Monday Mechwarrior Update With Daeron #05

88 replies to this topic

#21 NAMEUNKOWN

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 03:25 AM

@ Daeron dont forget this game was crowd funded from mech warrior die hards. of whom 80 to 90 percent left.
if PGI does not fix faction play to what was promised . you will not get them back.

#22 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 423 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 03:36 AM

The more I speak with former unit-members and exiteers, the more it seems like only a massive overhaul will draw significant portions of players back into the game.

*sigh*

#23 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 02 December 2020 - 03:56 AM

Tiny tiny steps...

#24 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 04:47 AM

Gonna wait and IIC

#25 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPort Torture, Washington, USA

Posted 02 December 2020 - 05:37 AM

View Posthardenum, on 02 December 2020 - 02:30 AM, said:

Compelled to play? what does that even mean?

It would be that feeling you get when you find a game you enjoy so much, it draws you in and the next thing you know, your wife is bitching about why you never came to bed last night

#26 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,408 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 02 December 2020 - 06:00 AM

Even Razer the eSports mouse maker has a limited edition cp2077 styled mouse.

Did MW5 achieve the same results with Razer? NO.

Did the original MWO achieve the same results? No, but at least Razer did flirt around with MWO,
did a proof of concept gaming rig, and even gave out bonus razer dice hanging item at one point!

View Postbyebye360, on 01 December 2020 - 01:07 PM, said:

In what way are you competing with cp2077 a completely different type of game, its like saying everything when doom released should have changed its release date for it.

[Redacted]

#27 Agent Super Chicken

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 06:37 AM

I do not want to miss the giveaways - how do we get notifications for when streams of that are happening?

#28 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 08:14 AM

TL, DW , gimme text to read please Posted Image

And now tell me : who is going to buy any of what has been said ?
Not I .

Deliver first, maybe then we can talk .

Edited by B0oN, 02 December 2020 - 08:14 AM.

#29 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:31 AM

Moving cadets to T5 will also greatly increase the incentive for players to create smurf accounts to farm them. If only there is a way to automatically detect smurfs after 1-2 games hmmm.....

#30 rascje

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 429 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:14 AM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 01 December 2020 - 04:54 PM, said:

I appreciate your concern, and I hope we can successfully bring some improvements and renewed interest to MWO in 2021.

I hope we make you very happy in 2021.

I want to believe that!

#31 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:19 AM

View PostBuckleUp, on 01 December 2020 - 08:23 PM, said:

Three cheers for moving the cadets to Tier 5! Great to see some progress. Looking forward to the rest!

View PostBowelhacker, on 02 December 2020 - 03:56 AM, said:

Tiny tiny steps...

Another 2 weeks to implement? We've been conditioned to be thankful for any minimal effort.. instead of taking months, this could have been done long ago..

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 02 December 2020 - 10:26 AM.

#32 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:46 AM

View PostPz_DC, on 01 December 2020 - 02:39 PM, said:

View PostC337Skymaster, on 01 December 2020 - 02:25 PM, said:

"It did not feel friendly to new players and I didn't feel compelled to play because I felt like it expected me to know everything," and "It's kind of similar to WOT but WOT has a lot less customization of your mechs and the gameplay is a bit slower paced and you're just paying attention to fewer things, you don't have overheating or anything you just have your gun"

Hope to never see those in MWO - that's why I left WoT coz all those players are brainless and didn't even try to think and find info about how to play a game they have launched! Yes, some tutorial would be good, but tutorial should be like a prologue for long way into but not a "how to run a PC" instruction.
P.S. In MechWarrior game You NEED to know ALL about ANY weapons to play it and get your fun. If You remove that request it will not be MechWarrior game! Bad thing is - devs need new money, and easy way to get it - get new players. Same time, with all those "newbie friendly" changes old players will leave coz "it's not that old hardcore MWO, it's more casual, no fun for me now". Hard to balance, but IMHO it's need to be cleared - MechWarrior game is ALWAYS a game with hard-to-enter state! Look, it's 7 (SEVEN!!!) years passed from MWO release and still in t1 are players who don't know where enemy will be! 99% of all games are predictable if we will look where and when enemy are going and still! Make a game for those who didn't learn in 7 years or refuse to learn at start is "a bit" a mistake...

So I'm not advocating for dumbing down MWO to the same level as WoT by any means (although if we did, maybe we'd finally get Russ to play his own game). I enjoy MWO for its sophistication and complexity, and honestly that's one of the myriad reasons I run stock 'mechs: managing four or five different weapon groups with eight different weapons is much more fun and interesting than having one or two weapon groups with nearly identical weapons (looking at you, laser boats :P).

That said, all of the die-hard MWO players learned to play on MW2, MW3, and MW4, very few of which can be run in the modern day and age. The learning curve in MWO has been so steep for so long because most of us already started near the top of it, anyway. Starting from the bottom of the MWO learning curve is like trying to free-hand climb up the middle of Niagara Falls, or at least: that's the impression I get from non-players that I try to get interested.

We need to flatten the learning curve for people who have NEVER played a mechwarrior game before. This is going to be super difficult for those of us who have been playing for years. I'm kinda hoping Daeron might be married to someone who has no interest in Battletech, because it's that type of person who is going to need to direct the effort for making the game new-player friendly without ruining the veteran experience.

In MW2 and MW3, you were a solo player at first, and you only squared off against one or two enemies at a time for the first few missions. MW2 maxed out at 3 player-controlled units at a time, and MW3 maxed out at 4. MW4 was only 4 at a time, as well, until you got to MW4: Mercs, which gave you 8. Even in MW4, though, where you start every game with a full lance to work with, you don't fight more than one or two enemies at a time, and vehicles are just meant to be target practice.

Then you jump into MWO as a brand new player who's never played a game like this before: you go through the short tutorial, have some idea of where the buttons are, but studying a key-map is boring. You wanna jump into the game and see if you like it! And besides, technical data means NOTHING without the context of a game to place it in. So you pick a trial 'mech and launch. And you immediately get blasted to bits by the PPC sniper, or laser-boat that saw you from 1500m away before they even showed up on radar, without any understanding of what just happened, why, or how. After that happens two or three times, are you going to want to keep playing this 'mech game that you just stumbled across? Or do you want to go play a different game that gives you a chance to survive and learn what you're doing? Hell, even as much as I'm not a fan of respawns, MWLL's respawn mechanic lets you jump in a 'mech and die, but then you get to go get another 'mech, go back to where you just died, and see if you can find the guy that shot you. You have the chance to LEARN. You're also much more likely to get into a 1v1 fight in that game than in MWO.

#33 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:52 AM

The other thing that MW2, MW3, and MW4 had that MWO doesn't, and that a lot of other games have, that MWO doesn't, is a plot: a story. The page-turning nature of a well-written story that drives a player to wonder "what happens next?" is a huge force in encouraging a player to learn the game, learn the mechanics, learn how to play, and get better, rather than just giving up. If there's no story to learn, then what's the point of subjecting yourself to learning something you're not good at? Dying repeatedly isn't fun, and if there's no story, either, then what's the point?

#34 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,408 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:27 AM

For MWO to officially ban "double accounts", several things need to happen:

1) MWO officially declare that only one (1) account per player.

2) MWO would be checking accounts by IP, login/logoff times, when account being played, when account inactive, etc.

3) MWO would need to allow the few "legacy" players who had double IS/Clan accounts. ie: purchased IS mechs for Account #1, and Clan mechs for Account #2, for the purposes of Faction Play. (Or at least that's why I've read on Faction Play forum).

4) After that, double accounts belonging to same player can be banned.

5) Messy part: What about same family members playing together at home WiFi, with same IP ?

View PostNightbird, on 02 December 2020 - 09:31 AM, said:

Moving cadets to T5 will also greatly increase the incentive for players to create smurf accounts to farm them. If only there is a way to automatically detect smurfs after 1-2 games hmmm.....

#35 Daeron Katz

Senior Marketing and Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:50 AM

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 01 December 2020 - 06:21 PM, said:

Daeron, I greet you!
I'm not sure if you continue to track people's comments in the command chair section on forum.
I left a comment on the maps discussion thread, but that topic is already quite large, so I don't know if you have read it to the end.
If it's not too late, please pay attention to the message I left there:
https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6362386

P.S. Thank you for continuing to keep us informed of these developments.

I am keeping up on all of those threads, even though I haven't had the time to comment much. Thank you for your input!

#36 Z Paradox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 102 posts
  • Locationozz

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:07 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 02 December 2020 - 10:52 AM, said:

The other thing that MW2, MW3, and MW4 had that MWO doesn't, and that a lot of other games have, that MWO doesn't, is a plot: a story.

DON'T !, Don't give them that f****** idea, like... we got story in FP with one update and game mode is now a piece of ****, and don't ruin QP more then last update did with group soup... Best help for MWO could be one BIG rollback, or Russ giving lead to someone with more expirience in leading company (someone like prez.Trump (LOL) )

#37 Daeron Katz

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:10 PM

View PostNAMEUNKOWN, on 02 December 2020 - 03:25 AM, said:

@ Daeron dont forget this game was crowd funded from mech warrior die hards. of whom 80 to 90 percent left.
if PGI does not fix faction play to what was promised . you will not get them back.

I remember, I was a Legendary Founder. Faction Play has earned its place on the list and will be addressed one way or another. I think there's more than one option to make it more enjoyable and viable. Before MWO, I came from organized group play in MWLL, years of World of Tanks "Clan Battles", and organized group play in Planetside 1. I get it, I love that kind of gameplay as well.

#38 Daeron Katz

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:16 PM

View PostAgent Super Chicken, on 02 December 2020 - 06:37 AM, said:

I do not want to miss the giveaways - how do we get notifications for when streams of that are happening?

That will be up to the individual streamers, so you'll have to communicate with them directly.

#39 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:20 PM

View PostZ Paradox, on 02 December 2020 - 12:07 PM, said:

DON'T !, Don't give them that f****** idea, like... we got story in FP with one update and game mode is now a piece of ****, and don't ruin QP more then last update did with group soup... Best help for MWO could be one BIG rollback, or Russ giving lead to someone with more expirience in leading company (someone like prez.Trump (LOL) )

I did say "well written", which, from what I'm told, is the specific problem with MW5, currently. We need a page-turner of a story, not a mindless drivel of one. And I'm all for handing the company to someone else [redacted] than Russ. [redacted] We need to give the company to someone with a high degree of knowledge and fandom of the Battletech Universe. Someone like Tex, or Blaine Pardoe.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the single biggest thing that excited me about the earliest rumors of MWO was the concept of "one day at a time". The idea that MWO was going to progress in real time, with the in-universe technologies and events also occurring in real time. That adds that aspect of "what happens next?" for new players who don't know the timeline, and even for experienced players who don't have the dates memorized. Unfortunately, they gave up on that before they even got started, and it's too late to go back to it, now.

EDIT: my Trump comment got redacted, but for the love of God, NOT TRUMP!!!

Edited by C337Skymaster, 04 December 2020 - 05:00 AM.

#40 Daeron Katz

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:45 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 02 December 2020 - 10:46 AM, said:

So I'm not advocating for dumbing down MWO to the same level as WoT by any means (although if we did, maybe we'd finally get Russ to play his own game). I enjoy MWO for its sophistication and complexity, and honestly that's one of the myriad reasons I run stock 'mechs: managing four or five different weapon groups with eight different weapons is much more fun and interesting than having one or two weapon groups with nearly identical weapons (looking at you, laser boats Posted Image).

That said, all of the die-hard MWO players learned to play on MW2, MW3, and MW4, very few of which can be run in the modern day and age. The learning curve in MWO has been so steep for so long because most of us already started near the top of it, anyway. Starting from the bottom of the MWO learning curve is like trying to free-hand climb up the middle of Niagara Falls, or at least: that's the impression I get from non-players that I try to get interested.

We need to flatten the learning curve for people who have NEVER played a mechwarrior game before. This is going to be super difficult for those of us who have been playing for years. I'm kinda hoping Daeron might be married to someone who has no interest in Battletech, because it's that type of person who is going to need to direct the effort for making the game new-player friendly without ruining the veteran experience.

In MW2 and MW3, you were a solo player at first, and you only squared off against one or two enemies at a time for the first few missions. MW2 maxed out at 3 player-controlled units at a time, and MW3 maxed out at 4. MW4 was only 4 at a time, as well, until you got to MW4: Mercs, which gave you 8. Even in MW4, though, where you start every game with a full lance to work with, you don't fight more than one or two enemies at a time, and vehicles are just meant to be target practice.

Then you jump into MWO as a brand new player who's never played a game like this before: you go through the short tutorial, have some idea of where the buttons are, but studying a key-map is boring. You wanna jump into the game and see if you like it! And besides, technical data means NOTHING without the context of a game to place it in. So you pick a trial 'mech and launch. And you immediately get blasted to bits by the PPC sniper, or laser-boat that saw you from 1500m away before they even showed up on radar, without any understanding of what just happened, why, or how. After that happens two or three times, are you going to want to keep playing this 'mech game that you just stumbled across? Or do you want to go play a different game that gives you a chance to survive and learn what you're doing? Hell, even as much as I'm not a fan of respawns, MWLL's respawn mechanic lets you jump in a 'mech and die, but then you get to go get another 'mech, go back to where you just died, and see if you can find the guy that shot you. You have the chance to LEARN. You're also much more likely to get into a 1v1 fight in that game than in MWO.

My wife indeed has no interest in BattleTech, or video games for that matter beyond maybe some Mario Kart with our daughter. That being said, she's volunteered to be the Game Master so my daughter and I can play the new BT set we got from Catalyst.

I think respawns are an interesting idea, and could certainly benefit the new player. We'll have to see if that gets traction.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users