544 replies to this topic

#281 Amro One

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 05:09 AM

This topic brought me back to the game.
Only playing with my Invasion and founder mechs. Wish I bought a gold mech.

I was hardcore playing only faction play, One faction ever. Jade Falcon!
Only went to single player when Units where cage ****** random drops.
Was tier 1 before the reset, Just got back in and tier 3 is lols, ECM shadow Cat OP in tier 3
Skill tree was a great idea when literally everyone had maxed mechs. Allowed for that little extra tweaking to your game style. Yea it's annoying when you have 900+ mechs, but in faction play you had 2-3 drops with like 12 mechs chasis. Saw no problem.

I'm an oldschool Mechassault pilot from the Xbox days.

This is exactly like Mechassault now and Im glad. =)

Edited by Amro One, 10 October 2020 - 05:13 AM.

#282 Temporary Axis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 05:18 AM

View PostRed October911, on 09 October 2020 - 09:40 PM, said:

[color=#030303]Well I haven't played in years but I wouldn't mind going back. I think what gave me the most sour taste in my mouth in MWO from DAY1 CLOSED BETA was that WoT copy paste having a garage, mechs and quickplay. It works for lore-less games like WoT because you're just controlling WW2 - early Cold War era tanks, no real story attached to that. But Battletech to me always felt like it would be better off having context behind its battles. I understand why Piranha went with that model at that time bc it was popular/works with mechlab + mech aesthetics but I feel like it was never suited for MWO. [/color]

What I would love to see now would be a complete change in development philosophy and a pretty huge redesign/shift IF possible. MWO stops being PVP and now focuses on PVE. We get in: Smarter AI, Tanks, Infantry, Aerospace, Choppers, Turrets, core meltdowns a la MW:LL you name it.

Quickplay is nuked and FactionPlay becomes your PVE where you have two different coop campaigns depending on whether you go clanner or IS. Completing campaigns/missions unlocks you swag for a given faction that you chose, maybe even a unique final mission for each faction if we're going full on redesign.
Monetisation could maybe be done on mech swag/ certain unique weapons/components/mechs that are LOSTECH levels of rare hopefully not game breaking but still worth your time.[/color]

And if going PVE is redundant because there is MW:5, at the very least I want that in MWO my battles MEAN something, not like random battles in WoT. Not sure how to achieve that in PVP but if you guys can pull it off, kudos. Still I'd like to see it be PVE but meant for a bigger audience than MW:5 like a MMOPVE in the vein of Warframe. Although then it's trying to justify why someone would purchase MW:5 in the first place instead of F2P MWO MMOPVE. Not really sure how to make MWO's PVE unique...

To summarise, you want MW:5 in MWO.

You might be better of requesting that content in MW:5 as that game already has 'PVE. We get in: Smarter an AI, Tanks, Infantry, Aerospace, Choppers, Turrets, core meltdowns a la MW:LL you name it.'

#283 evil kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:05 AM

things i think would be a big help to mwo

change the skill tree: nerf the consumables tree, reduce grind through less nodes and/or give more cbills and xp per match

make ghos heat less intrusive (dual ac20s, gauss ppc gh cap from 3 to 4, stuff like that)

isxl st deaths removed

rescale mechs so theyre less massive (increase torso range of motion so that leg hugging is less powerfultoo)

more fun quirks to make the c teir mechs at least fun (ex: the old 50% locust laser quirks. doesnt matter if the quirk is op on a ****** chassis as long as the quirk doesnt effect survivability, and as long as its fun)

and most importantly: make fw great again. idk what it could be, but anything that adds depth, or immersion, or increases faction identity, or brings units to the forefront. just do something new with it. with the removal of 12 man quickplay, it is THE place for large team gameplay outside of comp. maybe lean into that and dress it up in the mechwarrior tone. thats what mechassault did right, even if it didnt nail the lore, it nailed the tone of the universe. get the tone right and ill be happy.

#284 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:12 AM

Speaking of things that aren't fun:

Lazy Missile rain.

Remove indirect locks entirely unless TAG or NARC is present. Also remove the "lock retention" mechanic where a player can continue to hit a target which is not visible to anyone.

#285 evil kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:17 AM

wanna add to my suggestion, monthly fw events like the old battle of tukkayid events would be great. if you did exactly what you used to for tukkayid, and just changed the promotional stuffs wording, rewards, and the planets/factions involved, you can hit a lot of lore warriors itches and give people a reason to regularly group up with friends and play.

#286 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:21 AM

View PostPinkie Pie, on 09 October 2020 - 09:38 PM, said:

Massively streamline the skill tree. This would have a twofold effect of bringing back interest to check it out, but also make it so much easier for a new player to grasp and not feel overwhelmed. It would mean easier experimentation to both find builds you like as well as change builds as tastes change.

No more fractional skills!

Something other games have done when this sort of customization is possible is to create 3 or 4 templates that the new player can use.. filling it in as he or she gains more nodes. The different templates would suit different playstyles that the player could choose .. ie. heavy armor and firepower nodes for brawlers.. Range, zoom and radar dep nodes for the snipers.. Lot's of agility and armor for lights.. etc..

They won't be perfect but it help prevent new players from being overwhelmed. Once they familiarize themselves with the nodes, they can further tweak it to their own liking.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 10 October 2020 - 07:22 AM.

#287 Red October911

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 211 posts
  • LocationMTL,Quebec

Posted 10 October 2020 - 08:06 AM

View PostTemporary Axis, on 10 October 2020 - 05:18 AM, said:

To summarise, you want MW:5 in MWO.

You might be better of requesting that content in MW:5 as that game already has 'PVE. We get in: Smarter an AI, Tanks, Infantry, Aerospace, Choppers, Turrets, core meltdowns a la MW:LL you name it.'

Yeah I kind of realized that last night as I mention in the post, it was late lol Posted Image

But I thought about it this morning, and since we're sticking to PVP for MWO a HUGE Quality of Life I'd love to see is

1. Sound Redesign on Ballistics and PPCs, I want ACs to deafen me and PPCs to have a satisfying ZAP, use MW:LL as reference.

2. One of the huge grips I had and still have is that to this day, killing a Battlemech in MWO IS BORING. Just a small puff of smoke and awkward ragdolling. I want a cockpit Explosion kind of like Mechcommander 2 or again MW:LL, although I much prefer MC2's of seeing and ejection pod and the mech falling HARD on the ground, maybe add some screen shake depending on the weight. MAKE ME FEEL LIKE I'VE Taken down an absolutely HUGE ROBOT WARMACHINE

3. GLASS BREAKING IN COCKPIT.

4. Melee system, maybe you press a button and a melee animation occurs for several seconds in which you can only perhaps cancel out if you press the melee button 2x.

5. CORE MELTDOWNS I don't care how you do it, JUST DO IT!

6.Knockdowns

If we are sticking to meaningless deathball QuickPlay PVP, at least make it THRILLING when destroying a mech, that's what made me leave in the 1st place, and what I think MW:LL gets so right. I was willing to put up with MWO's WoT-like PVP but it was NEVER as satisfying to kill a mech in MWO as it was to YEETSPLOSION a tank in actual WoT.

I'm glad at least there were some talks about 4 and 6 in the podcasts, but I'd also like to see 1, 2, 3, and 5 addressed

P.S TO DAERON: I hope you past on my wish list to MW;5 crew from my previous post lol. MW:5 feels like a tech demo still needs improvements like I mentioned in my prev post

TL;DR: ADD IMMERSION!

Edited by Red October911, 10 October 2020 - 10:18 AM.

#288 Uialion

Rookie

• Warrior - Point 2
  • Warrior - Point 2
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 09:30 AM

I've been playing for just over a year. Love the game. The new player experience is a bit lacking, I agree it could use some love. You guys - meaning PGI - sound like you're saying, "We'll invest in this if the players will." Almost like a cry for financial input. My suggestion to get that is release content packs to Steam where the launcher is downloaded from. You want people to put into the game? Start by getting out of US-locked currency for the paid content. I live in Canada, would love to support a Canadian game developer, but not with a crappy exchange rate and extra fees on my wallet to make it happen. Obviously that means having to price everything differently based on the purchase region, but if that's the effort it takes to start seeing some revenue why wouldn't you do it?

#289 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 October 2020 - 10:46 AM

The most simple quality of life fix in MWO is to add a NOTES field on the mech. This will allow players with Hundreds of mechs to document the gameplay style that works best for the specific mech.

#290 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 October 2020 - 12:36 PM

View PostRed October911, on 10 October 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

a HUGE Quality of Life I'd love to see is
Literally none of the things you name are QOL changes.

1. Sound Redesign on Ballistics and PPCs, I want ACs to deafen me and PPCs to have a satisfying ZAP, use MW:LL as reference.
Or in other words, you want PGI to make sound pack MTX. I'm actually in favor, but this isn't a QOL request at all.

2. One of the huge grips I had and still have is that to this day, killing a Battlemech in MWO IS BORING. Just a small puff of smoke and awkward ragdolling. I want a cockpit Explosion kind of like Mechcommander 2 or again MW:LL, although I much prefer MC2's of seeing and ejection pod and the mech falling HARD on the ground, maybe add some screen shake depending on the weight. MAKE ME FEEL LIKE I'VE Taken down an absolutely HUGE ROBOT WARMACHINE
So new animations for all 100+ chassis. This isn't a QOL request.

3. GLASS BREAKING IN COCKPIT.
Cosmetic change requiring new assets - again for 100+ chassis - and new code to handle them. Not a QOL request either.

4. Melee system, maybe you press a button and a melee animation occurs for several seconds in which you can only perhaps cancel out if you press the melee button 2x.
This isn't a QOL request, it's a feature request that would require additional animations (100+... youalreadyknowthat) and code. Potentially a big balance concern, too.

5. CORE MELTDOWNS I don't care how you do it, JUST DO IT!
Again not a QOL request, it's a feature request with balance impact.

6.Knockdowns
Again not a QOL request, it's a feature request with balance impact. We had knockdowns in the beta, they were pulled because it was possible to abuse them to grief people.

Edited by Horseman, 10 October 2020 - 12:37 PM.

#291 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 10 October 2020 - 01:04 PM

View PostSurn, on 10 October 2020 - 10:46 AM, said:

The most simple quality of life fix in MWO is to add a NOTES field on the mech. This will allow players with Hundreds of mechs to document the gameplay style that works best for the specific mech.

I suggest you rename each mech to display the current build on it.. for example 3LP 5ML TC1. This has helped me immensely when looking through my mechs.. especially when I have duplicates of the same mech.

#292 morosis

• PipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 02:42 PM

i dont have the time to read through the entire thread so hopefully this isnt a waste of everyone's time.

i think in order for mwo to get back to a point where it is attractive to both new players and vets, we need some quick fixes as well as some more meaty, substantial updates.

gameplay fixes, i'm sure already mentioned:
1) fix spawns.
2) code optimization/bug fixes so we can run the game on higher graphical settings without nuking performance, and the game works as intended.
3) clean up invisible walls, floating mechs, poor hitreg. not sure if all of these are connected or not but they all involve the way the models and maps are rendered in game so i'm grouping them.
4) tweak current maps such that each one is supportive of a variety of builds, range options, and non-rotation based gameplay.
5) rescale. the scale of some mechs makes them unplayable.

more long term:
1) make the game easier to showcase via competitive play. competitive play drives retention, commitment from players, time spent by players to develop skills, and a sense of community. currently competitive play is an afterthought, the client is buggy and does not allow for proper showcasing of the talent of the players involved. you have a ton of talented players still in the game so the seeds of this would be easy to sow and should produce revenue via youtube/new players/cosmetics/mech purchases/battlepass purchases, or whatever monetization would be desired.
2) rework the skill tree system. it is too much of a grind, and certain mechs dont really play well until the skill tree is more or less completed. i dont see the point in nerfing the players experience with a new mech they are excited to play. an idea could be making skill tree type enhancements cost c-bills and having that c-bill cost decrease as the mech is mastered. a player with a lot of c-bills could afford to simply run all the enhancements at a high cost, a player with less could save up before purchasing their new mech so as to be able to run a more or less enhanced mech as he/she might choose.
3) allow players to develop maps, or at a minimum, have maps all run through not only a map artist but also a level designer to ensure not only environmental immersion (space vs snow vs desert) but also viable/legitimate gameplay options exist on each. no more maps with central area that promotes rotation. more valleys, bunkers, cities, walls, asymmetrical advance/retreat paths, etc. allow a process of community voting such that new maps are added and unpopular maps are rotated out periodically.
4) bounty system. reward players for killing/kmdd/assisting on players higher ELO than them. reward players for breaking opponent kill streaks. reward players for direct fire kills vs indirect kills. reward players for airborne kills. reward players for skill shots like headshots or shots that destroy components/weapons/heatsinks. reward players for killing a member of an opposing premade group. allow these bonuses to stack such that players are incentivized to develop the skill to go for difficult shots. all of this is just to say that there should be incentives tied to a player growing his/her own skill.
5) change the group system. currently groups dictate the outcome way too much. make it possible for the player to choose "quickplay without groups" from the selector bar where we select server regions. make it understood that this will increase wait times. i will wait longer to play without groups, even if it means match quality is worse or teams are more imbalanced. i hate the groups in quickplay and this has not changed since it was first introduced in may. in fact it has gotten so bad now that dropping solo, i feel like i can do very little to determine the W/L outcome regardless of how well i play. a side effect of the group dropping mechanic is that groups prefer to talk in their independent discord, so there is no communication within the game. this is making gameplay less coordinated and more chaotic.

#293 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 October 2020 - 02:59 PM

Easy Monitization, engine sound mods. Some people hate the engine sound on certain mechs, MC or other upgrades to engine sound would be popular.

IE. Commando engine sounds about to break

#294 - - - - MADMAN - - - -

• Pip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 10 October 2020 - 04:18 PM

Nice to see someone so passionate about the game onboard. Looking forward to seeing what comes of it!!

I do my part supporting the game via YouTube vids.
Come check out the latest video and subscribe for more. New mechs played daily.
See you on the battlefield!!

https://youtu.be/NM3xlMABAMs

#295 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 October 2020 - 05:21 PM

NEW Revenue stream:

MWO CLOUD:
I have screenshots, videos, links, gifs, supporting files like logitec Utilities, reshade profiles, logos, sound files, stream configuration backups, etc.. maybe a terabyte of data.

Having all of this in one spot for a few dollars a month....

Sure we could use other solutions...BUT NOT IF THE GAME OUTPUT SOME AUTOMATIC CONTENT after playing.

Imagine a gif from above of every 10 seconds of the match...written by the server to subscribed MWO Cloud accounts. Win X days of mwo cloud prizes in events...etc

Examples: 30 second intervals
Posted Image

Posted Image

The ultimate would be if it automatically recorded a video of the game.
Even a log of the game would be good.

Edited by Surn, 11 October 2020 - 09:51 AM.

#296 mercenarie

• PipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 10 October 2020 - 05:48 PM

First, welcome back Daeron! It's good to see again.

You along with Phil have really been my go-to folks whenever I wanted to just sit back and enjoy some dudes talk Mechwarrior and so I trust in your ability to translate each and every one of our thoughts into something comprehensible Posted Image to make this game more better than ever.

Anyway, I'd like MWO to be re-built around a new engine for a better optimization and with that:
  • Make the game with higher resolution textures if possible
  • Allow us to change/customize UI (selection of in-game interface colors/reticules)
  • Sound paks or a variation of available engine modulators/selections that lets players select and modify their either engine sounds, bitching betty, overheat or weapon reload sound queues -- I want options
  • Maybe make the internal cockpit screens functional and display relevant info or possibly even let us customize what to display there... I never had been craving for more soundhorns or bobbleheads in my cockpit, I'm more interested to see some next gen stuff that would make me feel we're really in a year 3050.
Immersion:
  • I'd like to see a gameplay that would make me feel like the mech I'm piloting is really a war machine!

-- Somehow, back in Beta/Closed beta, I had that feeling more than in current state of game.
  • Make the weapons feel more impactful, I wanna hear big and loud thumps when shooting AC10 or bigger..
  • Make the PPCs disrupt my screens as well as radar/HUD/ECM for like 1-5 seconds w/ diminishing returns? Something like -- this
Monetization:
  • It's a little bit dated and yes it definitely needs an improvement. I'd lean towards some iteration of season pass to let players earn in-game items just by playing the game.
Gameplay:
  • CW - Community Warfare: I feel like this deserve it's own section in Forums, but let me recap my thoughts from playing it day 1 when released to the point of late 2017/2018 and thus, some of my ideas might be dated

- Introduce larger maps or even smaller ones with a new instanced 4v4 up to 24v24 if technically possible on a new engine. Could be part of a quick play for solo players too?
    - Make the sectors/planets dominated by faction feel important. Have special discounts on weapons or mechs based on which planets are owned
    - Introduce union class dropships - this would probably require bigger map for CW, but it could serve as anti spawn-kill protection? (those things are beasts)
    - Add different new concurrent objectives when deployed in a conflict that would help either side
    - Buff loyalist rewards
    - Increase mech experience for CW matches
    - Allow players earn MC (long-term loyalist challenges? idk, everyone would want MC, so probably something more appealing)
    - 'WIN THE CW' - There should be some sort of a period in which factions are able to win it and force to reset it or wait till the period ends to start a new one
    - 'Heat map' : it's some idea I was thinking about the other day. There could be major and minor conflicts between factions visually signalized on the map. Player units could enqueue to participate in these for C-Bill bonuses. Other parts of the borders that are minor conflicts could provide some influence that could be utilized in major fights (call in artillery/air strikes/ammo resupply points) all in available during fights.
    - Solo player queue? If CW player numbers permit this in the future
    - Let units customize their dropship with decals/patterns
  • Solaris - a great idea for a mode which turned out to be underwhelming. I felt like this has never peeked my interest although I absolutely loved Solaris matches in Mechwarrior 4. Maybe let us place bets before the match starts, let us win MC's, introduce weekly leaderboards? Not sure if any of this has been added.
  • Improved new player experience - the learning curve is still quite steep, I wonder if this could turn out to be better... We need more players!
  • !!!Events!!! - special queue for weekly/daily events such as light mechs only, laser weapons only, heat dissipation efficiency doubled, ghost heat removed (Probably a bad idea Posted Image), LRM/SRM weapon reload time and heat drastically decreased (LRMAGEDDON), damage increase while in mid-air (JUMPTARTS FIESTA) etc..
  • Active/Passive Sensor - I don't know why this was never a thing in MWO?
  • New Maps - pretty self explanatory
  • Core/Engine critical explosions - could be a challenge to incorporate this, but I feel like this is quite a defining aspect of Mechwarrior games
  • Consumables improvement - allow us to use cool shots gradually, not all at once please
    airstrike/arty could use more dmg per impact although add in a second or two for players to get the F*** out of the zone
    UAV's are okay BUT make them fly up to a higher altitude..when you're an experienced player you can spot these ufo's quickly and shoot them with ease; this makes them trivial and I never liked it
  • Re-scale - for obvious reasons
  • MechLab - add in special equipment icons over the mech thumbnails such as ECM/BAP/TAG
  • Unit cammo/pattern - let unit leaders customize and make their very own cammos that could then be used by members of that unit. Players would automatically get access to a unit cammo when they join or are part of a unit.

Edited by mercenarie, 10 October 2020 - 05:51 PM.

#297 eeaus

Rookie

• The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AUS

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for the commitment PGI.

I’m a 2-3 yr MWO player now and enjoy logging on for casual play. Good degree of competition and skill at my high tier 3/ low tier 2 level.

Having previously invested in the MW5 ultimate community edition, in part as a small contribution on my part to PGI for the development and maintenance of these games that I so enjoy, I find I have a stack of MC and C-bills available and I don’t really have a need to buy anything?

I’m happy with what I’ve got and the mechs I play with etc, so I’m wondering if there is a way players like myself can continue to contribute new dollars into this game to help you guys keeping it going? As an older gamer, I’m privileged to not have to worry so much about dollars now, so I realise I’m from a different demographic.

Could there be a regular (voluntary) community donation type system? Community supporters or the like? Just thought I’d share something to the general discussion.

Edited by eeaus, 10 October 2020 - 07:20 PM.

#298 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:26 PM

View PostRed October911, on 10 October 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

Are you saying the breakdance of death that Assassins do isn't enough?!

#299 DevilCrayon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 274 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:30 PM

My wish-list of quality of life improvements are very similar to things other people have brought up already:
  • spawn point adjustment
  • spawn point variably so every match isn't A or B on any given map
  • Invisible Walls
  • a flatter incline re-scale reducing the top end and everything except the smallest lights
  • improve the visibility of quirks (another color, or bracketed or something)
One I don't think I've seen yet, or missed, is to make somehow combine `r` for lock with the command-wheel `target spotted` for a quicker UX rout to pinging spotted targets, or even expanding to be a quicker ping for a variety of contextual calls to action.

A thing I know isn't very likely, but I'll ask anyway: I'd _love_ it if it were possible to redo the Project Phoenix unique skins to include the details in the original concept art. At the time it was limited by the texture size, but most of them have been increased to 2x the old size since then:
Posted Image

For monetization -- I could see paying for a Season Pass type of thing that could do a variety of things, like maybe include an additional Sadness Box that could include some things not available in the standard boxes like camo specs or colors.

Longer term improvement -- I'd really love to feel like the matches mean something. The early days of Community Warfare/Faction Play had this sense of purpose that QP and Solaris lack. I don't have any clear direction on what that would look like, though.

Edited by DevilCrayon, 13 October 2020 - 07:13 PM.

#300 0IOIHIOI0

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 04:29 AM

We live in a great time of popularity of RGB, LGBT, RNE and so on. It is difficult to argue with this and I do not approve of it. Therefore, I suggest adding a special animated paint to the in-game store. Here's something like this.

[color=#FFFFFF]Posted Image[/color]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users