Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:27 PM

Friday June 5,2020

Putting the breaks on Tuesday's patch.

We've been going through all the feedback and want to address the big issues out there. There are clarifications that need to be made, misconceptions to clear up and possible additional tuning to address. We are not hard locked into patching Tuesday and will extend if needed.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:30 PM

Wait.. first!! no sloppy seconds nor messy thirds.. (get ya minds out of the gutter!!)

The patch is the step in the right direction, only outstanding item is the no change on loss for a high scoring player, imho.

But listening. I would advocate a partial reset. Dropping Tier 1-2 to Tier 3 then let it ride. The low scoring players would work themselves down to Tier 4 relatively quickly.

I would also advocate dropping the max 4-man to 3-man, as well as 1/weight class for that group, potentially reducing the difficulty of trying to match weight due to 2 assaults+.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 05 June 2020 - 05:45 PM.

#3 MechTech Dragoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:41 PM

No change on loss should stay.
You lost. You can do as well as you want, your team didn't win.

I can do as well as i like in a game of league, if i lose i dont move up. Dont necessarily move down if i did well enough, but i dont move up.

#4 Katrina Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:06 PM

Thanks for the heads up Paul. I'd rather see you guys crunch more data and give it a few weeks if that's whats needed.

#5 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:10 PM

There are so many variables in a team game that Win/Loss alone can't account for. W/L sort-of follows performance but in the end, it's all of the personal actions that contribute to matchscore that reflect a player. Years and years of data show this. Stuff even we can see.

The folks you're referring to have been pondering this for half a decade, Paul. Give 'em a chance!

#6 Thebackson

• Pip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:34 PM

I am glad you are doing the reset, I am even more glad that you are taking the extra time to do it right. Thanks

#7 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:54 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 05 June 2020 - 05:30 PM, said:

Wait.. first!! no sloppy seconds nor messy thirds.. (get ya minds out of the gutter!!)

The patch is the step in the right direction, only outstanding item is the no change on loss for a high scoring player, imho.

But listening. I would advocate a partial reset. Dropping Tier 1-2 to Tier 3 then let it ride. The low scoring players would work themselves down to Tier 4 relatively quickly.

I would also advocate dropping the max 4-man to 3-man, as well as 1/weight class for that group, potentially reducing the difficulty of trying to match weight due to 2 assaults+.

Why your team lost, good players will win more than they lose and move up ?

#8 Krasnopesky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:57 PM

Thanks for listening to the feedback Paul. Hopefully this will result in an improved system being put in place and a more enjoyable experience for everyone playing as a result.

#9 Tranderas

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:24 PM

View PostMechTech Dragoon, on 05 June 2020 - 05:41 PM, said:

I can do as well as i like in a game of league, if i lose i dont move up. Dont necessarily move down if i did well enough, but i dont move up.

League is a 5v5 superhuman-based game with respawns with very little in common with a 12v12 vehicular combat game with no respawns. The better comparison is World of Tanks, where WN8/9 give you a boost on doing well even on a loss.

#10 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for listening to our feedback.

To me, the result of a "zero sum" system means that:
- Great performers should be Tier 1,
- Good performers should be Tier 2,
- Mediocre (average) performers should be Tier 3,
- Below average performers should be Tier 4,
- Bad performers should be Tier 5,
... all regardless of how long they've been playing. Some people have been playing since closed beta and should be ranked below average.

The current PSR system does not do that. The PSR system you outlined on June 3rd will not do that.

We all just want the game to be better and hope that a more accurate ranking system will result in better matches for everyone ... matches where top performers and below average performers feel appropriately challenged.

#11 ESC 907

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 204 posts
  • Location'Murica

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:01 PM

Man, someone pinch me! I really look forward to seeing the clarifications/alterations that are to be announced.

#12 technopredator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:07 PM

IMO The proposed PSR system is a fair 0 sum system, but the score matching system is flawed, some people kill lots of rivals, do a lot of stuff in game 600+ damage and that's not reflected on the match Score, but a Flea goes shooting a little to each player at 150+ Kph and gets a great MS, not fair, that needs to be revised to be a fair performance criteria, so the PSR system classify correctly the players. I'd agree for a maximum of 1 week delay to analyze and reconfigure the Match Scoring Algorythim.

#13 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 12:40 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 05 June 2020 - 05:30 PM, said:

I think doing that, and also making the point loss and gains bigger would be a good thing. Make it quicker to move up and down through the tiers. Be good for players that take long breaks or have big skill differences in different classes. Wouldn't need seeding matches either.

#14 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 03:14 AM

Please keep in mind that wins and losses are only the truly accurate statistic that all of your choices and skill in the game add up to.

Whatever contribution to PSR change comes from Match Score should add up to 0 over a larger sample of matches. If it does not, PSR will be measuring something other than your contribution to winning.

#15 Yozaa

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 04:17 AM

In a homogeneous environment like only soloes or only groups I would agree however in a mixed group solo environment I feel that solo's have less of an effect over win/loss than previously and much less than groups have an effect on win/loss.

#16 Yozaa

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 04:40 AM

View PostMechTech Dragoon, on 05 June 2020 - 05:41 PM, said:

Yeah but in league if your an outstanding performer a team that wins more may pick you up next season.

#17 LTC Kilgore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:14 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 05 June 2020 - 05:27 PM, said:

Friday June 5,2020

Putting the breaks on Tuesday's patch.

We've been going through all the feedback and want to address the big issues out there. There are clarifications that need to be made, misconceptions to clear up and possible additional tuning to address. We are not hard locked into patching Tuesday and will extend if needed.

nice.

Now if only support would bother responding to tickets that get submitted, or did PGI fire them too?

#18 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:25 AM

1 in 3 games are a stomp and people are celebrating the idea that they need more than a week to tweak numbers in a spreadsheet and reset a UI tier bar.

Welp.

Let me say that again, 1 in 3 games are so unbalanced they end in total slaughter and this has been the case for over a month now.

Fine, you don't want to rush PSR changes, cool.

Split Solo and Group queue again so at least solo players can enjoy matches again, because what's going on now is entirely unsustainable and everyone knows it.

1 in 3, folks, 1 in 3.

#19 bilagaana

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:57 AM

The time and effort being directed at this subject on the part of the developers is genuinely appreciated. However, at this stage in the game's life cycle it's a case of 'Do something, even if it's wrong.' I will go way out on a limb here (not really) and predict that whatever approach is implemented, it can be guaranteed there will be whining about it being ill conceived, unfair, unbalanced, not recognizing a given player's true greatness...you name it. Not being a mathematician but having some experience in interpreting statistics, my supposition is that the population is too low to provide valid results and the overall player experience will not be significantly effected or noticeably improved, regardless of method.

#20 Yozaa

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 11:37 AM

Have to disagree
If you don't do it right!
Maybe game over

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users