like scouthing, NARCing a mech, Hit and Run, Lance in formation... ETC. Give more money and Match Score for a Light\Medium Mech protecting an Assault Mech... etc. Doing that would give people more incentive to do more than just shoot things.

That's where someone would get their incentive to cooperate with the team.

Part of the reason that NASCAR is so big now is that there is no down side for the individual pilot of a fast mech and while you can't really penalize someone for not protecting another Mech you sure can make them more eager to do it.

#122 Andrzej Lechrenski

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:08 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 04 June 2020 - 03:51 PM, said:

So if I work my *** off in a losing match the best thing that can happen is that I do not drop in SR? This is exactly what I did not want to happen. Your system does nothing to reduce stomps, you clearly stated that due to the low player count TIer3 will still be grouped with Tier1, so every stomp that I do my best and fail do make 401+ I get penalized and the best case scenario is that I maintain my PSR. This is absolutely ridiculous. This is also the system that made me quit Overwatch competitive because it takes all the fun out of the game.
If this goes live I will be gone.

In regard to Tiers 3 through 1 being matched together, I think you are missing the big positive of this change: the ultra-potatoes will forever be in tiers 4 and 5. These are the ones that make the matches the most frustrating when they are on your team because they have never learned how to play the game, but were still pushed up to Tier 1 due to "experience". To get to Tier 1 under this new system, you have to show that you at least know how to consistently win.

Moreover, under the new system, potatoes will get to be against potatoes in the low tiers, thus preventing them from rage-quitting due to the skill-based stomps. Likewise high level players won't have to deal with people who don't understand how to play the game and yet are still inexplicably matched with them. Everyone wins. Even tier 3 gets a 50:50 shot (although, given time and the assumption of no more PSR creep, those guys probably will be both giving and receiving the most stomps which could end up being a problem).

Just getting the ultra-tatoes out of Tier 1 is going to make a huge difference.

#123 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:09 PM

Ok, well something is happening which is good.

I still debate whether the game result of the win/loss for the team should actually be a factor.

If my team wins, great, load me up with c-bills and salvage.
If we lose, well, the spoils go to the victor.

But as an individual player in that team if I am regularly performing under the bar, which is about that 150 - 250 match score, then I should be dropping in PSR until my match score begins to level.

We have various teamwork and activity bonuses that impact match score, so as a player if I am getting those then I am at least trying to function as part of a team and in doing so, will be improving my match score.
Add to that doing some serious work in fighting the opposition and I should be pushing into the +/- 0 PSR change if not a + increase of PSR.

If we want to encourage other roles on the battlefield then adjusting some of those bonuses should be looked at to help bring up the match score.

#124 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:15 PM

What does PSR mean?

you are lucky enough to be on winning team so you can go up in points?

#125 Ballistic Panicmode

• PipPipPip
  • The Scattershot
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:23 PM

View PostdenAirwalkerrr, on 04 June 2020 - 10:06 AM, said:

~30% stomps is still very high number tbh. Thanks for finally resetting PSR and making it closer zero sum I might actually come back to playing MWO from time to time to check new PSR system.

In theory, ~15% stomps where you are on the losing team. Of course, us humans are naturally biased to notice the losing stomps more that the winning matches overall. XD

#126 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:26 PM

Good news.

Now there is one thing I'd like clarified. Will the match maker look only at tier when matchmaking or will it also match according to different PSR within the tier? Reason I'm asking is that even if people now stay in their correct tier there is still a huge difference between someone like me (95th percentile) and someone like Vorteex (99th percentile).

I don't want the matchmaker thinking that we are equals, if there is two 99th percentile players in the pool the MM should understand that they should be on opposite sides of the team. Basically there needs to be granularity and PSR needs to be open ended so the top 5-10% don't stack up against a maximum value where they can no longer be told apart.

And guys, stop obsessing over the assymetry between losing and winning. PSR has absolutely nothing to do wirth being "correctly" "rewarded" or "punished" in individual matches. It is about trending over many matches towards your correct PSR so that the MM can predict your impact. A player who is too low in PSR will win more than he loses, and go up. A player who is too high will lose more than he wins and go down. Your W/L is actually about your own impact over time, not matter what you happen to believe or how obsessed you are about losing individual matche despite doing well etc. That is why all the good players on the Jarls list have positive WLR ratios, it's because they have an average positve impact on winning.

Now there are multiple ways you could make the formula, but as long as it's zero sum and works the same for everyone you will approach the correct value over time. Good players will trend upwards and bad players will trend downwards until they are where they should be.

Increasing in PSR is not a "reward", and decreasing is not a "punishment". Get that notion out of your head because it's a completely idiotic way to think about it. There is nothing good about having a high PSR and nothing bad about having a low one, you just want it to correspond as closely as possible to your average impact on winning, that's what it's for and that's what will give you the best matches. It's not a rank, it doesn't measure "true skill", it's simply a matchmaking tool.

As far as tier separation, I honestly don't care about it. Mixing tiers is fine as long as the mix is the same on both teams. In other words as long as someone on the other team corresponds roughly to my skill level and so on for each teammate, I'm perfectly fine with playing with all tiers.

There is also some reason to believe that a mix of skill levels on both teams reduce the snowball effect, the reason being that the weakest players on both sides tend to die first and then there is a decent chance for the remaining better players to turn the match around. If the skill level is even the first kills matter much more and the snowball effect is stronger.

Anyways let's hope it works out. I'd also be interested to hear more about how groups are matched in this system.

#127 NumberFive

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:33 PM

Please incorporate a rolling average.

Calculating tiers on a rolling average score of the last 20 or 50 matches removes the deep, dark trough that a bad run of luck or unco-operative teams could otherwise cause.

#128 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:37 PM

I will wait a little while before I give my opinion until I play it with the new system. But happy they are resetting.( still seems some people think that being in tier 1 means they have earned something)

#129 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:39 PM

Game type is secondary and is not awarded in match score, so DON'T play game type ever again or your PSR will go down...

#130 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:54 PM

View PostMagic Pain Glove, on 04 June 2020 - 11:17 AM, said:

Bad performers on a winning team need to be punished and good performs on a bad team should be rewarded .

So I feel like this is where we're all going wrong: PSR isn't about "punishment" or "reward", and everyone keeps treating it like it is. PSR is ONLY about "are you better than everyone else you played with and need a bigger challenge, or are you worse than everyone you played with and need less of a challenge?". To that end, I feel as though winning brings its own natural bias in match score: if you're winning, you're not getting killed as effectively as your enemies, and you have more time to do damage, spot enemies, etc, resulting in a higher match score at the end of the match. If you're losing, then your team is dying faster (or you died first) and you have less time for everything that generates match score.

Thus, the PSR advancement should be independent of win/loss, because the variation in match score between those will take care of that on its own. PGI should decide on a "target" match score they feel is representative of a fair game. If you get above that, you go up, and if you get below that, you go down. It's gonna be hell on their 500 match score challenges, though, because "fair" seems to be around 300 match score...

#131 Davy J0nes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:04 PM

Don't like the idea of a good player still going down in rank even they have been pretty much carrying the team.

If this is really the case.

#132 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:11 PM

MWO Playerbase on June 9th when PSR changes release exactly as written in the first post despite days of "debate" which essentially boil down to keeping the individual based matchscore system we already have.

Posted Image

#133 denofsteves

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:25 PM

Zero sum means everybody moves. -12 up through +12. Wins are part of match score, so ignore win or loss and go straight match score.

If you haven't played in a while, your score moves back towards zero, maybe as much as 5% per day you haven't played. This gives a decreasing movement towards the middle.

Good and bad players will quickly move to the correct level. The rest will be somewhere in the middle, which is the goal. Adjustments can be made by changing up match score valuation.

Remove tier display to get over the ego issue. Better yet, show everyone as tier 1 to reinforce how it doesn't matter.

Match maker can use simple number ranges for grouping. Starting at zero and moving up and down reduces the chance that a top level player that hasn't played in a year will be clubbing seals because the lowest that player will fall is the middle of the pack. Same for poor players, they won't be fresh meat for long.

There will be lots of volatility in the middle, so if you get on a hot streak, matches will get tougher, have a bad day and the matches get easier.

Edited by denofsteves, 04 June 2020 - 05:28 PM.

#134 Axys Rageborn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:56 PM

So you get punished for doing your best on a loss but getting carried on wins gets you a participation award?

I think you need to take W/L out of it and base it on MS only. Those who do well go up, those who don't go down, that makes it fair for everyone.

Those who are consistently good will rise and those who are consistently bad will not.

#135 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:08 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 04 June 2020 - 04:54 PM, said:

So I feel like this is where we're all going wrong: PSR isn't about "punishment" or "reward"

Don't get caught up in the semantics. People are just using reward and punishment to describe the net effect on PSR. Scoring multiple kills and lots of damage while the rest of your team does **** all in a stomp loss isn't an indicator of poor skill. Thus, your PSR should probably still go up if you're top of the losing team by a big margin. That's a "reward" if you like (although some people might feel like rising in rank is a punishment when they face more top players.....) or call it something else. It's not like you're getting extra payout, xp or special items for coming in top of the losing team. But your skill rating shouldn't be impacted negatively when you showed more skill than your entire team and half the enemy, right?

View PostBallistic Panicmode, on 04 June 2020 - 04:23 PM, said:

In theory, ~15% stomps where you are on the losing team. Of course, us humans are naturally biased to notice the losing stomps more that the winning matches overall. XD

Stomps are bad no matter which side you're on. Winning 12-1 against drunkards and whirly gigs flitting about the map isn't fun and doesn't generate high matchscores (if I can instagig someone from behind with 60 pts of damage because they're oblivious to everything but the target they're tracking, I'm getting a much lower matchscore than if I take out a twisting, moving, jumping player who splashes damage everywhere - and the latter is much more satisfying).

#136 technopredator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:15 PM

View PostAndrzej Lechrenski, on 04 June 2020 - 03:02 PM, said:

People who do not understand, or refuse to execute, the things that make a team win will drop in tier.
People who work together, even to the point of sacrificing their precious K/D, will rise in tier.

This is the balance. People will rise or fall to whatever level they are willing to cooperate.

But, yes, the first week of this will probably be as miserable as you describe until the wheat is separated from the chaff.

This is sometimes not true, n00bs will not team play go everywhere or face the entire rival team alone or just "keep circling the center, that will make us win" BS "strategy"

#137 Anjin

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:16 PM

I think it also needs to account for what happened in the match. Just had a game end 3-2 with both teams capping.

Posted Image

Almost no fighting. 5 players on the winning team under 100 match score.

Also, this system is hardly zero-sum. A very good, 12-11 match (not that they happen that often) can easily have most players either staying put or going up, even on the losing team. To be zero-sum, you'd need to have a scale from -11 to +11. Best player gets a +11. Worst gets a -11. the two most mediocre players both get a 0. THAT would be zero-sum.

I'm a fan of the rolling averages as well, and upping the effects things that aren't necessarily damage/kills have on match score. I absolutely love scouting. And I don't just mean taking a fast mech and playing Squirrel!, or trying to backstab people. I mean scouting, finding the enemy, relaying where they are, getting/holding locks etc. But in terms of match score, that's almost never worth anything, even it's a key in winning.

I also often laugh at people who want to just do a lot of damage -- I've seen plenty of times where half of their damage was essentially wasted. Counter to that, I've been leveling mechs recently, and playing m,y AC20 Hunchie, I've also noticed that my match scores have been lower, even when getting multiple kills, because I'm not sandblasting my opponent's armor. I'm hitting a few time in one location, and getting kills on relatively undamaged mechs. Damage is SUCH a big factor in match score. And there is useful damage and useless damage. As someone else pointed out earlier in this thread, LRM boats (I know from experience, having played one or two) can easily rack up match score without getting any kills. Just sandblast armor all over the place.

#138 technopredator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:23 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 04 June 2020 - 03:46 PM, said:

I have to agree with the comments on the first page. The zero-sum should be based on individual performance relative to all 24 players. Those with the highest match score move up in PSR. Those with lowest match score move down. If you want winning to affect it, add more PSR for a win.

IMO Not necessarily, maybe it could be a combination of both, because both are valid logic

Edited by technopredator, 04 June 2020 - 06:31 PM.

#139 Laser Kiwi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:24 PM

If you get 400+ and lose you aren't punished.

If you get 100 or less (maybe make it 150) and win you aren't rewarded.

Honestly i'm fine with that. If you win half your games and play average you will be average.

You win half your games and play well, you will go up

You win half your games and are a miserable player you go down

It's good enough.

#140 StrikerX22

• PipPip
  • The Warden
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:34 PM

I read through the 1st 4 pages, but they keep getting added, so I'll just post my thoughts. I'll try to summarize most of what I've seen: (TL;DR suggested system at 2nd half in bold underlined.)

1. I don't believe this is a zero sum system. In order to have that, I believe you would have to have the total number of PSR change be zero sum in each match. I'm not an expert, but this stuff can very easily go in unexpected directions. I believe the proposed new system might actually result in people falling in rank on average once they reach to around their correct tier, as you tend to have lower match score on games you lose, so you will tend to inflate that negative number more than the positive one when winning, assuming you have half wins, half losses, at that correct tier. Maybe that would all work itself out still, though? I don't know that we need a strict zero sum system. And yeah, as denofsteves notes, that probably means people not playing move down. I don't think this is necessary, but correct me if I'm wrong. If they were to go down, I'd only start a week after not playing, and limit it to a certain % less from rating when last played, like 5 or 10% eventually total. I don't think skills leave that fast or much, generally, and this isn't a rank system for rewards or something.

2. I'm inexperienced, but I feel group play is more complicated than most are saying. Issues seem to be as follows:
-A- They tend to work better together. [ This is not inherently a bad thing, as the game is team-based, but might alienate solo players. ]
-B- They may tend to have their own discord and not interact with the team as a whole. [ This means they have worse teamwork, not better, so...? A potential negative, though. ]
-C- They can somewhat artificially inflate someone's rating. [ However, they are also affected by having a less skilled player, so they hurt their own rating as well. Furthermore, matchmaking should still take the skill difference into account, although with a smaller player base it does become more difficult and allows for wide gaps in skill in a single game. It can also be argued that a high skilled player has a disproportionately larger effect on the team than the negative effect of the low skilled player. This can still technically be accounted for, if enough players exist (which is a problem regardless but potentially a bit worse here). ]

3. The PSR system is clunky, in several ways:
-A- It uses arbitrary whole numbers for tiers of match score, rather than smoothly distributing.
-B- It uses 2 ratings systems at once: Win/Lose, and Match Score. Win/Lose are not arbitrary, while Match Score is absolutely arbitrary, and has many dials to adjust for balance, but is probably not actually balanced at the moment (some of this can come from certain strategies/weapons/etc. being overpowered / underpowered; otherwise, value needs tweaking).
-C- I don't remember anymore, I might've melded it with -B-.

...[ In a perfect world, match score would accurately reflect our impact, and even potential impact, on the game. With that perfect knowledge, we would actually set winning/losing aside, as they do not reflect your impact on your team, technically. You could technically have the worst teams every game and never win because of it. However, it is probably not a very realistic goal. It is complex and difficult to tune correctly. Wins and Losses are easy to read and will likely level things out over time, even though it feels bad in certain scenarios. This is not overemphasizing team play per se, but rather assuming you'll have normal luck if you play enough that it will even out properly, as it is a pretty reliable metric long term. I do feel like it would be nice to have match score weigh in a little bit, even if it is arbitrary, though... most everyone wants justice, so this would help quell people's anger a bit. However, it will never satisfy most of them when they do well but get an insufficiently good PSR change. Subconsciously, people expect perfect judgement on your part, or worse, on their part. ]

TL;DR with pseudocode:
In the end, I believe the new PSR system may be close to the correct direction. Perhaps match score should be taken out entirely from it. It should probably instead track the average PSR on your team, compared to the average PSR on the enemy team, over a long period of W/L (rather than individual games). Something like the following:

If MyGamesSinceNewSys < 20 Then MyGamesSinceNewSys += 1

If Win, Then MyPSRGain = BasePSRFromWinning * (A + B *AveragePSROtherTeam/AveragePSRMyTeam) * 20/Minimum(MyGamesSinceNewSys, 20)

Else MyPSRGain = -BasePSRFromWinning * (A + B * AveragePSRMyTeam/AveragePSROtherTeam) * 20/Minimum(MyGamesSinceNewSys, 20)

Where A and B are constants for setting a base flat value (A) and a multiplier (B) to help when say, 2x the PSR doesn't mean 2x effectiveness (one way or the other). Note that for losing, Base PSR is negative winning value, and AveragePSRMyTeam switches position in fraction. If you are using whole numbers for some reason and don't want to switch to floating point, then please inflate the PSR ratings by a couple digits to have a smoother gradient of progression. Accuracy doesn't have to be perfect, either, if you're worried about floating point errors; we just want close.

Open valves for a while at start, to help things settle. Set initial PSR based on current tier to help settle things quickly (experience does tend to mean better) and to not offend players as easily (exact amounts probably don't have to be large or specific, just significantly different). With MyGamesSinceNewSys multiplier for first ~20 games, this should work out well I think. I believe this PSR system is around the best. If necessary, group play can be limited to within 2 tiers of each other, like a group of tier 3 to tier 1. Not everyone will like that but it will address the situation somewhat for solo players. Another option is to give a slight, positive flat boost to solo players each game; not because they deserve it, but because you want them to stay, so let them know.

This doesn't take the player's PSR directly into account as it doesn't make sense to here, like it would if using match score (though it is involved in the team's average). Poster Dogmeat1 was using median instead of average. Is there a particular reason for that?

I have a system in mind if match score is to be used, but I don't think that is the correct direction to take, as discussed above. Nevertheless, if it is definitely going to be used, then I will summarize:
  • It gives winning team and losing team pools of PSR points, which is determined by the outcome of the match (bonus for win, then mostly by kills, and depending on game mode, some from details like Conquest point totals) and PSR ratio between teams. Aside from showing team skill, pyrrhic victories aren't great in-universe probably.
  • Then those pools are divvied out based on match score and PSR within the team.
  • Finally, you subtract (Total_PSR_given_to_all_Players / 24) from each player to make negative scores where they theoretically belong.
  • (Note: Make sure to balance ways to get match score. [hard, many problems])

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users