#421 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:19 PM

View PostFupDup, on 24 February 2021 - 05:05 PM, said:

EDIT: Another point is that the Sunder has some geometry above the cockpit, which means you might take shots when you think you're safe and it gives the reds slightly more time to react when you're about to move up a hill to shoot.

Posted Image

Depending on how Alex interprets this it might suffer from the Uziel syndrome.

Guess I was hoping for more this:
Posted Image

At least the arms and shoulder energies are just about cockpit level... just a tad lower I guess.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 24 February 2021 - 05:21 PM.

#422 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:21 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 24 February 2021 - 05:19 PM, said:

Guess I was hoping for more this:
Posted Image

I think there's a decent chance of that because Alex did take a lot of design cues for the Fafnir from MW4 (basically just ported it straight over but made the torso shorter).

It would be good to get rid of that small "upper arm" piece that sits between the big part of the arm and the torso since that just makes the arms lower for no real gain or reason. The mech isn't supposed to have any lower actuators anyways.

Edited by FupDup, 24 February 2021 - 05:23 PM.

#423 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:26 PM

View PostFupDup, on 24 February 2021 - 05:21 PM, said:

I think there's a decent chance of that because Alex did take a lot of design cues for the Fafnir from MW4 (basically just ported it straight over but made the torso shorter).

It would be good to get rid of that small "upper arm" piece that sits between the big part of the arm and the torso since that just makes the arms lower for no real gain or reason. The mech isn't supposed to have any lower actuators anyways.

Yeah. What do you think of the chance of us getting that Samual hero with like 12 Ballistic Hardpoints?

Really the only thing I wish it had was a left arm with 2B to run 2 UAC5s and 2 PPCs.

#424 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:31 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 24 February 2021 - 05:26 PM, said:

Yeah. What do you think of the chance of us getting that Samual hero with like 12 Ballistic Hardpoints?

Really the only thing I wish it had was a left arm with 2B to run 2 UAC5s and 2 PPCs.

The Samual hero as it is cannot be added because it breaks the hardpoint cap of 16. There is however a reasonable chance of PGI making a custom version of it like they did for the Thanatos and Hellspawn heroes, keeping the same spirit but not breaking the mechlab.

It would probably get accusations of P2W though, which wouldn't be entirely unwarranted. I guess they could balance it out by making the mega-hardpoint side torsos not have as much armor quirks as the sides that have only 1 hardpoint (and/or give the lower HP count sides a larger twist radius, as a callback to the mech's large twist radius from MW4).

For regular variants I'd like to see a "flipped Sunder" that puts 1-2 ballistics in the left arm and 2 energy in the right arm. Put it in the reinforcements pack. And heck, 2 energy hardpoints in the CT just for good measure (maybe on a different variant).

Edited by FupDup, 24 February 2021 - 05:38 PM.

#425 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:35 PM

My biggest problem with the Hauptmann is that it doesn't really seem able to run any scary loadouts something going 48.6. What would you run on it?

View PostFupDup, on 24 February 2021 - 05:31 PM, said:

For regular variants I'd like to see a "flipped Sunder" that puts 1-2 ballistics in the left arm and 2 energy in the right arm. Put it in the reinforcements pack. And heck, an energy hardpoint in the head and 2 in the CT just for good measure (maybe on a different variant).

Yeah, there already is a variant with a head laser but the CT lasers would be nice.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 24 February 2021 - 05:34 PM.

#426 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:38 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 24 February 2021 - 05:33 PM, said:

My biggest problem with the Hauptmann is that it doesn't really seem able to run any scary loadouts something going 48.6. What would you run on it?

I admit that when I asked for the Hauptmann to take priority over the Sunder, I did not do the actual loadout maths (I'm focused entirely on survivability).

I guess I'd take a pair of big ballistics like Gooses or UAC/10s up in the shoulders and then grab whatever lasers or PPCs I can fit into the arms (low mounts, I know). The Plasma Rifle/MML variant would allow triple ballistics but we don't have that tech level yet. I can see your point about loadouts, but I'm still really concerned about the durability issue.

Edited by FupDup, 24 February 2021 - 05:42 PM.

#427 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:42 PM

View PostFupDup, on 24 February 2021 - 05:38 PM, said:

I admit that when I asked for the Hauptmann to take priority over the Sunder, I did not do the actual loadout maths (I'm focused entirely on survivability).

I guess I'd take a pair of big ballistics like Gooses or UAC/10s and then grab whatever lasers or PPCs I can fit into the arms (low mounts, I know). The Plasma Rifle/MML variant would allow triple ballistics but we don't have that tech level yet. I can see your point about loadouts, but I'm still really concerned about the durability issue.

Yeah like I tried to do 2 UAC10s and 2 PPCs with ECM, but without stripping armor it has 2 tons of ammo and only 11 DHS.

Dual Goose, 4t ammo, 5 ERML, ECM, 14 DHS.... 48.6 KPH

Underwhelming. Guess I would rather gamble on PGI balancing around the XL with durability and mobility.

Because comp aside, how often do you really lose a side on a humanoid THAT quickly. I do when I **** up, but then I just write off the match and start over.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 24 February 2021 - 05:44 PM.

#428 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 02:54 PM

View PostFupDup, on 24 February 2021 - 05:21 PM, said:

The mech isn't supposed to have any lower actuators anyways.

Okay whoopsiedoodle here, there are in fact variants with lower armor actuators. I'll rephrase and instead say that they should handle it like the Shadow Cat's arms are.

#429 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:19 PM

I like these points and all but it might be easier to have split them up a little but oh well.

While I do like the idea of adding new chassis & variants I think the priority should be on game-play. I'd focus on balance in general and fix quirks on the weakest mechs but I'd also suggest adding hard points on mechs that need them. I mean, there are mechs with just 2 hard points. Another thing to consider adding instead of mechs would be new equipment to spice up how we build out mechs.

Indeed the chassis or variants added should also be chosen for being fun to play. For example in Gas's poll that's been shared here some of the top voted mechs have literally no chance of being fun without god tier quirks and even then that might not be enough. So I'd suggest choosing popular mechs with a strong potential for being decent or that bring a little bit of uniqueness like that new Tbolt with it's combo of JJ, MASC & ECM. I'd say add more MASC mechs in general tbh and buff assault masc & JJs

For IS omnis I'm not totally decided on how to implement them but I will say you should start with the best chance of being strong or fun to play over nostalgia picks. Sure it's cool to get in your nostalgia mech but if you're always getting wrecked, struggling or feeling like the mech is holding you back, that's not going to be quite so fun anymore. For example I drove the movement for the Nightstar but in game it needs help so I end up choosing other mechs instead. (Although it's fantastic in MW5 haha)

IS omnis would be great and bring a new dynamic to the game so whatever solution you come up with, I'd suggest really pushing to make them work and have a solution the community will buy into. IS omnis would be exciting enough news that they could be the defibulator for the game if timed well with other fixes/improvements but as I mentioned before that the wrong mechs would hinder that.

With all that said, these are the mechs I'd choose. Both IS & Clan regular or omni
IS Omnis
- Raptor, I suggest this IS light because of it's potential in game & expands the 25 ton selection. Give the hero MASC but in a place that makes it a choice.
- Men Shen, aside from it's potential for strength in game it also brings the option for MASC, JJs & ECM in one mech at 55t.
- Black Hawk-Ku, This offers the strongest potential for a fun to play IS omni heavy as the others are rather terrible
- Toss up between Sunder & Templar but they will need extra durability on their STs.

IS Bmechs
- Brigand, aside from being a legit pirate mech it also offers an excellent 25 ton option. (Mongoose as an alternate)
- Lightray, while there are potentially stronger mediums that could be added, the Lray would be unique for it's speed at 55t as it could use a 400 in game. It also could have some decent hitboxes with it's thin frame.
- Dragon Fire, as you can tell from my sig, I'm quite a fan. Dfire oozes potential with it's high mounts and good HPs. On top of that it has ECM and it's body shape should translate quite well in MWO. (Toyama, Falconer & Anvil would all be quite nice as well)
- Gunslinger, High mounted energy and ballistics with ecm/jj combo at 85 tons

Clans
- Omni, Firemoth, nuff said
- BM, Locust IIc, somewhat scary with it's potential in game tbh.

- Omni, MW4 Hellhound. Basically to settle the debate on this mech, just make the MW4 model an omni while Conjurer stays as a BM Wolverine IIc
- BM, Shadowhawk IIc, super popular in the poll & while it might not be all that interesting build wise it should be good in game

- Crossbow, not very many choices for clan omni heavies if we stick to the timeline.
- BM, Black Python, 75 ton powerhouse so yes please.

- Omni, Kingfisher best clan assault omni that conforms to the timeline
- BM, (Bull Shark would be epic) but I'll put Blood Kite because I want to see if Alex can make it not ugly plus it has some fun possibilities.

#430 JOATMON Incorporated

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 90 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:05 PM

I do like the idea of IS getting Omnimechs. I do think that the side torso death penalty should remain with IS omnis using XL engines as this keeps things a bit closer to the old original Battletech design.
Obviously this is a huge disadvantage for IS Omnis vs Clan Omnis.
There is a way to balance this however. If you look at the old BT lore, when the IS were attacking Clan in the Operation Bulldog and Serpent campaigns, they captured a Clan military depot. They then took a number of the Clan omnipod weapons and placed them onto IS omnimechs.
If we move that trait over to MWO, the IS Omnis would be significantly more fragile than the Clan Omnis, but more adaptable.

The idea would be maybe let a mech swap out an IS Gauss for a Clan Gauss to get a few tons back... but you would lose any ballistics bonuses as a result, but you can squeeze in a few more tons of ammo, armor, ECM etc.

Now there would need to be safeguards in place to prevent massive abuse of this. The easiest way to fix that would probably be to ensure that IS omni mechs received NO modifier bonuses to any clan weapons/equipment they equipped. Additionally there could be some outright penalties such as -1HSL to clan energy weapons, increased heat penalty when breaking HSL limits, or a penalty to lock times when using Clan missiles (in addition to getting the Clan LRM streams vs IS burst fire.), or AC ballistic reload times.

#431 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:50 PM

View PostJOATMON Incorporated, on 25 February 2021 - 10:05 PM, said:

I do like the idea of IS getting Omnimechs. I do think that the side torso death penalty should remain with IS omnis using XL engines as this keeps things a bit closer to the old original Battletech design.
Obviously this is a huge disadvantage for IS Omnis vs Clan Omnis.

And with Lore/tabletop, they did not have pinpoint accuracy. Hit/Miss then locations were determined by the roll of dice. Nor does MWO utilize even all of BT engine crit damage. ST loss for isXL, cXL and LFE is a flag check, once a ST is destroyed this happens. Actual engine crits, whether via ST or CT are completely ignored by the game thus no reason to stay with only ONE component of that setup. PGI could still use it for flavor, and technically is not locked into 3 engine crits + then a mech is out. PGI could increase that to 4 engine crits+.. heck they could increase it to 5 engine crits+ which would allow cXL equipped mechs to continue running as a stick in the same manner as mechs equipped with STD engines, though most Clan omnis currently do not have the ability to equip weapons in the CT due to setup.

There is a way to balance this however. If you look at the old BT lore, when the IS were attacking Clan in the Operation Bulldog and Serpent campaigns, they captured a Clan military depot. They then took a number of the Clan omnipod weapons and placed them onto IS omnimechs.

PGI is even less likely to allow this setup at all.

if we move that trait over to MWO, the IS Omnis would be significantly more fragile than the Clan Omnis, but more adaptable.

The idea would be maybe let a mech swap out an IS Gauss for a Clan Gauss to get a few tons back... but you would lose any ballistics bonuses as a result, but you can squeeze in a few more tons of ammo, armor, ECM etc.

Then for all players would be aiming for a ST for a guarantee kill, just as players did prior to the introduction of LFE for isXL ST check, ie remove a ST for a kill.

Now there would need to be safeguards in place to prevent massive abuse of this. The easiest way to fix that would probably be to ensure that IS omni mechs received NO modifier bonuses to any clan weapons/equipment they equipped. Additionally there could be some outright penalties such as -1HSL to clan energy weapons, increased heat penalty when breaking HSL limits, or a penalty to lock times when using Clan missiles (in addition to getting the Clan LRM streams vs IS burst fire.), or AC ballistic reload times.

And you are definitely giving PGI too much credit with their abilities. Even those players, including myself, who suggest PGI should change the isXL to survive the loss of one ST while giving the isXL, cXL and LFE different non-lethal penalties that is not a guaranteed instant death even at 0% heatbar is likely even beyond their interest.

#432 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:12 PM

Since quirks are listed in this thread, I'd like to add that it'd probably be a good idea to re-think how you setup quirks. It's fine to take the stock loadout into account but it really shouldn't be the dominant decider on what quirks a mech gets. I'd suggest build variety as the primary goal with what will make them strong second and then stock loadout last as the sort of priority ladder.
https://mwomercs.com...e-think-quirks/

#433 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 02:00 PM

Now that engineers are looking at some mech models, can we please get some X-plugs for those torso spaces the WHM-4L can't mount any weapons in? Please, please, please!
Posted Image

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 03 March 2021 - 02:01 PM.

#434 Bubbalex

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 03:15 PM

I'm not sure if this suggestion fits best here or in another thread, but here's a minor tweak I've thought about for several years:

As a mech's weight drops during a match (due to ballistic ammo depletion or maybe even loss of components like arms), it's max speed should increase according to its weight/engine size calculation in the mech lab. This would represent a small but noticeable advantage for lighter mechs that run ballistic weapons, and in some cases help damaged mechs improve their late game survivability. I think this would be a fair change because it would mimic real physics.

Edited by Bubbalex, 05 March 2021 - 03:16 PM.

#435 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 733 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:08 PM

FIREMOTH

Work's almost done since it's basically a Mist Lynx with different arms, and it is the last mech missing from the original 20 invasion clan mechs. And it was in MWO2 so what's not to love? Gimme my Firemoth!

#436 tangles 253

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 05:26 AM

How about an owens?

#437 Darion Rothgarr

• PipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:18 PM

More Ballistic Centric Variants for the Energy Heavy Mechs. Balance Hardpoints by weight class for pete sake.... How can a light have 12 Hardpoints and a heavy have only 5?

The Crusader, Wasp, Stinger additions, including the IIC variants for Clan.
Firemoth for clans.

Put the Awesome on a Diet and have it Lose some fat... for gods sake please.

#438 Bill Tuer-Der Gute Bill

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 88 posts
  • LocationKüstenverteidigung

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:16 PM

How can a light have 12 Hardpoints? Piranha clan 12 Ballistic, 12 Maschine-Guns, its BT-Lore. There is a 100Tonnen Clan-Battlemech with 14 Ballistic, the Bane or Kraken, 10 U/AC2 and 4 Maschineguns!^^ If you want to know more about Mechs: https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page Please bring the BANE!!!^^

Edited by Bill Tuer-Der Gute Bill, 09 March 2021 - 02:22 PM.

#439 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:24 PM

Would love to see the Crusader make it into MWO! Definite nostalgia as that was the first mech I ever played TT with way back when.

The leg mounted SRM's would suck for hill poking, but would be awesome for splatting those leg hugging lights!

Posted Image

#440 tingod

• PipPipPip
  • Leutnant-General
  • Leutnant-General
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 07:11 AM

time to say it again:

bring the quadrupeds!

Edited by tingod, 10 March 2021 - 07:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users