Queue Combo Is Killing This Game.

142 replies to this topic

#121 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:21 PM

If they didn't split the queues game would of died years ago
At least the group queue and Faction Warfare refugees had a place to go after their trials by Skillgap.
Solo Queue instead of clear out of the game

They fled to the solo queue desert to seek refuge, the land barren of team work, infected by FUN according to the Pharisees of the Land of use skill gap and go Clubbing Land.

Now Skillgap has come to the desert
No where left to go

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 09 September 2020 - 06:26 PM.

#122 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 11:47 PM

View PostLykaon, on 09 September 2020 - 11:02 AM, said:

If the groups leave the population dwindles if the solos leave the population dwindles so what options do players who want to play MWo have?

What queues where empty and where could you find matches?

Maybe this has changed because enough pugs where clubbed out by groups and the mixed queue will go the way all group queues went, empty.

But thats ok for me, playing a lot other games since the merge, but not a single match in mwo.

Edited by Kroete, 09 September 2020 - 11:54 PM.

#123 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:57 AM

It's rare for me to drop without seeing some form of unit grouping, whether that be 2, 3 or 4 unit members. What is disconcerting, is when you see that unit trying to sync drop. Early match stages don't appear to be particularly affected, but then end game can be - shall we say - questionable when the last couple of stealth mechs are hunted remorselessly through zero line of sight and no UAVs.

In FW, team awareness support was common in helping the pilots who may have missed something in their cockpit view or in some cases, the unit or drop leader continued to give excellent voice support (almost like satellite assisted battle planning) after losing their final mech, but in the QP arena, well . . . .

One other thing that is imho that can be poor with the mixed drop situation, is when units drop in "fun" mechs that have very little chance of having a positive impact on the drop team. They have fun at the expense of others. Proper group queue was more acceptable for this, with it being an evening event for the otherwise focused FW units.

#124 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:59 AM

View PostLykaon, on 09 September 2020 - 11:02 AM, said:

Word Salad

I'm not sure where you get off thinking that players MUST adapt to the game. It's entertainment and the players are the customer, not visa versa. They don't have to adapt to anything. They don't have to play the game at all. The game has to attract the players. Your backwards thinking, and PGI's, is why the game is hemorrhaging its player base. It's the game and the company that runs the game that must adapt. If neither does, it'll continue to dwindle until we can't even support one bucket.

#125 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:08 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 09 September 2020 - 06:21 PM, said:

If they didn't split the queues game would of died years ago
At least the group queue and Faction Warfare refugees had a place to go after their trials by Skillgap.
Solo Queue instead of clear out of the game

They fled to the solo queue desert to seek refuge, the land barren of team work, infected by FUN according to the Pharisees of the Land of use skill gap and go Clubbing Land.

Now Skillgap has come to the desert
No where left to go

On the upside, FP is a ghost town. All the groups that dominated it are now in QP hunting baby seals. I actually played a couple of matches and it was similar to how it was when it wasn't dominated by the legendary groups. Might as well enjoy it while you can, eventually the groups will come back if they see a lot of guys in queue.

#126 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:54 PM

That maybe true
But some pilots prefer the quick games that quick play provides and dont want to go through the setup and waiting which may be short but relative to quick play is not. Posted Image

#127 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 08:08 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 10 September 2020 - 07:54 PM, said:

That maybe true
But some pilots prefer the quick games that quick play provides and dont want to go through the setup and waiting which may be short but relative to quick play is not. Posted Image

Ah, but it's worth the effort. Once population in FP is high enough, all the group players will be drawn back. Then QP will be safe for a moment. Solos, as a majority, can actually determine where the groups play simply by going to one spot or the other. And remember, Tier doesn't matter in FP. There's no matchmaker.

#128 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 06:19 PM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 10 September 2020 - 07:59 AM, said:

I'm not sure where you get off thinking that players MUST adapt to the game. It's entertainment and the players are the customer, not visa versa. They don't have to adapt to anything. They don't have to play the game at all. The game has to attract the players. Your backwards thinking, and PGI's, is why the game is hemorrhaging its player base. It's the game and the company that runs the game that must adapt. If neither does, it'll continue to dwindle until we can't even support one bucket.

I will tell you "where I get off thinking"...

What is backwards?

Having a game that is played in a particular way to gain success and then doing those particular things and being successful.

Or.....

Having a game that is played in a particular way to gain success and then demanding that the ways the game is to be played MUST conform to how you play. Then complain incessantly when the game that was finished literally years has failed to conform to your desires.

PGI has been paid already the checks cashed you money already spent. This game is on life support.

#129 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 13 September 2020 - 04:30 AM

View PostLykaon, on 12 September 2020 - 06:19 PM, said:

What is backwards?

Having a game mode that is populated and continuously played 24/7 and changing it to become like a game mode that is underpopulated and only available at peak times.

#130 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:22 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 13 September 2020 - 04:30 AM, said:

Having a game mode that is populated and continuously played 24/7 and changing it to become like a game mode that is underpopulated and only available at peak times.

At what point has that ever NOT been PGI's business model?

#131 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 10:31 AM

View PostLykaon, on 12 September 2020 - 06:19 PM, said:

I will tell you "where I get off thinking"...

What is backwards?

Having a game that is played in a particular way to gain success and then doing those particular things and being successful.

Or.....

Having a game that is played in a particular way to gain success and then demanding that the ways the game is to be played MUST conform to how you play. Then complain incessantly when the game that was finished literally years has failed to conform to your desires.

PGI has been paid already the checks cashed you money already spent. This game is on life support.

There was never a gained success, that's the fallacy you're operating under. MWO was never popular. It was just more popular than it is now. It was never balanced and it was never well ran. It was just PGI trying to justify their own poor decisions by telling the players to go F off. And it worked. They did F off. In droves.

#132 East Indy

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:34 PM

Did something break? Team balance seems way off tonight.

#133 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 16 September 2020 - 06:56 PM

View PostEast Indy, on 16 September 2020 - 04:34 PM, said:

Did something break? Team balance seems way off tonight.

Population broke, I see new players with sub 50 dmg at the end of the tier 1 matches all the time now. Looks like they're coming from mw5. They run builds like 1erl with few mediums and 1 lrm 10.

Sad because I can't see them sticking around in matches like this.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 16 September 2020 - 07:00 PM.

#134 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:27 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 16 September 2020 - 06:56 PM, said:

Population broke, I see new players with sub 50 dmg at the end of the tier 1 matches all the time now. Looks like they're coming from mw5. They run builds like 1erl with few mediums and 1 lrm 10.

Yeah the number of Cadets... and people clearly not comfortable with game mechanics... in tier 1 indicates there is not enough people most of the time to actually granulate matchmaker. At all.

#135 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 08:22 PM

I think this is also a result of adding groups. I've seen three-person groups of cadets in my matches as a T1. I don't think the matchmaker effectively separates tiers at all when groups are part of the equation.

#136 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:47 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 16 September 2020 - 07:27 PM, said:

Yeah the number of Cadets... and people clearly not comfortable with game mechanics... in tier 1 indicates there is not enough people most of the time to actually granulate matchmaker. At all.

Cadets start in Tier 3, a horrible decision but it is what it is. MM has always mixed people of up to 3 different tiers in matches so matches from tier 1 to 3 are commonplace. Yesterday evening EU time I saw several cadets in my games but my wait times as an small team of beer-warriors were almost non existent which leads me to believe the queue wasn't particularly starved for players.

EDIT: Also my team yesterday had one Tier 3 player , two Tier 2 players and myself, I imagine PGI averages the tiers of all members of a group to feed it to MM which would make my group Tier 2, I certainly had one of the least demanding evenings since the new tier system and everything seemed too easy for what I am used to lately.

Edited by Brizna, 16 September 2020 - 10:52 PM.

#137 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 12:49 AM

In theory it makes sense: They have trained against MW5:Mercs AI-controlled bots and gained some rough idea how to ride 'Mechs, how to fire, how to manage heat, and what to do and what to avoid.

So now they think that they are ready to face other human opponents in MWO.

... except that they drop in their Trial or freshly bought 'Mechs in Tier 3 and are promptly farmed by some Tier 1 pre-made group in fully skilled Assault 'Mechs ...

Still the same case as the majority of Russ Bullock devices: Okayish idea, but horrible executed.

I do not think that they will stick around ...

#138 DakoneAzura

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:16 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 16 July 2020 - 05:52 AM, said:

I like this game, been playing for years now but recombining the queues has absolutely killed the MM and the game is so lopsided now it isn't fun.

Soon as the other side has a group its game over almost always unless they are some kind of troll squad.

you need to either limit groups to 2 people OR limit group tonnage so that they can't all go in assaults and destroy the MMs chance at a decent game.

not that you care, because this game is dead to you.

1)So the constant nascar isn't

2) Tonnage issues isn't

3) People wondering the map like lost sheep isn't

I could keep going and I will tell you right now that group dropping isn't the issue in the slightest. If they did end up removing it you will see nearly 30-40 less people playing this game on a already dying game.

#139 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:42 AM

View PostDakoneAzura, on 25 September 2020 - 04:16 AM, said:

2) Tonnage issues isn't

I could keep going and I will tell you right now that group dropping isn't the issue in the slightest. If they did end up removing it you will see nearly 30-40 less people playing this game on a already dying game.

According to steam charts, there are already 102 fewer average players since July. I’m no math expert but losing 102 seems worse than losing 30-40. But whatever, letting premades farm solo pugs for the LULZ has already done its damage. I highly doubt PGI is competent enough to lure the lost solo pugs back.

So might I suggest you use the increasing queue wait times to come up with any other reasons you can use to scapegoat for the increasing queue times other than you premade’s desire to roflstomp solo pugs.

Edited by Knight Captain Morgan, 25 September 2020 - 04:50 AM.

#140 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:10 AM

View PostDakoneAzura, on 25 September 2020 - 04:16 AM, said:

2) Tonnage issues isn't

The tonnage mismatch is due largely to PGI's inability to manage groups mixed with solos. So right there soup queue and its attendant mix of groups and solos _is_ an issue.

Furthermore, steam charts tells us that after brief surges of interest both the queue merge and the PSR reset at best did nothing to help the game and may have arguably hastened the rate of players leaving the game. We are now approaching the avg player numbers we saw at the end of March right after the CCP virus lockdowns started. Even worse, the peak number of players in the last 30 days is 100-200 people less than anytime since February when the game numbers tanked to their lowest levels ever. In fact, September is currently on pace for the 2nd lowest peak players online since the game was released on Steam.

PGI squandered a huge player base boost from the lockdowns with an ill-conceived queue merge and a poorly executed PSR change (the PSR change was needed, just not done right - the queue merge was not needed, and was the product of a bunch of whiny ***** who aren't even playing now getting Russ' ear because they "wanted to play with their friends and didn't care about winning").

I really enjoyed playing this game. Look here I am commenting on it even though I haven't played in 4 months, because I hold out some miniscule hope that PGI will get rid of the queue merge. But with each passing month I care less. Obviously, judging by steam charts, there are a lot of people that feel somewhat like I do. I know even more of them would comment if they could, but their criticism of PGI resulted in them no longer having the ability to do so.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users