Bring Back Steam Packs

Store

15 replies to this topic

#1 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 06:48 AM

With all that monetization talk, it boggles my mind that a product has simply been taken off the shelf. Did they go stale or something?

How much effort would new ones be? Slap an (S) and a Hotrod paintjob on existing variants and they're good to go, no? I'm sure some people would spend a buck on a cbill-boosted WVR-7K or VGL-3.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 06:56 AM

View PostDakkalistic, on 08 November 2020 - 06:48 AM, said:

With all that monetization talk, it boggles my mind that a product has simply been taken off the shelf. Did they go stale or something?

How much effort would new ones be? Slap an (S) and a Hotrod paintjob on existing variants and they're good to go, no? I'm sure some people would spend a buck on a cbill-boosted WVR-7K or VGL-3.

Not a bad idea.

But why limit it to Steam? PGI could sell them in the regular MWO Store. That "S" would just mean "Special" instead of "Steam".

#3 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 417 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 07:35 AM

Dunno if the 30% margin on sales for steam would apply to steam packs as well, but assume it does. On the other hand a lot of folks using the steam client for ages already are somewhat reluctant - at least in my case - to spend money via a different third party website. Assume that applies even more for drop in/drop out players ...

So offering some sort of smart packs on steam might result in sales happening. Decent idea ... please elaborate a little more.

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 08 November 2020 - 07:36 AM.

#4 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 08 November 2020 - 08:01 AM

View Postmartian, on 08 November 2020 - 06:56 AM, said:

But why limit it to Steam? PGI could sell them in the regular MWO Store. That "S" would just mean "Special" instead of "Steam".

Why not have [E]pic packs while we're at it.

#5 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 08 November 2020 - 08:17 AM

GREAT idea!

That's what a bunch of us have been saying... basically any mech (especially popular "meta" standard mechs) can be converted to a special/hero with +20% or +30% C-Bills bonus.

http://mwomercs.com/...uses-xp-bonuses

Similar to what they did to the Sarah Jenner, JR7-D(S), also a +30% C-Bills bonus of the Standard Variant.

Please PGI, please please please?

#6 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 08:44 AM

(A) I want the Warhawk Prime WHK-Prime(I) that came in at the top package of US$250 !!
But literally all other items in this US$250 Masakari package literally does not interest me (since I have the Hero for these).
<It's in the "Clan" Premium Package = Masakari Collection>

(B ) I also want the Hellbringer Prime HBR-Prime(I) that came in at US$90 dollars.
(Heck, at US$90, might as well go for the top package at US$120 dollars).
<It's in the "Clan Wave II" Premium Package = Gargoyle Collection>

(C) And I can get that bonus Mad Dog Prime MDD-Prime(I) if I buy both (A) + (B ) packages at just US$370 dollars!
(ie: $370 = $250 + $120).

Seriously, PGI, that was 7+ years ago.
And the real world economy back then was much better than now.

Perhaps some price adjustments may be in order...

There is still demand for these; I still want the above two (2) special variants (A) + (B ) !

Edited by w0qj, 08 November 2020 - 08:58 AM.

#7 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 417 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 09:07 AM

We should not forget, that PGI adheres to official/canon variants of mechs (more or less). So some variants may not have meta-potential but are still products with dev-time invested (even if it is minor) and therefore need to create revenue ... can't see (without a hard investment in special quirking of nearly every variant to make it viable to some degree) how to sell singled out variants only without a huge offset in terms of non-popular variants.

Assume that is why they sell complete mech packs only and what furthermore kept them from offering upgrades applicable to individually chosen mechs (be it CB- or EXP-Boni) since it somewhat would devaluate the urge to buy hero-mechs. If that does still apply with the status quo of the game / most accounts already havin' a lot of hero mechs, I can't say.

I personally would limit the "CBill / EXP-Upgrades" a player can buy for individual variants to one or two per account tbh.

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 08 November 2020 - 09:09 AM.

#8 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 11:07 AM

View PostLockheed_, on 08 November 2020 - 08:25 AM, said:

What I would buy instantly is all the special variants that come with a mech release, the ones with special camo and 30% C-bill boost. Also the Special Geometrie mechs. I really want that Resistance II Black Knight witht the special geometrie, but I am not spending 42-60 bucks for a bunch or laserboats, when I only want this one mech.

That's reasonable. There are some good games that cost 50-60 dollars, game and everything.

View Postw0qj, on 08 November 2020 - 08:44 AM, said:

Perhaps some price adjustments may be in order...

Yeah.

Those 'Mech Packs and collections were invented in the era when MWO players needed 3 different 'Mechs to master them. This is no longer the case and I think that some change of thinking on the PGI's side would be in order.

#9 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 08 November 2020 - 03:40 PM

Oh you haven't heard?

They put their faith in Epic.

#10 The Lighthouse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 05:02 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 08 November 2020 - 03:40 PM, said:

Oh you haven't heard?

They put their faith in Epic.

Are there some restrictions by the way? This actually made me think about Epic deal on MW5. I hope there is no limit on MWO's steam packages due to Epic's MW5 deal.

#11 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 07:34 PM

Another online game I've played made a deal for a Steam package promotion for 2-3 year time frame.
The Steam package was quite popular during the promotion.
Then the deal was apparently not renewed, and this package was removed from Steam.

Then a few months later, this "same" package (with name/cosmetic changes) showed up in the online game's own package sales promotion!

Therefore it looks like games like MWO usually sign 2-3 year promotion package with Steam, after which the game package is subject to renewal offer, and if it is not renewed then package is removed from Steam.

Edited by w0qj, 08 November 2020 - 07:59 PM.

#12 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:30 AM

Yaaas plz. I own all ze steam packs lol

#13 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:53 AM

Some encouraging news folks, MWO/PGI might be thinking of bringing back the Steam Performance Packs!

Especially if enough of us pester them for it; strongly suggest you reply to this below Dev Update Thread :
http://mwomercs.com/...update-jan-2021

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Steam Performance Pack I (for Light/Medium/Heavy/Assault)
http://mwomercs.com/...-the-gift-store

Steam Performance Pack II (for Light/Medium/Heavy/Assault)
http://mwomercs.com/...e-through-steam

Edited by w0qj, 16 January 2021 - 03:54 AM.

#14 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:57 AM

There are people who are gifted steam credits and have a pile of it too. Those credits won't convert to $$ for them to pay for MWO stuff from the MWO website.

In my little 3rd world country, you can go to nearly any store and use cash to buy steam credit codes without needing a credit or debit card. Can't do that with PGI's website. You can also get Steam credit codes using prepaid phone load.

Companies who don't have proper data to work with are often paranoid that one thing is eating into the sales of another, but Steam has its own source of money that can't be used out of the Steam platform and not having packs to sell on it means PGI cannot earn from people who have those credits.

Of course, I'm saying this without knowing any of PGI's sales data and maybe they didn't earn anything significant from Steam. Who knows?

Edited by Elizander, 16 January 2021 - 04:00 AM.

#15 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 04:56 AM

I know; I'm playing MWO via Steam.

That's why I suggested in below Dev Thread that MWO can sell the 'Mech Performance Packs I & II (all 8 packs) directly from MWO website and MWO ingame.

http://mwomercs.com/...update-jan-2021

View PostElizander, on 16 January 2021 - 03:57 AM, said:

There are people who are gifted steam credits and have a pile of it too. Those credits won't convert to $$ for them to pay for MWO stuff from the MWO website. ...

#16 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:01 PM

I'm so glad i picked the packs up while they were on Steam sales (steam packs).. before they disappeared.

But yeah i'd buy more.

Why don't they just break up those early clan packs and make them more affordable.. $240 for a pack no matter how many you get no chance. At conversion rates that's 312.25 Australian Dollars probably more.

Edited by Samial, 17 January 2021 - 04:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users