88 replies to this topic

#61 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 07:59 AM

View PostCFC Conky, on 02 December 2020 - 05:00 PM, said:

Perhaps, but to what end? A high Tier player won't stay in T5 very long. I suppose some players will want to start a new account over and over again but will those types of players be common or outliers?

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

The PSR system is pretty slow, they can farm for 100 games to tier 3 and then repeat...

#62 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 424 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 08:05 AM

View PostNightbird, on 03 December 2020 - 07:59 AM, said:

The PSR system is pretty slow, they can farm for 100 games to tier 3 and then repeat...

PGI should be able to identify farmers stat-wise with a little backend-work, not? IIRC you implied that elsewhere already, so why not ask em to do so and (temp)ban?

#63 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 08:52 AM

thats why i say accelerate the cadets. if they are normal players there stats will be an upward progression. if they intentionally potato to bypass the tier seeding and then do well thats going to be a spike thats hard to explain especially for a so called new player. and there are plenty of reasons for legit alt acounts (like people with dedicated clan/is accounts for fp). for those players you will get a steep initial progression and a smooth taper off. might be a little far fetched to ban people based on their psr progression curves. i think a more appropriate response might be to instantly upgrade to t3 if they try and do something like that.

Edited by LordNothing, 03 December 2020 - 09:00 AM.

#64 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 03 December 2020 - 12:28 PM

View PostKaukas, on 01 December 2020 - 12:53 PM, said:

hi all, lets make FACTION WARFARE great again !!!

How about making it closer to what was originally was planned and announced in the first PC Gamer article when MWO was announced.

#65 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 12:32 PM

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 03 December 2020 - 08:05 AM, said:

PGI should be able to identify farmers stat-wise with a little backend-work, not? IIRC you implied that elsewhere already, so why not ask em to do so and (temp)ban?

That's not included in the request. It was just to send new accounts to T5.

#66 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 12:35 PM

View PostGagis, on 02 December 2020 - 03:29 PM, said:

Its been a couple of years so I might have forgotten some a-ha moments but I had a pretty good idea about weapons and their role in engagement ranges at least. Also had a focus on importance of movement and focused fire, though it turns out movement is more important in the board game than it is in MWO. Controls, twisting, cover and spesific loadouts had to be learned, tho MWO does overlap A LOT with the board game in what kind of loadouts work well.

Oh, and I definitely had learned a healthy respect for the danger of carrying XL engines from the board game. Friends don't let friends run XL.

I came into MWO from a distant background of tabletop BT and MW2-4. I think having that background really compressed the learning curve on how armor/crits/heat/ammo and speed would effect the game. That being said this game has a very steep learning curve - I think addressing that would help a lot with player retention.

For what it's worth I often find myself thinking that MWO does a really good job turning an almost 40 year old grindy pen and paper game into a fairly representative fast paced, fun, first person team shooter. That's quite an achievement in my opinion.

Edited by GARION26, 03 December 2020 - 12:59 PM.

#67 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 01:48 PM

View PostGARION26, on 03 December 2020 - 12:35 PM, said:

For what it's worth I often find myself thinking that MWO does a really good job turning an almost 40 year old grindy pen and paper game into a fairly representative fast paced, fun, first person team shooter. That's quite an achievement in my opinion.

Not only that, but MWO has decent IS vs Clan balance and still retains some character for each. Clans are absolutely pants on head dumb in the board game (and as an addition to the fictional universe), and none of the other games in the franchise even attempt to balance them because its such a colossal mess. MWO did.

Oh, and as far as NPE goes. The default mouse sensitivity in MWO is still 1.0 isn't it? Practically every competitive player runs something between 0.1 and 0.2, so the default is 10 times more than what actually works for aiming with a regular modern mouse.

The same goes for the default field of view. The FOV 60 of Cryengine is default for playing console games on TV from a sofa and is WAYYYYYYY too small if you play a PC game sitting at the same desk your monitor is on. The default should probably be 75 or 80 instead.

A lot of seemingly experienced players play MWO with default settings, which leaves them with a MASSIVE handicap. The mouse sensitivity in particular matters extremely much.

Edited by Gagis, 03 December 2020 - 01:49 PM.

#68 Z Paradox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 102 posts
  • Locationozz

Posted 03 December 2020 - 02:58 PM

View PostGagis, on 03 December 2020 - 01:48 PM, said:

A lot of seemingly experienced players play MWO with default settings, which leaves them with a MASSIVE handicap. The mouse sensitivity in particular matters extremely much.

sorry bro, my 2$ mouse is special and works fine with default settings Posted Image

#69 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,412 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 03 December 2020 - 06:25 PM

Wow, thank you for your tip!
I did not know this.

Horrified that it's "common knowledge" to set FOV to 75-80, and mouse sensitivity to 0.1 as best practice, especially for more competitive players. Perhaps MWO ingame defaults need to be adjusted to reflect this?

BTW, I have been reading up on MWO Forums a lot since July 2020 when I joined, but never read about this above tip?
Perhaps this needs to be stickied also?
(This is feedback to MWO).

View PostLockheed_, on 03 December 2020 - 03:32 PM, said:

I always thought setting the FOV to somewhere between 75 and 80 and setting the mouse to 0.1 was common knowledge, but you are right, the game's default is pretty bad and as new player you dont know about the optimal settings immediately.

#70 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 424 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:06 PM

If you have not already, check out the newest NGNGtv-Podcasts with Sean, Daeron and Matt. One of the more uplifting contributions regarding MWOs future for some time tbh.

#71 Spare Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationAlso StankDog the damp

Posted 04 December 2020 - 10:38 AM

All this talk about banning people...

Folks, we are trying to increase the server population, not run people off. When I started Cadets started out in Tier 5. We didn't have a problem then, why would we have one now?

#72 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:16 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 01 December 2020 - 12:28 PM, said:

There's some truly insightful takes on the YT comment section that I feel that should be reiterated here, here's one of them that isn't mean that is Robert Baker's. The mean one is actually Corwyn's.

Spoiler

- Robert Baker

He speaks the truth.

Seriously, I feel that PGI are Amy's Baking Company right now, the one Gordon Ramsay gave up. "Mostly postive reaction", meanwhile their feeds were curated -- short-hand for not listening to criticisms, you know "safe space". While I don't exactly have a gauge of all reaction for the announcement, the fact that it's "curated" puts the legitimacy in question, especially when they are known to lie time and time again -- so much promises made but never delivered.

3 Seconds? Just 3 seconds for them to realize that it was a good plan delaying their game? Seriously, is that supposed to make us feel better? That there was barely a thought in there considering how the community would feel? Or what will it do to the community? You think delaying the game is such a low-hanging fruit? And you know what, sure, why not? My issue is how you approached it, that 3+ month is such a substantial delay. If you wanted attention, you could have just released base-game and then release the DLC later. Likewise you don't have to release with consoles simultaneously -- there are plenty of games that didn't dropped at the same time.

Funny thing is that, well, it sounded that they did lie with Dec 10 Release, as per Oct 10 announcement during RazerCon, because their concern of delay goes far back -- CP2077 was just the scapegoat, it's all about the EG7 deal. All that talk about "better MWO 2021" made me feel like it's just done so that you could present yourself to be in good terms with the community for EG7. "2021 is a good year to be a MW Fan", just feels like more of a lie that you people tell to convince yourselves.

And that video with Sean, god damn that just made me even more angry. You already got a serviceable game. Dafuq will 3 more months do in the 1 year and Epic-Money you had? Even HBS BattleTech cranked out more content than you did. You couldn't even get Epic-Exclusivity right since it was shadow-released on Microsoft Store and XBox Gamepass -- or maybe it's just a deal to screw Steam and GoG? I mean after all, if you can shadow-release it on Microsoft and XBox Gamepass, why not Steam and Gog? This sounds like overt maliciousness from you.

Console? While I don't want to gate people from the hobby, I feel that you're just going to fool the normies into game. Why would you need PC Release to be in line with Console release? It's not like they get the news only from the Steam Store, and then proceeds to XBox/PS. This sounds like you're relying on the console players not yet seeing the game to fool them into trying them out.

"Pay off is worth it" "The wait will be worth it, we promise" -- but that's the problem, we (I) don't trust you. You and your constant mismanagement and despicable mistreatment of the community eroded trust, and the most annoying thing is that you deluded yourselves that you're doing well, you're "doing amazing things".

But all you had to show for it is a lack-luster DLC of a game that is widely regarded as terrible by the community that people make fun of me for trying to boycott because it wasn't worth it in the first-place; Mod-Tools that were originally pitched for Steam Workshop -- even Hat in Time has it's own tools, how the hell MW5 is going to participate to the Workshop then? No more Steam Workshop I take it?; 3 to 6 months more waiting for an already 1-year exclusivity that already ****** us over; and then the talk of how awesome MWO would be in 2021 without even having done anything substantial so far.

HBS provided more content in 1 year than you did. Released at April 24 2019, Flashpoint released on Nov 27 2018 -- that is 217 days. And the Urban Warfare on June 4 2019, and Heavy Metal on Nov 21, 2019 -- that is literally 3 DLCs under 365 days from the first DLC. But what have you got? MW5 released on EGS on Dec 10 2019, and the first-DLC ain't even going to release Dec 10 2020, nor the base-game for other platforms. You literally have 1 year, and your output is still ****.

"Doing amazing things"? This auto-fellative VLog just annoyed me more.

I will believe a better MWO when we see it, and I'll see MW5 on Steam during a sale with significant discount. People at MW5 discord argued that it's unreasonable to demand discount on what is basically a new release in other stores, that you people deserve the revenue. But the revenue is decided by customers when they bought the product with the price they agree. No way I'm paying full price for a ( **** of a ) game that already released for more than a year, I was but not anymore.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 07 December 2020 - 12:04 AM.

#73 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:51 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 04 December 2020 - 03:16 PM, said:

There's some truly insightful takes on the YT comment section that I feel that should be reiterated here, here's one of them that isn't mean that is Robert Baker's. The mean one is actually Corwyn's.

That commentary was pure epic!!! And 100% true!

#74 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 07:34 PM

View PostZ Paradox, on 03 December 2020 - 02:58 PM, said:

sorry bro, my 2$ mouse is special and works fine with default settings Posted Image

my mouse was like $11, but it has $23 in replacement parts in it. it was hard to source the rotory encoder in quantity one, so i ordered 50 of them instead. i also ordered a hundred clicky switches. they hold out for 6-10 months usually. theres also the lithium ion mod i did so i only have to charge it once in a blue moon.

#75 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 07:40 PM

View PostSpare Knight, on 04 December 2020 - 10:38 AM, said:

All this talk about banning people...

Folks, we are trying to increase the server population, not run people off. When I started Cadets started out in Tier 5. We didn't have a problem then, why would we have one now?

im not advocating bans, forced tier re-assignment perhaps.

Edited by LordNothing, 04 December 2020 - 08:15 PM.

#76 selfish shellfish

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 06:25 AM

Regarding the mouse sensitivity debate:

A cheap gaming mouse has 3000 - 6000 dpi.
A top of the line gaming mouse has 20 000 - 25 000 dpi.
A normal non-gaming mouse has 800 - 1200 dpi.

dpi = "dots per inch" resolution of the optical sensor.

So if you have a a non-gamin mouse at say 800 dpi then you most likely are fine with the default mouse sensitivity. If you have a gaming mouse then you either need to reduce it's dpi or lower the mouse sensitivity.

The thing to remember here is that whatever you change the default mouse sensitivity to be it will always need adjustments by the end user. There is a huge range from 800 - 25 000 dpi and there is no one correct setting for everyone. In addition the display resolution used also affect this formula (1080p, 4K, 8K).

Regarding the Tier5 debate:

The current system has cadets placed in matches against Tiers 1-3. This is effectively feeding them to the more experienced players. If cadets are put into the safety of Tier5 do your really think that alt accounts will be a bigger issue than what we have now?

#77 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 05 December 2020 - 08:27 AM

Can only dream of if Faction Warfare could ever be revamped to be akin to the proposal at that stage presentation, years back.

-In which faction you join gives you the ability to get access to faction specific mechs.

-More unique mechs for those who choose to become a part of the faction, in other terms LOYALISTS.
--The Free Rasalhague Republic which Im certainly will jump back into. Dosent have unique specific mechs to them but a mishmash from both Draconis and Lyrans. Could have broader selection of variants to compensate maybe. I know the FRR had alot of Shadowhawks, Banshees, Fleas etc.. More variants of those specific to FRR territory could do for example.

- Repair and Rearm function for Faction Play. But only for this mode. Why? Well, immersion, something to work towards AND...
-- Maintianing an specific economy for this very game mode.
--- Logistics also, as an important part.

I've heard and missed the dreaded R&R era back in the day ( I joined MWO, late 2014, I think ) It seems it was a brutal phase and you didnt get enough CBILL or whatnot to compensate the varying learning curve per match basis.
So I do agree, even if not having experienced it, that r&r should stay OUT of quick play, S7 etc. Only in Faction Warfare.

- More varied maps and modes, for faction play.

- Fill in description + background lore for as many planets you can be bothered with.

- Make Loyalist, Mercs and Freelancer be very distinct with great prso and at least some fair cons.

- Question if tier rank from other modes should count for FW aswell or just start from scratch? Hmm.

- Make a in-depth tutorial maybe for FW specifically. Advetising the mode more. Rookies need to be eased into it. Not only them but rusty vets, pros, experts. Dosent hurt IMO. Also if my ideas here gets real ( r&r, logistics, faction specific mech store/ rewards )

- Balance the loopholes with could be done ( not sure how it is now, been out of the loop for a long time.. ) I think I remember that Mercs could easly act like " Loyalists " just to reap rewards then end their deal. Maybe make it so there could be harsher requirments? Freelancers should maybe have a bigger " carrot reward(s) " for you to stay freelancer?

- Cetain planets have certain feature, like minerals, ores, production facilities. Make planets more worth to conquer and hold unto besides just merc credit inflow and bragging rights.

- All start from SCRATCH regarding mechs, equipments, mods, whatever.
SCRATCH. In tandem with totally revamping the Faction Warfare mode.
No! This does not mean you lose any mechs, xp boost, equipment and so on from you account, ONLY for Faction Warfare.
I do think a blank slate is needed so all can start an fair/ equal playing field.
FW is a fantastic concept. But ohoy, its IMO ( again, I only were very into that mode in the phase 1 & 2 era, FRR struggle for real! ) bare bones and non immersive and not so interesting except... bragging rights?

#78 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 05 December 2020 - 10:01 AM

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 03 December 2020 - 08:05 AM, said:

Prior to the PSR reset, new player accounts had started in Tier 5 with a Cadet bonus which was for the first 25 games, and part of that Cadet bonus had a PSR multiplier for the first 10 games. Players have shown that the they could get to Tier 3 then 2 in 10 games or less.

Issue with the PSR reset with a zero sum was that it was not a true zero-sum setup, ie Tier 1-5, it was only a zero sum calculation for those on that specific drop, thus there was no real reason to toss EVERYONE into Tier 3, both exiting accounts and current/incoming new accounts. And since MWO does have a tough learning curve, dropping new, inexperienced players in the middle of the pack where they would face much tougher opposition more often than not is unconscionable. And if PGI had even gone another way with the MM, they would have fraked it up to.

PGI was lazy. PGI should have seeded only Tier 1-2-3 into Tier 3 and left Tier 4-5 where they were at while also starting new accounts in Tier 5 while modifying the percentage of that 1st 10-games of that part of the cadet bonus. From what I had read, that 10-game PSR modifier (up/down) was removed completely, since new accounts started in Tier 3, the the max PSR values themselves had been increased.

#79 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 10:14 AM

View Postselfish shellfish, on 05 December 2020 - 06:25 AM, said:

Regarding the mouse sensitivity debate:

A cheap gaming mouse has 3000 - 6000 dpi.
A top of the line gaming mouse has 20 000 - 25 000 dpi.
A normal non-gaming mouse has 800 - 1200 dpi.

dpi = "dots per inch" resolution of the optical sensor.

So if you have a a non-gamin mouse at say 800 dpi then you most likely are fine with the default mouse sensitivity. If you have a gaming mouse then you either need to reduce it's dpi or lower the mouse sensitivity.

Absolutely not fine. I just checked. I have a cheap gaming mouse and I tuned its dpi down from 2000 to 1750. At 1750 I still want to have my in game sensitivity at 0.1.

With some ancient mouse with 800dpi, the optimum might be more like 0.2 and the default of 1.0 is still FIVE TIMES the reasonable value. That is absolutely absurd.

I'd go as far as to say that absurdly high mouse sensitivity is one of the leading causes of why some players never get good.

Edited by Gagis, 05 December 2020 - 10:15 AM.

#80 selfish shellfish

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 10:51 AM

View PostGagis, on 05 December 2020 - 10:14 AM, said:

With some ancient mouse with 800dpi, the optimum might be more like 0.2 and the default of 1.0 is still FIVE TIMES the reasonable value. That is absolutely absurd.

I have a one year old Microsoft Basic optical mouse with 800dpi. It works fine with the default settings. At 0.1 or 0.2 I would need a large mouse pad and use my whole hand to move around. Perhaps that is another thing to consider? Small mouse pad vs. large mouse mat? Small wrist movements vs. moving the whole hand?

Regardless I feel like this all boils down to user preference and there is no one magical correct value. Still it is puzzling that so many are advocating 0.1 or 0.2 as the default mouse sensitivity. Perhaps there is some bigger underlying hardware / software related issue that I am simply not seeing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users