Psr Community Version 1.0

379 replies to this topic

#321 A Flying Biskit

• PipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 10:09 AM

This PSR system rewards you for being average. If you're good, or if you're bad, you just don't get to play, because the queue times are utterly ridiculous.

This system is good, in a vacuum. There are not enough good players, there are not enough bad players, there are not enough players for this to work.

As of this post, I've been sitting in the queue for a tier 1 game, as a light mech (lowest pop, according to the counter) for over 10 minutes. At this point, I'd rather run against the entire 228 and EMP comp teams with a bunch of LRM5 Javelins on my team, just so I can actually play the game.

#322 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 09:20 PM

View PostRedeye Sigma, on 16 July 2020 - 09:25 AM, said:

Also, I don't think that a Tier 5 player automatically makes them a noob.... Please, just get us in the game in less than 2 minutes.... otherwise why play this game. It is fun, but I am going to wait 20 minutes to play a 2 minute game just because someone things I am a noob (I am not a noob, I played MW2 until Hasbro ruined it with MW3). THis game is similar, but it is fun because of the on line play and maybe not knowing how many noobs you get is a good thing.. it might make you a better player because you end up having to fight 5 mechs for a few seconds instead of boringly shoot people that don't even know that you are shooting at them!

Mate, I don't know how to break this to you gently, but you are terrible at MWO. There is a reason you are one of the first people to get to tier 5. Your point of wait time being too long is understandable, but in your case you could get out of tier 5 with some basic play adjustments and have access to a much bigger MM pool. Perhaps ask for help somewhere.

#323 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 338 posts
  • LocationFormerly New Capetown, now Kikuyu - Lyran Alliance

Posted 17 July 2020 - 09:49 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 17 July 2020 - 09:20 PM, said:

Mate, I don't know how to break this to you gently, but you are terrible at MWO. There is a reason you are one of the first people to get to tier 5. Your point of wait time being too long is understandable, but in your case you could get out of tier 5 with some basic play adjustments and have access to a much bigger MM pool. Perhaps ask for help somewhere.

This is an arrogant way of looking at it... some people play MWO to have fun with Mechs, basically building and testing. That's the way they play it and who are others to say it's not a worthy endeavour?

#324 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 10:37 PM

View PostBig-G, on 17 July 2020 - 09:49 PM, said:

This is an arrogant way of looking at it... some people play MWO to have fun with Mechs, basically building and testing. That's the way they play it and who are others to say it's not a worthy endeavour?

He was in the bottom 3% last month and was one of the very first handful of people to grind out tier 5. He feels he isn't "noob" and is being unfairly punished by the tier system. I am suggesting perhaps there are issues with his play style that could help him get out of tier 5.

Are... you also tier 5? Apollogies if your tier offends you. It is not a personal thing, it's just a measure of your relative skill position to help MM work.

Edited by crazytimes, 17 July 2020 - 10:38 PM.

#325 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 338 posts
  • LocationFormerly New Capetown, now Kikuyu - Lyran Alliance

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:51 AM

View Postcrazytimes, on 17 July 2020 - 10:37 PM, said:

Are... you also tier 5? Apollogies if your tier offends you. It is not a personal thing, it's just a measure of your relative skill position to help MM work.

Nope, the arrogance is that you think everyone not agreeing with you are tier 5's

#326 Taram

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 139 posts
  • LocationIn a Battlemech advancing on you.

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:48 AM

People who have raced to the top (or the bottom) of the queue just need to be patient. As more filter up (and down) to the various tiers those wait times will get better.

Honestly they shouldn't have reset everyone's tiers. They should have left the tiers as-is, adjusted the metric, and then let time sort out where people belong using the new metric rather than dumping everyone in the middle. That would have resulted in a MUCH less painful adjustment period as people drifted into their proper levels for MM. Fewer curb stomps, less wait time, better matches as things adjusted rather than the mess we've had for the past several days (though at least the matches have started to balance out better the past day or two).

Edited by Taram, 24 July 2020 - 07:51 AM.

#327 selfish shellfish

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 09:39 AM

View PostTaram, on 24 July 2020 - 07:48 AM, said:

People who have raced to the top (or the bottom) of the queue just need to be patient. As more filter up (and down) to the various tiers those wait times will get better.

I don't know... I played over 200 matches and despite slight movement the bar stayed remarkably close to the middle of Tier 3.

If we presume that most people are average then we might get a distribution where 60-80 % of the population belongs in Tier 3 and due to the low population there won't be enough people to adequately populate Tiers 1-2 and 4-5.

As for improvements we could place new players in T4 or 5 to boost the population there. I don't know how to help Tier 1-2 though other than letting them loose in Tier 3 matches.

#328 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:52 PM

View Postselfish shellfish, on 24 July 2020 - 09:39 AM, said:

I don't know... I played over 200 matches and despite slight movement the bar stayed remarkably close to the middle of Tier 3.

If we presume that most people are average then we might get a distribution where 60-80 % of the population belongs in Tier 3 and due to the low population there won't be enough people to adequately populate Tiers 1-2 and 4-5.

As for improvements we could place new players in T4 or 5 to boost the population there. I don't know how to help Tier 1-2 though other than letting them loose in Tier 3 matches.

PGI could have done a partial reseeding, separating the player base between tiers 2-4 based on avg MS over the last 100-300 games. But they didnt, so there are still many potential Tier 1 players in Tier 3 simply due to not cramming in a ton of games and/or grouping up with a tons of games to move out of Tier 3. Nightbird does his daily graphs showing W/L ratio and the percentage of players in each section but there are many players who havent played 50 games with a W/L of 2+ and still in Tier 3 or just moved into Tier 2.

Hell, I am about 15% away from Tier 2 with a 0.85 W/L ratio and avg 283 MS after 61 games, primarily meds. while my alt is only 5% away from Tier 2, 1.35 W/L ratio and avg 275 MS after 95 games, also prim meds.

So it may take a few months to spread people out, potentially longer than it should have if PGI had gone about the reset in a different manner, as well as curbed the group setup some, since it is the merged soup queue in its current form that has likely perturbed players off more than anything else. It may have brought back players who could now drop together with their buddies, whom most certainly not dropping with the competitively then who are facing competitive groups maxing out their tonnage.

#329 OmgKllL

• PipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • 34 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMilan - Italy

Posted 27 July 2020 - 12:12 PM

I tried to get a match after some weeks of inactivity, MM is still too much slow, dropped the game again for something else...

#330 Zirconium

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 31 August 2020 - 04:23 AM

I've been in favour of the PSR reset and new method throughout. For me it's generally working, and for someone who drops predominantly solo in T1 the wait times are acceptable.

However, there is one minor issue that I have run into a couple of times today that needs to be addressed - which is how cadets are considered.

I've had multiple games with T1 pilots, including well known strong players and pre-made T1 groups, which after a couple of minutes of queue time due to inadequate players online have included cadets. I've then witnessed them die in the first thirty seconds or walk around the map randomly just as we've all done when we were cadets.

This simply needs to be stopped from happening. Cadets need to be coded into the matchmaker such that do not get pulled into making up the numbers in T2 or T1 matches, with the matchmaker waiting for alternative T1/T2/T3 pilots to use to plug any gaps.

Cadets should only be exposed to T3 pilots, or T3/T4/T5 perhaps, until those first 25 games are up.

#331 Amerith

Rookie

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 07:02 AM

View PostZirconium, on 31 August 2020 - 04:23 AM, said:

I

This simply needs to be stopped from happening. Cadets need to be coded into the matchmaker such that do not get pulled into making up the numbers in T2 or T1 matches, with the matchmaker waiting for alternative T1/T2/T3 pilots to use to plug any gaps.

Cadets should only be exposed to T3 pilots, or T3/T4/T5 perhaps, until those first 25 games are up.

Pay attention PGI, this makes sense if you want a viable player base still.

#332 Amerith

Rookie

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:17 AM

I'll be glad when this all levels out, getting really tired of dropping in QP and having 1 assault while the OPfor has 4 or more. Beginning to burn out on the roll stomps this is causing.

#333 Revener

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSvea Rike

Posted 05 December 2020 - 07:38 AM

Well both the old and the new system basically force me to only play mechs that it is easy to do high damage in = assaults.

And now it is even worse because you can even lose PSR even if the team won and not gain any if you lose.

I like playing my pirates banen almost stock (small lasers and MG) + stealth armour. But it is hard to much damage in it. But you still annoy and harass and distract the enemy team and that is actually valuable.

You need a different formula for each weight class of mech, it is annoying to work your *** of ina light mech and then go down in PSR.

Edited by Revener, 05 December 2020 - 07:41 AM.

#334 Revener

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSvea Rike

Posted 06 December 2020 - 09:27 AM

Wow! this system is really penalizing if a teammates walk into your arty strike for no reason other than being stupid.

Should give some leeway on (un)friendly fire, it is not always your own fault.

#335 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 10:44 PM

View PostRevener, on 06 December 2020 - 09:27 AM, said:

Wow! this system is really penalizing if a teammates walk into your arty strike for no reason other than being stupid.

If you are striking your team often enough for it to affect your PSR, then guess what? The team isn't the problem.

#336 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:49 AM

View PostRevener, on 05 December 2020 - 07:38 AM, said:

Well both the old and the new system basically force me to only play mechs that it is easy to do high damage in = assaults.

And now it is even worse because you can even lose PSR even if the team won and not gain any if you lose.

I like playing my pirates banen almost stock (small lasers and MG) + stealth armour. But it is hard to much damage in it. But you still annoy and harass and distract the enemy team and that is actually valuable.

You need a different formula for each weight class of mech, it is annoying to work your *** of ina light mech and then go down in PSR.

Why does the system make you do anything. If you like playing in a locust then play in a locust. If you think the PSR/match score system disadvantages light mechs and advantages assaults - the PSR system dropping lights in PSR downwards over time means you are more likely to get into matches with more players who are approaching the game like you.

You realize the math on the match score is the same math that's always been used for match score and has always effected your C Bill and XP generation - it's always favored people who do a lot of damage.

#337 Revener

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSvea Rike

Posted 16 December 2020 - 07:47 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 06 December 2020 - 10:44 PM, said:

If you are striking your team often enough for it to affect your PSR, then guess what? The team isn't the problem.

I did not say that I did, it is just that I had two matches that would not have affected it downwards if not for the teamdamage.

View PostGARION26, on 08 December 2020 - 11:49 AM, said:

Why does the system make you do anything. If you like playing in a locust then play in a locust. If you think the PSR/match score system disadvantages light mechs and advantages assaults - the PSR system dropping lights in PSR downwards over time means you are more likely to get into matches with more players who are approaching the game like you.

You realize the math on the match score is the same math that's always been used for match score and has always effected your C Bill and XP generation - it's always favored people who do a lot of damage.

Yeah and it was eaiser to get match score before too the more damage you do. It is harder to do enough damage consistently in a light mech.

Edited by Revener, 16 December 2020 - 07:48 PM.

#338 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 11:46 PM

View PostRevener, on 16 December 2020 - 07:47 PM, said:

Yeah and it was eaiser to get match score before too the more damage you do. It is harder to do enough damage consistently in a light mech.

The matchscore formula has not changed in ages. Not sure what you are on about. Posted Image

#339 Timber Ghost

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:13 AM

Now that I have spent more time with this new system, I still think it progresses people too quickly. I feel like I have been getting stomped the last couple weeks. Even when dropping in a group. Yet, I am still climbing in PSR. I was a maxed T1 under the old system. Under the new system, my scores have dropped, but I keep climbing.

Example, according the Jarl's, I am an 89% percentile overall. positive win/ loss ratio, positive k/d ratio. Since I hit T2 under this new system, I have been a 65-75% percentile, negative win/ loss ratio, and about even on K/D ratio. Yet I am still climbing in PSR. (damn, just noticed my average match score is up a bit, lol. May have screwed up my whole argument)

I really figured I would level out in T2, maybe T3. But, I will be a T1 again probly before the first of the year. Oh well, maybe T1 will start showing some decline in PSR, lol. I just hate to get my pixels scratched........ Posted Image

Edited by Timber Ghost, 18 December 2020 - 09:24 AM.

#340 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 03:41 PM

well mister Timber Ghost

You should not complain to much, there are alot of us stuck in tier 4, to just find a quality match for my self can be tough, and my kills are going up, my wins are ahead. and 50% of my games are above 300 match score.
And you can look that up, i never worried about Tier group my first 6 years playing it was all about, making c-biils and faction play, lots of scouting missions, and helping other folks who were just starting, until i was told, your only Tier 5, you have no right to tell me what to do, my first great down fall, of course i looked, i was top tier 4, and month later top tier 2, i never pushed much after that, or i would playing SOLO, with no friends, and back to playing what ever the team needed, and playing solo to keep my tier 2.
ODDLY enough i am now SOLO, i don't use chat, i will help in game with getting folks chatting, and with my knowledge of MAPS, to help get more wins, WINNING does not matter but I feel better about it.

SAWK your a good pilot, please be humble

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users